Faulty reward system?

Faulty reward system?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rfreak.6591

Rfreak.6591

Honestly… the biggest flaw in GW2 is the reward system.

I’m concerned about this issue because it alone hinders the Whole game experience making it much less enjoyable and more frustrating.

This big problem can be divided in 2 smaller problems:

1-Lower level content also awards lower level items (lower level of value, not actual level…), why is it that my time spent in lower level zones is less valuable than that spent in dungeons? Or mass-farming Orr?

2-RNG, honestly I don’t get it why very smart programmers just smack a drop rate on items instead of having people obtain those in legal/legit/understandable/ungrindy means… If I play a total of 800hrs (obviously not spent AFK) I want to be rewarded as much as someone that has played for a 1/4 of that and got a precursor already (I know about the scavenger hunt being worked on, but this isn’t just about precursors, I’m talking about the Whole reward system).
Is my time much less worthy compared to lucky people?

My solution? I’d rather remove the chests and the drops (except for materials obviously, but might give a thought on that too) and have the right-now-useless achievement points count toward rewards, and I’m not just talking about precursors, titles and stuff like “yak-slayer” with an infinite amount of “fillable bars” that reward the player with X meat at every completition, doesn’t that sound fair? It also helps getting people into lower level areas as much as repopulating event-less areas (the amount of event in an area scales with the number of players in said area, so no players no events).

One more thing, the player wants to “feel safe”, it means that if I’m working to achieve a certain goal, I want to actually be able to see that goal… you know… either way it seems like an endless run that might end bad half-way through…

So… what do you guys think about this matter? And how would you solve it?

(edited by Rfreak.6591)

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

It’s not about the reward, it’s about the """""""""experience"""""""""".
/typicalgw2fanboi

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

/typicalgw2fanboi

What about experiencing the feeling of getting rewarded justly for what you do? Not I this kittening RNG bullkitten.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

/typicalgw2fanboi

I know you were joking but without the Reward the Experience is crap. especially in this game..

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Csele.1647

Csele.1647

most of the people gets above 2000 hours played and are not even half away from getting legendarie.. its too tedious too grindy…. the only “viable” ways to get it its an insane time of grinding and farming.. i never understood how if anet main point is to avoid grinding … one of the most or the most end game item is legendarie.. which is imposible to get.. if you dont grind.. just to get one of those 250 tier 6 you need.. to grind like a week for endless hours to get 250….. and making gold its the same history.. theres no viable way to not grind or farm for legendary unless they designed to make it in a year or more.. because playing “normal” whithout grinding just doing dungeons its like 6 gold.. a day.. playing like 8 hours.. and you need 1750 gold just for materials lol

precursors are a joke… like winning the lottery.. making a viable way to make it would make soo many people happy .. even if its as hard as the one atm.. but just whitout grinding jesus its really not sane

(edited by Csele.1647)

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

@OP

The system is working as intended. RNG is RNG. I’m sorry you don’t get good item drops. Keep playing, and one day you’ll get good drops.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

To me the idea that rewards should be as good in low level zones as they are in high level zones is kind of nonsensical. Low level content is much easier than higher level content, and it’s good to provide some direction to the end game while leaving low level content still playable without being totally trivialized.

I actually thing this component of the game is working relatively well. GW2’s major problem is really just content in general.

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I’d start by removing these RNG boxes for loot in the Laurel/karma vendors. They are a total joke. for T6 mats we need vendors for karma for these items even if their is a daily cap per person that would solve the legendary/crafting issues we have. (people would actually be able to craft a full set of superior runes of the eagle without spending 12-84 gold.)

Give us the ability to make a larger portion of T6 mats from a smaller portion of T5 in the mystic toilet so it’s no longer called the mystic toilet by the playerbase. (50 instead of 250 for 20-35 T6 mats).

Make the rewards from finishing the maps in each zone high level rewards we’re talkin level 80 rares or exotics.

Take out this nonsense DR mess that’s only there to harm the players because the bots stopped doing this a long long time ago (hunting mobs) and switched to gathering T5 T6 mats from gathering nodes.

Remove the restriction to always be in a group to get the guild currency or to get better drops and actually allow magic find scores to function properly (100% should’ve been plenty from the start).

All of these things that seem minor when they add up to be a negative against the players they are collectively the reasons why the rewards system is so broken in this game.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

@OP

The system is working as intended. RNG is RNG. I’m sorry you don’t get good item drops. Keep playing, and one day you’ll get good drops.

That is such nonsense. Really it is. First off RNG doesn’t give people the same exact drops not matter what time of the year doing the same events over and over on either side of the coin (good or bad) like it’s doing now. Second, saying that one day it will happen is just like saying under the killcredit bug one day someone will get credit for a kill. and finally OP if you’re not getting the drops you should I can’t tell you what to do but i’m sure not going to give you false hope.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Another thread on the reward system. Original. The other threads that talked about the reward system weren’t good enough, I guess. And most of the same posters too. Cool.

Actually, I think the reward system could be beefed up a bit…but not too much. Not without taking away the meta event rewards, which people were demanding in large numbers before they were here.

The problem is meta events guarantee you as many as 20 rares a day, with a chance at exotics. That’s quite a lot if you start adding in regular drops

When everyone in a game can get money easily in a way that everyone will, inflation happens and the money you do get is worth less. I’ve seen this happen in some games and it’s not pretty.

Which means those who have been playing a while have tons of money and those who just start playing can never really get enough to get anything. Which is bad for the game.

I know everyone wants good drops. I like lots of good drops too. I just know where that ends up leading in the long term.

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Cristobal.8640

Cristobal.8640

Honestly… the biggest flaw in GW2 is the reward system.

I’m concerned about this issue because it alone hinders the Whole game experience making it much less enjoyable and more frustrating.

This big problem can be divided in 2 smaller problems:

1-Lower level content also awards lower level items (lower level of value, not actual level…), why is it that my time spent in lower level zones is less valuable than that spent in dungeons? Or mass-farming Orr?

2-RNG, honestly I don’t get it why very smart programmers just smack a drop rate on items instead of having people obtain those in legal/legit/understandable/ungrindy means… If I play a total of 800hrs (obviously not spent AFK) I want to be rewarded as much as someone that has played for a 1/4 of that and got a precursor already (I know about the scavenger hunt being worked on, but this isn’t just about precursors, I’m talking about the Whole reward system).

My solution? I’d rather remove the chests and the drops (except for materials obviously, but might give a thought on that too) and have the right-now-useless achievement points count toward rewards, and I’m not just talking about precursors, titles and stuff like “yak-slayer” with an infinite amount of “fillable bars” that reward the player with X meat at every completition, doesn’t that sound fair? It also helps getting people into lower level areas as much as repopulating event-less areas (the amount of event in an area scales with the number of players in said area, so no players no events).

One more thing, the player wants to “feel safe”, it means that if I’m working to achieve a certain goal, I want to actually be able to see that goal… you know… either way it seems like an endless run that might end bad half-way through…

So… what do you guys think about this matter? And how would you solve it?

1.- This shouldn’t be entirely removed, the only way I see it feasible to offer the same rewards on Queensdale than on Orr is that they somehow nerf you enough on Queensdale so you don’t one hit kill all and everything. This would probably be something like blocking 2 of the 3 stats on your gear and blocking all master and grandmaster traits while also downleveling you to the correct level.

2.- I agree with you on this one, however they will not change it; The current setup is the most profitable, as determined by a team of psychopaths and algorithms that probably never played a game on their lives, and they make the rules. And they are of course correct on their observations.

(edited by Cristobal.8640)

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: loquacious.2915

loquacious.2915

@OP

Not true, as you said a “RNG is RNG” meaning you could play 1 hour and get your item, or you could play 10 years and still have the same chance to get your item as you did in hour 1.

The problem I see with the RNG is that it keeps the odds static. I’d like to see it dynamically adjust certain things based on a specified factor. Especially when Anet said their objective with this game was to prevent grinding.

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

That’s only really true for the junk items. After all, you get level appropriate pieces of equipment. And let’s be honest, if you only got level-appropriate materials, you’d end up with everyone farming lower level zones, since those are easier to kill. Not to mention that the amount of lower level materials would keep dwindling.

It’s called “random” for a reason. No such thing as “luck” or “worth” in it.

And then you would end up with people farming at specific locations for Legendary-related materials. No difference from how people farm CoF P1 or Orr right now.

And that’s why most people resort to buying things rather than farming them on their own.

Faulty reward system?

Posted by: Rfreak.6591

Rfreak.6591

@Cristobal.8640

I’d perfectly agree on a nerf on our downscaling (meaning I want to be weaker in those areas) because right now I don’t even feel the difficulty… actually this would/may help for those “timers”-mega bosses that Always reward some loot (what a mistake, and honestly if mega bosses do so why shouldn’t other bosses too, which are usually harder actually).

@Olba.5376

That’s partly right AND false, I didn’t mean to completely overhaul the drop rates, but at least some/most cases you want to see where your activity is going, also you have to take into account there are many different areas where you can do so, the prices would drop (not by much), you’d actually have a choice on what to do, and simply put people would no longer farm mindlessly CoF p1 (or mobs as you are suggesting, because they are already farmed in Orr) because they’d feel rewarded as much while doing something else, and that “something else” HAS to become “anything else”.