Feature pack 9/9: feedback

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Enizoom.5697

Enizoom.5697

My views
Good:

Crafting is excellent now. Very easy to find what you need and organize.
TP update
New backpacks
Because they can evolve with a new character and are not overly expensive (some look wierd on charr but are we surprised? no.)

Introducing dodge tutorial for beginners

Collections and preview of minis etc

Bad
Level gating EVERYTHING
I just unlocked minidungeons on a lvl 40+ character

What the actual F? What is the point of exploring when there is nothing to explore? If this is your fix to PvE (which I thought you were improving quite well) then I will just cry and quit the game when you focus on wvw (I would already quit if I wasnt invested in a new competative guild)

I was really worried about my favourite game before this patch, but I thought since PvE most surely will survive, there will always be that. WvW has been suffering soo much. Veterans keep quitting in bulk and with megaservers, no new content and poor rewards it is really difficult to reqruit new players. But PvE will always remain and be a cool experience.

No. Anet, you just shot the game in the face.
I dont know how else to describe this
You packed all your ideals and great visions that you had for this game and threw it in the dumpster. Why?

I have, through all updates, tried keeping a positive view on the changes. When everyone was whining about Living Story I kept insisting it will get better. We are all learning. And I did enjoy the latest chapters very much. Even through some really wierd profession changes I’ve kept silent. But this is just too much Anet. I need to speak up.

Archeage releases on Friday. I was looking forward to GW2 getting some competition so that it could grow and get even better. Now I just see it being face stomped.

Geezus christ Im so sad.

(edited by Enizoom.5697)

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

lol.. that’s a nice one..

LOL I dunno how some people can defend this type of kitten. They should just get rid of the prologue altogether. It’s freaking useless.

OMG when he was directed to frostgorge I lolled.

Vayne will defend this stuff. Read his posts-he employs logic in a way he thinks the vast majority of casuals think.

Can we block people here on the forums? :/ Scrolling past certain posts is a waste of time imho.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

No matter how you feel about certain posters keep it civil and give feedback in this thread. Better chances of being acknowledged.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Before this update, I would have said level 20/25 would’ve been a better tipping point for unlocking elites, especially if paired with a rework of skill-point costs to ensure players weren’t depriving themselves of utility skills just to unlock them.

As I said on another topic, my lvl19 engineer got bugged and unlocked her full skillbar at lvl20. With some scrolls of knowledge, I got my elite that soon.

What I think? I’ve never had so much fun, I felt like my character was complete sooner than expected, I really love playing a low level character with a skillbar I can finally customize the way I want. I always thought lvl30 was too far to unlock an elite, and to me this bug reinforced my feeling. Luckily I could play as her for now, but my engineer will probably be the last alt I make, the feature pack removed all the fun…

Who knows, if we ever get another feature pack in 6 months, we might be able to unlock everything only at lvl80, so we’ll have only skill one and six to fight the whole time, I can’t wait!

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Well the minipet system is nice but due the the horrendous mega server system no one likes I am no longer able to ever see my minipet. Any map I join the game informs me that their are too many players to use my minipet.

Constant gem store reminders is intrusive, this is not a free to play cash grab game, I paid for everything already! While I am at it displaying minis/outfits I do not own is irritating, please only show what we have obtained thus far.

The dumbing down of leveling and early game content is utterly ridiculous. You have thousands of players playing the game since release and all of them coped fine with the level system and content. You guys at Arena Net really need to organised your priorities, the systems included to not make the early game any better. You have essentially been wasting valuable developer time repairing features that are not broken.

The trading post is not faster and slightly less intuitive, no doubt I will get used to it but as of right now I am not sure why this was worked on because it really does not seem like an improvement right now.

Performance seemed to have taken a nose dive this update, generally lower fps all around even though large battles have less lag.

Achievements as content, in general I dislike achievements I know some people love them. But to me it is nothing more than a pointless system detracting from real gameplay. No doubt it is very easy for Arena Net to create achievements which is why we have so many, but it is in no way a suitable replacement for real gameplay content. The first expansion can not come soon enough in my opinion.

Arena Net, stop using metrics to determine your development decisions it is an exceptionally bad business practice that is only going to lead to a bland simplified game that no one likes. Go with your gut feeling and what seems fun, what happened to the developers that bough us gems like the SAB, the Commando and the much loved War in Kryta to name a few.

Currently I have exceptionally low expectations for Season 2 part 2 and any future feature packs. While I am at it, perhaps you should rename future “feature” packs to Revamp Packs. After all we had achievements, leveling, minis and a trading post already, nothing really new was added, just changed or “improved” upon.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I’m SO happy that I bought a Character slot on the last day of the 10 day sale, and then proceeded to power level my newly created engineer to 80 within 7 days. Leveling now seems like a grind-chore.

Of my 13 character slots, I have 11 level 80’s now. The other two are a 32 level warrior (first character I ever created at head start) which I don’t really play anymore, and a level 22 level warrior that was more of a cosplay character (more of a mobile bank/storage).

I can say that I really do not see myself wanting to create any more characters, as a dumbed down tutorial and gating is not appealing to me at all.

(edited by NoxInfernus.2361)

Posted by: Tadeka.4596

Tadeka.4596

I think it could help some people who are responsible in the requirements and ui department to learn the difference between user experience and usability. usability can kill a game…

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I enjoy playing Guild wars2, but I have to say the new leveling system is just crazy. I dont see why weapon skills are locked behind “Level Up Rewards” it’s not untill level 23 that you unlock all weapon skills, (this is including underwater skills). I don’t see why this change was made, how confusing is it to unlock skills by killing mobs? do we really need a whole level to figuer out how to use weapon skill 2,3,4,5? And do we really need to be level 23 to have all the underwater weapon skills?

As for the level up rewards, I don’t see how half of these are “rewards” level 22 for instance, you get a neck item and a little box saying that neck items now have a chance at dropping. so dose that mean that even drops are locked away behind “level rewards”? most of these so called rewards are nothing more than drip fead information about TP and other things. POI’s/vista/skill points do they really need to be a level up rewards? and as for items that we do get, why can’t they be salvaged? I really dont understand the resion behind the change to the leveling system. everything is now a hand holding tutorial in the first zones of the game. Ive not yet encontered one person who likes the leveling system in game.

The “n00b” arrow, is a handy little tool. I must say I’ve found it quite useful so far.

The collections AP’s. great if your into that sort of thing, not really my thing, but I can see people liking it.

Commander changes. I like it, so glad I only got the one. would hate the thought of lossing a Gold, when I didnt have too.

The crafting back Items. They look very well made, i can tell someone took a lot of time to make them and as they are, they are quite nice, as a back item………. they are horrible. I mean how on earth, or Tyria for that matter would you be able to fight with an Anvil on your back? Or better yet what can only be described as a chest of draws? if these where the designes you kept, I’d hate to see what you guys threw out.

I had high hopes for this patch and held off leveling so I could exsperiance it, I’m now sorry that I did.

So out of 10 id give this patch a 4 out of 10.
Simply because that there are things here that some people will like if they are a collector or AP hound. The reworded TP is good, once you get use to the changes, same go’s for minis and finnishers, nice changes. unfortunetly, the leveling changes and so called “rewards” have made too much of a negative impact on my enjoyment of leveling that I really can’t see my level any more past what I have now.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: GoldenScythe.3157

GoldenScythe.3157

I literally have no words for how horribly they’ve ruined the leveling system. The was one of the (relatively) positive experiences of starting the game or rolling an alt was how organically you were able to access things like weapon skills. It wasn’t perfect earlier, but not it’s completely awful. If I were a new player or someone who wanted to start a new character, I would probably be putting the game down.

For those of you who haven’t seen it, this video demonstrates just how awful this new system truly is.

Seriously, I have to ask, what on earth were they thinking when they implemented this believing it would be an improvement??

Posted by: Siobhan.6027

Siobhan.6027

Seriously, I have to ask, what on earth were they thinking when they implemented this believing it would be an improvement??

That’s just it. They didn’t care to stop and think how this patch would effect the player base. They don’t care about building a fan base that would last them for years to come. This started when they kitten on everything that Guild Wars 1 was and gave us Guild Wars 2. They want to make a quick buck to get them through the day and that’s it. I’ve been trying to look past it, deny it, etc but after two years and this patch, I just can’t anymore.

I can not wait to dance on their grave. It will take a few years for them to get to this point, but its definitely coming.

Posted by: WalkinGoon.2408

WalkinGoon.2408

Before this update, I would have said level 20/25 would’ve been a better tipping point for unlocking elites, especially if paired with a rework of skill-point costs to ensure players weren’t depriving themselves of utility skills just to unlock them.

As I said on another topic, my lvl19 engineer got bugged and unlocked her full skillbar at lvl20. With some scrolls of knowledge, I got my elite that soon.

What I think? I’ve never had so much fun, I felt like my character was complete sooner than expected, I really love playing a low level character with a skillbar I can finally customize the way I want. I always thought lvl30 was too far to unlock an elite, and to me this bug reinforced my feeling. Luckily I could play as her for now, but my engineer will probably be the last alt I make, the feature pack removed all the fun…

As a fellow engi, I can certainly agree with the sentiment. :P

Back when I was starting mine, getting the many weapon kits, gadgets, and elixirs up were the key to being able to enjoy the class. Engineers especially are dependent upon utilities compared to, say, warriors or guardian. I fear these changes will make them feel like even more of a grind to new players, and turn them off from one of the most fun classes to play.

As for alts, I planned to start fresh with a Elementalist for the update, but these changes alongside the trait stuff just make the prospect of starting an alt from level-1 nauseating. Fortunately for me, I have enough experience scrolls and level-tomes to go straight to 40 to unlock my skills, but newcomers don’t have anywhere near that kind of luxury. It sucks knowing that they won’t be able to enjoy the game the way I came to love it when starting out.

Posted by: Sundance.5238

Sundance.5238

My better half started playing Guild Wars 2 Aug 25, 2012 (demo) and I followed in Oct 2012. We’ve spent thousands of hours playing the game and over $2,000 on GEM cards because, up until this point, we’ve enjoyed playing the game.

With the changes made to leveling and down-scaling we will not be spending another dime on this game.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Is in-game email level locked as well?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Just re-read the details of the Feature Patch and I was such an idiot for overlooking the fact that I can disable the default mode for content direction. I still am not fond of the locking of skills until you reach a certain level AND there is still the certain starter quests that I think were less enjoyable, but my original issues seem to have been subsided.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Zeral.8249

Zeral.8249

Ok, so first things first.

Guild Wars 2.

Lets begin with it’s original intentions shall we?
To be a game with more freedom, with more fluid methods of combat.
Not only that, but a game where players will get just as much (if not even more) excitement from playing, they wanted to make it so that you didn’t have a load of skills but a reliable set of skills that wouldn’t leave you feeling lost when looking at the actionbars. The game was released with epic bosses, overwhelming events and exhilarating experiences.

Now, what do I hear? ‘’the game is too overwhelming for new players’’

Listen to me, I am not a new player..but the ones I have seen? they love the game, they still play it. Nobody I have met or seen has made this so called ’’overwhelming’’ comment.
Besides, even if they are right isn’t that what Anet was intending? do they forget the reason this game is standing out?
They might want to reflect on the positive notes of when they released this game.
Even so, on to patch notes.

Me and some Friends on Skype have been talking about this.
1) I thought it was genuinely ridiculous enough as it was having to grind my way to the next story checkpoint, but to hear that I can’t even START it until 10 just takes the cake.
2) Down state being removed until 5? how the hell will THAT help new players? give them a chance???? (Not to mention, that’s not every realistic that just because you’re lower level you instantly die, that’s a great way to put people off the game by making them die faster SOONER)

3) Elite Skills… being 40 now? it’s bad enough that i’ve done so much until 30 without a full skill set, but to extend another 40 levels is really trying to everybodies patience, there’s no logic in these choices Anet, get it together.

4) New AI to LA, Fair enough to that one, you did that one correctly, it was a bit messy before hand, though this one may take some getting used to.

5) I hear that renown hearts aren’t being introduced until later? so are you telling me that you’re TRYING to make the start of the game mega boring or what? how will people learn anything without these dare I say it ’’Necessities’’ at the start of the game?

6) – Genuine overall opinion – Anet, I think it’s fair to say you haven’t made many ’’improvements’’ over time, LA is wrecked (ok so it’s story and it’s slowly making it’s way back) So much has got nerfed, Megaserver issues (being kicked out of world boss fights due to overflow), I can still see bugs left right and centre in events. And it’s normally quite hard to find a genuine improvement since I played on release. I can name a few, but it’s not about that today. With this drawback, it almost feels like you’re ‘’selling out’’ for your customer/fanbase.

Do not forget to stand out. In the politest term, ‘’think twice before acting’’

then again, through evidence I honestly believe you’ll see how this will effect players, as we’re all pretty kitten frustrated.

Yours Truly

Dan (Zeral)

Posted by: FireproofHeretic.3860

FireproofHeretic.3860

You’re too stupid to know how to play.

/Anet Dev

How very witty. Would you care to actually address anything I said, or are you content to just say nothing and feel superior for it?

I think he was “quoting” an Anet Dev. He was giving you a reason for these changes, in the mindset of an Anet Dev.

Oh, I see now. Thanks for explaining, and my apologies to Nevets for the snarky response.

FireproofHeretic.3860

The sad thing is that with nearly 200 posts in such a short period of time, mostly negative, ANet will prob take no action.

Because 200 posts don’t mean that much in the larger scheme of things. And how many of those two hundred posts are by the same 20 people?

You sure have a penchant for exaggeration, don’t you?

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

/Anet Dev

How very witty. Would you care to actually address anything I said, or are you content to just say nothing and feel superior for it?

I think he was “quoting” an Anet Dev. He was giving you a reason for these changes, in the mindset of an Anet Dev.

Oh, I see now. Thanks for explaining, and my apologies to Nevets for the snarky response.

No need to apologize. Sometimes sarcasm/snark are hard to read over the internet. Sorry for accidentally offending you

Cheers!

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

The sad thing is that with nearly 200 posts in such a short period of time, mostly negative, ANet will prob take no action.

Because 200 posts don’t mean that much in the larger scheme of things. And how many of those two hundred posts are by the same 20 people?

You sure have a penchant for exaggeration, don’t you?

He’s used this line every single time anyone complains. Maybe he’s right. After all, if these complaints were really hurting the bottom line Anet would probably take heed. Right?

Posted by: BaergusMaximus.6904

BaergusMaximus.6904

I know it’s maybe a poor way to play, I only play on one character, and only have interest in my one class (Guardian) and virtually saw no change to anything beyond a few skills changes.. I’m unhappy that almost nothing was added to my experience other than that I need to get a lot more items to get more achievements, most of which my character doesn’t even use. I’ll likely not being playing anymore, beyond logging in to collect my LS content so if this game ever does improve, I won’t need to pay gems.

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

People complaining about the new leveling system need to smarten up, it is for new players. MMORPG levelling is supposed to be slow. You shouldnt be hitting the game’s max level in 2 months (i think some could even do it in less). If you are used to the old leveling system especially from leveling multiple characters, you will find the new way of doing things a complete drag. Those who havent played the game before might see it differently.

Its all so $tupid, people complain about quickly getting to end game and then getting bored. Anet responds by adding fractals, WvW tournaments, PvP rewards and other stuff to improve end game, but people still complain. Anet decides to slow down the leveling process so new players can appreciate end game a little more, but somehow the old players still complain.

Some of you need to be smacked and locked in Arah with lupi

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Is in-game email level locked as well?

Gotta be careful, paper can cut you! We will be working with round construction paper and crayons until you are level 50.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

People complaining about the new leveling system need to smarten up, it is for new players. MMORPG levelling is supposed to be slow. You shouldnt be hitting the game’s max level in 2 months (i think some could even do it in less). If you are used to the old leveling system especially from leveling multiple characters, you will find the new way of doing things a complete drag. Those who havent played the game before might see it differently.

Its all so $tupid, people complain about quickly getting to end game and then getting bored. Anet responds by adding fractals, WvW tournaments, PvP rewards and other stuff to improve end game, but people still complain. Anet decides to slow down the leveling process so new players can appreciate end game a little more, but somehow the old players still complain.

It’s not for new players. It’s for 6 year old children that get excited at receiving a gold star from their teacher.

You need to smarten up if you can’t tell they are dumbing it down to ludicrous levels.

Posted by: Evrae Altana.1295

Evrae Altana.1295

alot of crap that nobody wanted
some tweaks were welcome but they put it out like there “look we’re doing something for our people”

if anet doesn’t start thinking clearly this game will be dead soon
this latest “feature” pack has really put me off and i’m quitting until they actually know what they want to do with this game

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Tell that to gw1. I dont pay monthly. If I want slow I can play like some of my friends and you know not level up quickly.

Ah yes by levelling “slowly” appreciate doing the same x dungeons repeatedly/ same world bosses repeatedly. Yes I can see it now. Heck they will love making a new alt too when they hit max level.

Also can still level up at more or less same speed… actually I think the new changes were made for people like you so arguing is useless.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

I think it’s a shame a lot of people can only say negative things about the patch (haven’t read the whole topic but just spent quite some time in game talking about it on map chat). I agree with people who say that some of the restrictions are a bit harsh for older players (locking a good portion of the game until you’re a higher level) but for new players, I guess it gives them time to get used to things so for them, it’s a nice addition. Maybe in a future update Anet could look into reverting some of these limitations for people who’ve been playing for longer (I don’t need the same tutorial bits when I’m starting my 9th character) but overall I think they help make the game more accesible for new players.

I do like the new TP, it looks better, runs smoother and… that’s all I have to say about it, really. I’ll have to get used to the new UI but so far, job well done.

I also like how I can now “equip” a mini. What I don’t like is how when it gets automatically disabled when I get in a busy map, it isn’t automatically enabled again when I enter the next map (or maybe I’ve just been in busy maps all day so far, in that case I haven’t said anything).

I would like for the little compass thing in the upperright corner to point towards personal waypoints, that would be kind of cool. Or maybe when you click it, get a drop down menu of nearby “objects” like waypoints, POI’s, Vistas etc so you have some control over where it points at.

And I love the way I can keep track of my collections now. I can finally easily complete them Which reminds me, I must get that honorary Skritt title. Shinies!

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

OK! I really enjoyed the new game-play. I’m just at lvl 14 but I really enjoyed the trip.

I was really kittened about the Copper-Fed-o-Matic change (and still think is beyond stupid) but, since leveling is obscenely fast, I don’t see too much problem.

Of course, some changes are bad or pointless, other just plain stupid. But there is also many good things, small details/changes/fixes that make me think someone in ArenaNet really care for the game.

And finally, lets be honest. Most complains are from kitten key farmers. If they leave the game I can assure no one is going to miss them.

I haven’t noticed a change with the copper fed salvage-o-matic. What changes are you talking about?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Nunna.6413

Nunna.6413

It is not dumbing down. if you ever play chinese MMO it is all about lvling and omgwtfbbqsauce new skills!!11!1!11!!. we are playing a chinese game now. it’s that simple. soon you will see some chinese recipe too like boiled dolyak fetus on a plate with citrus flavor. crushed jormag tonails with herbs humm good for vitality. etc.

Posted by: kikou.7568

kikou.7568

Just gonna say this Anet u screwed up with this patch!!!!!!

FireproofHeretic.3860

First of all, I think it’s pretty funny that you didn’t include “leveling” as one of the categories in your patch feedback threads, since you totally redid what leveling means. So I’m posting this here because it makes the most sense out of the available options.
I have been playing this game for just over a year now. VERY few mmo’s hold my attention for that long. This was a rare and welcome exception. I liked the combat, I liked the world, I loved the personal story quests.
But this patch makes me so angry, I’m tempted to ignore all of that and play something else. Forever. My biggest complaint is how you’ve changed the levels at which skills are unlocked. Weapon skills unlocking with use made a lot of sense, since anyone will get better with a weapon with mere practice. Now, instead, you unlock skills across ALL weapons, according to your level, no matter what you have equipped. I now have to get to level 10 before all of my skills are usable. And the utility skills are even worse! You have discouraged every player you have from making new characters. Sales on character slots are going to drop really quickly, you watch. You called it being “rewarded” for leveling, but it’s not a reward if we used to just HAVE it.
And then there’s the story quests. This was the big thing that set you apart from other mmo’s: your rich story mode. And now, new players won’t even get to enjoy that until level 20! So before they get to see the most important aspect of your game, they have to GRIND for it. Honestly, what were you thinking? I’ve heard that it did well in China, and that’s how the game was released there. But if that’s true, let me tell you something: They haven’t seen OUR game! They’re not comparing! WE are, and we want it back. I loved this game because it never felt like grinding. I leveled when I crafted, I leveled when I did story missions, I leveled when I gathered, I leveled when I did literally anything. It was so nice to find an mmorpg that didn’t just make me kill the same enemies over and over again to make a little number go up. It never felt monotonous And by adding these level restrictions, you have taken that away.
I may or may not continue playing, but I can say this for certain: I’m not buying any more gems while the game looks like this. You will get no more money from me. I hope that mistakes are learned from, and reversed.

/Anet Dev

I was defending you, not dissing you. I agree with everything you wrote. ANET doesn’t however, hence the “/Anet Dev”

Sorry about that, I misunderstood.

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

Nice, we have another megaserver-like topic which won’t be read/understood by any ANet employee.

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

Good things: miniature & finisher update, guild update, account wide commander tag and crafting UI. Thanks to those people who made these possible.

Bad things: everything else. Especially making game extremely alt-unfriendly. Maybe on the next feature patch the whole game is locked because merely logging in is probably extremely confusing to majority of new players – or at least to the “focus group”.

Strange that none of these things that were made “better” weren’t any kind of issue about two years ago, when game was in closed and open beta test. It is amazing how much new player types can change in two years. It is like a new generation alltogether.

Or maybe I was too dumb to realise how awesome things I was missing, because I didn’t have dodge tutorial, and I could harvest materials at level 2, or that I could get skill points immediately…

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

It’s not for new players. It’s for 6 year old children that get excited at receiving a gold star from their teacher.

You need to smarten up if you can’t tell they are dumbing it down to ludicrous levels.

<face palm> i wont be surprised if Anet doesnt take us seriously with vets still posting things like this. I never mentioned they are not dumbing the game down, i don’t even care about that because i use skill scrolls and knowledge tomes to level my other toons after doing the proper leveling with my main.

It doesnt matter if the update is for 6 year olds, hell even two year olds, as long as new players like it (which Anet specifically says it is for) then you really shouldnt care. In case you don’t realize this is an MMORPG, that means long leveling process, items and skills you are supposed to get over a LONG period of time, things you do over a LONG period of time. You arent supposed to be repeating the leveling process so many times, and if you do it sure as hell won’t be as satisfying as the first time. Those who do, do it to try out a new class at end game and for the personal story, which you can do at level 80 once you use the tomes and scrolls.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

It seems to me that this feature pack is split in three
- class balancing – always mixed feelings across the player base
- UI improvements – crafting, trading post, guild banks, dungeons – all good
- Leveling process – awful

The leveling process was the least advertised and you can understand why. It offers nothing but unhappiness to the player base. It cuts across the original design and leaves an ugly ill-fitting mess. How could anyone decide that this would improve the game and waste resources on something that alienates the player base? The answer is presumably that accountants have decided this is the way to monetize the game. There is no reason for players to like any design decisions based on monetization.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

I think that creating an MMO may be far too confusing for Anet – someone please lock Feature Pack until Anet reaches at least Lv 15 MMO Dev, and build them a tutorial so they don’t get overwhelmed.

Posted by: Ganjar.9265

Ganjar.9265

Personally, I’m kittened off about the whole thing.
Like I said earlier, I like some of the changes but detest the stuff with the story and levelling experience.

The other day, I was considering buying another character slot and maybe some other fun stuff from the store but after all this crap, I’m not feeling very inclined to give ANet any more of my money.

Fix this or you’re going to lose customers. You’re not doing yourself any favours here. Limiting what your players can do and limiting their choices makes the game worse. Don’t become the EA of MMORPGs.
Thanks

Posted by: Rhundan.7829

Rhundan.7829

Okay: I understand that everyone is angry about this, myself included.
That said, I think there are other sides worth considering.

First: What if the tutorial stuff were optional?

Second, what if ANet combined the old system of getting weapon skills and the new one? If you use one weapon enough, like previously, you get more skills, but after level 10 you have all the skills on weapons you’ve never used before.

Third: Downed state should (In my opinion) be fully unlocked as it used to be. That was a pretty bad move. That said, locking the third skill, while really annoying, doesn’t affect the game much. I don’t know about anyone else, but I barely ever use it on non-ranger characters.

Fourth: If you were to make the tutorial optional, (And I cannot stress this enough) Give new characters a choice from the start. That way, vets can go without, people from other MMOs can try the game without the tutorial, and new players who aren’t confident can go through it. DO NOT put the “Disable tutorial” button hidden somewhere in the options menu.

Does anybody else have any suggested fixes for the rather poor changes this patch?

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

It seems to me that this feature pack is split in three
- class balancing – always mixed feelings across the player base
- UI improvements – crafting, trading post, guild banks, dungeons – all good
- Leveling process – awful

The leveling process was the least advertised and you can understand why. It offers nothing but unhappiness to the player base. It cuts across the original design and leaves an ugly ill-fitting mess. How could anyone decide that this would improve the game and waste resources on something that alienates the player base? The answer is presumably that accountants have decided this is the way to monetize the game. There is no reason for players to like any design decisions based on monetization.

The sad part is like many companies, they fell into the foolish hole of going for short term instead of long term profits. Long term profits guarantee your company and products will last for years, and garners good PR that leads to more customers, employees, and profits in the long-term (see Wal-Mart under Sam Walden). Short term however basically guarantees you’re throwing away your company, your products, your PR, etc for some fast cash, not realizing that THIS HURTS YOU IN THE LONG-TERM. You lose valuable customers, you get a bad reputation, and eventually you have to shut down because nobody will buy your stuff.

This is reminder for anybody who works for a company or wishes to make one, DO NOT EVER GO FOR SHORT-TERM PROFITS!

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Many other MMO’s also gate skill acquisition via levels. However, some of those games have more options from the get-go, or at least early on, than GW2 did, and especially than it does now. Other MMO’s use energy or stack-building mechanics to hold player interest in what they’re doing (build up X to allow you to use skill Y). If you look at Wildstar, for instance, the gain of skills in relation to one’s level is not that dissimilar to GW2 as it is now — if you compare 50 levels to 80. However, by the time you leave the WS tutorial at L3 you have a builder, a finisher and a control skill and using all 3 intelligently is actually important. I find either more options, or skill synergy/rotations to be more interesting than neither, and neither is what the new GW2 system offers.

GW2 never offered great complexity (WoW, number of skills) nor much in the way of rotation. Its synergy comes from the use of fields or PBAoE skills to buff or mitigate. The NPE pushes one’s ability to use what little complexity the game offers further back in the leveling process. It made an already dirt simple game even simpler.

Those using the defense, “It’s over quickly.” might want to consider that that is not a ringing endorsement.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: castor.8019

castor.8019

No matter how you feel about certain posters keep it civil and give feedback in this thread. Better chances of being acknowledged.

Better chances of beeing acknowledged? No, better chance of beeing ignored.
Raging at least forces them to tell the community the things they want to hear from time to time… just to forget about it a week later.

pdavis.8031

Better chances of beeing acknowledged? No, better chance of beeing ignored.
Raging at least forces them to tell the community the things they want to hear from time to time… just to forget about it a week later.

In my experience postitive posts, even if critiquing, are generally acknowledged more over QQ whining rage posts. However, this is off topic. I would like to keep this thread available for feedback concerning the 9/9 Feature Pack, and not get it shut down by staying to widely off topic. Thanks.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

BEHOLD! I am hereby the new Hero of Shaemor!! And all it took was my number 1 key

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Wote.3627

Wote.3627

It doesnt matter if the update is for 6 year olds, hell even two year olds, as long as new players like it (which Anet specifically says it is for) then you really shouldnt care. In case you don’t realize this is an MMORPG, that means long leveling process, items and skills you are supposed to get over a LONG period of time, things you do over a LONG period of time. You arent supposed to be repeating the leveling process so many times, and if you do it sure as hell won’t be as satisfying as the first time. Those who do, do it to try out a new class at end game and for the personal story, which you can do at level 80 once you use the tomes and scrolls.

You know, Ragion, if I wanted an MMO experience like other MMOs out there, I’d be playing those other MMOs. “This change makes it more like other titles in the genre” is not a good argument for altering what makes your game stand out. And when your game is the “fastest-selling MMO ever”, you shouldn’t need to make changes like that, because your formula clearly worked well enough to be an advertising talking point for the better part of a year.

The Tyria Wildlife Fund: Having absolutely nothing to do with the Cyborg Moa Incident since 1325 AE.

… Yes, we know that it happened in 1326 AE. We had that little to do with it. We swear.

pdavis.8031

You know, Ragion, if I wanted an MMO experience like other MMOs out there, I’d be playing those other MMOs. “This change makes it more like other titles in the genre” is not a good argument for altering what makes your game stand out. And when your game is the “fastest-selling MMO ever”, you shouldn’t need to make changes like that, because your formula clearly worked well enough to be an advertising talking point for the better part of a year.

I agree. Although I think if this leveling system was optional, or at least we had MUCH more information going into it (the blog was kind of vague) I think there wouldn’t be as much of an outrage. But yeah, conforming because “thats what everyone else does” is ALWAYS a bad a idea, and I feel will come back to bite them in the end.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

Okay: I understand that everyone is angry about this, myself included.
That said, I think there are other sides worth considering.

First: What if the tutorial stuff were optional?

Second, what if ANet combined the old system of getting weapon skills and the new one? If you use one weapon enough, like previously, you get more skills, but after level 10 you have all the skills on weapons you’ve never used before.

Third: Downed state should (In my opinion) be fully unlocked as it used to be. That was a pretty bad move. That said, locking the third skill, while really annoying, doesn’t affect the game much. I don’t know about anyone else, but I barely ever use it on non-ranger characters.

Fourth: If you were to make the tutorial optional, (And I cannot stress this enough) Give new characters a choice from the start. That way, vets can go without, people from other MMOs can try the game without the tutorial, and new players who aren’t confident can go through it. DO NOT put the “Disable tutorial” button hidden somewhere in the options menu.

Does anybody else have any suggested fixes for the rather poor changes this patch?

I like the optional idea. But i think extending the “tutorial” starting sequence, adding in dodging tutorial, weapon skills etc. would have worked much better. Also I don’t mind the unlocking new weapon skills, but it should be done every level, instead of every other level. One level, even done quickly, is more then enough time to get used to the skill.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

Is it true that a baby Ranger cannot name it’s pet?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

It’s too confusing. -LOL

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

It’s too confusing. -LOL

I know right. It made my head spin.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Thia.4891

Thia.4891

Fix the Personal Story. Put the cut content back in and put the story in it’s original order.

(Sigurdas MoonEyes and Ronja) (Myrin Crowneguarde) (Yarza Steelfang) (Luqq) (Nevnia)

Posted by: Taida.4987

Taida.4987

You unlock ability to name, switch and put pet on passive at level 5. You can charm another pet and immediately swap to it when game asks you, but it will go back to your starter if you die below level 5.