Farming vs RnG rage machine

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

So anyone who farmed the Mals Leap farm over the last week or so will know it dropped decent loot for some T6 mats and Heavy Bags, it was stealth nerfed last night, in the last month they nerfed 2 farms in Orr now,

The beach in the cursed shore, was changed that there is no loot at all dropped now.
Mals Leap farm was nerfed that there are close to no drops now,

YET we still have 8 min runs threw CoF, so if your a zerker warrior or a Mesmer/guardian you are set, as you can just run this 60 times a day, im sure some people have made 100’s of gold from CoF in the last 2 months, yet everywhere else getkitten in a week,

The drops in the game are poor, the Anet RnG machine is in full swing, and it seems only a few selected accounts will ever get anything decent, in Sunsouth cove you can grab the MF boost from the NPC, when testing this I had 362% MF and farmed for an hour, the best I got was 2 powerful bloods, everything else was crap, no chests, no rares, no exotics, nothing.

If you are so against farming, and will continue to nerf the crap out of it, can you be up front, im not prepared to spend $$$$$ to convert into gold to play this game.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

They fixed an event that was being exploited.

Posted by: void.6705

void.6705

Ok so ill buy that one for now, what about the maggot farm no broken event there?

Pen/Shelt wasnt broken? well it did break at times but overall they nerfed the drops?

There was also a spot in Malchors where 3-4 mobs would run to the same area that got nerfed as well.

It’s a trend they have wiped out most areas people went to farm materials or cash outside of dungeons

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Go to Southsun Cove – massive farming going on there now and ANet even gave us +200 Magic Find to help

Posted by: Ghettoblade.7962

Ghettoblade.7962

Remember..farming is bad..you dont need mats or anything else to make better gear,so you can do dungeons.The poor people that want their legendary.kill 100 mobs for 1 t6 mat,yes its suppose to take time,but come on.RNG and DR it hurts the regular player.A lot of players like to farm.Southsun Cove has lots of things to kill,but dont call it farming,cause we dont farm in GW2,we just go around killing things in hopes something nice will drop(and good luck with that).I will stop my rant now,flame me if you wish.

Posted by: TheOnlyOneNL.3821

TheOnlyOneNL.3821

I’m farming in Southsun Cove and I’m getting 4 gold per hour, 1 consortium chest per hour and even a 200% magic find boost.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

What do you farm to get the consortium chests, I’ve never seen one drop.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Pen/Shelt wasnt broken? well it did break at times but overall they nerfed the drops?

wasn’t pent/shelt yet another event where people would stop others from completing it, because they wanted loot?

Posted by: Siigari.6587

Siigari.6587

I want to clear up the “free 200% MF” thing right here.

1. 200% MF is given away so people can log in, do some events and pick up some loot then be done with SS for the day. It caters to casuals, directly and pointedly.
2. A free 200% MF only gets you better loot until Anet’s system says no more and they cut you off. When you’re cut off, MF serves no additional function.
3. The 200% MF buff only works in SS. Which means those unique mobs could have their loot table skewed to account for that.

I’m tired of hearing about SS. The work you need to put in to get anything of gain is paltry at best, yet Anet wants to shove people into SS like sardines into a can. Even the dailies push you there.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

1. 200% MF is given away so people can log in, do some events and pick up some loot then be done with SS for the day. It caters to casuals, directly and pointedly.
2. A free 200% MF only gets you better loot until Anet’s system says no more and they cut you off. When you’re cut off, MF serves no additional function.
3. The 200% MF buff only works in SS. Which means those unique mobs could have their loot table skewed to account for that.

I’m tired of hearing about SS. The work you need to put in to get anything of gain is paltry at best, yet Anet wants to shove people into SS like sardines into a can. Even the dailies push you there.

I don’t know. I’m not even a farmer and I do quite well on Southsun with the buff. Armored scales, powerful bloods and poison sacks, a relatively decent amount of rares.

I’m not quite sure what you’re on about.

Posted by: Captain Bulldozer.9028

Captain Bulldozer.9028

I’m farming in Southsun Cove and I’m getting 4 gold per hour, 1 consortium chest per hour and even a 200% magic find boost.

I’m not saying that you’re wrong or anything, or even that you’re padding your numbers a bit. But I do know that when I spend an hour doing stuff in Southsun cove, I get no where close to the numbers you’re claiming, even with the 200 MF boost.

I don’t about anyone else (though I have some hunches ) but I might actually like to hear Anet’s idea of how they think we should go about earning money in this game. It’s a pretty safe bet that CoF p1 will be targeted soon (as other dungeons already have) as well as any place that proves to be “too profitable” by whatever metric they’re using. For my part, I don’t think that’s all bad, as keeping inflation under control is definitely very important. However, what are we to do to make money?

After these repeated nerfs to farming locations, combined with the somewhat unrewarding nature of much of the rest of the game, its quickly looking like the unavoidable conclusion is that, the only ways they want to see players become “wealthy” is by either playing the game in a way that is not FUN (like not finishing events so we can farm or GRIND our brains out) or to spend REAL WORLD MONEY for GEMS. Players, like me, who have stopped paying for gems until we start to see some of the improvements we’ve asked for (and been promised)… to say nothing of those who can’t afford the over-the-top gem prices … are quickly being left with no FUN alternatives Anet.

If you WANT to alienate your customers and cause them to stop playing, keep it up. (Hey, at least it’ll keep your server costs down). There are plenty of other places to spend money in life… personally I’m starting to think Anet has lost out on any future revenue from me (but I am willing to give them perhaps one or two more chances IF they earn them).

Posted by: Nintendan.3071

Nintendan.3071

wasn’t pent/shelt yet another event where people would stop others from completing it, because they wanted loot?

No it was 100% the other way around. Everyone wanted to help finish the event so we could get to the other and get their loot. I really wish they didn’t nerf pent/shelt it was one of the few farm spots that gave good money, but didn’t make people crazy. Shore farm you had people freak out over breaking the wrong grubs or breaking them at the wrong time. Lyssa farm you had lynch mobs calling out people/guilds who would end the event. Pent/shelt was one of the few farm spots I felt was friendly. I had loads of fun/interesting talks with random people I just grouped with. The farm was good but it wasn’t unlimited, so it hardly effected the market.

But now one of the very few farm options we have is CoF1 and that farming scene is poisons, just like lyssa and grub. After 4-5 days of running it, I’ve only had a good group once or twice. The rest will make it a blame game of who screwed up what. So the only option for people now is build zerker warriors or mesmer and run CoF1 with some of the worst in the community. Thank god anet hates farmers because they’re doing everything in their power to drive them away from the game.

Posted by: BobJoeXXI.2493

BobJoeXXI.2493

+1
I have felt like ANet is forcing this SS down our throats. I don’t like the enemies, the atmosphere, the story, or anything else about SS. The fact that ANet is spending a great deal of time with SS and not other areas is disappointing.

Apicharr Science [ASci] – Maguuma
80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Warrior, 80 Mesmer, 80 Engineer.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

There are too many factors that determine what type of loot you get in the game and too many demands on certain items which necessitates the need to farm for them.

First you have the drop rate which is controlled by ANET.
Then you have Magic Find, controlled by the players.
Add to that Diminishing Returns which modifies what you get as a drop.

Now throw in what many have complained about and what ANET refuses to address/acknowledge is that many people seem to have gotten stuck in a perma-DR mode.

Then consider that legendary weapons and ascended gear take a pile of resources. There are two methods to gain these resources, buy them from the TP or farm for them. Yes, legendary weapons should take time but consider that most people will spend no longer then 3 years at any game before moving on and you have a time-frame in which people want to accomplish things. Buying gems and converting to gold is fine for those with a good income but for students, retirees or people on fixed incomes buying gems is something they will do once in awhile and not on a constant basis.

By placing the dreaded RNG into the equation and limiting the window of opportunity to gain a certain item through rng you again place a timeframe on people which pressure them into buying gems to convert to gold.

Looking at it all in my opinion ANETs marketing gurus are painting themselves into a corner. People will move on to other games, that is a given in this business but the way things are currently going people will pack up and leave earlier then they normally would and word of mouth will not bring in new players.

What they should do is either lower the amount of materials required to gain special items (40 laurels AND 50 ecto for 1 ascended item?) or increase the opportunity for players to get these items by farming if they so wish. In other word quit trying to force people to follow what their bean counters want and give people the choice to either buy gems or grind for what they want. That choice will keep more people around for a longer period of time. The more they remove “choice” the more they remove the enjoyment for the game and the more greedy they look.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Ok so ill buy that one for now, what about the maggot farm no broken event there?

There was also a spot in Malchors where 3-4 mobs would run to the same area that got nerfed as well.

It’s a trend they have wiped out most areas people went to farm materials or cash outside of dungeons

I won’t, it’s not an exploit to finally and at long last get rewarded for your time. If they wanted to tell us they hated farmers they should have told us that in their countless prelaunch interviews, not led us to believe that they wanted all players to play their game when it’s in fact obvious they only wanted our $60 at launch.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Captain Bulldozer.9028

Captain Bulldozer.9028

I frankly don’t understand why their “fix” to the Lyssa farm was to eliminate drops. That’s just idiotic in my opinion. Wouldn’t it have been simpler and less idiotic to simply add a timer to that event so that it would fail after a certain time instead of letting it stay open and continue to respawn risen indefinitely? How about if it only respawns so many foes before stopping while the event is up? The way they “fixed” it makes even players who weren’t farming it not see much incentive to do that event anymore.

There are easier temples to complete that have the same giant chest filled with insta-merch. Why waste time on Lyssa’s event when we know the foes won’t be dropping anything?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That’s why I believe it’s just a stop gap. Something quick that didn’t need a lot of testing.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Half my guild just left this game at the same time because they got bored of getting no loot and having nothing better to do. One of the members of the guild got about 200 people together to discuss where the future of this game might go, and they all decided to leave for WoW and other mmorpgs, so they said their goodbyes and just left. That’s the direction Anet is going, so good luck.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: schwaahly.3254

schwaahly.3254

This my friend is by far the best post I have read A big +1 to you sir

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Half my guild just left this game at the same time because they got bored of getting no loot and having nothing better to do. One of the members of the guild got about 200 people together to discuss where the future of this game might go, and they all decided to leave for WoW and other mmorpgs, so they said their goodbyes and just left. That’s the direction Anet is going, so good luck.

Meanwhile, my guild is going strong wiht 450 people, 40+ online, max people in vent, 20+ during wurm meta last night. Sounds like ya need a new guild bro

Posted by: Gasoline.2570

Gasoline.2570

Meanwhile, my guild is going strong wiht 450 people, 40+ online, max people in vent, 20+ during wurm meta last night. Sounds like ya need a new guild bro

Neat-o. Very neat-o.

The balance team is chained to SPVP, and the PVE team is all about producing carnivals

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

I just went to Southsun Cove and I didnt find the MF usefull becouse there are low enemies and the main source of drop are the chests, which the MF doesnt affect.

Sorry for my english.

Posted by: TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

TheOneNOnlyGeneralBama.9586

I’m not saying that you’re wrong or anything, or even that you’re padding your numbers a bit. But I do know that when I spend an hour doing stuff in Southsun cove, I get no where close to the numbers you’re claiming, even with the 200 MF boost.

I don’t about anyone else (though I have some hunches ) but I might actually like to hear Anet’s idea of how they think we should go about earning money in this game. It’s a pretty safe bet that CoF p1 will be targeted soon (as other dungeons already have) as well as any place that proves to be “too profitable” by whatever metric they’re using. For my part, I don’t think that’s all bad, as keeping inflation under control is definitely very important. However, what are we to do to make money?

After these repeated nerfs to farming locations, combined with the somewhat unrewarding nature of much of the rest of the game, its quickly looking like the unavoidable conclusion is that, the only ways they want to see players become “wealthy” is by either playing the game in a way that is not FUN (like not finishing events so we can farm or GRIND our brains out) or to spend REAL WORLD MONEY for GEMS. Players, like me, who have stopped paying for gems until we start to see some of the improvements we’ve asked for (and been promised)… to say nothing of those who can’t afford the over-the-top gem prices … are quickly being left with no FUN alternatives Anet.

If you WANT to alienate your customers and cause them to stop playing, keep it up. (Hey, at least it’ll keep your server costs down). There are plenty of other places to spend money in life… personally I’m starting to think Anet has lost out on any future revenue from me (but I am willing to give them perhaps one or two more chances IF they earn them).

I Highly doubt he’s padding those numbers , actually his numbers are a bit lackluster imo ..im avging 10g at the least , and if you don’t believe me ill like you to farm with me and i’ll show you how i do it . I’m like a well oiled machine when it comes to farming anything in this game.

I never expect to lose. Even when I’m the Engineer , I still prepare a victory speech.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

I do not doubt his numbers, they may be possible. I do wish however ANET would look into their diminishing returns code (DR) and come back to us saying it is working properly. I just spent the last hour at Southsun farming skelks and got a total of 0 crates, 4 powerful blood and a bunch of junk. Now I had been spending time running an alt through his story line and getting him to level 80 so the anti farming code should not have been in effect, yet the results tell me it was. Too many people seem to be locked out of the loot because the anti-farm code is not being reset. In all I have a grand total of 2 crates found in Southsun since it all began. That is trying different alts there, taking breaks after an hour to go do something else and killing everything that moves.

ANET PLEASE look into your DR code!

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

About SS. i went there the other day with 410 magic find (not a full set because i still wants my armor to be effective, and i used celestial stats on trinket +food+bonfire+banners+guild boost).
you would think that 410% magic find can be enough for rares and exotic. still the champion rioter gave me blue and green all the time, when i returned to my still abnormal 365% magic find, i was getting blue and green again…

sometimes i got crates. reguardless my bonuses.

i think this 200% magic find boost is just fake. the loot in the island is scaled around it. there would be no reason to have a guaranteed karka shell from karka vets, if magic find would work properly.

i’m only saying this because i thought in the past that magic find could make a difference, but it appears not! my boyfriend looted leaf of kudzu from the champion istigator the very first day the new living story was launched, than he made his legendary and now he has an armor set with all runes of divinity and gave up his magic find because he doesn’t need it anymore…
you know what? he still loot crates, and rares same as before.

we play same content, but he is far richer than me from the very beginning (i’m mesmer he is guardian). we farm the same spots he get the goodies i get the pourus bones or the globb of gloopy glub…
the only luck in me is he is my boyfriend and he doesn’t need gold that bad now that he is happy with his legendary, so if i need something he give it to me (and he actually is responsible for me to getting the gift for my legendary completed). so i guess i just need to wait for him to mystic forge my precursor or just loot one…

so what do you think now about this 200% magic find boost? i really don’t know. to be fair there are days i’m so lucky i can’t believe it and he is not, but still…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I used to play 10 to 15hrs a day on average(2900+ hours), now I log in do my dailies and about 5 or 6 world events and log off, I don’t even farm for mats like I used to and I love farming, no motivation to do anything else anymore with things being taken away from us or dangled like a carrot so far out of reach that you won’t even try for it. I blame NCsoft for this because I know ANET is better than this.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

(edited by Im Mudbone.1437)