in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Allelya.6830

Allelya.6830

For background, I’m a casual/completionist type of gamer. I have played numerous MMOs (ones that were PvE driven and even ones that were PvP driven) for many years, so I have a nice bit of experience to base my opinion/feedback on with GW2. I never played GW1, so I won’t be comparing anything to it. All of this is specifically GW2 related.

Topic: Leveling
Leveling is fundamental to this game. There is so much to explore and do and that to me is a very positive aspect of the game. With the rich, colorful details in graphics, animations of characters who actually use their weapons (i.e. staves don’t just hang on your back!) and the immersive lore you have created, to me this game is top notch.

However, you began this game with player levels ending at 80. That’s a lot of levels to get through, especially since dungeons aren’t available to us until at least 30-35. With the implementation of the new leveling system, I have to say it’s not a good change. Not to me anyway. It’s not any faster to level 15. I feel like too much is being gated away from me.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for “right of passage” content, but if too much is being gated, I’ll lose interest and not want to bother. Especially if it was purposely set to require I either suffer to it or pay real life cash for gems/gold to get to it (ie gold to level crafting to level my char)

Story:
I don’t like that my personal story is withheld till level 10. It was better at level 3. You get to experience right away how much of a hero you are. One of the biggest parts of this game is the story, be it personal or living. We already can’t do the living part till 80, so why keep personal away from us til 10?

Traits:
I also don’t like that traits are now gated AND not available till level 30. I like the gating of them behind a certain mob kill completion with the option to buy now with gold. However, I think it’d be better if they were still available at level 10/11. With leveling being as slow as it is, I feel like it’s forever before I get my first trait. I don’t feel like I’m working towards anything.

To me, this game is casual. I can leave at any time and I won’t be “behind” in anything. I can pick up where I left off and be right with other players. I have noticed that RNG has become even more RNG and less loot is dropping. I used to get a lot of trash and things to salvage but now it feels like it’s been cut down by more than half.

A gaming company that maintains a F2P game has to make money, I get that, I really do. But if too many things about the game are gated behind buying gems/gold, then I (and I’m sure numerous others) will not want to play and won’t spend any money on the game.

Many say that ArenaNet doesn’t really listen to players; some websites other than these forums are rampant with players not happy with ArenaNet and the changes to GW2. I hope maybe my post will be read and taken into consideration.

I apologize in advance if some of you do not agree with me. That is why this is MY feedback.

Delvien – d/d Elementalist – Gates of Madness

Allelya.6830

Here’s another way I just thought of to put it. If you made leveling faster, more rewarding, I WOULD pay real life cash to get gems for more character slots because I am an altaholic!

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

I have been following the threads related to the new system…although I have not posted before now because all of my characters were higher level. So, last night I decided to “give it a shot” just to see for myself. I started with the idea that the changes were largely targeted mostly to"new players" rather than veteran players starting new alts. I realize this creates a bit of a disconnect since I have been around since the first beta weekend…but I tried to mentally transport myself back to when I first “stepped into the world.” That said, I did come away with perhaps a slightly different take.

First, I did find that…or at least it seemed to me…that leveling 1-15 was much faster than before. I did not use any boosts at all. I did a starting zone (Wayfarer Foothills) and my personal story at level 10 and was level 17 when I graduated to Snowden Drifts. I admit I did a few vistas, WPs, and POIs in Hoelbrak as I came across them but did not go out of my way to get any. That seems pretty fast compared to pre-patch experiences.

Second, I found, with the gating of abilities, that I focused a lot more attention on the abilities I had. Yes…I had to spam “1” for a level but after that, I carefully considered each new skill I received and, most importantly, I made a use of them as I got them because I was not inundated with new abilities all at one time. Now…this is where I am likely to concede that these changes, while great for a brand new player, may not be to the liking of a veteran starting a new alt. But…from my recollections of being new, this seemed much better paced to me and I did not in any way feel “kitten.”

New mapping stuff…I really do like. I had not really noticed on my high level characters but when starting the new guy…the stuff was really helpful…again, trying to look through the eyes of a new player.

I was generally okay with waiting until level 10 for the PS. Again…as a brand new player, there is a lot to absorb and my perspective is that waiting until level 10 brought that new piece of the game at just about the right time. I did all of the level ten chapter in one sitting…and found it slightly challenging at times (not overly so) and fun. I also concede that, for a veteran player…this may not come across as well.

So, these are just a few of my observations…based solely on my own opinions and preferences. Clearly…others will disagree and that is fine. At least now I have given it a shot and can at least relate to what everyone is saying.

Allelya.6830

“inundated with new abilities all at one time. "

You have 5 main abilities and other are unlocked every 10 levels or so. That’s not being inundated. Try playing games like World of Warcraft where you have so much ability bloat you can’t tell if you’re coming or going.

The other 5 abilities are passives or cooldowns to be used at your leisure. They did it right with the abilities in this game and I for one like having them at my disposal at a low level.

(edited by Allelya.6830)

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

My opinion…nothing more….nothing less. I find that my five weapon skills unlocked by 10 with my utility skills coming later worked okay for me. As I said…perhaps not others.

And, yes, I “tried playing World of Warcraft”…for seven years…raiding, dungeons, etc. But even WoW does not start you out with that bloat. In fact, in the first ten levels you have typically only two or three truly useful, active skills.

My point was that…for a truly new player, it was more helpful to me (my opinion…my preferences) to get my skills and abilities at a slower pace than perhaps others might. I learn them better…and appreciate them more.

As I said, though…others will feel differently and that is fine.

Allelya.6830

I would like to revise my original post here on the new 1-15 leveling experience. I have leveled three characters in two zones to level 15+ now, with personal story to see the changes.

For human zone, it doesn’t appear any faster.
Original version: I’m just into level 4 before I hit the level 5 Heart area.
New version: I’m maybe halfway through level 4 when I hit the level 5 Heart area. Needs to be bumped up a bit.

For Sylvari and Asuran zones, much faster.
The Hearts and layout is much more simplified, which is a good thing. Heart completion and even Personal Story are more guided; as someone who likes things more linear than not, I like this. I actually felt like I was helping out the people of the area, rather than just doing stuff to get the heart filled. The hearts filled faster which is a very nice change, imo.

I wouldn’t have removed nodes or collection tool vendors, nor Trading Post vendors. Since farming nodes contributes to experience, they should have that option available to them at level 1 so they can see the benefit. When they’ve collected a lot of stuff, maybe guide them to a Trading Post window to buy more bags.

I would like to see more encouragement to new players to level their characters traditionally by completing hearts/zones. Crafting makes things fast, yes but you don’t learn much that way about your class. Weapon skills, traits, combo fields- all that needs to be learned as you level, one step at a time.

I like the new simplified, guided version and would like to see it implemented to other zones past level 15. I also like that the leveling is faster (more exp) and I think that should be implemented too. I still think traits should be brought back to level 10/11, if but a little at a time.

Allelya.6830

Something I forgot to add yesterday is about the Heart completions. When you’re in an area, it can be hard to tell where the area is that you need for the heart. Someone on Reddit said it best:

“Improve the questing system. I have been playing since beta, and have leveled countless characters to max level, and I still get confused when completing Hearts. I am constantly in and out of the area i’m supposed to be completing the quest in. It seems logical to kill Bandits at the Bandit Camp, but wait! This camp where 90% of the bandits are isn’t in the designated area. Add a border around where we are supposed to be completing quests. You want to help new players and veterans alike, this is a complaint I have heard from both parties for two years now.”

So make some shaded area on the mini-map that shows us where the objective is for the Heart. Too many times, I’ve killed what was seemingly for the Heart completion only to realize I was JUST OUTSIDE the area to get credit for it.