Fall dmg Trait useless after Gliding update

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Yeah title said actually pretty much everything. I would put these Traits on baseline, maybe as a levelup reward after you hit lvl 40 or something like that. Instead of these traits we could have some more game changing things.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Except for those that don’t have HoT or in areas where gliding is prohibited.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I’m all for removing them and giving players meaningful trade-offs at the adept tier trait level (since that’s where most fall damage traits are located)

Posted by: Nerzul.6875

Nerzul.6875

Yeah title said actually pretty much everything. I would put these Traits on baseline, maybe as a levelup reward after you hit lvl 40 or something like that. Instead of these traits we could have some more game changing things.

Sorry, I still need it for my Jumping Puzzles, unless they allow me to glide there.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Actually with gliding the trate may be more useful. You could fly over a group of enemies and drop just enough to trigger the effect.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Yes, it is majorly obsolete. Now what?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’m all for removing them and giving players meaningful trade-offs at the adept tier trait level (since that’s where most fall damage traits are located)

Yes, please.
This and the revive traits need to either go away completely or get a decent redesign.

Many alts; handle it!
“Iā€™m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

So what about thieves? Considering it’s a GRAND MASTER trait?

DGraves.3720

“Attacking an enemy (veteran or below) from behind has a 2% chance to instantly kill them.”

There.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I was under the impression there was no gliding in WvW, which is where my Falling Damage Trait gets the most use.

Of course, I could be mistaken.

Posted by: Moa Lith.8140

Moa Lith.8140

Gliding is disabled in WvW, there was “No-Fly-Zone” at jumping puzzles, and gliding is not available for those who do not have HoT so I guess it has to stay.

From my personal experience, while going for the Not So Secret diving goggles, I selected the fall-damage reduction trait since it is a “No-Fly-Zone”. It saved me a few times from death when I missed the jumps as I ended up with like 100hp remaining instead of dieing (I was a mesmer so I was able to port back to where I was instead of waypointing and running back to where I was before jumping).

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Its obsolete because gliding works in SPVP and WvW. Its obsolete because the fields and effects don’t work anymore. newbs

The warrior fall trait is one of the most fun in the game. I defended a tower by myself against 8 guys by knocking the enemy off their rams over and over. Jump down run back inside and on top of the gate to jump again. My guildy was laughing his kitten off. Their is plenty of uses. You could say that in PVE everything is obsolete except for spamming 11111. Its not true but you can say it.

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

I still make use of my falling traits, especially on my Revenant because I also get a bubble that reflects projectiles so I’ll often glide into the middle of those awful archer frogs and release my glider just high enough to take a small amount of damage. And then I watch the frogies literally shoot their faces off

It’s also useful if you are messing around with Halo jumps and jumping puzzles, and in WvW where you can’t use gliders. So while they are less useful than they were before, I wouldn’t say these traits are useless.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Uncouple it from the GM, buff the GM by merging it with Shadow’s Rejuvenation. Create new GM trait ?

I mean there’s options a plenty.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Its obsolete because gliding works in SPVP and WvW.

No it doesn’t except for heart of the mists.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

I kinda wish they would remove the fall trait and replace it with either a mechanic like dodge, or a set of potions.

I always felt that the fall trait really didnt belong here. If you are stupid enough to fall 20,000 feet you deserve to die.

Making it a trait that you need to sacrifice for…is just stupid.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I like the functionality of the fall traits, but i think in stead of “when you take fall damage” they could update those effects to “when you fall x distance”

Stay with me here.

The reasoning for the change would be to reduce the amount of time you need to fall to trigger the effect, making the traits more useful as positional/tactical effects in more places, allowing you to trigger the effect in a lot more situations.

I like the idea of these traits, but the rather extreme distance oyou need to fall to get the effect makes them useless in a lot of theplaced I’d expect to use them to “get the jump” on enemies.

Guild Master ā€“ The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Its obsolete because gliding works in SPVP and WvW.

No it doesn’t except for heart of the mists.

sorry I forgot the /s

I figured if someone read the entire post they would get that

Posted by: Mal.1670

Mal.1670

You’ll come to appreciate the trait in WvW.

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Gliding is disabled in WvW, there was “No-Fly-Zone” at jumping puzzles, and gliding is not available for those who do not have HoT so I guess it has to stay.

From my personal experience, while going for the Not So Secret diving goggles, I selected the fall-damage reduction trait since it is a “No-Fly-Zone”. It saved me a few times from death when I missed the jumps as I ended up with like 100hp remaining instead of dieing (I was a mesmer so I was able to port back to where I was instead of waypointing and running back to where I was before jumping).

I know that a lot of people are using them in WvW and on puzzles, and i am aware that there are people playing this game for free without the expansion. I thought not about removing the mechanic, just to implement it as a level reward instead of a trait. First it is such a basic thing and useful for QoL but just not in combat (pve and pvp). It would be a benefit to everyone if they romove them as traits and implement them as levelup reward (still including trait synergy were applicable) . So you can have a trait with more combat specific roles and this fall dmg reduction with its profession specific flavor.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

I don’t really see anyone competent use them in WvW either. There’s usually some better trait that you can pick if you just stop running off cliffs.

DGraves.3720

I like the functionality of the fall traits, but i think in stead of “when you take fall damage” they could update those effects to “when you fall x distance”

Stay with me here.

The reasoning for the change would be to reduce the amount of time you need to fall to trigger the effect, making the traits more useful as positional/tactical effects in more places, allowing you to trigger the effect in a lot more situations.

I like the idea of these traits, but the rather extreme distance oyou need to fall to get the effect makes them useless in a lot of theplaced I’d expect to use them to “get the jump” on enemies.

“When you take fall damage” and “You need to fall X distance” are equivalent since the damage you take is based on the distance you fall. You just want a shorter fall distance. But how small can it really be? You can’t just fall off the tiniest ledges and commit oblivion on the world below…

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

The OP isn’t even saying to remove the fall-damage reduction, they want to make it baseline, ie baked into the class rather than something you need to actively choose.

It seems like that would benefit all the detractors in this thread.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

It sounds like you’re asking for power creep.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Stay with me here.

“When you take fall damage” and “You need to fall X distance” are equivalent since the damage you take is based on the distance you fall. You just want a shorter fall distance. But how small can it really be? You can’t just fall off the tiniest ledges and commit oblivion on the world below…

Honestly? the current fall distance to get damage is what, about 1200 units right? The problem is that very little of the world is designed in a manner that allows for this.

The traits as traits are fine, but their problem is that, compared to other options, they’re not often useful buld choices because the world is largely designed around non-jumpable drops of around 800 units.

Basically, I’d like to see the traits adjusted so they fit the world and are more useful options in a general sense in stead of the extremely niche sense they are now. I can find plenty of places to jump down at enemies and can’t get back up/am stuck in the fight, but very few in which I jump down at enemies, take enough fall damage to trigger a fall trait, and little enough to not completely screw myself over with fall damage.

When its an option compared with tow other selections that makes it far less valuable. I like it being a build choice. I just feel like it should be a more useful build choice that allows people to play the terrain more at the expense of other options.

Guild Master ā€“ The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ