[Feedback] Latest Black Lion Chest changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheWhiteWolves.3076

TheWhiteWolves.3076

Bringing this across from where I posted it on reddit (Link)

I’m going to start by saying that generally I am happy with the changes Anet make and their direction, however this latest change with the black lion chest is very annoying and has started to make me doubt what they are doing.

Now don’t get me wrong I am fine with most of the changes, removal of boosters, etc. The thing I do not agree with is the inclusion of the new glider behind an RNG paywall, this has made something that would usually cost me 400-700 gems (depending on whether it is a backpack combo or not, which I am happy to pay for and support them) into something that cost me over 6000 gems just to get the glider once (not even the other stuff I got from the chests offsets this as it was all just trash items, not even any of the rare stuff).

To me this just looks like a shameless money grab by Anet and makes me worry for what they are going to pull next, I feel that this event has severely damaged their reputation and especially made me sceptical about future changes and additions they will make.

I am not a hardcore player or tbh particularity good at the game either so I don’t have thousands of gold to spend on converting gold to gems, the most I’ve ever had is the 200g I currently have and that’s only due to the halloween events and being able to get ToT bags from the labyrinth to sell, aside from this I’ve pretty much always been below 100g so that means I have to spend my actual money which I don’t have a lot of but do because of the enjoyment I get from the game, but to now have had to dip into saved money to get this glider instead of being able to use a little of the money I do have each month, I feel that something needs to be re-evaluated and for the sake of your reputation alone please don’t turn into another mmo that just destroys its player base with meaningless money grabs like this.

If you’ve got this far thanks for reading, I just wanted to put my thoughts out there and hope Anet takes note of them.

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

I mean for existing players who know how the RNG works….its not really anything new. And for new players that fall for it…..its not really any greater shock than if they fell for it in the previous builds.
But Its like anet wants to rub our faces in it though now that black lion chests can’t be deleted without typing the kittening name out…..LIKE WHAT THE KITTEN!?!?
secret messages “don’t delete these, you must sell them and watch as nobody buys them so they come back across ur bl selling screen and they eventually find their way back into ur inventory. you must save them and use them since they take up space and thats not goooooooood cause u have to spend money to get more space. so buy our keys and fall for this goldsink. oh you know its a goldsink? well then, enjoy seeeing ur inventory floooded with chests you cannot open WHAHHAHAHHAH”

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Minus point for locking up 1 slot for certain item of no worth.

Trick or treat bag as guaranteed drop while taking away 1 slot out of 3 during halloween!?!?

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I mean for existing players who know how the RNG works….its not really anything new. And for new players that fall for it…..its not really any greater shock than if they fell for it in the previous builds.
But Its like anet wants to rub our faces in it though now that black lion chests can’t be deleted without typing the kittening name out…..LIKE WHAT THE KITTEN!?!?
secret messages “don’t delete these, you must sell them and watch as nobody buys them so they come back across ur bl selling screen and they eventually find their way back into ur inventory. you must save them and use them since they take up space and thats not goooooooood cause u have to spend money to get more space. so buy our keys and fall for this goldsink. oh you know its a goldsink? well then, enjoy seeeing ur inventory floooded with chests you cannot open WHAHHAHAHHAH”

Yes annoying, but as a workaround you can ping the name on your chat line (don’t send it to chat so others can see, just to the line where you type). Copy paste it on the item delete line, remove the brackets and hit delete.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I appreciate that ANet added something of real value to the Black Lion boxes, even if they’re still pitiful RNG. $1.56 for a random account unlock, if that were guaranteed, I’d be cashing in on a few keys per month. Probably, anyway. I’m a lot more likely to do it now than I was before the change.

But the ToT bag is a …not quite a slap in the face, but it’s really underwhelming. For what keys are worth, 20 bags would still barely sell for a gold on the trading post or just give more useless holiday items. So why one bag?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

It’s not just the ToT bag that bothers me, the other thing is the guaranteed convenience item that always appears right next to the bag in slot 2 of the chest.

Chests are now possibly something that doesn’t suck completely in slot 3 and a chance at a 4th slot with a rare drop. The first 2 slots will always be unappealing now.

Previously, the drop slots weren’t as rigidly guaranteed to drop specific classes of items like they are now. I regularly looted 2 ticket fragments from a single chest before this change. That’s no longer possible now.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Now don’t get me wrong I am fine with most of the changes, removal of boosters, etc. The thing I do not agree with is the inclusion of the new glider behind an RNG paywall, this has made something that would usually cost me 400-700 gems (depending on whether it is a backpack combo or not, which I am happy to pay for and support them) into something that cost me over 6000 gems just to get the glider once (not even the other stuff I got from the chests offsets this as it was all just trash items, not even any of the rare stuff).

To me this just looks like a shameless money grab by Anet and makes me worry for what they are going to pull next, I feel that this event has severely damaged their reputation and especially made me sceptical about future changes and additions they will make.

This is approaching Rift’s horrible, horrible lockboxes that have become the only way to get items that once you could get in-game (or buy outright after the game went f2p and the store was introduced). There used to be cool items you could get as (rare) drops during certain events. Then Rift went f2p, and lockboxes were introduced at some point. They slowly pulled the cool rewards you could get as loot, replacing them with items you had to purchase lockboxes for, for a minuscule chance at the item. Rift got a real bad rep for doing this. They really put the “predatory” in “predatory gambling”. I hate to see GW2 headed in this awful direction, as it is likely to drive me from the game, just as I was driven from Rift for such terrible decisions.

(edited by Nikal.4921)

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

The only gripe I have is, regarding the Wardrobe Unlock. The Royal Guard outfit should be removed. That’s all.

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Using 1 slot for tot is very bad imo
When Halloween finish will be used for wintersday gift…
I want chests to give me 3 random items, not 2 random and a item that i can get hundreds and hundreds very easily

That’s my only problem with the chests

EDIT: also hate i need to type the name to delete the chests, i delete chests all the time and now will be annoying to have to type

[DIE] Death is Energy

(edited by Ze Dos Cavalos.6132)

Posted by: Tken.1986

Tken.1986

Using 1 slot for tot is very bad imo
also hate i need to type the name to delete the chests, i delete chests all the time and now will be annoying to have to type

While people are all over the trashes inside that Black Lion Chest aka rng box, all I know is that now I have to waste time to type Black Lion Chest to delete the thing that keeps clogging my inventory space for no reason.

I don’t care about rng box. Black Lion Chest is a worthless item that are not valuable in any way. Supply of that thing will never be lower than the demand. Whoever made this idiotic change, I hate you.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Typing it in is definitely annoying, and not just for the chest.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Typing it in is definitely annoying, and not just for the chest.

It’s not much, but at that point, it’s easier to open the trading post and sell it instead of pitching it. 20c, which is laughable, but also an indication of how well keys aren’t selling. (Or that boxes are still dropping too much.)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Sylum.1806

Sylum.1806

I’m supportive of a slot for a seasonal item like a ToT Bag. But ONE bag per chest? This is a Gem Store item. People pay real money for this, and for a slot to be used for an item a player can get as a common drop, this is an incredibly poor show of judgment.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

One feature I enjoy is that BL Ticket scraps and Wardrobe Unlocks are now common drops. Pretty nice.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

it’s not the first time that skins are locked in blacklion chests, it happened with weapons before that are now acquirable through tickets.
also if you think 20c for instant sell is low ou should now that before they were sold for 2c. infact everytime i got too much of those i instant sell and be suprised how much people is willing to pay for this

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Firefly.5982

Firefly.5982

Yeah. I REALLY want that glider. I would have bought it right away with real money not even bothering with gold conversion had it been available straight up.

Now it is also limited time on top of BL Chest exclusive, forcing everyone who wants it to pay up NOW or forever miss out. Amazing. It’s been a while since I hated GW2. This has done it. NEVER AGAIN will I purchase gems with real money. Not because I can’t afford it. Because the RNG is SO disgustingly greedy it makes me sick.

I used 40 keys and did not get the glider. I paid for 20 keys with real money. I feel stupid for having fallen for it thinking at least the chances would be fair and 20 bucks would surely get me the glider.

This game gets no more money from me. So disappointing.

Posted by: inactivehyperaddict.6759

inactivehyperaddict.6759

bl chest are an absolute disappointment too imo, call it a money grab or whatever it is that you feel like calling it, felt really tricked. I really thought that the item automatic wardrobe unlock was made so that you can choose any skin/of the item that you want especially those that are no longer obtainable in game. that’s why you can preview the choices you can make but lo and behold it’s hidden in another BS RNG crap that would give you an even crappier drop of item. I think this update should be removed case tbh id be more than willing to return back all the items i got from this recent BSchest so i could get back the gems i’ve spent really Miniature drop? and really endless batwing? how worthless can it even get…absolute disappointment. it would’ve been better if they just sold it just like the outfits and such but RNG behind an RNG rip off, deceit, and really crappy.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

Yeah. I REALLY want that glider. I would have bought it right away with real money not even bothering with gold conversion had it been available straight up.

Now it is also limited time on top of BL Chest exclusive, forcing everyone who wants it to pay up NOW or forever miss out. Amazing. It’s been a while since I hated GW2. This has done it. NEVER AGAIN will I purchase gems with real money. Not because I can’t afford it. Because the RNG is SO disgustingly greedy it makes me sick.

I used 40 keys and did not get the glider. I paid for 20 keys with real money. I feel stupid for having fallen for it thinking at least the chances would be fair and 20 bucks would surely get me the glider.

This game gets no more money from me. So disappointing.

I don’t know how many players posted in the Rift forums about spending $100 and more on lockboxes and still didn’t get the big ticket item they wanted so badly. They were all gutted. But Trion didn’t care about the remorse and regret, they got their money. It would horrify me for people to leave a game I was responsible for feeling so bitter and used. This type of gamble box may not be illegal, but it’s immoral in my opinion, predatory gambling. It makes me sad to see these types of posts cropping up here in the GW2 forum.

Posted by: Bearer of Burden.4621

Bearer of Burden.4621

Getting Phatom Glider when i don’t have HoT feels like a kick in the kittens

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

Most people here; the lion chest is just full of trash nobody needs AND i need that one glider skin, why has something as valuable only in there?

Yeah, i don’t see a contradiction in here…