Falling Traits Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

Fall damage mitigation is so situational that it makes much more sense as an easily switchable slot skill.

Posted by: GinsuChef.3765

GinsuChef.3765

Insane idea. Quaggan Explorer Potion. As quaggan explorer, you get a hard hat with a light, grappling hook and fall reduction. I can see this a s gem store item. lol

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

The big question is whether the 50% fall damage reduction is used or in any way significant to pvp. If that fall reduction does have an impact on pvp, no easy changes.

If fall damage reduction is insignificant to pvp, one could easily add a 4th specialization line which featured quality of life choices for pve (and wvw) only. Like the current specialization lines, you’d have a choice of three boxes (each of which would need to be unlocked via some in game achievement). Only three boxes would be available for base game players, with an additional three box line being available for each expansion that came out.

Make the three boxes for the base game:
- [50% fall damage reduction+effect] :: Unlocked by being shot out of the cow cannon
- [3 minute +10% speed boost (while out of combat) after using a waypoint. Canceled upon gaining any non-super speed speed boost] :: Unlocked by reaching any “heartless” zone (as in a zone far away from home).
- and finally [5% bonus magic find, 5% bonus experience]:: Unlocked by finishing a racial story arc.
- Plus make the minor rune associated with that first line of choices [20% cost reduction on waypointing to or from city maps] :: Unlocked by completing the living world episode where Tiami improves the waypoint system.

I feel all of those are nice “quality of life” improvements with effects negligible enough to be offered without claiming “power creep” or “economic imbalance”. Let people choose from one of them and be less penalized for visiting social maps in between grind fests.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I was doing the Troll’s Revenge jumping puzzle, and as I was getting to the auto death on fall area, I began to wonder: Rune of Snowfall reduces falling damage by 25%. Every class has a trait that reduces falling damage by 50%.

So do they work together? If so, additively (50% + 25%), fractional ( [fall*.5]*.25] or are they exclusive? If exclusive, does the 50% take precendence?

I suppose I could go test this myself if no one else knows already, but figured I’d ask here before reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

Side note: At that auto death on fall area, three of us fell, and somehow my son, just my son, survived… with like 3 hp or something. we were amazed and shocked! LOL!

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I’ve never taken a closer look at what the formula might be behind the damage reduction, but I’ve got one character running fall damage reduction plus a full set of runes of snowfall, and there are a few drops in WvW I know that she can do while staying at approx. 95% health where characters without any fall damage reduction die and those with just the trait will see their health go down considerably.

So yes, the combination works, and works well (plus the added regeneration you get from a full rune set even makes it viable if you expect a fight at the end of the drop).

Morfedel.4165

Wow, I looked at the wiki page and somehow didn’t see that note. WTH is wrong with me lol

Maybe I need glasses

Anyway thanks for the input. Now Nicholas Kringle, my santa claus character, can go jumping with even more impunity! I’ll post a pic of him here tonight

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I have to suspect that these runes may turn out to be valuable once HoT is released with the significant expansion of vertical space. I imagine that they were intended to stack so that folks who were willing to take the performance hit would be able to survive some really nasty falls we are about to see.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I have to suspect that these runes may turn out to be valuable once HoT is released with the significant expansion of vertical space. I imagine that they were intended to stack so that folks who were willing to take the performance hit would be able to survive some really nasty falls we are about to see.

Unless gliders make them meaningless in HoT areas…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I haven’t had beta access so I have not tried gliding yet, but I was under the impression that there was an endurance limitation, run out of endurance and you end up falling . . . hopefully like a snowflake

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Morfedel.4165

You are right in that there is a limit, but as you level up your gliding that increases. Also in theory you should be able to find safe points to land and refresh.

That being the case, these runes might help if you make a mistake or miscalculate.

Posted by: The Comfy Chair.7265

The Comfy Chair.7265

I haven’t had beta access so I have not tried gliding yet, but I was under the impression that there was an endurance limitation, run out of endurance and you end up falling . . . hopefully like a snowflake

Yarp, but it does start recharging the moment it gets put away, so you can still pull it out just before you hit the ground to avoid a messy death from what I’ve seen (unless you can’t pull it out twice? I’m not sure).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yarp, but it does start recharging the moment it gets put away, so you can still pull it out just before you hit the ground to avoid a messy death from what I’ve seen (unless you can’t pull it out twice? I’m not sure).

I was in one beta and from what I saw, your glider runs out of endurance and you fall. But since it recharges a little during that time you can pop it back open right before you land and glide to a landing. Since it’s not real life there wasn’t any carryover velocity to cause damage when landing, You’re either falling or gliding and if gliding, you’ll land softly.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

They stack, you won’t die from any of the main fall areas of the puzzle.

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

Does anyone use this trait, for any class? To make it more appealing, perhaps they should add in a base 25% movement speed to the trait.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Used to use it all the time. It was almost mandatory for me since I DESPISED that running down a decline to your doom, bug. Pretty much now I may swap to it during JP’s or WvW if I want to kitten about on my Warrior with Death from Above.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

For world stuffs and jumping puzzles, all the time.

Ele / Guardian

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

I only use it for jumping puzzles, but then again I’m not that agile and tend to miss jump often.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I always use it in jumping puzzles and in WvW. Had a big laugh when fighting 3 guys at once cause I jumped down a cliff and they all died from jumping after me.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I use the fall trait all the time on my Mesmer (really handy for extremely high areas where you’d normally die from such a fall). I think the OP makes a good suggestion in adding the 25% movement speed trait to go with it too – it makes sense.

What I find unfair is that some professions get the 25% run signet, while other professions miss out (although with the chronomancer, they get the 25% movement trait, still, it’ll be a while before mesmers get to actually use this). So adding the 25% movement trait to the 50% less damage from falling trait would be awesome.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

it’d be nice to have these baseline, the fall damage reduction at least. like, you fall outside combat, take 50% less damage, just like you run a whole heap faster outside combat. they could maybe fold the other bit into some other trait, maybe the ones which trigger an effect when you fall below 25% life.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Seems like filler outside WvW.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I use it pretty often, but I take a lot of shortcuts over the sides of cliffs. lol

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

I use it 100%. But I’m a filthy casual.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I used it for sharkmaw last night, but that’s about it. It was that or buy a new monitor since my fist was coming rapidly close to going through it…

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

I use quite often by many professions. In PvE and WvW too.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

It is always part of my build on pve and wxw. Just don’t use it for pvp.

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

On my open world build, I always have it slotted.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I use it on my rangers and mesmers all the time.

With ranger it goes nicely with the survival skills are condi clears and since Muddy Terrain is a survival skill it’s fall damage plus condi clear and quite useful for me.

I use my mesmers for jumping puzzles…so I keep it on them.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I used to, but my warrior’s Strength line isn’t in use, currently. I find I miss that silly trait after a long tumble that almost kills me. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I swap it in ocasionally when jumping off a cliff or wall to take a shortcut and for a jumping puzzle (which is rare).

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

On occasion, yes I swap it in. My husband tends to use it more often than I do.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

On my mes it stays all the time because I help people with jumping puzzles mainly on that toon.

On the rest of them, I use those traits only when I need them like jumping puzzles.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I used to have fun on one of my (now deleted) warriors with the DFA trait. Would sit in defense of Hills and wait for some small team to try to hit the cata wall, then DFA/Fear Me them off of the cliff edge.

Good times.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Flop Sweat.3456

Flop Sweat.3456

Being a charr engineer is the best things ever.

Dropping from a roof in Lion’s Arch into a large group of people and exploding…

NEVER GETS OLD!

Graey Mance-Iron Legion Engineer.
There when you need him.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

For me it’s a nigh-mandatory trait for all alts when not in a dungeon. I like it especially on my Thief; I use the stealth it grants as a way of getting away from pursuers (very handy in the SW maze, for instance). But my instinctive judgment on how far I can fall is based on having that trait equipped and has been for years. It was always the first trait I unlocked on a new alt. My only post-NPE/traitchange alt pretty much only had that trait. My still-leveling Ele got handed a Water unlock in the recent change because I had him set to 2 points in Water for the fall damage. I just really like the extra terrain traversing ability it gives.

So yes, someone uses it, for all professions.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I started using it after the recent Trait changes. It comes in very handy in WvW, especially.

It seems many players like the trait. =)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Anet should finally remove all the fall damage traits from the trait system, replace them with way more useful traits and turn the fall damage traits then into a MASTERY that islearnable by everyone, regardless if you own HoT or not.

Fall Damage Reduction
Movement Speed Increase
Special Dodges

These things should become part of an Movement Mastery

Something like this:

Heroic Movements:

Save Landing = 1 Mastery Point > Your Character performs now a more heroic landing move, when falling down, preventing your character to fall flat on the belly, landing always on your feet, able to move without interruption.

Stylish Fall = 1 Mastery Point > Your Character performs now a Class Based Skill when receiving Fall Damage and receives 50% lesser Fall Damage from now on

Fast Feet = 2 Mastery Point > Your Character runs now permanently 25% faster (by adding this, all other movement speed incresers of this game get replaced/removed, likee the effect of the signets gettign changed, making them more useful, as this Mastery would make half of their effects obsolete, so these skills/traits would need to get redesigned)
Masterful Dodges = 5 Mastery Points > Your Character performs from now on Class Based Dodge Roll Moves

Powerful Legs = 7 Mastery Points > Your Character can jump now 50% higher and you perform now automatically after falling a no Endurance costing Dodge Roll, what will further decrease your Fall Damage that you receive by another 15%.

Side Flips and Somersaults = 10 Mastery Points Your Character is now able to perform class based Side Flips and Somersaults, backwards as like forwards.
Performing a Side Flip or Somersault counts as a Dodge Move, the point here is, they have longer animations and bigger distances, than a normal Dodge Roll.
You can manually decide, if you want to perform a Side Flip/Somersault, or a normal Dodge Roll through pressing Shift + Dodge Button, just pressing the Dodge Button and you do a normal Dodge Roll, but together with Shift, it will be the slightly longer distanced/animated Side Flip/Somersault, so you can make in combat the decision, what is better for your situation, either a quick and fast dodge, or rather a slower, but slightly longer working dodge.
—-

If Anet would do this, then we could free up alot of trait space for much more general useful traits that aren’t just only very situational useful at all like Fall Damage Traits, which are unless you are actually falling most of all the tiem just a wasted trait slot and which further decreases build variety (I’m still at the opinion, Anet should change the new Trait system from a 3×3 + 3 static minor traits-system to a 4×5 trait system to increase our build variety to let us have more useful options and mergign the static minior traits either into existign ones or puttign them up into the list of the 5 options per tier of Adept, Master, Grandmaster and new Sage Traits as new 4th tier.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Anet should finally remove all the fall damage traits from the trait system, replace them with way more useful traits and turn the fall damage traits then into a MASTERY that islearnable by everyone, regardless if you own HoT or not.

Fall Damage Reduction
Movement Speed Increase
Special Dodges

These things should become part of an Movement Mastery

Something like this:

Heroic Movements:

Save Landing = 1 Mastery Point > Your Character performs now a more heroic landing move, when falling down, preventing your character to fall flat on the belly, landing always on your feet, able to move without interruption.

Stylish Fall = 1 Mastery Point > Your Character performs now a Class Based Skill when receiving Fall Damage and receives 50% lesser Fall Damage from now on

Fast Feet = 2 Mastery Point > Your Character runs now permanently 25% faster (by adding this, all other movement speed incresers of this game get replaced/removed, likee the effect of the signets gettign changed, making them more useful, as this Mastery would make half of their effects obsolete, so these skills/traits would need to get redesigned)
Masterful Dodges = 5 Mastery Points > Your Character performs from now on Class Based Dodge Roll Moves

Powerful Legs = 7 Mastery Points > Your Character can jump now 50% higher and you perform now automatically after falling a no Endurance costing Dodge Roll, what will further decrease your Fall Damage that you receive by another 15%.

Side Flips and Somersaults = 10 Mastery Points Your Character is now able to perform class based Side Flips and Somersaults, backwards as like forwards.
Performing a Side Flip or Somersault counts as a Dodge Move, the point here is, they have longer animations and bigger distances, than a normal Dodge Roll.
You can manually decide, if you want to perform a Side Flip/Somersault, or a normal Dodge Roll through pressing Shift + Dodge Button, just pressing the Dodge Button and you do a normal Dodge Roll, but together with Shift, it will be the slightly longer distanced/animated Side Flip/Somersault, so you can make in combat the decision, what is better for your situation, either a quick and fast dodge, or rather a slower, but slightly longer working dodge.
—-

If Anet would do this, then we could free up alot of trait space for much more general useful traits that aren’t just only very situational useful at all like Fall Damage Traits, which are unless you are actually falling most of all the tiem just a wasted trait slot and which further decreases build variety (I’m still at the opinion, Anet should change the new Trait system from a 3×3 + 3 static minor traits-system to a 4×5 trait system to increase our build variety to let us have more useful options and mergign the static minior traits either into existign ones or puttign them up into the list of the 5 options per tier of Adept, Master, Grandmaster and new Sage Traits as new 4th tier.

If it weren’t for the WvW/PvP applications of fall and revive traits, I’d say that masteries are an idea place to put them.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

Please remove the unused and boring reduced fall damage traits.

For:

1. A moment before impact prompt a dodge roll to appear. If the player presses “V” and has sufficient stamina for a dodge, the player rolls instead of going splat. If the dodge was successfully completed, reduce damage by 50%.

This encourages skill based play instead of incredibly dull trait use. Players won’t be able to abuse it any more than they can using reduced fall damage traits. This is similar to how free-runners roll after a high fall to evenly distribute the force of the impact throughout their body instead of on their heels. You would think incredibly powerful warriors would know how to land after a fall, #notintyria.

2. Substitute removed fall damage traits for something…useful.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Unused? A lot of people actually use the trait in jumpingpuzzles and in WvW.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: tboneking.2531

tboneking.2531

I’m gonna go ahead and say that I LOVE the fall damage traits. Just couple them with the snowfall runes and you can have rediculous troll builds in wvw/eotm. Not to mention creating immortal portal mesmer for jumping puzzles

Posted by: AmberUK.5380

AmberUK.5380

First trait I put on any of my chars incase I die all the time in WvW. Dunno how people play without it.

More prefer the option to do damage things as I fall as it often drags me into combat I do not want.

We Asura are just the best
UW WvW player – TooT !

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I don’t get the “unused” part. They’re incredibly helpful, and not being able to pick them is a serious downsides when evaluating specs.

In PvE, they make getting around worlds easier and also allow some shortcuts, for example at Crimson Triple Wurm. In WvW, they’re key to some stunts around steep terrain, and also to really crushing jumping-in attacks.

Really good traits. Good use some minor rebalancing ofc (compare Ranger vs Warrior/Necro).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Wow… Guys, did anyone you actually get past that one word? How about reading the kitten thing, then commenting. You seriously missed the whole point.

1) It is very limited in value, regardless of all the WvW people using it.
2) If the ability is rolled into actual gameplay it has no value at all.
3) In every case it is taking up 1/3 of all the available traits for that line and tier. If you want to use that trait, now, it is also taking up 1/3 of all your trait lines since you have to run that line too. We have extremely limited options and would be better off with something that impacts combat than something like fall damage reduction.

Would you seriously have an issue with the removal of fall damage reduction if that was just a straight game mechanic?

My only complaint with this is that it’s very much not lag friendly. It can’t be.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

Wow… Guys, did anyone you actually get past that one word? How about reading the kitten thing, then commenting. You seriously missed the whole point.

3) In every case it is taking up 1/3 of all the available traits for that line and tier. If you want to use that trait, now, it is also taking up 1/3 of all your trait lines since you have to run that line too. We have extremely limited options and would be better off with something that impacts combat than something like fall damage reduction.

Would you seriously have an issue with the removal of fall damage reduction if that was just a straight game mechanic?

My only complaint with this is that it’s very much not lag friendly. It can’t be.

Thank you for reading past the first line. Others struggled with that part.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Posted by: AmberUK.5380

AmberUK.5380

Thank you for reading past the first line. Others struggled with that part.

I used to put just one point on it till they changed the system..
Hate the falling bombs/poo my char does always agros the wrong thing

We Asura are just the best
UW WvW player – TooT !

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

No, not really.
But I would ask you, why would that be a sensible thing to do with this trait type (let’s say I agree, remove them), but not for every other trait in the game?

Why have this… passive… power growth? Why not remove traits flat out, and just balance the base skills, which are actively utilized? Balance them in their own regards.

It comes down to selectable customization. In this case, I can opt to have my character be able to take specific shortcuts I couldn’t otherwise take. But, I give up other trait choices for that.

Personally, I prefer as much of the power to be in the base skills as possible, so in extreme cases I’d say, remove traits and just balance skills and abilities. So in this regard, I agree with you.
But to single out falling damage traits specifically to remove them from character customization? No, not really. Is a very valid choice, as they provide something more interesting than the boring “Do 5% more damage if X”, or “Your A also applies B” traits. These falling damage traits are much better designed in that they have non-passive effects. They open up extra routes through the terrain, but provide virtually no actual combat power. This is an interesting choice to make for a character.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

After testing the specialization system, I can affirm that really needs a secondary effect. It is too situational, only really works when you are in jumping puzzles or need to down from a high place.

Almost all classes have lower build variety in their respective lines because of this trait.

Guardian is maybe the most affected because it competes with a weapon trait (mace) and a downed trait. So it makes all 3 traits worthless a lot of time. Also, with the Chilling Darkness nerf, Necromancer only have 1 trait option on Adept Curses. Ranger and Elementalist are very limited as well in adept in their respective lines.

They must add a secondary effect like they did with Thief. This makes the trait more viable and increase the build variety.

Sorry for my english.