in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I’d be all for removing the trifling amount of silver for event success if they raised the karma and set the coin drops from mobs to 1c-5 silver per kill. Why 1c and not 0? Because it’d be nice to regularly get something from killing a mob even if it is just 1 copper. Either that or set the drop rate to be 0-5 silver on a kill and make it slightly more common to get funds from killing a mob. This would make the gold on kill infusion more desirable and the karma infusion nicer to have as well.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

I would, instead, suggest a large subset of rares/skins/etc that only drop randomly from particular events. This would make events – especially major ones – more rewarding. The mini-chests were a good idea. That idea should be expanded. IMO

No, seriously. Enough with the RNG crap. It’s terrible. It makes for annoying farming, because you know you will never be lucky enough to have the thing you actually want drop for you, so you have to rely on the TP. This game is pretty much TP Wars 2, and that’s terrible.

If they introduced that, guess what people would do? No, not farm the event — they would farm CoF and the Champ Farm, so that they’d be able to buy those drops they want off the TP.

If anything, make events give you tokens that you can use to buy stuff. Like khama, except useful, I guess.

Posted by: Jack Angelfoot.2697

Jack Angelfoot.2697

My suggestion? Drop types

Concentrate certain types of drops in different areas. Overland general, events, bosses, and dungeons would each have slightly different median drop types. Thus, people would be attracted to each area: I need new weapons? I go boss hunting. I want new armor? I do events. I want new trinkets and rings? Dungeon.

Thus, people would have incentives to do them all. Of course, the TP would make it so that anyone who wants to avoid any particular area doesn’t have to go.

Just an off-the-cuff thought…

- Jack Angelfoot -

Posted by: Acaro.4067

Acaro.4067

Please Anet, nerf champion money as much as you want but in exchange make events and heart events worth doing them, with this change you would make players play the actual content instead of champion farming all day.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’m glad for the nerf on the champ train. a) You can make far better gold doing other things. b) I personally think this hurts the game because players tell new players this is how you earn money in the game, and they quit after seeing how grindy and boring it is.

I earn 12g+ in under 2 hours in Arah every night. Trust me, the champ train is not a great way to earn money. It is just easy and boring.

Sounds like that is the thing that needs its reward nerfed.

No, the reward is equal to the skill level. When you can kill lupi with a group of five in under a minute then you can earn 12g+ as well. Hitting 1 repeatedly with a group of 40 against some easy champ does not deserve a good reward.

implying dungeons are hard

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

What about those of us who despise dungeon crawling? Now the only real choice is to waste time playing the TP (no thanks), stupid RNG or give up on all long term goals. It burns me that they keep shutting off the taps and trying to pigeonhole everyone into one play style or that we were all handed a precursor from the Karka chest (worst lopsided give away in gaming history). What about those of us that were not handed that bankroll to get started with?

I’m not a fan of champ trains or any trains for that matter so stop creating the need and start making other areas of the game lucrative. It is beginning to feel like the sole motivation is to force everyone into buying gold through gems. If you need the money that bad just add a subscription to the game and maybe then you’ll stop constantly nerfing the fun and profit out of all the game content!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Jack Angelfoot.2697

Jack Angelfoot.2697

I honestly see no point why I oughtn’t get 1 gold for an event lasting 15 minutes if I’m able to get 1 gold within 15 minutes through dungeonrunning. Ofcourse, this has to be balanced out, but there is no argument why it oughtn’t be that way.

The balance is the issue.
It is much easier to zerg an event than to speed run a dungeon.
(There are exceptions to everything, i.e. COF1 vs Teq., but this is a general principle that most people won’t dispute.)
If we get that type of profit, we will see massive inflation.
Nobody wants to see Twilight selling for 26,370 gold in the trading post.

If everyone were getting that type of cash for being at the right event at the right time, it would totally break the economy.

If they want to heal the economy, they could slightly nerf dungeons. That would be painful for a while, but would slowly reduce prices and make events/champs more worthwhile.

- Jack Angelfoot -

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

My suggestion? Drop types

Concentrate certain types of drops in different areas. Overland general, events, bosses, and dungeons would each have slightly different median drop types. Thus, people would be attracted to each area: I need new weapons? I go boss hunting. I want new armor? I do events. I want new trinkets and rings? Dungeon.

Thus, people would have incentives to do them all. Of course, the TP would make it so that anyone who wants to avoid any particular area doesn’t have to go.

Just an off-the-cuff thought…

I don’t like the idea that much becuase I don’t want to chose. Gold is everything since you can buy nearly everything from gold. For my ascended stuff I had to farm worldbosses and temples to get the dragonite ore. While I did this I literally got just 1g per day. Keeping in mind that crafting an acended armor can cost you up to 100g extra if you don’t have all the materials, it really sucked to farm just one type of stuff you need while abandoning 9 other types.

Awbee.8405

What about those of us who despise dungeon crawling? Now the only real choice is to waste time playing the TP (no thanks), stupid RNG or give up on all long term goals. It burns me that they keep shutting off the taps and trying to pigeonhole everyone into one play style or that we were all handed a precursor from the Karka chest (worst lopsided give away in gaming history). What about those of us that were not handed that bankroll to get started with?

I’m not a fan of champ trains or any trains for that matter so stop creating the need and start making other areas of the game lucrative. It is beginning to feel like the sole motivation is to force everyone into buying gold through gems. If you need the money that bad just add a subscription to the game and maybe then you’ll stop constantly nerfing the fun and profit out of all the game content!

I agree, though I wouldn’t put it quite as harshly with regard to the gem selling. However it’s true that those who never had anything significant drop for them and who don’t enjoy hardcore dungoneering or tycooning the TP are pretty bad off.

I’ve often said that I’d gladly pay a subscription fee if it meant free access to transmutation, a free in-game barbershop and much better ways to aquire gold. Maybe that could actually become a thing? Offer a sub model with certain benefits for those who want it, I know I would.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Personally I never found the gold reward from events actually being something worth doing the events for.

In fact, as things are, I don’t really find there’s actually a point to doing any events once I hit 80.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

eh well whatever, i already got 80 on every class and i dont play that much anyhow. guess it wont effect me much.
On to player generated content games.

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

Reducing in-game cumulative gold rewards = more grind = more people will spend money on gems to convert to gold. End of story. That’s what ANET is hoping for.

Awbee.8405

I don’t like the idea that much becuase I don’t want to chose. Gold is everything since you can buy nearly everything from gold. For my ascended stuff I had to farm worldbosses and temples to get the dragonite ore. While I did this I literally got just 1g per day. Keeping in mind that crafting an acended armor can cost you up to 100g extra if you don’t have all the materials, it really sucked to farm just one type of stuff you need while abandoning 9 other types.

Which is why I don’t own ascended armor. I don’t even have exotic armor except for a few dungeon and kharma pieces. None of my characters (8 80’s) have a complete armor set or weapons, not even talking about the looks side here, just the stat side.

Other people are building their 10th legendary. The economy is incredibly lopsided.

HHR LostProphet.4801

I honestly see no point why I oughtn’t get 1 gold for an event lasting 15 minutes if I’m able to get 1 gold within 15 minutes through dungeonrunning. Ofcourse, this has to be balanced out, but there is no argument why it oughtn’t be that way.

The balance is the issue.
It is much easier to zerg an event than to speed run a dungeon.
(There are exceptions to everything, i.e. COF1 vs Teq., but this is a general principle that most people won’t dispute.)
If we get that type of profit, we will see massive inflation.
Nobody wants to see Twilight selling for 26,370 gold in the trading post.

If everyone were getting that type of cash for being at the right event at the right time, it would totally break the economy.

If they want to heal the economy, they could slightly nerf dungeons. That would be painful for a while, but would slowly reduce prices and make events/champs more worthwhile.

And the time is the balance factor. You can get 30-50g if you do ADAP runs (All Dungeons All Paths) all day. But you will sacrifice a hell lot of time. Same with the events. If a zerg need 2 minutes for an event, you get a reward matching your 2 minutes of effort. If you need an hour for one event, you will get a higher reward.
Ofcourse, this shouldn’t be infinite. You shouldn’t do one event for 3 days and get 100g at the end. But it should be worth the time you would spend if you do your best to complete the event. You could also divide the reward if there are too many people doing the same event over and over. So you are forced to search for events who are not overrun by other players.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

I hope they are prepearing for a new loot system t encourage players to play the dungeons/bosses with the motivation that amazing stuff can drop instead of, gold focused mechanics.

The problem is that gold is by FAR the most valuable thing in game. EVERYTHING you could possibly want, you can get with gold. Which in itself wouldn’t be so bad, the bigger problem is: for most things you might want, the ONLY way to get them is by farming gold.

That’s the problem with a reward system that depends almost entirely on RNG. If you get lucky and get a rare RNG drop, you can make a killing on the TP. If you don’t, you will have to grind for weeks and months to be able to buy what you want off the TP. It’s a lottery based system which doesn’t make for enjoyable or rewarding gameplay, sadly.

The nice part of the game though, is that you get Gold for everything. sPVP, WvW, PvE, crafting (if you’re clever with it). There’s little reason for you to grind the same thing over and over again, when you can just play the entirety of the game and make Gold doing it.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Well this certainly wasn’t a ‘feature’ I was expecting.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Dont forget to reduce FOTM drop rates.
The amound of gold you earn on scale 40+ is ridiculous, Almost 2G!

Awbee.8405

The nice part of the game though, is that you get Gold for everything. sPVP, WvW, PvE, crafting (if you’re clever with it). There’s little reason for you to grind the same thing over and over again, when you can just play the entirety of the game and make Gold doing it.

Doesn’t seem to work for me. I have around 500 gold that I’m holding onto for dear life in case a permanent self-style hair kit decides to drop again at some point. That’s the one thing I want most in the game, more than 20 legendaries.

And I’ve played since beta. I level alts, do map completion, do events in Orr and Frostgorge, do Living Story events, and occasionally do dungeons. Barely spent anything ever except for 3 pieces of Sylvari Tier 3 medium because I just had to have it. And yet I only have 500 gold.

HHR LostProphet.4801

I hope they are prepearing for a new loot system t encourage players to play the dungeons/bosses with the motivation that amazing stuff can drop instead of, gold focused mechanics.

The problem is that gold is by FAR the most valuable thing in game. EVERYTHING you could possibly want, you can get with gold. Which in itself wouldn’t be so bad, the bigger problem is: for most things you might want, the ONLY way to get them is by farming gold.

That’s the problem with a reward system that depends almost entirely on RNG. If you get lucky and get a rare RNG drop, you can make a killing on the TP. If you don’t, you will have to grind for weeks and months to be able to buy what you want off the TP. It’s a lottery based system which doesn’t make for enjoyable or rewarding gameplay, sadly.

You are playing the game I would like to have. You get gold for everything, yes. But for the most part, it’s abysmal low and not worth the effort.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Champ bags gave silver?
but seriously- It is really not a good idea to nerf loot form events.

I am probably the only person who runs events for fun

- what you needed to do was give unique items, crafting materials, skills and skins for running events.
Not nerf them- why?
Armour repairs ?
that is nothing- give people a reason to play in your world kitten!

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Daxxter.8920

Daxxter.8920

Maybe if they removed WP cost this would equal out but for now it juste sucks…

Posted by: Jokubas.4265

Jokubas.4265

I’m happy to see repair costs removed (though removing waypoint costs may have been the better choice, and I’d still like to see it regardless). Nerfing ways of getting money to “compensate” for the removal of a gold sink is a really bad idea though, especially the specific sources they’re nerfing.

You want gold sinks because you want your economy to be balanced. Sure, there are always going to be outliers, but you want most people to be able to participate in the game and feel like they’re making progress, or they’re not going to be having fun and they’re going to quit.

The problem is, these particular sources of money were for the more casual players, otherwise known as the people who weren’t outliers to begin with. They’re not just the players who don’t need gold sinks, but taking money from them and not the outliers is only going to make the economy worse.

I’m an extremely casual Guild Wars 2 player. Gold is not a normal currency for me, Silver is (I have gold, but so little that it’s more like a way to simplify my silver than it is another denomination). I hop in every once and awhile, do the new stuff, and that’s pretty much it. The Marionette event cost me more money than it gave me. Removing repair costs will help that… but removing money sources at the same time will still leave me with no money to buy anything with.

The problem ultimately boils down to the fact that, as long as gold is a renewable resource, you can’t make a real economy out of it. Most MMOs don’t seem to realize that, but hop into any one and you’ll see how impenetrable they are if you’re not an established, hardcore player. Gold sinks are a terrible bandage as it is, because the people you really want them to affect (established farmers or traders) are nearly impossible to target specifically, so all they usually do is hurt the new/casual player more and are irrelevant to the people sitting on the piles of money.

It’s the reason so many MMOs nowadays use dungeon and reputation-specific “badges” and stuff for anything meaningful. It’s impossible to keep the main progression fair and balanced when the economy is controlled by a handful of people at the currency cap.

What Guild Wars 2 really needs to do is give up on the idea of gold as a serious currency. Make it easy enough to earn to afford the little things you still use it for (like waypoint costs or something), and then find other ways to gate progression in a way that’s fair both for new players and players who have been playing the whole time and been getting lucky with rare drops and compensation giveaways.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Dont forget to reduce FOTM drop rates.
The amound of gold you earn on scale 40+ is ridiculous, Almost 2G!

I think FotM is a whole different issue. I think we need different, unique rewards for different content, otherwise there’s the inevitable issue of one piece of content giving better rewards than everything else.

FotM gives relics as well as gold. The way to go is to make relics more useful rather than balance its gold income.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Awbee.8405

[/quote]

I agree, though I wouldn’t put it quite as harshly with regard to the gem selling. However it’s true that those who never had anything significant drop for them and who don’t enjoy hardcore dungoneering or tycooning the TP are pretty bad off.

I’ve often said that I’d gladly pay a subscription fee if it meant free access to transmutation, a free in-game barbershop and much better ways to aquire gold. Maybe that could actually become a thing? Offer a sub model with certain benefits for those who want it, I know I would.

[/quote]

I agree that it was harsh, honestly I feel like the game I followed throughout it’s creation, beta tested, bought and have loved for a year is slowly being eroded into a cash cow as more and more of the development is geared towards money making. I get that it has to happen, I do and I’ve spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars between my wife and I this past year in support of the growth of the game but now it seems that solid content is beginning to suffer too much.
I feel like every time I log in, if I don’t do the events for a chance at an extra yellow to salvage for silver I fall further and further behind on any chance of getting a legendary or ascended or any other long term goal item I’ve set. This is becoming a massive copper pinching effort on behalf of the monetization group and the quality of my game play is suffering for it at every level.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

(edited by Vlad Morbius.1759)

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

I also think nerf’ing events rewards is the wrong direction to go. I understand the nerf to champ loot box gold; since it is over and beyond event rewards in the first place (for less time/effort). Event rewards are good for only a few of reasons which induces: finishing a renown heart faster, some decent consumables, un-contesting a dungeon, and precursor to meta event(s). Even the karma gain has been nerfed to be nil and void. While I see they are making sprawling changes to make things more rewarding for alts and taking out other gold sinks. I doubt even then people would be farming smaller events for anything then what have mentioned before.

Sometimes even with certain events like un-contesting CoE there is always a problem, Where 1-2 people will work on the entire meta event up until the champion shows up. Then a few more people actually show up for the kill. Usually people will get into CoE by looking on what server is already un-contested, and then guest to that particular server. It actually drives me up the wall, because I will be that one person who actually opens CoE by doing the event as a whole. However I can see why people don’t do these events because they complain it’s due to the fact it’s unrewarding to do so.

While it seems two gold sinks have been removed (armor repairs & trait resets) there is still the waypoint costs. Including the cost of scaling of it by level and distance. Believe it or not there is people who will literally ignore certain events that are called out in map chat, because those events are already less rewarding if you waypoint to that location. It also keep people from exploring to witness a good majority of these in game events. Since more productive time can be spent anywhere else within the game for better rewards.

In the end I know they are working on a better reward system. I also hope they are still working to improve the scaling system for some of these events. As well as making the dynamic event system feel more ever-changing by implementing some interesting RNG triggers into them. However in my own personal opinion dynamic event rewards should not be touched, until they are overhauled to make them more engaging/rewarding.

Awbee.8405

I’m happy to see repair costs removed (though removing waypoint costs may have been the better choice, and I’d still like to see it regardless). Nerfing ways of getting money to “compensate” for the removal of a gold sink is a really bad idea though, especially the specific sources they’re nerfing.

You want gold sinks because you want your economy to be balanced. Sure, there are always going to be outliers, but you want most people to be able to participate in the game and feel like they’re making progress, or they’re not going to be having fun and they’re going to quit.

The problem is, these particular sources of money were for the more casual players, otherwise known as the people who weren’t outliers to begin with. They’re not just the players who don’t need gold sinks, but taking money from them and not the outliers is only going to make the economy worse.

I’m an extremely casual Guild Wars 2 player. Gold is not a normal currency for me, Silver is (I have gold, but so little that it’s more like a way to simplify my silver than it is another denomination). I hop in every once and awhile, do the new stuff, and that’s pretty much it. The Marionette event cost me more money than it gave me. Removing repair costs will help that… but removing money sources at the same time will still leave me with no money to buy anything with.

The problem ultimately boils down to the fact that, as long as gold is a renewable resource, you can’t make a real economy out of it. Most MMOs don’t seem to realize that, but hop into any one and you’ll see how impenetrable they are if you’re not an established, hardcore player. Gold sinks are a terrible bandage as it is, because the people you really want them to affect (established farmers or traders) are nearly impossible to target specifically, so all they usually do is hurt the new/casual player more and are irrelevant to the people sitting on the piles of money.

It’s the reason so many MMOs nowadays use dungeon and reputation-specific “badges” and stuff for anything meaningful. It’s impossible to keep the main progression fair and balanced when the economy is controlled by a handful of people at the currency cap.

What Guild Wars 2 really needs to do is give up on the idea of gold as a serious currency. Make it easy enough to earn to afford the little things you still use it for (like waypoint costs or something), and then find other ways to gate progression in a way that’s fair both for new players and players who have been playing the whole time and been getting lucky with rare drops and compensation giveaways.

I agree with everythin you said. (Except that I have a bit more gold, but I’m also cheap and barely ever spent any, and I did some farming during the Queen’s Gauntlet and Scarlet invasions and gathered a few hundred gold that way.)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Well this certainly wasn’t a ‘feature’ I was expecting.

It wouldn’t be a true ‘features’ update if they didn’t nerf ingame loot…

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

So let’s see… the logic behind reducing the event money was in part the removal of repair costs and the cost to re-trait. Let’s take a look at those costs for a second.
*Retraiting: Costs 3s50c at level 80. Amount of times it’s used? Once a year to once a few days depending on the player. Effort to regain cost of service? Sell a handful of blues or a couple greens to an npc merchant (or TP if they’re valuable enough). Time to get said items? As little as 2 minutes.

*Armor repair: Costs 1s64c per damaged piece at level 80. I dont have the time or patience to see what broken armor costs. Since there’s 7 pieces of armor you can wear (backpiece), this comes out to 11s48c for a full set of damaged armor. This cost, just like that of retraiting, is beyond negligible.

Lowering the reward from events is a stupid move. If they wanted to increase the amount of gold taken out of the economy, at a 0.5% increase to trade post fees, increase waypoint costs based on distance, lower npc values by a fraction for selling items, STOP LETTING MOBS DROP JUNK ITEMS. The list is endless.

I mean, let’s face it, if I went to ANY event with a large number of mob spawns, I can easily reach 1-2g off the random low grade crap that drops, and with luck on the excessively high side, I can be dropping exotics worth 2-8g alone. This isnt even touching on the money I can make SALVAGING rare quality and lower items.

Oh, and I rarely see enough money from the event itself to warrant caring about. So why reduce something that is already pitiful enough most players dont even give them a second glance?

Awbee.8405

I agree that it was harsh, honestly I feel like the game I followed throughout it’s creation, beta tested, bought and have loved for a year is slowly being eroded into a cash cow as more and more of the development is geared towards money making. I get that it has to happen, I do and I’ve spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars between my wife and I this past year in support of the growth of the game but now it seems that solid content is beginning to suffer too much.
I feel like every time I log in, if I don’t do the events for a chance at an extra yellow to salvage for silver I fall further and further behind on any chance of getting a legendary or ascended or any other long term goal item I’ve set. This is becoming a massive copper pinching effort on behalf of the monetization group and the quality of my game play is suffering for it at every level.

I think the biggest problem honestly is RNG. It completely rules the game, and that is abysmal.

How many players would gladly buy any of the cool weapon skins like Jade skins, Zodiac skins, in the gem store, for 300-600 gems? SO many people would. So many people would spend their money on that, which would make both them and arena.net happy.

Instead, we have this absolutely terrible model of playing lottery with real life money. Most of it is blown away for nothing, leaving those who choose to spend money on it angry and sad (and probably severely frustrated and more willing to walk away from the game). If you’re exceptionally lucky though, you get one of the rare skins and can make a killing off it on the TP.

This system is so much worse in terms of player friendliness that I barely have words to describe it. It increases the demand to be SUPER RICH so that you will be able to buy one of those cool weapons, thus increasing the demand to go farm champions like crazy.

I can hardly imagine this RNG system being that more profitable than directly and honestly selling the weapons through the store. And if it is, then that additional profit comes from luring players into gambling their cash away. How is that in any way, under any point of view, acceptable?

Posted by: GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

They should have done this instead:
- Increase rewards for completing events (more karma and a bit more silvers maybe). Maybe add champion bags or something at the end of an event chain in addition to standard reward?
- Add new specific loot per map (new skin for each map (i.e. Fireheart drops new flame weapons and Caledon drops new Sylvari-themed weapons), specific map crafting mats, etc.) to split up people and make lower maps worth farming. I kind of like that Charged are mostly found in CoE while Onyx are found in TA (need more of specific loots).
- Increase interesting mobs loot (more loot bags, more T6 drops, add core/lodestone as drop, etc.)
- Reduce dungeon gold reward (while increasing mobs worthwhile drops)
- Increases uses of undervalued mats (such as Glacial and Crystal Lodestone) via new weapon skin recipes.

Overall, remove the need to farm gold and give us more INTERESTING loots so we go out there in the world and stop farming dungeons non-stop!!!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Just keep in mind that the change is for everyone.

If they reduce income fro grindy repetitive behavior, those previously buying stuff from the trading post with what they earned doing that will not be able to afford as much, and thus prices will go down for all.

Still, that’s irrelevant to the point “and spread out player activity a bit.”

To spread people, you have to give people reasons to go to different places and do different things.

Right now people earn the most in champion trains and speed runs in dungeons and fractals.

Fractals are fine as they are naturally random. They need some tweaking, but there’s no problems there mostly.

But with trains people stick to 4-5 champions, and with dungeons people stick to 1-5 daily paths they find the easiest and fastest.

If they truly wanted to spread people around they would:

- Limit daily rewards from individual champions so people have to look for other champions, much like you can’t mine a node twice or open a puzzle chest twice.
- Either increase dungeon cap from daily to weekly so people have to do multiple dungeons, or introduce something like the GW1 storybooks, giving worthwhile bonus after doing all paths again (e.g: a repeatable version of Dugeon Master that gives +5 AP and a bonus loot bag with some gold, karma, drops and two of an item that lets you pick a sack of 250 of any token like with Scarlet’s token pickers. It would have an AP cap that would increase by 5 every 3 months or so so you can’t earn more AP if you do way to more, but can also keep wrowing).
- Introduce a system of daily bounties to encourage people to visit different spots and do different sorts of stuff (it could even replace hearts). Daily achievements are not enough if people can just go do the easiest and fastest events and kill the weakest enemies to get them done faster. With bounties, you could let people do different things in different areas, and when they are done with all bounties in an area they move to the next, and when have done all bounties in all areas, their bounties reset and get nice rewards.
- And add underflow worlds so people in less populated worlds do not end up alone in maps all the time and stops traveling altogether.

We still have to see the “encourage friendly play” changes, tough.

Maybe there will be something like that. We’ll see.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

The Revenant.4970

You are playing the game I would like to have. You get gold for everything, yes. But for the most part, it’s abysmal low and not worth the effort.

I play the game to have fun, not for a job. If you guys really are wanting some kind of extravagant return, I recommend doing something in real life that will get you it because a video game is not supposed to satisfy every little thing in your life.

HHR LostProphet.4801

I play the game to have fun, not for a job. If you guys really are wanting some kind of extravagant return, I recommend doing something in real life that will get you it because a video game is not supposed to satisfy every little thing in your life.

Lol. Getting rewards is the very reason for MMO’s to exist. Get gear to be better. That’s all about it. You get no bonus if you get some friends in to complete events, you don’t get a bonus for helping all the npc’s. All you get is gold. And all you can do with gold is buying gear to “impress” other players. If you want to play for fun, you can also buy a WII. But that’s not what I want. It’s not like I don’t want to play with friends or just to have fun. But at acertain point this game gets boring if the devs don’t deliver an appropriate reason for you to keep playing.

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Champ trains are a pox on the game.

Sure, I join them for easy daily and monthly completions and then I’m out, but outside of that, it is a mind numbing and frankly sad experience.

Waypointing around in a circle pressing auto attack once, then F to loot, against the same 5-6 champions.

The problem with the champ loot itself, is that it generates new gold straight into your inventory, as well as items. There is no cap on the ‘new money’, unlike dungeons, and with a lot of people doing this brain melting ‘content’, the more inflation comes into play.

But here’s where it evens out:
- Account bound dyes (don’t need to buy more)
- Account bound skin locker (no more destroying gear)
- No repair cost
- Account bound ascended/legendary

These things alone will keep more money in the players pocket so it is only fair to alter some of the ‘content’ that generates ‘new money’.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

The Revenant.4970

Lol. Getting rewards is the very reason for MMO’s to exist. Get gear to be better. That’s all about it. You get no bonus if you get some friends in to complete events, you don’t get a bonus for helping all the npc’s. All you get is gold. And all you can do with gold is buying gear to “impress” other players. If you want to play for fun, you can also buy a WII. But that’s not what I want.

If those are your sole reasons, then it sounds like you have some inadequacies that you need to address before you can get better.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Dynamic event rewards are already abysmal. I can see even less people doing them now.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

IMO, they want you to BUY GEMS with RLM and convert to gold to make IGM, very sad we can’t make and obtain gold/items/mats just by playing the game, so sad.

Totally farcical statement. It is beyond easy to make money in this game. You should state your real opinion: You personally are not getting as much money as you want to get.

You are correct, I do have trouble making money in this game and has been this way for me since release and I am POSITIVE I am not the only one, but, my first reply still stands.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

Lol. Getting rewards is the very reason for MMO’s to exist. Get gear to be better. That’s all about it. You get no bonus if you get some friends in to complete events, you don’t get a bonus for helping all the npc’s. All you get is gold. And all you can do with gold is buying gear to “impress” other players. If you want to play for fun, you can also buy a WII. But that’s not what I want.

If those are your sole reasons, then it sounds like you have some inadequacies that you need to address before you can get better.

Why do people, for the most part, log in? Is it because the game is thrilling or does the game has gorgeous graphics? None of those. It’s pretty good but that’s no long-term goal. If you want the players to keep playing your game, you have to keep them satisfied. The graphics and the gameplay are a good start, but the game has to deliver more than that to keep it’s players. I have played this game for one and a half year now and neither graphics nor gameplay keep me playing GW, it’s the reward I get. And the reward is pretty low. So if ArenaNet wants to keep me as player, they have to deliver some proper rewards or stories (which they failed up until now). You may have fun playing this game. But when the graphics and the gamplay become ordinary and the story isn’t satisfying anymore, the game has to convince with other qualities.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Reducing event rewards makes no sense and saying that it’s to balance against free armour repairs and trait respecs makes even less.

You can easily spend days without being killed so armour repairs are not a factor there (I very rarely have to repair because of open world PVE events) and I rarely spend the 3.60 it takes to retrait.

I hope this nerf is very, very minor because if it’s as severe as the karma nerf it’s just another reason to not bother with events I don’t know what they mean by “spread out player activity a bit” as apart from events and champ trains there are no real compelling activities in open world PVE.

The Revenant.4970

Why do people, for the most part, log in? Is it because the game is thrilling or does the game has gorgeous graphics? None of those. It’s pretty good but that’s no long-term goal. If you want the players to keep playing your game, you have to keep them satisfied. The graphics and the gameplay are a good start, but the game has to deliver more than that to keep it’s players. I have played this game now for one and a half year now and neither graphics nor gameplay keep me playing GW, it’s the reward I get. And the reward is pretty low. So if ArenaNet wants to keep me as player, they have to deliver some proper rewards or stories (which they failed up until now). You may have fun playing this game. But when the graphics and the gamplay become ordinary and the story isn’t satisfying anymore, the game has to convince with other qualities.

The whole “brand new sword” carrot on a stick tactic just doesn’t cut it anymore. It’s why everyone kittenes about Diablo and everyone kittens about whatever MMO they are currently playing. It’s not 2001 anymore, there are too many good games out there to tie yourself to one, grinding the same crap over and over, in order to get a marginally better sword. You all say that’s what you want, but yet all I see is kittening in all the games that provide that type of carrot.

GW2 at least provides new stories and experiences to play through, through the Living Story.

(edited by The Revenant.4970)

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

I’m still not going to play dungeons and fractals while it is all about to either rush them and stack in a corner or spend hours killing hit point bags that drop no reward.

The entire armor breaking system could just be removed these days and nerfing the overall rewards of dynamic events just because of champion trains in certain areas are popular seems silly.

Just reduce the rewards in those areas.

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Why do people, for the most part, log in? Is it because the game is thrilling or does the game has gorgeous graphics? None of those. It’s pretty good but that’s no long-term goal. If you want the players to keep playing your game, you have to keep them satisfied. The graphics and the gameplay are a good start, but the game has to deliver more than that to keep it’s players. I have played this game now for one and a half year now and neither graphics nor gameplay keep me playing GW, it’s the reward I get. And the reward is pretty low. So if ArenaNet wants to keep me as player, they have to deliver some proper rewards or stories (which they failed up until now). You may have fun playing this game. But when the graphics and the gamplay become ordinary and the story isn’t satisfying anymore, the game has to convince with other qualities.

The whole “brand new sword” carrot on a stick tactic just doesn’t cut it anymore. It’s why everyone kittenes about Diablo and everyone kittens about whatever MMO they are currently playing. It’s not 2001 anymore, there are too many good games out there to tie yourself to one, grinding the same crap over and over, in order to get a marginally better sword. You all say that’s what you want, but yet all I see is kittening in all the games that provide that type of carrot.

GW2 at least gives new stories and experiences to play through, through the Living Story.

You do realize you just explained GW2 also – right?

A player just logged into the game after a year of absence – How exactly has the game evolved since then beyond farming for skins, farming for money and farming for marginally and I mean MARGINALLY better gear?

This game is almost identical to release. So if you have done 1 character map exploration and story which most have done by now – what exactly is left to do?

Oh wait – that’s right – grinding the same crap here as in other games…….

Pot meet kettle.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

The Revenant.4970

GW2 at least gives new stories and experiences to play through, through the Living Story.

A player just logged into the game after a year of absence – How exactly has the game evolved since then beyond farming for skins, farming for money and farming for marginally and I mean MARGINALLY better gear?

This game is almost identical to release. So if you have done 1 character map exploration and story which most have done by now – what exactly is left to do?

Pot meet kettle.

“GW2 at least gives new stories and experiences to play through, through the Living Story.”

Let’s see if you continue ignoring that statement.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

reducing gold income from events and champion loots will not stop the farming.

Trains don’t exist for raw gold income, they exist to find that sweet loot that sells high on the TP.

So what you are really doing is hurting players who do events and explore.

You basically just increased the grind factor. Players do not change unless you completely remove the reward or gate it. Why not only allow one champ loot box per day per account per champion???? That would definitely spread the player base…

It wouldn’t, as some people already only log in to do dailies and maybe some champ farming, if they gated that, people would log in do dailies, kill 1 round of champs and log out, or hell they may just not log in at all, they haven’t gotten the rewards right since launch of this game, and im willing to bet that gold wont be the only thing removed from champ chests, watch the T6 mats disappear too.

Azreell.1568

Revenant,

New experiences ?

Farming the Knights and Scarlet for AP and chests with about the worst writing I have seen in an mmorpg you consider interesting?

Each living story was nothing more then a farm or zerg farm for AP/loot.

The only ignorance is yours thinking that GW2 is not based off the same systems other games are. It’s just as grindy if not much more so .

The one place I will give Anet credit is in the last living story rewards. They at least felt appropriate.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Yujin.1785

Yujin.1785

Champ trains should have been nerfed a long time ago, seriously. I don’t agree on the nerf on the dynamic events though.

Wonder if this will have a significant effect against gold inflation.

Azreell.1568

Champ trains should have been nerfed a long time ago, seriously. I don’t agree on the nerf on the dynamic events though.

I disagree with this 100%.

Anet just removed something MANY players enjoyed or at least wanted to do.

With no new content on the horizon anytime soon – I think this was a very bad idea and even worse timing.

It seems apparent that Anet is trying to slow down all aspects of the game not just DPS. That’s wonderful and all but making things take longer does not replace giving them something to do.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

HHR LostProphet.4801

Pot meet kettle.

“GW2 at least gives new stories and experiences to play through, through the Living Story.”

Let’s see if you continue ignoring that statement.

The living story was crap. It’s neither permanent, nor fast enough. We had 2 weeks to rescue civilians. The story was just there to give a reason for the new content they added (which was also bad). If you want to see how thrilling a story should be, play Final Fantasy for example. That is both good story and good story telling for the most part.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

They were already nerfed a long time ago.

Some patches ago they reduced the amount of coin from the champ bags you get.

As for gold inflation I doubt it, the real farmers don’t run the champ trains anymore, FSG probably gives you no more than 1g pure an hour now, probably less on a lot of occasions.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

This was the one thing that raised my eyebrows a bit, but when you think about it..increasing the gold wouldn’t encourage more events, it would just mean ppl would farm one particular event or a small set of repeating events.

My main concern is new players – events can be the main source of income until they start getting into the dungeons and TP selling etc. They are the ones who could be hit by this if at all.

(edited by Randulf.7614)