Feedback Integrity Deserves Design Integrity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

I want to know how “normal play” and 15,000 candy corn for a bag, 20,000 for a miniature are related beyond “Most of you are serfs working in the fields for your Trading Post betters”…

Really? I have not yet checked out the price for the bag but I was hoping to get one. But is it really 15k candy corns?!? I’ve spent four hours in the labyrinth and have accumulated fewer than 200 candy corns. How can that bag be obtained in any way other than grinding short of buying candy corns? According to my calculations, grinding out 15k candy corns would take on the order of 300 hours or 12.5 entire days.

1. Sell your candy corn.
2. Buy a 20-slot bag from the Trading Post.
3. There is no step 3.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I want to know how “normal play” and 15,000 candy corn for a bag, 20,000 for a miniature are related beyond “Most of you are serfs working in the fields for your Trading Post betters”…

Really? I have not yet checked out the price for the bag but I was hoping to get one. But is it really 15k candy corns?!? I’ve spent four hours in the labyrinth and have accumulated fewer than 200 candy corns. How can that bag be obtained in any way other than grinding short of buying candy corns? According to my calculations, grinding out 15k candy corns would take on the order of 300 hours or 12.5 entire days.

1. Sell your candy corn.
3. There is no step 3.

I guess I will lay off the labyrinth now and other related things. Thanks.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

You have to understand that the forums are an extreme minority of the player-base. If I had to pull a number out of my kitten , the forums would probably be less than 1% of the player-base.

More like less than 0.01%.

Assuming an active population of about 2 million players, a huge hot topic that receives 200 posts by separate people (4-5 forum pages) represents 0.01% of those two millions.

I believe there’s an active population of 400,000 though, not 2 million.

Ok then, less than 0.05%. Not better

Although I’m skeptical about those 400k.

Whatever the numbers, I think we can agree that forum posters represent a very small percentage of active players. However … that doesn’t make it statistically irrelevant (Nielson ratings are based upon an even smaller, albeit more random, sample size) and more importantly that small percentage of the total probably represents a much larger percentage of those players who are passionate about the game … i.e., the ones who would actually prefer to stay here instead of jumping to the next MMO in a desperate attempt to find something better.

I’d like to additionally point out that one of the strongest recommendations from forum posters that surfaced in the collaborative development thread was for ANet to hold in-game polls on key issues. In other words, many of us here in the “vocal minority” are perfectly willing to accept the vote of the majority as long as ANet actually listens and responds to SOMEBODY.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

1. Sell your candy corn.
3. There is no step 3.

lol — “there is no step 3”

I’ve been in the labyrinth for 5 hours maybe and have roughly 500 corns. I thought that was pretty good as far as corn gathering goes.

You can use “overflow” to your advantage. After you farm all the nodes in the labyrinth, log out then back in (F12). Chances are you’ll be in a new overflow and therefore have access to unharvested nodes. I expect this to be less viable as time goes on and there are few overflow instances due to less player participation.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

timmyf.1490

1) It’s not sample size that matters with forums, it’s selection bias.
2) ArenaNet shouldn’t have to put anything to a vote or “listen” to anybody. They should, perhaps. And they do, sometimes. But the demands I’ve seen (not necessarily by you, Cactus, so please don’t take this personally) are ridiculous.
3) Nielsen sucks and consistently misrepresents viewership. It’s a joke that advertisers take it seriously.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

1. Sell your candy corn.
3. There is no step 3.

lol — “there is no step 3”

I’ve been in the labyrinth for 5 hours maybe and have roughly 500 corns. I thought that was pretty good as far as corn gathering goes.

You can use “overflow” to your advantage. After you farm all the nodes in the labyrinth, log out then back in (F12). Chances are you’ll be in a new overflow and therefore have access to unharvested nodes. I expect this to be less viable as time goes on and there are few overflow instances due to less player participation.

Hmm. I guess my corn gathering skills are sub-par or else I just like doing things in there that are less conducive to corn generation. Still, taking advantage of the overflow system seems a little like cheating to me.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Overflow mechanics have been in place since the beginning. If it was a concern, or a violation, I expect that ANet would have prioritized it at some point previously. They have taken action for some overflow items (like the high-dive in LA through the fire ring for prizes!). However they’ve never addressed overflow node farming.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

3) Nielsen sucks and consistently misrepresents viewership. It’s a joke that advertisers take it seriously.

Could you elaborate on this, maybe via PN? Interested Marketing major here
(I think it’s due to easily available and established market research sources, btw.)

@topic: It can easily be acknowledged that even the forums are not consistent on what ‘Design Integrity’ means. Also, only politely (or at least decently) voiced feedback really deserves to be taken into account, IMO.

Polka will never die

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

the mythical argument by most who claim to be the righteous right when it comes to the forum posts, saying that there is no grind and that nothing is necessary, when in fact it is necessary because they haven’t done enough to make these items which do impose imbalance useable only in the mediums for which they were honestly supposed to be used in originally, I’m speaking of course of ascended gear being used solely in fractals and not in WvW or PVE open world, should stop right here and now. It’s been proven time and time again that even the slightest improvement in stats = gear treadmill in the making and it = an unfair advantage to those who had plenty of time to spend grinding whereas others may not due to their RL time constraints.

Secondly, I agree that there is no longer a place for RNG in mmo’s because it’s been 14 or so years since the first mmos have taken notice to the fans of gaming everywhere and it’s simply time to move on from old constructs which is what this game was supposed to be all about in the first place.

Finally yes it’s true the the enormous amount of candycorn needed for any sort of reward is counter intuitive to their claims about the design of the game because it was supposed to be about playing the game normally not spending hours collecting items to buy or build something. I agree OP.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

1) It’s not sample size that matters with forums, it’s selection bias.
2) ArenaNet shouldn’t have to put anything to a vote or “listen” to anybody. They should, perhaps. And they do, sometimes. But the demands I’ve seen (not necessarily by you, Cactus, so please don’t take this personally) are ridiculous.

Actually, ANet pretty much does have to listen to its customers. Any company who doesn’t do that dies. I agree that many of the complaints and suggestions are ridiculous (not mine, of course) but there have been some very common sentiments expressed in the forums over the past year without the slightest acknowledgement, response, or action from ANet … and the recent outreach initiatives seem to indicate that they finally recognize their peril. Angry customers make for very bad publicity that is very hard to explain to the board of directors.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

timmyf.1490

But ask yourself: are the customers really angry? If ArenaNet is telling the truth about its numbers, the game’s population is growing and the gem store is pulling in enough money to run the game. That doesn’t sound like a company that’s doing everything wrong.

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

Ascended gear, skins, minis and fluff stuff are for people who want that extra goal. They are not required.

I take issue with this statement…not at you so pls don’t take this the wrong way….but I have seen this argument always thrown out there when its about this topic.

That is because all those that you have mentioned are something essential to an mmo. So in actuality, they are required. Fluff has been part of mmo culture since probably its inception.

Its akin to saying you do not need air conditioning and a radio in your car.

And you don’t. Our car has neither because both are not necessary to drive from A to B. I have a smartphone with an app which warns me if there is a traffic jam, though.

You also overlook that you can get a lot of “fluff” in game. So it is not like a car without radio but it is like a car without a special kind of radio.
I take issue with your reply…

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound by saying a car needs neither? If that’s the hard line you are going to take in regards to this, I see no reason to entertain your silly argument.

Also, by “a lot” of fluff….you mean the extreme limited selection of anything noteworthy right? This includes in-game and cash shop fluff. I’m not gonna bother to post my thoughts on this again. Read my responses above, or not, I don’t care. I shouldn’t even be responding to you as your reply is complete flame bait. I bit…sue me.

I will leave you with one last line so you might take the trouble to think it through.

“Ignorance is bliss”

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

I think that you should stop and strongly consider what you’re about to say any time you are about to speak on behalf of the entire playerbase.

A lot of people play Guild Wars 2 and they have a diverse set of opinions.

I can only speak for what I’ve seen with my friends and my guild, but none of us seem terribly upset about Ascended gear. Some folks have it. Others are working toward it. Others have no interest in obtaining it. Nobody has quit the game over it. Nobody feels betrayed by ArenaNet.

I honestly wish we would just let the Manifesto go and have a discussion about where GW2 is and where it should go from here. Constantly referring back to a years-old video and evaluating whether the game strictly confines to the ideas presented there is silly.

I couldn’t have said it better.

There’s a nothing wrong with requesting changes and finding some things annoying or wanting.

It is unproductive and silly to whine about the perceived differences between some very old manifesto and what the game is now.

GW2 is a good game. Not perfect, but nothing ever is.

Posted by: Caramel Ham.4891

Caramel Ham.4891

Its akin to saying you do not need air conditioning and a radio in your car.

Bad analogy, you prove his point.

A car doesn’t go faster or consume less by having or not having AC/radio.
They are flavor things you don’t need to have; I had a car without AC/radio from 18 to 20 and now I have one with them, I’m not going any faster just manage to have fresher good times during summer hot days.

There is something called standards in life. As life goes on, standards for living rise. If you cannot understand that, then I cannot argue with someone who doesn’t get it.

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

You have to understand that the forums are an extreme minority of the player-base. If I had to pull a number out of my kitten , the forums would probably be less than 1% of the player-base.

More like less than 0.01%.

Assuming an active population of about 2 million players, a huge hot topic that receives 200 posts by separate people (4-5 forum pages) represents 0.01% of those two millions.

I believe there’s an active population of 400,000 though, not 2 million.

Actually it’s 2.5 million with a concurrency of 460,000 (concurrency is the number of players logged in at the same time).

That concurrency was at launch. Concurrency figures drop for all MMOs after launch. I would be shocked if GW2 had concurrency right now over 100k. We don’t know how many active players GW2 has. It could be 100k or 3 million, without data from developers we are all making numbers up.

(edited by Xcom.1926)

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Whether or not the vocal minority exists in the forums or not, the fact remains that the forum is where the feedback comes from. Saying feedback here doesn’t matter because it’s only a small sample of the population is invalid, especially when the development team is literally asking for our feedback here as we speak, in the thread above this one.

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

I don’t think I’m speaking on behalf of the entire player base, I’m taking examples that are used every day in the forums. And like another poster said, we will either agree or not – all feedback is subjective, but they still ask for it. That’s how collaboration works.

Also, you’re missing the point as Far as the bag is concerned. Rewards should be obtainable by playing the game at a casual pace. Playing the game to get a reward that is specific to this event should be totally possible for people with limited play time without having to go outside of the event and use other methods to acquire it. I don’t think buying candy from the auction house is an acceptable alternative for those that want to gain the rewards by participating in the content, and at current rates, it is unlikely that a casual player will achieve that.

That argument holds no merit. The “vocal minority” can represent the majority of the player base. We don’t know what the answer is either way, so to dismiss it as such is complete nonsense.

My opinion as a player can reflect the opinion of the large % of the player base. Or it cannot. So unless people have proof one way or anything. To deny or diminish feedback based on those criteria is stupid.

Generally, the if the “silent majority” don’t like things in the game they silently quit.