Extra gathering strikes bugged?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kunzaito.8169

Kunzaito.8169

Has anyone else noticed that they are no longer getting any extra gathering strikes for nodes? I have a bunch of alts parked at flax farms and it recently dawned on me that for a couple of weeks I didn’t think I’d had a single bonus strike. So I started paying close attention and in the days since, nada.

Someone suggested to me that it’s due to the WvW PVE buff removal, but that can’t account for this complete lack. Even on the days just after reset I formerly could expect a node or two across all my characters to get another strike. But now nada, not one.

Seems like more than bad RNG here… anyone else observe this?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There have been a couple of threads about it. You could, if desired, use Google to search for them, and players responses. Might try the Bugs sub-forum.

I believe the consensus was it is mostly due to the removal of Power of the Mists and RNG. Also, depending on the Gathering Tool used (some incorporate extra strikes in the initial animation).

Good luck.

Posted by: Kunzaito.8169

Kunzaito.8169

I’m using standard tools that you get from the vendor – it always before required another button press for any additional strikes (different from getting multiple quantity on the same strike). Maybe they changed the mechanic on this? Still, I used to routinely get 15-20 flax per harvest, and now it’s 11-13.

I don’t want to be the guy that insists that his small sample size is the only truth, so it may be as you say just losing the buff + bad RNG, but it still seems fishy. As I said, before even on the weekend when Power of the Mists was at its weakest I’d get some extra strikes; hard to believe the removal of a few percent chance would account for an 0-fer. But maybe?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Power of the Mists used to give people in PvE bonus strikes and we just never paid attention to the fact it was solely due to WvW. ANet delinked WvW from PvE, so we lost the bonus (and for reasons known only to them, they didn’t buff the base chance).

So yes, that accounts for the complete lack, because the buff built up really quickly.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I noticed, awhile before the loss of Power of the Mists, that I gathered 10 items from Rich Veins with only 3 strikes (i.e. stopped needing that fourth swing). I thought it odd, but nothing worth reporting or posting about. Perhaps, a change happened back then to gathering in general. /shrug

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Someone suggested to me that it’s due to the WvW PVE buff removal, but that can’t account for this complete lack. Even on the days just after reset I formerly could expect a node or two across all my characters to get another strike. But now nada, not one.

That assumes there is a greater than 0% chance for extra strikes as a baseline. The extra gathering chance is not mentioned anywhere else in the game so there is no reason to assume there is a non-zero baseline.

When Power of the Mists was around the minimum was 2% even right after reset.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Why would WvW have anything to do with PvE? I’m not seeing a connection with my little grey cells.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Because…

Power of the Mists was a mechanic that rewarded all players in WvW and PvE with bonuses based on their home world’s war score.

To learn more: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Mists

Good luck.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Why would WvW have anything to do with PvE? I’m not seeing a connection with my little grey cells.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Mists

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

OK, I didn’t know about that. Probably because I don’t WvW (or PvP) much.

Thanks!

Posted by: HenryChinaski.4732

HenryChinaski.4732

I noticed, awhile before the loss of Power of the Mists, that I gathered 10 items from Rich Veins with only 3 strikes (i.e. stopped needing that fourth swing). I thought it odd, but nothing worth reporting or posting about. Perhaps, a change happened back then to gathering in general. /shrug

You do this 4th swing with almost every permanent gathering pickaxe (except the one you only get in bundle for 2400 gems and the one you get unbound magic with). You still have this strike. You also have the chance for extra mats with the banner so i think its just the WVW change.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You might; I did not. Not only that, I did not specify using Permanent Gathering Tools.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You do this 4th swing with almost every permanent gathering pickaxe (except the one you only get in bundle for 2400 gems and the one you get unbound magic with). You still have this strike. You also have the chance for extra mats with the banner so i think its just the WVW change.

Banners gives increased chance for rare materials like gemstones when mining. Currently the only thing still giving a chance for extra strike is the Item/Heroic booster

You might; I did not. Not only that, I did not specify using Permanent Gathering Tools.

That was just a change to some of the gathering tools a while back. They made the third strike give you two items at once. Unfortunately it was not retroactively applied to the older permanent tools.