Fastest 'free' way to level currently?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ThunderPanda.1872

ThunderPanda.1872

Title says all. Please help. I really don’t like the ‘journey of leveling’, and wish to level as fast I can since it seems like most parts of the game are endgame contents. But I have no gold for crafting. T_T So what’s the current fastest free way to level?

Send me 1000g and I will stop trolling WvW forum.
I have a dream – Our Anet Senpai will make WvW Great Again!
WvW Forum is more competitive than WvW

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

You’re kinda late.

Battle for LA was a very fast free way to lvl up, in addition you could buy Tomes of Knowledge to boost your lvl even faster. Took me less than a week to reach lvl 80 on my ele. The event ends tomorrow though.

Another free way to lvl up was via spvp and buying Tomes of Knowledge with glory. However glory is getting removed from spvp as a reward you can earn tomorrow.

That leaves you with WvW

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Takes a month very slow and less than 2 weeks dedicated map and event participation to get to max.

Posted by: Undertaker.2731

Undertaker.2731

Or if u have a lvl 80..u could just do dungeons and switch to the alt u want to lvl at final boss, the alt gets the exp rewarded for doing the dungeon, think its 70% of 1 lvl orso

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

If you’re new to the game, I’d say mapping or wvw zerging is the quickest.

If you’re not new, I recommend using killstreak boosters, experience boosters, improved experience boosters, %experience food, and laureate experience boosters and killing things in less populated areas and yellow monsters. You’ll get lots of experience this way.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

Go do the frikin Hearts/DE’s/Explroe the World! WHy is everyone so obsessed with getting to lvl 80 with tomes/crafting. Even if you get it to 80 you still need Waypoints to move around

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Off the top of my head:
Lvl 1- 20 Queensdale champ train
Lvl 21-40 – ???
Lvl 40 – 50 – Harathi meta chain farming
Lvl 51 – 68 – complete all personal story quests, explore, WvW
lvl – 69 – 80 – Metaevent train on reset across 3 servers.

Also keep in mind that you can get 16 levels for under 15G with artificer/cooking

ThunderPanda.1872

Off the top of my head:
Lvl 21-40 – ???

Also keep in mind that you can get 16 levels for under 15G with artificer/cooking

there’s a train in harathi?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Personally I think the best way is to just explore the world and do the personal story. You can get full map completion, a good amount of gold, lots of SP’s and karma and hit level 80 in about 50 hours of play just by running around and completing maps.

Farming and grinding is all you’ll be doing once you hit 80, enjoy the leveling process, the world is beautiful.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Harathi has the single best meta event chain in the game. I try to run it at least once a week just for fun.

It isn’t a “train” where you run from champ to champ over and over, it is a chain of events that culminates in a world boss fight.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Off the top of my head:
Lvl 21-40 – ???

Yeah it’s a pretty long train, +30 minutes

Related:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKkW0MrjlqU&list=UUP_FgMqOxp_VsM0UfrL-DxA

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

WHy is everyone so obsessed with getting to lvl 80 with tomes/crafting.

Usually it’s because people think level capping means you’re one of the cool kids, or because they are convinced that the “end game” content is so incredibly amazing that the rest of the content isn’t worth doing. So they blitz to 80, then complain on the forums about there being nothing to do.

But mostly it’s about being one of the cool kids.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

ThunderPanda.1872

Usually it’s because people think level capping means you’re one of the cool kids, or because they are convinced that the “end game” content is so incredibly amazing that the rest of the content isn’t worth doing. So they blitz to 80, then complain on the forums about there being nothing to do.

It’s more about, I’m interested in WvW (Solo Roaming and groups, even zergs), i like duels and fights with other players, and not so much doing PVE with my brain shut down and my eyes closed.

wvw was good for leveling, but the server has kinda died down, it’s not longer really fast anymore…

(edited by ThunderPanda.1872)

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“Please help. I really don’t like the ‘journey of leveling’, and wish to level as fast I can since it seems like most parts of the game are endgame contents.”

You can go straight into SPvP at any level and you will play at equal level with equal gear.

You can go straight into WvW at any level and you will be scaled up to level 80. You will be worse than a real level 80 but if you are skilful it won’t matter. You will not be skilful as you won’t know what you’re doing but you can learn the basics while hiding in the crowds.

For PvE you might as well level up by exploring the world. It tells you the in game stories. It gives you waypoints for travelling to the end game events and dungeons that are scattered across the world. It gives you time to learn your class, sometimes much more difficult than new players appreciate. It gives you time to learn the basic creature types and their animations. You can follow the personal story instead of leaving it as meaningless task to catch up on later. There is a lot of open world content but it isn’t talked about much since it is not repeatable content. You might as well see it once and have a look at the jumping puzzles, hidden dungeons, world events, vistas, etc.

Most living story events have scaling so that all players can take part. They often take place in the open world so exploring the map is helpful for them.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

Posted by: yayuuu.9420

yayuuu.9420

WHy is everyone so obsessed with getting to lvl 80 with tomes/crafting. Even if you get it to 80 you still need Waypoints to move around

I’ve made my elementalist to 80, exploring the whole map (yea, I have star). I’ve made my thief after that and believe me or not, that doing it again is boring as hell. I want to get my thief to lvl 80 without even playing it, then equip him with ascended items (also without even playing it) and then I can start playing
I’ve leveled it up to 20 with birthday scroll, then to around lvl 30 doing personal story, then again to lvl 55 with tomes from LW. Personal story is somehow still fun for me (I just like stories). My first attempt to do personal story ended up with me being lvl 30 and doing lvl 40 personal story (yea, I have managed to to it solo somehow ;D )
I just hope that there will be more opportunities to get Tomes in PVE, because I don’t feel like farming 25 levels in one day (well, let’s say 15, because I would get another 10 doing personal story).

ThunderPanda.1872

“Please help. I really don’t like the ‘journey of leveling’, and wish to level as fast I can since it seems like most parts of the game are endgame contents.”

You can go straight into SPvP at any level and you will play at equal level with equal gear.

You can go straight into WvW at any level and you will be scaled up to level 80. You will be worse than a real level 80 but if you are skilful it won’t matter. You will not be skilful as you won’t know what you’re doing but you can learn the basics while hiding in the crowds.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with you.
First, wvw roaming is almost completely different to spvp.
Also, trying bring a uplevel toon and try roam on it. I won’t have access to all the traits, utilities, armor stats, etc. Trying dueling a thief, even a bad one can still get a few backstabs on me (OR OF COURSE, I’m going to dodge every single one of them while they’re in stealth!!!! —-_-— And no access to traits and utilities that can counter them, not to mention the kitten armor stats…) My damage, even running at full dps build of that level will only tickle even a thief…

Oh and by the way, you can hardly find parties that want non-level 80s to do a dungeon together…

(edited by ThunderPanda.1872)

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

Go do the frikin Hearts/DE’s/Explroe the World! WHy is everyone so obsessed with getting to lvl 80 with tomes/crafting. Even if you get it to 80 you still need Waypoints to move around

Well among other things, there are quite a bunch of elitist jerks that prefer only 80s in dungeons, thus shutting players out of dungeons and FOTM.
Also please consider that some of us have several 80s already from regular leveling, at some point it just gets boring to repeatedly complete the same zones and then leveling to 80 as quickly as possible to begin with something more interesting might be preferable

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

/offtopic

Well among other things, there are quite a bunch of elitist jerks that prefer only 80s in dungeons, thus shutting players out of dungeons and FOTM.

I’d never, ever play with anyone under lvl 80 in FOTM, if you would you haven’t played fractals alot.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

/offtopic

I’d never, ever play with anyone under lvl 80 in FOTM, if you would you haven’t played fractals alot.

I enjoyed leveling my level ~60ish ranger in level 1s back a couple months ago. but I made my own groups.

I also play fractals quite frequently (level 49s on my main), and know each level very well, and thus was able to do so without much trouble.

This said, anything above 9 I would never bring a lowbie in and would not accept a lowbie into my groups.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Zutha.5091

Zutha.5091

No matter which one you choose it’s going to be boring..

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Let me tell you something OP. Racing to 80 as fast as possible is possibly one of the most self-defeating things you can do in this game. You might feel satisfied for an hour or two, but once you get a full set of exotics and settle on a build, you will be staring down the barrel of ascended crafting and the pursuit of legendaries and wonder if it’s even worth the effort.

It’s sort of like trying to get through childhood quickly so that you can get a jump on paying your mortgage.

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

I have little issues leveling, you need food, boosters, and a nice group of friends to run around and be silly with. Issue of boring leveling solved. There is no reason to rush to 80. I roam solo on none 80’s, I don’t play fractals (just not my thing).

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

you will be staring down the barrel of ascended crafting and the pursuit of legendaries and wonder if it’s even worth the effort.

There is so, so much more to this game than either of those two which are entirely unessential.

Posted by: Yasocim.4326

Yasocim.4326

Currently, as zMajc mentioned, Battle for LA is the best to level up. But that is ending tomorrow.

I wanted to add, for future reference, the single best place I ever found to level fast was in the Labyrinth at Halloween. I created two toons and leveled both to 80 in there by stacking all the XP boosters onto them and just ran with the farming train. Tons of T5 & T6 mat drops, more candy corn than I could count.

Pretty much any of these LS events that level you to 80 to be able to participate will do the same – I bet there will be more in the coming months as well.

I also would not rule out just playing the game – I have leveled 4 characters by doing quests, hearts, etc., its fun to redo many of the hearts (some are a PITA) and I like to challenge myself by getting map completion.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Edge of the Mists is great for powerleveling.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

@ the OP:

If this is your first character, by all means… simply play the game. Do the hearts, Dynamic Events, Meta events, and wander the world looking at everything. It’s well worth it the first time through if for no other reason than it teaches you how to play. There is a lot of mechanics that are not difficult, but definitely different than other games.

If this is an alt, and you’re just trying to make it to 80 so you can join your friends with a class other than your “main” then I would still recommend doing the hearts and whatnot, because other than spending gold, it’s still the best way to level.

In general, one can gain a level every hour or 2, depending on the heart, event, or meta. The nice thing is that it doesn’t matter if it’s going from level 10-11 or 79-80, it still takes roughly the same time instead of racing to level 40 and sitting there for a week til 41.

My personal advice is not to rush it. Don’t be “that guy” who’s sitting around in a hub wondering why there’s nothing to do.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Tpvp was good still will be for a few more hours….

But once the patch goes live it wont be. You could get alliance supply bags and glory to buy Tomes from both sets of currency.

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

/offtopic

and the first part of that sentence is entirely your choice but when you add that anyone who would hasn’t played enough fractals you’re simply posing a logical fallacy and that doesn’t quite hold up so it all kinda becomes moot.

But for your sake, it is entirely up to you wether or not you want to play with sub 80s in FOTM, I do on occasion, I don’t quite care. Granted you do have to drop down to an easier tier to make it work, but I’ve ran FOTM10 with people whos been lvl 2 and it has worked just fine.
Like I said, your own choice tho, personally I would never join a group who rejected a player based upon their level or gear.

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

So funny, all these people saying “don’t rush, explore the world, it’s beautiful!”, “one of the cool kids” etc. It’s all so stupid. HELLO some of us have been playing since release and have 100% map on multiple characters and don’t wish to take our sweet A. time exploring a world we’ve already seen 100 times. We want to know some tips for getting to 80 quicker because, for example doing Frozen Maw on an 80 gets you guaranteed Rares, whereas doing it on a level 20 doesn’t, so it’s pretty much pointless.

Oh yeah right, this is where you say I shouldn’t be playing for loot but should be playing for fun instead.

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

Posted by: kgptzac.8419

kgptzac.8419

I think most people lfg for lv80s are neither elitists nor jerks. Though I really wouldn’t recommend doing dungeons (at least explorable mode) before lv80, simply because the dungeon system is rather arcane and not friendly to new players.

a shard of crystal in the desert.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Harathi has the single best meta event chain in the game. I try to run it at least once a week just for fun.

It isn’t a “train” where you run from champ to champ over and over, it is a chain of events that culminates in a world boss fight.

Indeed – and the supply bags from like #1 and #3 of that event chain yield kittentons of cotton, which happens to have decent demand right now.

I think that event chain is the one in which all my alts spend the majority of their time because there are so many benefits to it. I’d love to know if there’s one comparable to it at higher levels.

medohgeuh.4650

So funny, all these people saying “don’t rush, explore the world, it’s beautiful!”, “one of the cool kids” etc. It’s all so stupid. HELLO some of us have been playing since release and have 100% map on multiple characters and don’t wish to take our sweet A. time exploring a world we’ve already seen 100 times. We want to know some tips for getting to 80 quicker because, for example doing Frozen Maw on an 80 gets you guaranteed Rares, whereas doing it on a level 20 doesn’t, so it’s pretty much pointless.

Oh yeah right, this is where you say I shouldn’t be playing for loot but should be playing for fun instead.

Ah yes, the mythical anti-hipster hipster, the irony to end all ironies.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Actually, while I wouldn’t say you “should” or “shouldn’t” do anything; the reality is there’s truth in that statement – the loot’s (including materials) tweaked to so low a drop rate in most everywhere in this game that playing for loot’s frustrating.

Just keep in mind folks saying this (I’ve done it) are usually thinking a person who is asking is relatively new and they’re just trying to help.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s more about, I’m interested in WvW (Solo Roaming and groups, even zergs), i like duels and fights with other players, and not so much doing PVE with my brain shut down and my eyes closed.

wvw was good for leveling, but the server has kinda died down, it’s not longer really fast anymore…

You do yourself a disservice leveling as fast as you can. Your gear lags behind, you don’t get a chance to really play a class you level to 80 so you’re not comfortable with it, and your skills generally will not be as sharp as someone who put more time into the growth of their character than “oh wow, 80 in a week”.

Of course, that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: tomlin.8204

tomlin.8204

Ah yes, the mythical anti-hipster hipster, the irony to end all ironies.

I have no idea what you’re talking about tbh, this has nothing to do with yucky child-lingo of today and everything to do with people not being so assumptuous about people (often veterans) wanting to skip the tedious leveling process.

“meta” this, “meta” that. Please stop saying the word “meta”.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Fastest free way to level is to do Cathedral of Flame path 1 and switch from your level 80 to your lower level before the boss dies.
If you dont have a level 80 then you will have to join a guild that is fine with that. Probably gonna have to join a guild anyways to get a solid group for alt leveling.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Selver.1307

Selver.1307

I am leveling a second thief. I’ve used 20 booster and maybe 10 tomes. Lw to 500, weapon smith to 450, cooking to 400. This char has 4% map, hell my main is only 87%. I could care less about 1-79, my lagging gear( I can make what I need), or any of that. I want my 70 trait points, exotic gear from the bank, and then back to roaming.

My first was asuran, 900hrs. had to go bookah for aesthetics. So we’re trying to play how we want. I’d love tomes to be available for 3G or something. Not like I don’t know the character.

Posted by: wolfpaq.7354

wolfpaq.7354

I love how OP is asking for the quickest way to level and yet several posters in here are trying to tell him not to level quickly /boggle

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I love how OP is asking for the quickest way to level and yet several posters in here are trying to tell him not to level quickly /boggle

Because it is a common mistake some new players get into, try to level as fast as you can makes you miss A LOT of the game to reach something that doesn’t really exist (AKA, End Game).

EDIT: Doesn’t exist in the traditional way.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Because we dont’ like mind-numbing pve? It’s ok the 1st go around, in fact, it’s very fun and exciting.. well worth the enjoyment… but to do it again? /wrists

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

medohgeuh.4650

Because we dont’ like mind-numbing pve? It’s ok the 1st go around, in fact, it’s very fun and exciting.. well worth the enjoyment… but to do it again? /wrists

So much subjectivity.

Honestly, if you’re that spiteful towards any sort of repetition, don’t play an ARPG ever again.

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Because this thread has veered off topic, and people are now attacking each others’ play-styles, this thread is now closed.