Fix your agro!

Fix your agro!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

SE p1 Tazza will not stop agroing the ele’s….

I ran around the corner and she didnt attack anyone else, I pop my head out, BAM 1/4th my life gone…

Its so silly, she only target me for every attack, none one else took any damage….

Just fix your agro.

SAB or RIOT

Fix your agro!

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Eles get a lot of hate in dungeons it’s true, more so than other classes. Still it’s quite random.

What would this aggro “fix” look like though?

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Did you happen to get within aggro/attack first? A lot of enemy focus in this game seems to come from first aggro/strike. There are other factors, damage done, healing done, conditions applied. Then it seems to also consider amount of survivability; health, armor, healing. A lot of these are things applicable to Elementalists, a good amount of (AoE) healing, Boon application, a good amount of conditions, pretty strong bursts, etc.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

SE p1 Tazza will not stop agroing the ele’s….

I ran around the corner and she didnt attack anyone else, I pop my head out, BAM 1/4th my life gone…

Its so silly, she only target me for every attack, none one else took any damage….

Just fix your agro.

That would solve a butt load of PvE bosses etc. A BUTT LOAD! Aggro and support power are the only taste less things right now in gw2 pve, if theres someone trash talking about gw2 pve content by saying : “oh you only press 1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1” is because theres really no point to do anything else in this game beyond DPSing

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Fix your agro!

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aggro

eles do a ton of dmg. So, you were probably doing the most damage; hence, you were targeted more often than the other classes. Is that a problem?

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Also check your toughness, that combined with high damage is a strong agro pull.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

?

eles do a ton of dmg. So, you were probably doing the most damage; hence, you were targeted more often than the other classes. Is that a problem?

Pretty much that…

1. closest target to them
  2. who is dealing damage
  3. top damage dealers
  4. who is using a shield / has more toughness and overall armor
  5. others (see Tanking tactics below)

Do note that first strike seems to generates large amount of aggro, which can determine who is gonna be taking hits.

Combine from these.
Example: If you have shield, stay near target, deal damage, highest possible toughness and armor, and first strike, you’d have the aggro most definetely.

I’ve noticed that you can loose aggro, by holstering your weapons and running away from the mob, but this requires that there’s other players to generate aggro.

Another way to get all aggro, is to start reviving a player or NPC, this results in 100% aggro rating, every mob will come after you.
If there are more players reviving at same time, all those players will have 100% aggro rating, while distance to mobs will determine who will be targeted first.

Mobs in dungeons and some special mobs tend to have unique aggro system, so that it’s not possible to keep aggro definetely on 1 player in every combat scenario in PvE…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

GW2’s aggro system is an nontransparent mess. I’ve never understood it. First strike clearly affects aggro. But toughness seems to be a far greater source of aggro than damage is, which makes no sense. It also defeats the purpose of having toughness: You have more defense, so you take more damage…. HUH?!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

GW2’s aggro system is an nontransparent mess. I’ve never understood it. First strike clearly affects aggro. But toughness seems to be a far greater source of aggro than damage is, which makes no sense. It also defeats the purpose of having toughness: You have more defense, so you take more damage…. HUH?!

If that’s true, they were probably trying to make it possible to do pseudo-tanking – guy with toughness gear taking the big hits.

Or words to that effect.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I too notice that if you are the character who damaged them first, it takes a lot to pull them off of you as their primary.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

Just updated my ranger with knight gear and have noticed him getting aggro a lot more now. Not really my point in putting knight stuff on, but just have to live and kite with it.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

this happened to me in hotw p1, boss was only attacking me and i was basically tanking the boss for the group.
in the game that does not have tank, the boss must randomly change target every 10 second or so, from player A he should turn to B and from B to C. and then from C back to A, like cycling between players, so every one will use healing skills and doge skill.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Thief is best in a situation like this. I can stealth, run to the other end of the boss room and watch the boss run straight at me when I drop stealth. Seems like we steal game mechanics too O.o

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Thief is best in a situation like this. I can stealth, run to the other end of the boss room and watch the boss run straight at me when I drop stealth. Seems like we steal game mechanics too O.o

This is a downside to how they fixed that enemies would instantly reset when we went into stealth in the earlier days of the game. This caused them to run back to their patrol paths, resetting their health in the process. Let’s just say that was extremely annoying. How it works now is perhaps just as annoying, but I guess it’s fair enough. The enemy knows that you are there, somewhere, it just doesn’t know where yet, so it is waiting for you to reveal yourself. Sort of like a player in PvP.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

People always cry for mor mob AI .. but if mobs really don’t behave that dumb that
they just hit the only person that is nearly invincible its also wrong.

Jepp .. if a mob is any kind of “intelligent” he would indeed kill first the squishys that
do most damage and die fast .. or the healers .. and ignore the “tank”

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

Different mobs have different aggro systems.

Tazza tends to choose one person (usually the lowest health person) and focus fire that person until they’re dead. That usually means an ele, thief, or meta guard is the target. Being downed or stealthed can (but not always) temporarily move the aggro to someone else, but she can switch to back after her Blink.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Fix your agro!

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

If that’s true, they were probably trying to make it possible to do pseudo-tanking – guy with toughness gear taking the big hits.

That’s kind of true, although it depends on the boss. Ettin in uncategorized fractal for example seems glued to my guardian but only if I use defensive/knights gear while the golem in CoE wants to go straight for the ele no matter what you do.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

This is another reason why RAIDS just won’t work in GW2 as it is currently.. classes broke, skills broke, minions broke, aggro system that has little logic and no requirement to organise parties to utilise certain skills/traits .. added to that the particle blur that will cover the raid objectives….

Aggro mechanics need some work imo but so do all the other mechanics in the game that lack polish.. I like the idea of no trinity for example but in a raid whether instanced or openworld .. there needs to be some organised requirements rather than 10, 20, 30 zerks hitting it down.. making aggro irrelevant anyway.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

had the same problem in AC i play ele to but it seems mobs get easy to target me -.-
and as you no a ele is not a tanker

and in my party i had a warrior and a guardian but mobs ignore them -.-
i think dam go after that guardian not me

will be great if anet give a kind of Argo skill only for guardian and warrior
but i no that we gone get more focus on a trinity system

Fix your agro!

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

?

Pretty much that…

1. closest target to them
  2. who is dealing damage
  3. top damage dealers
  4. who is using a shield / has more toughness and overall armor
  5. others (see Tanking tactics below)

Do note that first strike seems to generates large amount of aggro, which can determine who is gonna be taking hits.

Combine from these.
Example: If you have shield, stay near target, deal damage, highest possible toughness and armor, and first strike, you’d have the aggro most definetely.

I’ve noticed that you can loose aggro, by holstering your weapons and running away from the mob, but this requires that there’s other players to generate aggro.

Another way to get all aggro, is to start reviving a player or NPC, this results in 100% aggro rating, every mob will come after you.
If there are more players reviving at same time, all those players will have 100% aggro rating, while distance to mobs will determine who will be targeted first.

Mobs in dungeons and some special mobs tend to have unique aggro system, so that it’s not possible to keep aggro definetely on 1 player in every combat scenario in PvE…

First strike generates a ton of aggro? That’s news to me. My ele tends to be the first to attack and I’ve done the same thing with my warrior. Despite my melee warrior dealing more damage than my ele, it seems my ele is the one that is constantly targeted despite trying to be slightly further away than the other players in melee range (if everyone is stacking on top of tazza, my ele is typically next to her or slightly behind another player).

Also, where did you get those numbers for the aggro rating?

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

Tazza (and a couple other bosses) aggros based on lowest maximum health. If you want to not have aggro here, and have another thief, guard, or ele in the party, you can put 2 or 4 points into water (6/2/2/4/0 is great for this) and watch them die instead.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Just updated my ranger with knight gear and have noticed him getting aggro a lot more now. Not really my point in putting knight stuff on, but just have to live and kite with it.

Back when my ranger was still in rare knights gear, I could pull a champ away from a group of people meleeing it just by showing up and hitting it with my shortbow. The champ would forsake all others and cleave to me, chasing me down to try to kill me. I would be kiting like a crazy person and all the people who were meleeing it were probably cussing me.

Fix your agro!

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Back when my ranger was still in rare knights gear, I could pull a champ away from a group of people meleeing it just by showing up and hitting it with my shortbow. The champ would forsake all others and cleave to me, chasing me down to try to kill me. I would be kiting like a crazy person and all the people who were meleeing it were probably cussing me.

Yip .. same here, the Champ Abbo in Cursed Shore right after Plinx…. rangers must drive the melee crazy when its running half way across map to get a piece of me

Fix your agro!

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

First strike generates a ton of aggro? That’s news to me. My ele tends to be the first to attack and I’ve done the same thing with my warrior. Despite my melee warrior dealing more damage than my ele, it seems my ele is the one that is constantly targeted despite trying to be slightly further away than the other players in melee range (if everyone is stacking on top of tazza, my ele is typically next to her or slightly behind another player).

Also, where did you get those numbers for the aggro rating?

• top damage dealers

Mobs in dungeons and some special mobs tend to have unique aggro system

Warriors have better sustanance, but Elementalists are on the top of DPS tables…

And also your party’s make up matters. If there’s no one properly geared or even aim to affect aggro, then the “top damage dealer” is gonna happen more.

But there might be some hidden rule that ANet has not disclosed, but I dunno.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.