Fantastic orchestral music to "Pokemon"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

That is the level of writing I come to expect from the GW2 universe. I really dont understand GW2’s direction – is it really going for every demographic possible and in the process run a high risk of attracting no one at all?

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

………can I get some context here? Maybe it’s because I just woke up, but I’m not exactly connecting your topic title to your post.

Khal Drogo.9631

………can I get some context here? Maybe it’s because I just woke up, but I’m not exactly connecting your topic to your post.

In the loading page, Anet linked the Youtube video featuring Season 2’s soundtrack performed by a German professional orchestra. Although I am not musically trained, I can appreciate the music nonetheless.

My point quite simply is that good orchestral music is accompanying the script of a children’s cartoon – an extremely shallow childish modern day one at that.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

………can I get some context here? Maybe it’s because I just woke up, but I’m not exactly connecting your topic to your post.

In the loading page, Anet linked the Youtube video featuring Season 2’s soundtrack performed by a German professional orchestra. Although I am not musically trained, I can appreciate the music nonetheless.

My point quite simply is that good orchestral music is accompanying the script of a children’s cartoon – an extremely shallow childish modern day one at that.

I didn’t realize the script and story of S2 was released… do you have a link?

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

So what in the world does this have to do with Pokemon, or a child’s show?

Khal Drogo.9631

Well going by S1 … unless S2 has been radically (ie extremely) revamped, I have a dreaded feeling its going to be more of the same children’s show writing.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not critiquing the writer but the people deciding on the direction of this game. I am not a GW1 veteran, but I picked it up and played it quite a bit in order to get the legacy skins and what a difference in the tone and maturity of the lore and storylines of an older game.

As for the title, well 45 char is too short. Maybe someone with better English can convey what I was trying to say without referencing popular culture and sounding too harsh.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Three things…

1.- We still don’t know whether the S2 script will be childish or not…

2.- Childish can be good sometimes (from a 38 years old that loves watching cartoons and animated movies… and I still consider The Iron Giant as my favorite movie so far)

3.- Who says that childish and orchestral don’t mix?

https://www.youtube.com/user/skotein (orchestral pokemon music)
https://crockerartmuseum.org/57-news-room/press-releases/368-whats-opera-doc-musical-event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJXBZbi2RJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9QP9zc54p0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phMlUGxW2pA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seka_xO0UwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNdu_ew569k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbGEFPJ5-sA

:)

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well going by S1 … unless S2 has been radically (ie extremely) revamped, I have a dreaded feeling its going to be more of the same children’s show writing.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not critiquing the writer but the people deciding on the direction of this game. I am not a GW1 veteran, but I picked it and played it quite a bit in order to get the legacy skins and what a difference in the tone and maturity of the lore and storylines of an *older" games.

So your full of it? Sry you know nothing of what going to happen with season 2 and to prejudge it on this level of negatively is out right wrong.

Also what wrong with children’s show writing some of the best shows and movies where made for kids they far out do any thing made for adults. Just because its more maturity blood every where cursing left and right and sex etc.. dose not make a story good in fact it can get in the way of a story because these are more means of cover ups for a bad story.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Khal Drogo.9631

Don’t get me wrong, I am not critiquing the writer but the people deciding on the direction of this game. I am not a GW1 veteran, but I picked it and played it quite a bit in order to get the legacy skins and what a difference in the tone and maturity of the lore and storylines of an *older" games.

So your full of it? Sry you know nothing of what going to happen with season 2 and to prejudge it on this level of negatively is out right wrong.

Also what wrong with children’s show writing some of the best shows and movies where made for kids they far out do any thing made for adults. Just because its more maturity blood every where cursing left and right and sex etc.. dose not make a story good in fact it can get in the way of a story because these are more means of cover ups for a bad story.

That only applies to Disney classics where adult themes of ethics and morality are incorporated into those cartoons. Apart from those cartoons, very few cartoons have great storylines or drama unless they are already based on a book.

It is very hard not to pre judge Season 2 of the Living Story when no one has indicated that there is anything radically different to the story telling. I do not expect the aforementioned Disney classic standard but at least somewhere approaching GW1 lore. I can completely understand if it is a commercial decision to have the writing to appeal to all ages but I think even kids nowadays can tell what is a terrible story and what is not. Then again we are talking about generation “Pokemon” and younger.

I haven’t even mentioned gameplay yet which is a totally different topic.

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

@JSKI

The OP is making assumptions about season 2’s story/scripts based on the precedent set in season 1, and personal story.

And here you are people are, defending the story and script writing of season 2, based on literally nothing.

I’m not saying the OP’s assumption holds much merit, but it certainly holds more than yours, aka nothing.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Soule one listen to this and miss your GW music already. Why the step back backwards musically Anet. Surely Soule doesn’t cost more than an entire orchestra.
Come to think of it living story in general is a step back from Soule.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

@JSKI

The OP is making assumptions about season 2’s story/scripts based on the precedent set in season 1, and personal story.

And here you are people are, defending the story and script writing of season 2, based on literally nothing.

I’m not saying the OP’s assumption holds much merit, but it certainly holds more than yours, aka nothing.

Except that the person making insinuation is the one required to back it up. Not the defenders.

So OP here is the one that has to have the onus of proof.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

@JSKI

Lol its not defending its point out major flaws in logic and showing how this point of view is going to make you think things are bad even if they are not. That and the foolishness of trying to say “kids” story are bad and “adults” story’s are good that kind of the same level of thinking of poor views on the world.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

Why not just wait and see for yourself tomorrow? As for the music, I think the team has been doing a great job with this game. There are a rare amount of games out there (in my opinion) that have the quality of soundtracks that GW2 has. Oh and about Pokémon, it’s actually common knowledge among players that many around age 18-25 play those games. Heck, I do too, great games tbh. I’m glad that we will be getting new zones in season 2, I’m looking forward to it as my summer conveniently starts tomorrow aswell.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

While I get the OPs point, there is no reason to be insulting to the Developers in this way. It is VERY difficult to write a G Rated story for an MMO that NEEDS to be non-offensive to everyone and tells an engaging story (and make no mistake, GW2 has ALWAYS been all ages friendly and has never claimed or been advertised as anything different). I’m not saying it couldn’t be better done, but claiming it, “attracts no one at all”, is a flat out exaggeration.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

Soule one listen to this and miss your GW music already. Why the step back backwards musically Anet. Surely Soule doesn’t cost more than an entire orchestra.

All of Soule’s new music sounds exactly the same and I’m glad he’s gone. So many medleys in GW2 just recycled from Skyrim. That and the guy’s an awful human being, comparing musical piracy to the Holocaust. What a charmer.

As to the OP’s point: "Bro, I want a wikkid mature story with blud and violence and lawts of dying. GW1 totes didn’t have a bad story! Just look at Togo! What a likable, well voice-acted character, or Shiro, who’s motives of anger and revenge would totally
last hundreds of years because that’s not trite!

Oh man, Kormir accidentally awakens an ancient god? What a klutz, lol XD! And a koooooky undead ruler who we make an allegiance with and keep alive because why not? Makes total sense. Forget the long term, as long as Abaddon dies, I’m sure Palawa Joko won’t do anything bad!

And the Lich. Makes absolute sense for someone to sink an entire continent when they’re invaded and then want to destroy the world. Throw in an ancient scepter? Deal, now we’re dealing with a big baddie who needs an ancient weapon to summon an unstoppable force and, even though his plans ACTUALLY succeed, we stop him anyways cuz we’re just so awesome? Radical!"

I get nostalgia fogging your hindsight up, and God knows I’m not going to sit here revering season 1 of living story as a testament to how video game writing should go, but to sit here and say that GW1’s story was good is awful. Guild Wars has good LORE, but awful stories. The GW1 stories were badly put together set pieces all to stop 3 ancient and/or vengeful unstoppable evils

Don’t lament this music being “wasted” on Season 2 when you know nothing about it. It might suck. And, if it does, then hey, at least we got good music out of it. If it doesn’t, or is a remarkable improvement over Season 1 at the very least, then it just means they did what I’d hope they’d do: take their largely experimental way of delivering content in small, frequent bursts, test it with some randomly shoehorned villain before moving on to a big baddie for us to fight, learn from their mistakes, and now open the floodgates and give us Modremoth. If that’s not what happened? Then at least anything’s better than GW1’s/Living Story 1’s/The last 20% of GW2’s plot lines.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

All of Soule’s new music sounds exactly the same and I’m glad he’s gone. So many medleys in GW2 just recycled from Skyrim. That and the guy’s an awful human being, comparing musical piracy to the Holocaust. What a charmer.

As to the OP’s point: "Bro, I want a wikkid mature story with blud and violence and lawts of dying. GW1 totes didn’t have a bad story! Just look at Togo! What a likable, well voice-acted character, or Shiro, who’s motives of anger and revenge would totally
last hundreds of years because that’s not trite!

Oh man, Kormir accidentally awakens an ancient god? What a klutz, lol XD! And a koooooky undead ruler who we make an allegiance with and keep alive because why not? Makes total sense. Forget the long term, as long as Abaddon dies, I’m sure Palawa Joko won’t do anything bad!

And the Lich. Makes absolute sense for someone to sink an entire continent when they’re invaded and then want to destroy the world. Throw in an ancient scepter? Deal, now we’re dealing with a big baddie who needs an ancient weapon to summon an unstoppable force and, even though his plans ACTUALLY succeed, we stop him anyways cuz we’re just so awesome? Radical!"

You tried your hardest to conjure an illusion that GW1’s story is worse than GW2, but in actual fact, even with the way you wrote it, it is still sounds better. Lol!

Let me try what you did, except with GW2:

Dungeon Story/Destiny’s Edge:
I’ve met 5 People of deliberately clashing cliche personalities! And 1 of each playable race! I don’t actually know them, or really interact with them, but here I am, around them, listening to their poorly scripted conversations about literally nothing except pointless schoolyard drama. What is the point of all this? Kiss and make up?

Personal Story:
I’m a super baddie boy adventurdur, I eliminate hordes of enemies and even Demi god power crazy weirdo’s without any help, cause I got the yolo swagger. Oh looky I’m being introduced to 3 people with deliberately clashing cliche personalities who represent 3 cliche groups of strength, magic and stealth.

I ended up in one of these groups! They didn’t even supply me with a set of armour to fit in with their troops, wtf? Now I’ve risen from the rank of grunt, to lord super commander general person in a few missions. Still no armour to represent my new family. Wait you want me to pay for it? Cheapos.

Oh here is Destiny’s Cliche, oh look, more pointless drama. Yap yap yap, let me continue the bad story which has no real point.

Today I found out we are to fight against a dragon. Whatever I look fabulous, I’ll solo him.

Ok Trahearne, this is my story, wtf are you doing, stop stealing my lime light, I just solo’d hordes of enemies without any help, why are you taking all the credit? Go away.

We’ve successfully convinced the 3 cliche groups to join together, and have their clashing cliche personality leaders not argue pointlessly any more. Zombies zombies. Kill some more zombies. Some random pointless stuff along the way.

Ok so this dragon dude is meant to be ultra powerful, he had the power to raise an entire continent, and command undead. He’s bad to the bone baby. I’ma solo him in a grand fashion, this will be a battle for the ages. Do I look good in my armour? I’m sparkling, I’m sexy.

Trahearne! Go do that magic thing to cleanse Orr, which never actually cleanses Orr, let alone anything.

I swing my sword, did some stuffs, oh hello Zhaitan, LETS FIGHT!

Er, Zhaitan, you didn’t do anything? You just fell over and didn’t do anything awesome. Well that was sad. What were you meant to be doing again Zhaitan? This story was so terrible I forgot if you even had a purpose.

Living Story:
Dragons exist, they are affecting Tyria, but you know, whatever, lets have parties and elections and praise queen Jenna and stuff.

Some sylvari pops up outa no where? Ok. Oh she somehow magically went invulnerable and teleported away in a cutscene again after talking. I tried to swing my sword, but I just stood there, mesmerized by her terrible scripting, and didn’t kill her. kitten it.

Sylvari psycho convinces the hostile inhabitants of Tyria to join up in pairs, slowly but surely. Like a buddy system for children.

THERE SHE IS! ILL KILL HER! Wait, wtf, I’m stuck in a cutscene again? kitten her bad script, it is so bad I am mesmerized and stuck in place, unable to move to kill her. Oh kitten she teleported away again somehow.

By the way? What is the point of all this? She has no point? Oh ok. We’ll just continue to ignore the real threat, have some more parties and stuff.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

(edited by Realist.5812)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hey pokemon’s pretty awesome yo.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Oxstar.7643

Oxstar.7643

Geeesh, could you NOT copy your username straight from an overrated TV show please?

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

-snip-

The cringe is real.