Fastest way to get skill points?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ok, so here’s the deal. I’m now working on my second Legendary (Howler, if anyone is interested), and it’s coming down to the same problem as I had with my first: I’ve got 60 Mystic Clovers, and I estimate that by the time I’m done making the last few, I’ll be out of skill points. This happened before, and I don’t have the Bloodstone Shard yet. That’s 200 skill points. Everything else is done. Same situation all over again (kitten why did I have to craft Jormag’s Breath and Infinite Light before I decided to make another Legendary… but I digress).

I’ve been doing dungeon speed runs for leveling and EotM runs for champ bags in the hopes of getting Scrolls of Knowledge out of them, but EotM becomes a tiresome chore after a while and I’m only averaging about 3 scrolls per 15 bags. At an hourly rate, I’m getting totals of ~8 Scrolls and 3 or 4 levels. Not exactly efficient, and also very boring.

I’ve noticed that much like the LA event, Tomes of Knowledge are now available for 300 Festival tokens. That’s one option, but turning boxes into tokens is expensive and hit-or-miss. There are the various champ trains, etc, but I’d rather do something fun while I’m working towards more skill points. At any rate, I’d like to hear your feedback. Things I’ve come up with:

- EotM runs for champ bags/leveling
- Dungeon runs for straight XP leveling, occasional scrolls from bags
- Festival tokens for Tomes (boxes, gauntlet, blitz)
- Various champ trains such as the FG one
- PvP, but I’ve never played it, and I’m not sure if getting into it now would help me earn Tomes quickly or not. I know next to nothing about earning Tomes this way.

The Festival tokens have the most interest from me, since I could also level one of my other characters to 80+120 SP, but I don’t see an easy way of getting 300 tokens quickly over and over, being only able to do each gauntlet boss once per day for tokens, never finding a decent boss blitz instance to run for gold rewards, and with the bazaar events being spaced so far apart.

Tomes or Scrolls, doesn’t matter, I just need to get to 200 SP. What are your suggestions? Oh, if anyone routinely does gold boss blitzes and wouldn’t mind me joining, please add me to your contacts/whisper me ingame. I enjoy doing those, since it is much more than just mindless zerging.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

(edited by Ark Bladesteele.2943)

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

You can also try exporing for skill challenges. I’d think dungeons are the fastest though. You can certainly do AC+CoE full runs under a hour each. Each gives you 2.1 skill points+ boxes, plus gold for T6s etc.

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

Well, grinding is a chore, so don’t expect having too much fun in your quest.

I’m getting skill points regurarly doing the champ train in the Bazar.
And I’m doing the cuterace and the crystal collecting for the tokens when they’re up. (I want everything!! Hanyaa!) But in your case you can use the tokens for the scrolls.

But of course, even now I still enjoy doing the cuterace. (And not enjoyed doing the BB, at least zerging is, you know, mindless).

Anyways, Good Luck!!! Fighto!! Fighto!!

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Yeah, that’s on my list. I do AC and CoE full runs and CoF1, CM1 and 3 sometimes as well. It’s still quite repetitive with not much of a requirement other than “stack in this spot” or “stack in that spot.”

On further reflection, maybe this should be in the Players Helping Players forum.. I suppose if a mod sees this thread, move it, please? Thanks.

edit: and wait, there’s a champ train in the Bazaar? I’m also not talking about zerging the blitz, I’m talking about coordination across all 6 bosses to take them down within the gold time limit, which requires skill, focus, and very much the opposite of zerging.

(edited by Ark Bladesteele.2943)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Run a champ train or dungeon farm. Those are really your only two most effective options. Both will give you levels, and both give you champ boxes to potentially receive skill point scrolls out of.

Ark Bladesteele.2943

It appears some people aren’t reading the entirety of my post. I’m trying to avoid options such as those very 2. Running the same dungeons over and over isn’t fun. Killing the same champs in a train over and over isn’t fun.

Perhaps I should rephrase the topic: is there any way to earn skill points that’s both entertaining and relatively fast?

Aidan Savage.2078

Buy a second monitor (and gfx card to support it if necessary), set it up, play a movie on one screen, champ train on the other. Champ train is fast, and the movie keeps you entertained.

Short of that, no. You can either have entertaining (play for the sake of having fun), or fast (dungeon farm or champ train).

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

Yeah, that’s on my list. I do AC and CoE full runs and CoF1, CM1 and 3 sometimes as well. It’s still quite repetitive with not much of a requirement other than “stack in this spot” or “stack in that spot.”

On further reflection, maybe this should be in the Players Helping Players forum.. I suppose if a mod sees this thread, move it, please? Thanks.

edit: and wait, there’s a champ train in the Bazaar? I’m also not talking about zerging the blitz, I’m talking about coordination across all 6 bosses to take them down within the gold time limit, which requires skill, focus, and very much the opposite of zerging.

Yeah, every x minutes you can do the 5 champions in the bazaar. If you poke in the artifacts with five or more people a champion spawn.
And in the meantime you can do the cuterace and crystal collecting to get tokens.
The only bad thing is when people who do not know or care spawn the artifact alone and they pop up as vets.

And for the BB, I don’t like, it’s stressfull and some people it’s not very nice. Plus, it’s not very fun for me. Or challenging. The challenge is for the poor souls that have to organize the run. Those people are usually pretty cool and awesome, by the way.
But’s not my cup of tea. I like the cuterace more. Go cute stampede go!!

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Fractals are another option, you can turn in fractal tokens for skill points (I think fractal champs can also drop skill point scrolls right?)

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Aidan Savage.2078

Fractals are another option, you can turn in fractal tokens for skill points (I think fractal champs can also drop skill point scrolls right?)

I would sooner have my brain physically damaged from running the champ train too much than to use fractals as a source of skill points.

Posted by: aotd.4098

aotd.4098

Hey, logged in for first time in a year to answer your question – I’m in exact same situation as you and solved it: create a new character! I found myself with 0 skill points on my chars and the need for a Bloodstone Shard so I picked a new class (Guardian), and spent the weekend running around tyria to grab POIs, waypoints, and the 202 skill challenges.

20 or so hours of work, a new lvl 80 character, roughly 40g (admittedly with lucky drops) and 250 skill points.

+ you get to re-experience the beautiful world of Tyria while avoiding the boring hearts.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I would sooner have my brain physically damaged from running the champ train too much than to use fractals as a source of skill points.

Then it sounds rather like you want to obtain skill points, without actually playing the game. It’s pretty rare that “fun and varied” and “quickest” overlap, indeed, the “quickest” option invariably becomes a chore, simply because you would need to grind said “quickest” option and once you’re grinding something it gets dull fast.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It’s been a long time since I had any problem with skill points. I have a kitten ton of those. But back in the days when I crafted several mystic forge weapons and my first legendary, i needed some, so I went on skill challenge hunt with my characters. Just run to skill point only. Not only, this will give you about 200 skill points (depend if you already did on bunch of skill challenge with that character), but it will bring that character closer to map completion if you need it in the future.

Right now, like i said i don’t have any more problem with skill points, but lately I organized a couple of Gold Boss Blitz, mainly to get more gauntlet ticket, and I ended up with a huge amount of skill point scrolls. I didn’t make a precise account of all the skill point I gained doing that, but the last time i probably got about 40-60 skills points in about 3 hours. I’m not sure the exact number, but i remember having a lot of them. It can be hard to find a Gold Boss blitz, but you can find some in the Open World LFG where ppl serve as taxi for the map. It seem to me as one of the fastest way to gain skill point, and you will get a good amount of gauntlet ticket, festival tokens, tier 6 et other stuff.

P.S. : The skill points scrolls come from all the champion bags you get from the boss blitz.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

It appears some people aren’t reading the entirety of my post. I’m trying to avoid options such as those very 2. Running the same dungeons over and over isn’t fun. Killing the same champs in a train over and over isn’t fun.

Perhaps I should rephrase the topic: is there any way to earn skill points that’s both entertaining and relatively fast?

PvP

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

kitten why did I have to craft… Infinite Light before I decided to make another Legendary..

That’s a good question So many valuable mats totally wasted.

Anyways, champ bags are the easiest way to get skillpoints. I have several full stacks I haven’t even consumed sitting in my bank from running dungeons.

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Thanks for the responses, guys. For now, I suppose I’ll just rotate to keep myself entertained. Do dungeons for a bit, move to a champ train for an hour, do the Sanctum stuff for a bit, move on, etc. And definitely get in on any gold blitzes I can. World exploration does seem like maybe something I could do on one of my other characters this weekend (I’ve leveled a guardian and thief through crafting alone to 50 using boosters but rarely take them out into the field).

Soon, my precious Howler, soon.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

grind more, thats all i have to say.

R.I.P Kumu <3

Aidan Savage.2078

Then it sounds rather like you want to obtain skill points, without actually playing the game. It’s pretty rare that “fun and varied” and “quickest” overlap, indeed, the “quickest” option invariably becomes a chore, simply because you would need to grind said “quickest” option and once you’re grinding something it gets dull fast.

No, I’d rather simply not do fractals specifically as a source of skill points. If I chose to get skill points as a result of the fracta, that’s one thing, but I refuse to go there specifically for skill points.

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Update:

Got into a gold BB instance, and have been in it for the last 2 hours. I’ve gained 84 skill points, earned countless rares, and gotten a few exotics. And enough festival tokens to buy 5 Tomes. And it’s fun! Keep rotating between the different bosses and it stays interesting.

Best choice of any of the ideas above.