Farming in cursed shore/frost gorge atm.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

So I went and don my MF suit and go for a run in CS after a very long time. I killed about maybe 100 mobs there, went to frostgorge, killed another 100 mobs, and the results were absolutely dismal, and I felt like DR kicked in within 15 minutes. Amazing.15 drops for 1 hour? Come on…. It’s like saying farm more gold and purchase the mats you want instead. Any other players experiencing bad drop rates?

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I would suggest doing more WvW, as there seems to be no DR with loot bags there. I always have horrible luck with loot when I got out into PVE and “farm”. Almost always feel like my time is better spent in a fractal or waiting around for the megabosses to spawn.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Yep, severely, just about given up on making my Bifrost, not only because of bad drops but i cannot find anyone wanting to do Arah runs to get the necessary tokens. I mean i spent a whole evening playing in CS last night, trying to find a group and not 1 lfg for Arah in all that time, nor did i get any response to mine.
I’ve spent most of my playtime in Frostgorge over the past few months but only began seriously farming for t6 mats in the last month or 2. i get an odd pce here and there, some more than others, but 3 i get virtually none of is elaborate totems, armored scales and crystalline dust.
I hate grawls due to their insane respawn rate….which is probably good for farming but i’m sick of the mobbing. I mean i kill one, his body is still falling down and another pops up right under him. But this is true also for bears there as well, but not as bad as grawls. So i kill maybe 50-60 grawls and i’ll be lucky to get 1 or 2 totems, sometimes none. its very frustrating to say the least and very time consuming for no results.

I wonder what happened to fun in gw2 that i used to feel in gw1 where i never felt unrewarded for my efforts?

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

So I went and don my MF suit and go for a run in CS after a very long time. I killed about maybe 100 mobs there, went to frostgorge, killed another 100 mobs, and the results were absolutely dismal, and I felt like DR kicked in within 15 minutes. Amazing.15 drops for 1 hour? Come on…. It’s like saying farm more gold and purchase the mats you want instead. Any other players experiencing bad drop rates?

You didn’t experienced any DR, just relatively bad luck.

rng is rng.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

LoneWolfie.1852

rng is rng.

Not sure if kidding, but this makes me feel like going to COF p1 more than anything. RNG on mats too?? I think I saw posts on why people are heading to COF p1 in the dungeon section, this is your reason. It’s the most “rewarding” with the least amount of QQ effort to get something you want.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yep, severely, just about given up on making my Bifrost, not only because of bad drops but i cannot find anyone wanting to do Arah runs to get the necessary tokens. I mean i spent a whole evening playing in CS last night, trying to find a group and not 1 lfg for Arah in all that time, nor did i get any response to mine.
I’ve spent most of my playtime in Frostgorge over the past few months but only began seriously farming for t6 mats in the last month or 2. i get an odd pce here and there, some more than others, but 3 i get virtually none of is elaborate totems, armored scales and crystalline dust.
I hate grawls due to their insane respawn rate….which is probably good for farming but i’m sick of the mobbing. I mean i kill one, his body is still falling down and another pops up right under him. But this is true also for bears there as well, but not as bad as grawls. So i kill maybe 50-60 grawls and i’ll be lucky to get 1 or 2 totems, sometimes none. its very frustrating to say the least and very time consuming for no results.

I wonder what happened to fun in gw2 that i used to feel in gw1 where i never felt unrewarded for my efforts?

Farm money, buy mats. Don’t try to farm specific mats, it’ll take you forever. That gives you more ways and places to farm, even events, which give you yellows, which can break down to ectos, which can be sold for mats.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Run world events 24/7 like everyone else, at least until they get nerfed too, its a lot better than farming nothing for hours honestly..

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

http://www.gw2lfg.com/ is your friend. You’ll get a group for almost anything pretty quick there. I’ve never had to wait more than 5 min for anything I want to do. And I’m working on Bifrost too, though I did the Arah runs shortly after release.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I am still trying to figure out why people are rushing to get their legendary weapons? Whats the point in rushing to get it and farm farm farm when you could be doing something fun?

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

LoneWolfie.1852

I am still trying to figure out why people are rushing to get their legendary weapons? Whats the point in rushing to get it and farm farm farm when you could be doing something fun?

Oh no. I wanted to do something other than a dungeon run. Like farming for my own mats every day and not relying on TP. Guess that’s not possible.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Inflation. It take like 300 hours to farm a legendary now. If you tried it a few month ago, it’ll take half the time.

farming nerf. You see what they did to CS, Cof probably getting hit next.

That being said, scavenge hunt might make it easier to get legendary if it is ever implemented.

You can’t perdict the future.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: OliverT.9021

OliverT.9021

rng is rng.

Not sure if kidding, but this makes me feel like going to COF p1 more than anything. RNG on mats too?? I think I saw posts on why people are heading to COF p1 in the dungeon section, this is your reason. It’s the most “rewarding” with the least amount of QQ effort to get something you want.

Sadly, I agree with you also. I’m facing the same problem trying to raise a stack of T6 materials. The only feasible and less painful way of doing that is to farm for gold off CoF p1, and use it to purchase the mats.

Which begets the question – T6 mats will run out of supply on the TP sooner or later if this continues to be the case like how the lodestones were awhile ago, until they buffed the drop rates, the orrian boxes etc.

Imagine one Bifrost needs 750 piles of T6 dust. How many Bifrost can we make, based on the current supply of dust on the TP at the moment? Less than 10 staffs.

I suppose if we really don’t start grinding for legendaries now, regardless how insane the total cost and time required is… it might come to a point when it becomes almost impossible.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Im pretty sure it wasnt RNG… DR has definatly hit me in Cursed Shore. Coulda been after 25 mins though, and maybe for 10 minutes he had bad RNG drops but its completly plausible that he did hit DR. Yes I have been DR’d from Cursed Shore multiple times. I can tell because usually at least if not more than 50 percent of the mobs I tag, will drop loot. Later on, it starts being like 20 percent of the mobs drop loot. Later on it becomes 20 percent drop Porous Bones instead of real items.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Inflation. It take like 300 hours to farm a legendary now. If you tried it a few month ago, it’ll take half the time.

That being said, scavenge hunt might make it easier to get legendary if it is ever implemented.

Could also make things worse. Once everyone thinks a legendary is within reach, stuff like lodestones could become even more expensive simply due to demand.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I have been frequently switching farming between Orr, Karkas and Frostgorge. Ive had the last two weeks away on holidays and that has been pretty much all I do and maybe put in 4 hours a day towards WvW.

I found Cursed Shore to be probably the best of the 3 areas by a small margin. I can farm around 80 Heavy Moldy bags an hour. Putting everything else aside, these are selling for 3 silver right now. So if I were to sell these bags, these alone would net me 2.4 gold. Along with the occasionally rare weapon/armor (maybe 1 per hour), a small amount of Tier 6 materials and rewards from missions I pick up on the side (Shelt/Pent etc), Id be getting a little over 4 gold an hour.

Karkas is pretty good too. I get around 40 shells an hour alone with a full MF build. These are selling for 5.5 silver so right there I already have 2.2 gold and that combined with what seems like additional gold drops and more frequent Tier 6 material drops as well as more common blues and greens it adds up.

One thing I noticed with Cursed shore is that there are certain paths that are substantially more profitable to farm. Despite being an “all level 80 zone”, the drops don’t seem consistent. Ive gotten to the point where I have a specific path I take constantly over and over again as I find I yield the best rewards along this path.

One thing that does have me perplexed though, is the low price on vials of powerful blood. Ive tried all the known farming spots, Trolls, all bags, Southsun skelk and Southsun Karkas and I just find the price on these is quite low. I am actually targetting these right now because of a few things I want and it seems as though I can’t get more than about 2 an hour, 4 if Im really lucky. Meanwhile I can easily farm 80-100 potent an hour which seems like a better option to farm and sell these but I kind of wanted to work towards farming the right materials

(edited by sostronk.8167)

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Go to the site: “Gw2lfg.com” and you will have a party in no time!

laokoko.7403

Could also make things worse. Once everyone thinks a legendary is within reach, stuff like lodestones could become even more expensive simply due to demand.

ya I stock up on core and lodestone incase scavenge hunt ever get implemented.

but again I sold all my onyx core and lodestone because if they nerf cof, SE might be the next best farming dungeon. I still kept my corrupted core since I doubt coe will be the next farming dungeon.

hard to perdict the future. Those orr jewel box crashed the core and lodestone price. You never know what Anet will do.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Not here, same/better drops lately since I got 3 exotics yesterday while farming. Which is unusual for me but w.e I don’t expect it so its always nice bonus to the normal 4-6g/hr.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

You get DR when you farm the events for maybe 2hrs or so :p

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

I totally feel you on that, drops need to be increased imo. Nothing really feels rewarding like it did in GW1.

I don’t notice much of a difference at all when I put my MF set on. Without it I get about the same rate of rares, however in D2 MF really had an impact.. I wonder what formula ANet uses because it doesn’t seem to just “increase drop quality” at all.

I think that drop rates for good loot are so low it doesn’t really matter what you’re running because as others have said, drops are simply abysmal as it is. You’re barely helping yourself by running MF.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

LoneWolfie.1852

I have been frequently switching farming between Orr, Karkas and Frostgorge. Ive had the last two weeks away on holidays and that has been pretty much all I do and maybe put in 4 hours a day towards WvW.

I found Cursed Shore to be probably the best of the 3 areas by a small margin. I can farm around 80 Heavy Moldy bags an hour. Putting everything else aside, these are selling for 3 silver right now. So if I were to sell these bags, these alone would net me 2.4 gold. Along with the occasionally rare weapon/armor (maybe 1 per hour), a small amount of Tier 6 materials and rewards from missions I pick up on the side (Shelt/Pent etc), Id be getting a little over 4 gold an hour.

Karkas is pretty good too. I get around 40 shells an hour alone with a full MF build. These are selling for 5.5 silver so right there I already have 2.2 gold and that combined with what seems like additional gold drops and more frequent Tier 6 material drops as well as more common blues and greens it adds up.

One thing I noticed with Cursed shore is that there are certain paths that are substantially more profitable to farm. Despite being an “all level 80 zone”, the drops don’t seem consistent. Ive gotten to the point where I have a specific path I take constantly over and over again as I find I yield the best rewards along this path.

One thing that does have me perplexed though, is the low price on vials of powerful blood. Ive tried all the known farming spots, Trolls, all bags, Southsun skelk and Southsun Karkas and I just find the price on these is quite low. I am actually targetting these right now because of a few things I want and it seems as though I can’t get more than about 2 an hour, 4 if Im really lucky. Meanwhile I can easily farm 80-100 potent an hour which seems like a better option to farm and sell these but I kind of wanted to work towards farming the right materials

80 ?? Wow… what’s your MF… I had 4 moldy bags from the normal 80 mobs. Did you get them from the events instead?

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Hmm? It’s still pretty easy for me. People are expecting too much. Take it easy, enjoy the ride.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I totally feel you on that, drops need to be increased imo. Nothing really feels rewarding like it did in GW1.

I don’t notice much of a difference at all when I put my MF set on. Without it I get about the same rate of rares, however in D2 MF really had an impact.. I wonder what formula ANet uses because it doesn’t seem to just “increase drop quality” at all.

I think that drop rates for good loot are so low it doesn’t really matter what you’re running because as others have said, drops are simply abysmal as it is. You’re barely helping yourself by running MF.

When drops are upped so that I’m making 10g+ an hour instead of my 6g, I will personally come back in this thread to thank people like you :P

But then again everyone else who makes decent money now with no complaints would be making more too. And this would probably mean the economy changing, which.. I guess could just even it out anyway. Well thats no fun.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

laokoko.7403

If you farm in a group, doing orr event, I’m sure you’ll get more than 15 drop in 1 hour.

I think the money you get from orr is comparible to dungeon. I just dont’ like grinding in orr as much because you need to click alot more.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Im pretty sure it wasnt RNG… DR has definatly hit me in Cursed Shore. Coulda been after 25 mins though, and maybe for 10 minutes he had bad RNG drops but its completly plausible that he did hit DR.

You don’t seem to grasp how drops work in this game.

every time you tag a mob and it dies, you get a ‘roll’ against a few drop tables(based on the mob type/location)… this is RNG. It determines every single drop you may or may not get.

The DR system works a bit like an inverse Magic Find, lowering your odds on each drop table once you’ve met certain criteria. It takes more than just 30 minutes in the same overworld map to trigger any kind of diminishing returns.. you have to kill the same mobs over and over and over to start hitting DR, or run the same event back to back to back.

Players don’t get the drops they want and they just blame DR.

Yes I have been DR’d from Cursed Shore multiple times. I can tell because …

…of anecdotal observations on an extremely tiny sample.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

some people posting the same experience as Op means that it really is possible to get almost nothing from farming the open world.
and anet wonder why their open world is so empty…
its just isn’t worth it.!! that’s why!!
when the endgame revolves around massive grinding to get shinnies.. people will go to the most effective way to farm it. and going to the vast open world other than the usual event trains spot is just a waste of time, when the amount of material and gold they have to make to forge an items are frikkin huge!!
and then.. there’s the dreaded DR…
sad.. but without incentives and rewards, open world will always be empty..

Posted by: PainShot.7154

PainShot.7154

Almost always feel like my time is better spent in a fractal or waiting around for the megabosses to spawn.

Hell, thats a strong declaration o.o

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

The OP clearly hasn’t made any sacrifices to the gem store lately, and the game is punishing him now. :P

(It’s just a joke….)

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Reading everyone comments you guys really really misread mine lol For starters why do you have to farm for it? Just play normally and the materials for your legendary will drop all in do time. By forcing yourself to get one your taking the fun out of getting one and all you can say when you get one is I just spent X amount of time farming or buying off of TP. Where as I will go I spent X + Y amount of time actually playing the game for fun not a job. If I want to farm for materials i go play Perfect World like really you don’t have to have that legendary right now.

What will be the difference between getting your legendary right now compared to 2 years from now? Nothing expect cost (it should be lower if your smart and saved your materials) and more choices of legendaries to pick from. You guys do realize they are going to release new ones eventually that probably be better then what they have now.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Reading everyone comments you guys really really misread mine lol For starters why do you have to farm for it? Just play normally and the materials for your legendary will drop all in do time. By forcing yourself to get one your taking the fun out of getting one and all you can say when you get one is I just spent X amount of time farming or buying off of TP. Where as I will go I spent X + Y amount of time actually playing the game for fun not a job. If I want to farm for materials i go play Perfect World like really you don’t have to have that legendary right now.

What will be the difference between getting your legendary right now compared to 2 years from now? Nothing expect cost (it should be lower if your smart and saved your materials) and more choices of legendaries to pick from. You guys do realize they are going to release new ones eventually that probably be better then what they have now.

To all those who mentioned lfg site, i know about it, but i resent having to go to an external site to find a group in gw2. that just don’t seem right to me somehow, but i guess i may have to resort to that.

@Suddenflame, i never really farmed, i played the game since head start and lvled x8 chars, one of each class. i saved all the t6 mats i acquired in the course of leveling my chars and getting them all 100% world completion. but despite that, I’m not even close to getting enough mats for leg weap. just the crystalline dust, i would need 750 for bifrost and i only have like 160 atm. its not cheap to buy either, in fact more expensive than ectos right now.

I decided right at the start i won’t be rushed into getting a legendary weapon and saw it as a long term goal, never actually thinking i’d run out of things to do…at least those i’m interested in doing, before i get my LW. but I got to a point now where i don’t really have anything much left to do in the game other than LW and it is an achievement after all. so a little while ago, i began doing little amounts farming. I can’t do it for long, i hate farming for anything really, would much rather just play the game, but i feel i need something to keep myself interested in the game until some new maps are opened up.

Some will tell me to go try some other game, but there’s nothing out there i’m interested in atm.

And the truth is, some t6 mats only drop from certain enemies in certain places, so you’re kind of forced to go there and give it a shot.

I don’t use MF on my gear, i only take some food for it, but i swear most of the time i get better drops without it lol. Frankly i don’t believe in MF. one shouldn’t have to sacrifice one’s gear stats just to get decent drops, in fact i think its extremely wrong to force players into that. most people say unless u get at least 50% mf, don’t bother with it, but the highest level of food as far as i know is only 40% hence forcing ppl to sacrifice important stats on their gear to enhance mf. simply no!

Anyway, i’ll keep trying for a while longer, but i must admit (and i never thought i’d say this as i had awaited this game for a long time and love and dislike many things about it…its definitely a love hate relationship atm lol), but i’m getting extremely bored with gw2 now. so i’m now awaiting some of the new games coming out this year, like ESO and give them a try.

I see many post on this forum of maxed out players getting bored and nothing of interested to do. I have no doubt gw2 will improve over time, but to me, instead of putting out and wasting resources on temporary content, they should be focusing on adding meaningful expansions to the game. its frustrating being bored, yet seeing all them inaccessible maps all around us, taunting us. it seems such a waste and if they opened them up, that would alleviate much of the boredom ppl are feeling right now.

And please, just bear in mind, now everyone is interested in WvW, pvp, dungeons etc. so save ur suggestions for those to another thread.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Pretty much everything I have in the game is bought with Moldy Bags. Though Mining Bags might be a prospect too.

I guess the problem is that it’s generally more profitable to run between Pertinent and Jofast and kill all the large mobs that spawn during the events.

Personally, I also like doing the Straits of Devastation southern invasion path chain as the DR kicks in for Cursed. The events are pretty easy and have large mobs. If you can get the Balthazar event going, there’s a ton of stuff to be dropped there. Yes, those bags are worth less than the heavy moldy ones but sometimes volume > nothing.

It might also help to not wear as much MF, as killing mobs faster has its own benefits. (Does MF even effect chance for materials/bags?)

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

I hate DR with passion. I don’t see ranger bot trains anymore (replaced with teleporting gathering bots) and yet, the DR is still there, punishing human players. Best way to make money right now is grinding P1 of CoF. Might as well always doing it, before Anet also nerf it.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I blame Claw of Jormag.
Many people end up killing the arctodus near it while waiting for it to spawn or on their way to the gathering nodes. Also for me the t5 blood seems to drop a lot more often than the other t5 fine materials, maybe some people are converting the t5 to t6? On the other hand I don’t spend much time in Orr so the drops for me might be skewed because of where I tend to hang out.

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

The OP clearly hasn’t made any sacrifices to the gem store lately, and the game is punishing him now. :P

(It’s just a joke….)

I actually tried that clay and my drops were still bad. True story :-(

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?