Failing Coiled Watch for farming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I’m sorry, but no, no nerfs were announced. Changing the timer isn’t a “nerf”. I’ve never done the coil event other than for the PS, but I know with Blix, what was happening was that if the event failed it started about 1 min later. I believe the timer is now set to about 10-15 mins for restart after failure. The same type of thing was supposed to be implemented at Coil. The reason is that most farmers don’t want to sit and wait around for the event to respawn. No champs were taken out. No loot was taken out. Nor was it supposed to be. Everything is the same except for the timer for restart after failure. Trust me, I followed the conversation on Blix very closely.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Usually I have no problem with these farms and people who want to waste their time farming away BUT today I saw the toxicity it creates when players need to finish the event. This time several players were asking to finish and this group of players would not have it. They called us names, they called us a problem, they said we could go elsewhere, that it was hurting their way of play, and some other things not worth the community’s time. These players needed to finish something for their living story and it was in their right to do so. I had guildies and several others come help just to finish so those players could move on which some people would call trolling but not in my opinion. It is one thing for it to be a random event but this was something blocking character progress. It needs to be fixed.

The way these players acted was of superiority and not the helping hand. I’ve heard several players tell me about this event failing and the toxicity to keep them from playing how they wish. The argument really came when said it was intended for the event to be finished. And that’s just it, THE EVENT IS MEANT TO BE COMPLETED!!! It is not meant to be purposely failed. I could keep the argument up here but I see many believe using mechanics to fill their wallets is the strongest idea. So hopefully Anet squashes your greed and continues spreading the toxicity remedy.

I hear ya dude. Was doing stuff the other day, and some chap lost his nut when a random adventurer ‘succeeded’ an event. Started going on and on in map chat, screaming at the poor guy/girl. I’m totally cool with wandering players completing events, even if I miss out on a cycle(s) or whatever. I much prefer to just explain what we are doing, and then they are happy to get their quest ding, and then join in on the next go round if they want. Just being an ahole alienates players – and to what end? More than cool to help even. But then again I just enjoy playing the game – so what if I miss out on one loot bag occasionally. It’s supposed to be fun, not a job.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

@ fellyn….They stated such when there was a HUGE discussion on the Blix farm. Sorry, not sure where the thread is in here, but I’m sure you can find it.

Also, Blix was not nerfed, nor was Coil. Both had the event timers adjusted, that is all.

Just because you think it’s a nono does not mean ANet agrees with you.

Is that why they did change the arah event chain then? That happened a solid year ago.

And the changes to timers were in fact to reduce how effective it is to fail events.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The Coil was changed, so that if the final event failed, the restart would take longer (close to what it takes if it succeeds). Farmers then figured out how to fail it during the second event and the reset timer for that wasn’t changed.

Again, the issue is that, in a very few cases, failure is more rewarding than success. The solution, as with other events, is to rebalance the rate of rewards. 99% of the time, that means reducing the scaling or the timers, so that failure is less profitable. The reason ANet tends not to increase the reward rate for success is to avoid adding too many wealth faucets.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

ozmaniandevil.6805

But ANet never changes what really needs to be changed. They re-tool the timers rather than reward higher for completion. The REAL problems never get fixed. And the fix does not need to be nerfs to champs or nerfs to loot. Simply make success reward as good or better than failure. I still can’t even believe that the PS is tied to such an event! Silly in the extreme.

ozmaniandevil.6805

@ fellyn….They stated such when there was a HUGE discussion on the Blix farm. Sorry, not sure where the thread is in here, but I’m sure you can find it.

Also, Blix was not nerfed, nor was Coil. Both had the event timers adjusted, that is all.

Is that why they did change the arah event chain then? That happened a solid year ago.

And the changes to timers were in fact to reduce how effective it is to fail events.

I’m not sure why you feel the need to argue. ANet stated failing events is not “against the rules”. Maybe how players use the event isn’t as intended, so they try to compensate. Does not mean NERF. Stop arguing on semantics for no reason. I have no idea what happened with Arah a YEAR ago. I’m talking about the current events that this thread is about.

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

If people want to farm events I say let them farm! However, I want to be able to do my living story as well. So I contacted anet and suggested that they would make it possible to continue with LS by simply destroying the ice totem in Coiled Watch, regardless if the event succeeded or not.

Their answer:
“We’re sorry to hear that you’re not able to progress through the living story. Unfortunately we will not be able to complete it for you, but you can try guesting on a low population server to try to complete the task.”

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Posted by: LunarRXA.5062

LunarRXA.5062

Just because it’s “not against the rules” doesn’t mean that failing Coil Watch is a nice or considerate thing to do when someone politely informs or asks you that they would like to complete a segment of the personal story.

The reason aspects of the game like this get ‘fixed’ is because farm events like this have a very detrimental impact on the community. People are generally pretty benevolent on weekends where they aren’t mobbed, out ruled and harassed by malicious players. Unfortunately this tends to be far from the case on weekdays.

“Hey, maybe I’ll continue the personal story tonight”
“You noob, wtf are you doing, STOP STAHHHP STOP; omg these noobs…”

It’s not as if there aren’t other options The Frostgorge Champion Train still runs at a fairly consistent rate in the triangle of Troll —> Wurm —> Drake / Repeat / + 15 minute 3x Champion Trio Intervals + Quaggan.

People like to pretend and adapt to whatever logic serves them best.

Posted by: Resubian.5823

Resubian.5823

Just now, I was running around on my engineer hoping to catch up on the living story episodes since I thought the event failure farming was gone, but it seems that it’s still going on. In fact, people got together, purposely scaled up the Coiled Watch event, and failed it for the champions that spawn. Normally, I really don’t care for farmers, but when they purposely fail events that block progression for other players, then we have a problem.

Have you tried asking nicely for them to succeed once for you? Most of the time when people ask nicely, they will agree.

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

Have you tried asking nicely for them to succeed once for you? Most of the time when people ask nicely, they will agree.

I tried asking nicely for 2 hours earlier today, and the answer was always “No, change maps.” And every time I tried to do that I got back into the same map. I wish there was a way to choose map shards, that would solve the problem for me :p

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Resubian.5823

I tried asking nicely for 2 hours earlier today, and the answer was always “No, change maps.” And every time I tried to do that I got back into the same map. I wish there was a way to choose map shards, that would solve the problem for me :p

I haven’t farmed this event in a while so I don’t know its current state, but I have never seen people refuse to succeed once. But then again I am in a very friendly guild and I have Darkhaven as my home server, so maybe I’m getting put into the good map shards and you’re getting into the bad ones.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

In my earlier post in this thread I linked to and pointed out where Anet stated it. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Failing-Coiled-Watch-for-farming/first#post4434496

There are really two sides to this, and when it comes down to it, you are both right – and you are both wrong. Both sides have the right to complete the task that they set out to do (completing or not completing).

Challenging another player’s play style is the issue here, and since this revolved around an event that was designed to be completed, it is being changed so that the original design of the event can be carried out.

When something in the game (such as this event) changes negatively as this has, we need to step in and remediate the toxicity. The byproduct of this change happens to be that a champion farm is being slowed, but since that was the originating factor for the toxicity, it’s unavoidable.

I encourage players to remember that not everyone has the same goals when they play, and sometimes they will clash.

Personally I would consider failing events for the purpose of farming loot from enemies is in fact an exploit. Players are doing something in the game against the intended design for the purpose of personal gain, and Anet is OK with that. If that’s the case then Anet needs to reinstate every single account from the past 2+ years that were permanently banned for doing something in the game not intended for the purpose of self gain. It is not fair they allow people to exploit some of the game but ban others for basically doing the same thing. (no I’ve never once had my account banned for exploiting the game in any way)

Or they need to go through the game and make changes so players are playing the game the way it is intended.

This whole thing is ridiculous. If the environment for the Blix farm didn’t become toxic with players “trolling” or insulting each other, Anet wouldn’t have done a thing about it. And they haven’t anything about the Coiled Watch farm, but they probably will soon because players just can’t learn to get along. And if they do something about this farm, the players will move on to another location and Anet will nerf that farm if it gets out of hand. And it will keep happening until people can learn to stop treating each other like kitten.

Personally I don’t care if players want to farm all day in 1 spot. But when it interrupts me and/or others who are trying to accomplish something and then get screamed at and viciously harassed when we are playing the game the way it was designed to be played, something needs to be done about it. Those who follow the rules and do things right should have precedence over those who are doing something not intended, whether or not it’s allowed.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: weston.3457

weston.3457

Past few days i’ve been playing destiny and the atmosphere is a lot less toxic, but that is because they do something a little different than anet:

If i want to run dungeons all day: well, i can and rewards are not blocked behind some bullkitten daily lock.
Any mobs you kill and as you play the game for longer hours, there is no such thing as diminishing returns.
etc.

What happened to GW2 was a bunch of casuals that came to the forums complaining that farmers were “getting more than them”.

You can thank the countless players before you that complained about people running CoF like crazy, for actually completing event chains because you know “he has more time in game than me and gets more rewards, plz nerf”

Anet’s and other players reduced those people to finding and exploiting stuff like that.

far better than i could ever put it… thank you

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Just now, I was running around on my engineer hoping to catch up on the living story episodes since I thought the event failure farming was gone, but it seems that it’s still going on. In fact, people got together, purposely scaled up the Coiled Watch event, and failed it for the champions that spawn. Normally, I really don’t care for farmers, but when they purposely fail events that block progression for other players, then we have a problem.

I’m guessing you didn’t see my screenshot response to another poster. Anyway, they didn’t bother with helping anyone other than themselves. If you’d like to help, I will gladly extend the offer I made in a previous response to you too. I’m absolutely serious about it.

Resubian.5823

I’m guessing you didn’t see my screenshot response to another poster. Anyway, they didn’t bother with helping anyone other than themselves. If you’d like to help, I will gladly extend the offer I made in a previous response to you too. I’m absolutely serious about it.

Next time I go to Frostgorge, I’ll let you know. Might be today or tomorrow, since I’m running around unlocking waypoints on my mesmer. Maybe I’m getting put in the good megaservers and you’re in the bad ones for some reason.