Extending Replay Value of Personal Story

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I brought this up last year but my post may have been TLDR (too long didn’t read), so I’m shortening it to:

• Allow us to replay our personal story missions to see how better we’ve become as players
  • Make a hard mode for personal story with its own achievements and alternate boss fights

Two me those two features will go a long way of extending the single player aspect of the game. By letting players replay their own personal story through the “My Story” section of the hero panel, will let players revisit, and maybe discover story information they misseed the first time around. Also this change will give Anet the ability to change any boss fight to make them more engaging (example Zhaitan).

reapex.8546

I forgot to add, if anyone supports this idea please respond or this topic will be pushed down and forgotten about it. I guess if no one does respond, it means players don’t want to be able to revisit missions or do hard mode like in Guild Wars 1.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

I miss being able to perform bonus objectives for titles just like the original GW but I suppose the developers wanted to stray away from it for a good reason.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

I would like to see more personal story, and maybe bring it out of its linear nature, maybe discover new personal story paths in the open world.

reapex.8546

I would like to see more personal story, and maybe bring it out of its linear nature, maybe discover new personal story paths in the open world.

That’s a great idea for an expansion, I was thinking along the lines of how to extend the replay value without having to create new content.

reapex.8546

I miss being able to perform bonus objectives for titles just like the original GW but I suppose the developers wanted to stray away from it for a good reason.

I forgot about the bonus objectives those were fun but I also like being able to replay the GW1 Missions to see my skill growth, understand the story more, and for the general fun factor

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

and make the last instance—-SOLO!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’d settle for just being able to re-play it.

It seems like it’d be relatively easy to do, add a button to each section in the Hero panel, or an NPC somewhere (LA?) who functions like the pool in the Hall of Monuments in GW1, letting you pick a section to re-play. Clicking it would re-create the green star marker and then you just go there and play through it as normal, with the rewards at the end removed obviously.

It’d be really nice to be able to replay favourite parts, or remind myself of the last part before moving on if it’s been a while since I did it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I quite enjoyed the PS, up until Orr at least. Not that I felt the story was lacking. I’m just not a big fan of Orr. And the talking tree angers me. But that said I really enjoyed the story missions. And now I’ve got to grips with builds etc, I’m really having fin playing through with alts. But I would like to redo them all with my main. That would be nice to steam roller some of the fights I had trouble with, when I didn’t know what I was doing.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

You know what I’d also like to see – unlocked features for having completed the Personal Story.

Give us a flowchart or grid or some such for the Personal Story for that given race – showing ALL possible options – regardless of whether we’d taken it to begin with. Then allow us to play those options. Don’t let it overwrite our initial results, but at least let us see and play that content… Call it Another Life or whatever – you can even add achievements for it like Norn Completionist for doing all the Personal Story missions for a norn character lv 1-30 or so.

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Personal story in gw2 is the worst story I’ve done in a mmo I wouldn’t even bother repeating it

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

They need to expand the PS in general, IMO instead of the LW. New missions, bigger missions, the ability to replay missions, and recruiting allies to customize and take with you in missions.

Posted by: bleyzwun.1204

bleyzwun.1204

Replaying would be OK. I’d rather see them add more to the personal story, and make it personal unlike half of what we got the first time.

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

I would like to see the dignity/charm/ferocity personality traits expanded http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personality

during character creation:
“The second question determines the character’s initial personality, which affects how NPCs react to the character (typically as differences among dialogue choices).’

what a wasted opportunity that could still be utilized if they tried.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

reapex.8546

I would like to see the dignity/charm/ferocity personality traits expanded http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personality

“The second question determines the character’s initial personality, which affects how NPCs react to the character (typically as differences among dialogue choices).’

They actually implemented this in a few npcs dialogues but I agree more could be done with it. This is kind of off topic though.

reapex.8546

I’d settle for just being able to re-play it.

It’d be really nice to be able to replay favourite parts, or remind myself of the last part before moving on if it’s been a while since I did it.

I agree, I and others spent many months repeating missions in GW1 just so we could get better at them or see what part of the story we missed.

reapex.8546

They need to expand the PS in general, IMO instead of the LW.

Expanding the personal story will take even more time but that maybe what they are working on now behind the scenes of Living World.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

They actually implemented this in a few npcs dialogues but I agree more could be done with it. This is kind of off topic though.

They could have used it in the cutscenes if they really wanted to. Imagine it, when that one guy dies during the Orr thing, instead of saying that little thing when his girlfriend/wife got angry at you, for your character to respond (if far enough in the force personality line), “How the hell do you think I feel!? I tried and killed as many of those kitten Risen as I could, and it wasn’t enough!”

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

ha! that would be cool

I think there are only so many options and combinations so this would not be a really difficult thing to implement and it would be a way for many people to get some immersion with their character and what she/he has gone through.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

reapex.8546

They could have used it in the cutscenes if they really wanted to. Imagine it, when that one guy dies during the Orr thing, instead of saying that little thing when his girlfriend/wife got angry at you, for your character to respond (if far enough in the force personality line), “How the hell do you think I feel!? I tried and killed as many of those kitten Risen as I could, and it wasn’t enough!”

You’re right or bring up your mentor and discuss your loss. But that will be going along the lines of Mass Effect but its definitely possible. Would just enjoy redoing story missions, like the Charr that is afraid of Ghost Cows

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Bonus objectives were really fun in GW1. I would replay the missions until i got them. It would be a nice idea for Personal Story, but i don’t see them working for anything else, since the achievement system pretty much replaces it.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Personally, I’d rather Arena.net drop the whole personal story after you choose an order. That’s really where the cracks begin to show anyway.

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

I fear/think GW2 in general has a severe lack of replay value in general and these steps could go a long way to correcting that.

Another suggestion I’d like to pitch is the possibility of daily, rotating content quests linked to the PL. They’d basically be short/one-off quests which involve you doing some day-in-the-life/side-story quests involving instances, choices, and temporary changes to your home instance.
They would be broken down into three major categories, namely Racial, Order, and Pact and each category would unlock as you complete the respective story arcs.

Everyday, an NPC would appear in your home instance and you’d get a notice they’d like your help with something, racial ones would be your DE member, Order can be the racial liaison from your story (like Hiroki from the Vigil for humans who picked Vigil), and Pact could be Trahearne or someone else. You talk to them, go on a short, personal-story like adventure, and then it’s pretty much done.

The best part of such a system though is that more and different missions could be added over time, such as ones tying closer into your personal story choices or even your profession. You don’t even need voice acting, text boxes would work well enough.

And I went on a tangent.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I’d replay steps just for the XP.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I’d certainly enjoy replaying the ps.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

NG+ Personal Story would be really cool, especially if you could give it a hard mode.

Nalhadia – Kaineng