Farming gold still hard in this game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SaskiaElite.8132

SaskiaElite.8132

Last time I played this game, farming in game currency (which is gold,silver and copper) was a pain in the neck, my question is: its still same? I’d also like to know if there’s any new solo/story content? there was literally nothing to do as end game content, except endless pvp

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

One is rewarded with 2 Gold each day just for finishing one’s Daily Achievements. One can earn much loot/gold in places like The Silverwastes or Auric Basin (the latter being one of the new maps included in the expansion, Heart of Thorns).

No idea when you last played, but Season Two of the Living Story was released some time ago, the Heart of Thorns Personal Story was included in the expansion, and Season Three of the Living Story will be released within the next 2 weeks (purchase of expansion required to play, log-in when Episodes are active required to unlock [and play any time after expansion is purchased in the future]).

Good luck.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Last time I played this game, farming in game currency (which is gold,silver and copper) was a pain in the neck, my question is: its still same? I’d also like to know if there’s any new solo/story content? there was literally nothing to do as end game content, except endless pvp

When was it hard to “farm” gold? I farm most of my gold from PvP. I’ve made 50 gold this week from playing mostly PvP, and doing the Bandit daily.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Fractals are also extremely lucrative now too. They have also put gold rewards back into dungeons. No, its not as bad as it used to be. In fact, its much, much better.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: SaskiaElite.8132

SaskiaElite.8132

When was it hard to “farm” gold? I farm most of my gold from PvP. I’ve made 50 gold this week from playing mostly PvP, and doing the Bandit daily.

perhaps I’m not good at pvp? not everyone can smash buttons to get a kill in pvp.

Thanks for all replies people

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Farming was never hard in GW2. The thing that might have been hard is finding something to do you enjoy without having to justify your ingame experience via a numeric gold value.

Instead of asking if farming is hard you should be asking what people enjoy and try stuff out for yourself. Farming gold has always been a means to an ende in GW2, never THE defining endgoal though (unless you enjoy becoming a pixel millionaire which ofcorse is fine too).

That being said, here are some goals people enjoy working for:

- legendaries
- fashion wars
- wvw
- spvp
- dungeon/fractal speedclears (this sorta died down a bit)
- achievement hunters

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

current gold farming meta is to get Gift of Exploration and sell 2 legendary weapon for 4k gold profit a week. thats 8k gold a month assuming u can get 100% map completion in 1 week.

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

lol i made 50g last night in 30 mins in a gerent + octovine multiloot

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

Fractals are also extremely lucrative now too. They have also put gold rewards back into dungeons. No, its not as bad as it used to be. In fact, its much, much better.

Not that much in dungeons. I did a dungeon alone the other day and it wasn’t that rewarding. I could have opened a handful of airship cargo and got the same thing. I’m not sure how it is for parties but a single player it’s not that much.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Gold is easier to acquire than ever now. There are of course easier methods than others, but I am notoriously inefficient at farming/selling and I can still conjure up 10-20g a day from doing a range of different activities, including wvw, dailies, fractals, farmings for mats and HoT metas.

Someone more dedicated I am quite certain can amount considerably more a day.

As for new story, HoT was the last story content and LS2 before that. Not sure when you last played. LS3 launches on the 26th

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I laid out of the game for awhile partly because farming gold was harder in GW2 than GW1. I was generally frustrated at the game early on because it was missing so much I liked about GW1. I got back into it a little over a year ago.

Gold is fairly easy to get these days. I got over a 100 gold over the last week. You have to be smart about how to farm. Mid-level wood and metals are in demand because crafting ascended weapons sucks them down. I depleted my supply of some stuff crafting an ascended weapon. Farming Karka is very profitable too. I can usually get a lot of loot off the HoT maps too but I have been mostly salvaging the rare items for ecto.

There are plenty of farming guides out there.

(edited by Tekoneiric.6817)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I would say it’s easier than ever to farm gold and I’ve played since beta.

Posted by: Freakshow.1809

Freakshow.1809

I can relate to you. I found it difficult too at first when I returned after a while. Here are a few tricks that helped me rack in some gold

1. get a TP calculater app on the app store. they’re like any other calculator except that they automaticly factor in the sells tax for you. it makes flipping items easier.

2. if your not into flipping, I would recommend mob farming and Node hunting. The best mobs to farm are Dredge, Human separatists, Grawl, pirates. Pretty much anything that drops Bags of crafting materials. The bag themselves sell for about 2-3 silver each and its pretty easy to stack a few hundred in them in an hour depending on your magic find. as far as nodes Platinum sells for about 1 silver each and can be found all over Blood Tide coast and other areas of similer level

3. speaking of magic find, Increasing this pays off in the long run. once you get a decent amount of gold, start buying Globs of Ectoplasm from the TP. then salvage them. they give LOADS of essence of luck that increase your magic find level, they also give lots of crystalline dust that sells for about 80% of what you spent on the Ectos.

4. Karma to gold. this is one of my favorite methods. finding an NPC that sells valuable items for karma that you can then sell on the TP. Google Crab Grabbin’ Gloves method, it involves an extra step of placing items in the mystic forge but it yields some high results. Personally, I prefer finding karma merchants with high value cooking ingredients but to each there own.

5. Salvage everything (well almost), and use the Store all Materials option in your inventory. before you know it you will have hundreds stacked rare materials that can sell for a good lump sum of gold. THE ONLY EXCEPTION is rare yellow items. ALWAYS check the priced on yellows before you salvage them. Some can value for 33-75 silver. My general rule is usually anything below 16 silver is usually better to salvage than to sell.

6. Do dungeons, Fractals, Map metas or boss events while waiting for stuff to sell. some require more effort than others but they are still viable money making methods, especially once Daily’s reset.

I hope this helps. I too found it kinda hard to make money in this game and there really aren’t many ways since professions are not really for making money like other games. but these methods here I found very helpful and I eventually saved enough to get my awesome Shield skin for my Rev seen below (though the clipping can be bothersome)

Attachments:

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Farming was never hard in GW2. The thing that might have been hard is finding something to do you enjoy without having to justify your ingame experience via a numeric gold value.

Instead of asking if farming is hard you should be asking what people enjoy and try stuff out for yourself. Farming gold has always been a means to an ende in GW2, never THE defining endgoal though (unless you enjoy becoming a pixel millionaire which ofcorse is fine too).

- legendaries
- fashion wars
- wvw
- spvp
- achievement hunters

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Gold was extremely difficult to acquire when GW2 was first released. 12 hours of straight-up farming netted me about 70 gold if I was lucky. Plus I had 73% magic find. That’s not much money for the amount of time spent on farming. On top of that, in the early stages of the game, gold was never a reward for anything you did. So if you didn’t farm, you were pretty much poor. Dungeon rewards were also time-gated, so that didn’t give you much gold either. If you didn’t farm, your income was approximately 3 gold per day, assuming you stayed logged-in for longer than half an hour.

So, compared to the early-game gold income, it’s extremely easy to acquire gold nowadays.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

(edited by Galtrix.7369)

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

as far as nodes Platinum sells for about 1 silver each and

Plat is like 3-4 silver per ore. Thats about 12 silver per node. Gold ore is 1 silver.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Farming gold in this game will never come remotely close to playing the trading post.

The trading post is your only way to circumvent the huge time sinks of gold grinding in this game, unless you’d rather buy gold with real life money.

Making 7-10 gold a day from T4 fractals, 2 from daily is virtually nothing. 15-20g per day for a couple of hours.

Current legendaries cost about 3.3k gold to craft. At the best rate of 20g per day from doing your T4 dailes and the daily (so about 1.5-2 hours of activity), it will take you 165 days to save up for a legendary.

Or about 5.5 months.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is “you get what you work for.” tends to be the general nature of things; unless you specifically dedicate effort to do a very specific set of things you will not make a lot of coin. Things have progressively lost value (and will continue to do so) simply because utility is short-lived and often hyped up. The market is your only hope to produce real returns that keep up with player ambitions unless your ambitions end at buying the cheapest exotic armor possible and making due with the table scraps no one wants.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

- legendaries
- fashion wars
- wvw
- spvp
- achievement hunters

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Gold was extremely difficult to acquire when GW2 was first released. 12 hours of straight-up farming netted me about 70 gold if I was lucky. Plus I had 73% magic find. That’s not much money for the amount of time spent on farming. On top of that, in the early stages of the game, gold was never a reward for anything you did. So if you didn’t farm, you were pretty much poor. Dungeon rewards were also time-gated, so that didn’t give you much gold either. If you didn’t farm, your income was approximately 3 gold per day, assuming you stayed logged-in for longer than half an hour.

So, compared to the early-game gold income, it’s extremely easy to acquire gold nowadays.

Yes, and prices at release were a fraction of what they are now.

So what good are those 100 gold you can farm in 3 hours today when T6 materials are at 50-80 silver a piece?

Those 70 gold in 12 hours at release could have bought just about any precursor on the TP since those started at 50g and went to about 150-200g the first few months. Go farm a Dusk or Dawn in 12 hours now.

That being said, my point still stands. Relative to the amount of gold one needs, it has never been hard to aquire gold in GW2. Then again, my entire point was a different one to begin with…