Extra character slot

Extra character slot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Where are people getting the idea from? Why did everyone think that they’d get a free character slot with the base expansion?

Extra character slot

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

From Guild Wars 1.

Extra character slot

Posted by: Dott.5672

Dott.5672

Because a lot of people have no free character slots and want to play revenant without having to delete an existing character.

“Guild Wars 2 fans are big role-players, and
we love to give them the tools they need
to have big, important events!” Stop lying, ANet.

Extra character slot

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

I would hardly call $50 free…

Extra character slot

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

From Guild Wars 1.

You know, that thing from which Guild Wars 2 has everything we loved, and more.

20 level 80s and counting.

Extra character slot

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I dunno, common sense might have something to do with it.
You know, if you make a NEW PROFESSION one of the biggest selling factors, people are going to expect being able to actually create such a character, without having to delete existing characters or having to pay extra to make room for it.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Extra character slot

Posted by: Salonikios.3154

Salonikios.3154

Biggest problem you have mate is the character slot? Cant you see they are forcing us to rebuy the base game as well? lol

Extra character slot

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

MMO expansions normally come with free character slot.That is a common knowledge.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Extra character slot

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Biggest problem you have mate is the character slot? Cant you see they are forcing us to rebuy the base game as well? lol

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Base-game-included-with-the-49-99-expansion/page/5#post5160368

koita stin korifi (look on the top)

Extra character slot

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Yep i don’t have problem with rebuying the game.I have problem with the character slot.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Extra character slot

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Guildwars 1 did NOT have a precedent of always giving a free character slot with it’s non-stand alone expansions.

The Campaigns added free character slots because they were stand alone. The Eye of the North was an expansion, was not stand alone and did not add a free character slot.

Only the stand alone products added character slots because if they didn’t, how could someone who only bought Nightfall play the game?

Extra character slot

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Guildwars 1 did NOT have a precedent of always giving a free character slot with it’s non-stand alone expansions.

The Campaigns added free character slots because they were stand alone. The Eye of the North was an expansion, was not stand alone and did not add a free character slot.

Only the stand alone products added character slots because if they didn’t, how could someone who only bought Nightfall play the game?

And yet they price it closer to a standalone game than an expansion.

Extra character slot

Terrahero.9358

That has nothing to do with the argument of “Guild Wars 1 did it!” because Guild Wars 1 didn’t.

The price is a subjective opinion. I personally don’t find it a very appealing price at all, the expansion is as much as i paid for the base game.

Extra character slot

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I agree with Kuru, the price is more along the lines of a campaign and not an expansion.

Extra character slot

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

One sad side affect: they will be alot less inclined to give a ‘sale’ on character slots in the gem store now.

Extra character slot

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

Seriously using eye of north as an example that gw1 didn’t ALWAYS give extra char slots is funny. The campaigns gave you extra slots as they included NEW PROFESSIONS. Eye of the north did not.

HoT includes a new profession, so to make that statement correct:

GW1 ALWAYS gave you extra character slots when they included NEW PROFESSIONS.

There, that reads more accurate :-)

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Extra character slot

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

The base game has 5 character slots. HoT is advertised as including the base game. The Deluxe and Ultimate editions are advertised as having an extra character slot.

This means there are two scenarios:

1. Buying the Standard HoT gives you 5 additional slots while Deluxe and Ultimate provide 6 slots.

2. Buying the Standard HoT gives NO additional slots while Deluxe and Ultimate provide 1 slot. This would constitute FALSE ADVERTISING as all three versions would NOT contain the base game (since the base game has 5 character slots).

I’d like to get some clarification from someone who has bought it as to which of these is the actual situation.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Extra character slot

Posted by: Ryouzanpaku.1273

Ryouzanpaku.1273

The base game has 5 character slots. HoT is advertised as including the base game. The Deluxe and Ultimate editions are advertised as having an extra character slot.

This means there are two scenarios:

1. Buying the Standard HoT gives you 5 additional slots while Deluxe and Ultimate provide 6 slots.

2. Buying the Standard HoT gives NO additional slots while Deluxe and Ultimate provide 1 slot. This would constitute FALSE ADVERTISING as all three versions would NOT contain the base game (since the base game has 5 character slots).

I’d like to get some clarification from someone who has bought it as to which of these is the actual situation.

lol…. just lol

Player plays the game. MetaKitten plays the DPS meter on the golem.

Extra character slot

Posted by: Randall.7306

Randall.7306

The stand-alone campaigns could be installed alone, which gave 4 slots, or be tied in a pre-existing campaign, giving +2 slots to that account, so you can try the two new professions available.

This way, existing costumers were happy to add the campaigns, because it made sense for them (for us). You could use your existing characters in that new lands, or start new characters there with the 2 slots.

Eye of the North didn’t add professions, and was a truly expansion instead of stand-alone. it has a price tag lower than the full campaigns, and for that price added an amount of content that looked fair for players at that time.

Now we have a weird thing, that is an expansion but adds professions, that requires the core game but really doesn’t require the core game because is included, but is not included if you already have it, and requires buy extra slots if your slots are full, and have a price similar to a full campaign instead of an expansion. And for what is seen, it doesn’t adds a lot of content.

Marketing, hype generation, costumer satisfaction and price structure clearly failed here.

Extra character slot

Terrahero.9358

Seriously using eye of north as an example that gw1 didn’t ALWAYS give extra char slots is funny. The campaigns gave you extra slots as they included NEW PROFESSIONS. Eye of the north did not.

HoT includes a new profession, so to make that statement correct:

GW1 ALWAYS gave you extra character slots when they included NEW PROFESSIONS.

There, that reads more accurate :-)

No this was the discussion we had months ago.

Some people believed that anet always gave a free slot if new professions were added, others believed that it only added a new slot when it was stand alone.

Looking at the content that was released historicaly both could have potentially been true. As it was only the stand alone campaigns that added new professions.

The first was the Theory of Generosity, that anet in their benevolance gave free character slots to try out the new profesions. The other was honestly just common sense. Stand alone campaigns needed character slots or else they couldn’t be stand alones!
If you already had a stand alone game you weren’t denied the slots that came with another stand alone, they were added to your total. Afterall the game was advertised with that content. Would be a kitten move to only give extra content to new players, but forget about your regulars that supported you all this time.

You just backed the wrong theory.

(edited by Terrahero.9358)

Extra character slot

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The core game came with 5 slots, one for each race, not each profession. So the argument that adding a profession should give us a character slot is invalid.

Similar to GW campaigns, City of Villains (a standalone/expansion) came with 8 slots per server BUT if you also had City of Heroes and applied CoV to your CoH account you now had 12 slots. However later when they added a pure expansion, Going Rogue, it came with no extra slots.

So “it’s universal to MMO expansions” is also moot.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Extra character slot

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I’ve played Neverwinter for almost 2 years, it has had around 6 modules (small expansions) with some new content. thever have been new races and new classes added. not even ONCE did we get any free character slot with them.

Extra character slot

Posted by: BotsPSI.9784

BotsPSI.9784

Actually you are wrong, Eye of the North did gave people 2 free characters slots,
I bought prophecies (4 slots) then factions (2 slots) then nightfall (2 slots) then GWEN (0 slots) = 8 slots, because the base total was 8 slots, but if you bought prophecies (4) and then skip to GWEN (2) you’d have 6 slots and then end up decidind to buy factions and nightfall, the last one would give you 0 slots!

In sum, the slots in gw1 would be 4+2+2+0 in whichever order you bought the games, expect GWEN could not be the first one because it was an expansion

Extra character slot

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Something everyone is forgetting is that by preordering GWEN you got a free slot (least I believe that was true because my GW1 account does have 9 slots and I never bought one).

Extra character slot

Terrahero.9358

Actually you are wrong, Eye of the North did gave people 2 free characters slots,
I bought prophecies (4 slots) then factions (2 slots) then nightfall (2 slots) then GWEN (0 slots) = 8 slots, because the base total was 8 slots, but if you bought prophecies (4) and then skip to GWEN (2) you’d have 6 slots and then end up decidind to buy factions and nightfall, the last one would give you 0 slots!

In sum, the slots in gw1 would be 4+2+2+0 in whichever order you bought the games, expect GWEN could not be the first one because it was an expansion

Every single hit i get on google with relation to getting extra character slots with EotN backs me up when i say you do not get extra character slots with EotN.

So are you absolutely sure? Because you seem to be the only one.