in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Khyber.4769

Khyber.4769

I am experiencing the same issue as the two users above. Enabling mobile authentication will cause me to disconnect with error 7 every 10-30 minutes. Disabling the authenticator allowed me to play for hours without a problem.
Hopefully this can be fixed, I do feel more secure when using this form of authentication.

Posted by: Simi Acheron.8031

Simi Acheron.8031

I am also experiencing the same issue as the people above. Since installing the mobile authenticator I keep getting d/c every 30 mins or so. I am going to disable the authenticator to see if that solves the problem as mentioned in the post above.

Also, is there a way that you can save your “home” IP address so that you don’t have to use the authentication every time you log into the game. I liked the idea of the email authentication because you only had use it when you were logging in from a new IP address.

Posted by: fefner.5729

fefner.5729

Yep, keep being disconnected now very annoying please fix it.

Posted by: scree.2061

scree.2061

I was getting DCd every 20 minutes or so, the only thing that changed was adding the google 2-way authenticator. To be honest the whole process was pretty annoying. You shouldn’t require it on a machine that just logged in. I’d allow relogins from the same IP to reduce the number of times necessary to enter the authentication code.

Then again, if I hadn’t been getting dc’d so often it probably wouldn’t have become a major annoyance.

After removing the authentication from my account i suffered no further disconnect problems.

p.s: thank god for no WvW queues last night.

Posted by: revial.2938

revial.2938

I think it’s great you used google’s authenticator. Probably a pipe dream, but would love to see it standardized so I didn’t have to have so many different authenticator apps. You’ve done your part. Now all the other MMOs I’m using apps for need to do theirs!

Also, worked fine, with no hiccups.

(edited by revial.2938)

Posted by: GoddessHrist.8472

GoddessHrist.8472

Same as above, I’m getting random disconnects when using the mobile authenticator. Disabling it fixed the problem.

Posted by: Roland Dragonne.7384

Roland Dragonne.7384

Same disconnect problem… and same solution. Seems authenticator is causing E7 disconnects.

Posted by: Khyber.4769

Khyber.4769

October 24th update: “Fixed an issue causing players with linked mobile authenticators to be regularly disconnected from the game”
Great news, thanks for that. I’ll give it a try again!

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Since I added the authenticator this morning, I get d/c every 20 mins or so. There is a thread on this with many other ppl reporting the same problem. Please fix this or at least allow back email authentication while it gets fixed.

Yes, this was annoying! Especially as you have to enter the code again every single time… But it sounds like it was fixed while I was asleep, so I’ll see tonight again.

Posted by: DizzyDoo.8957

DizzyDoo.8957

I am also getting the same issue. Seems to disconnect every 30 mins on the dot. At 1:00 and 1:30, etc…

Posted by: Lwd.1264

Lwd.1264

First of all, thank you. It’s really great, that you listened to people suggestions and implanted such feature . But I hope you’ll get rid off application based code receiving:
1. As an example: I don’t (and won’t) have such phone that can run applications, because many of us need it just for calling. Buying expensive phones few times in a year(breaks, stealing, loss) just for game account security isn’t great idea.
2. Any soft based security features can be surpassed by good hackers.

P.S. Check how it’s done in google Atm it’s my only way to secure account. Today someone tried to access my mail, gw related I believe:

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:08:22 AM GMT
IP Address: 119.183.170.185

All my answers are not official or something , I just have great experience ;)

Posted by: Algoran.4860

Algoran.4860

Just trying to add this to my account, and Im getting Invalid Barcode when I scan the code. Tried several times with different codes, and then tried manual input, and still the same problem, and suggestions?

Posted by: Andromeda the Swift.1628

Andromeda the Swift.1628

issue seems resolved for me, had many dc’s yesterday. Now i have played over 2 hours and no dc whatsoever…good job…again .

Little whiny remark though…i find it a tad annoying that i have to click the authentication code field when i start the game. would be perfect to have focus on this field right away ( which seems logical ) so i can blindly type in the code and be off

Posted by: CarlSpackler.2789

CarlSpackler.2789

This was disconnecting me yesterday evening once I disabled it I was fine..was kicking me about every 10 15 minutes…waiting for an official we fixed it patch note or forum note to reenable Authenticator

Posted by: MLieBennett.9031

MLieBennett.9031

Thank you for the fix!

I’ve re-enabled my Authenticator, and haven’t been kicked from GW2 anymore.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN’T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
- (Death, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Posted by: Feydiir.2609

Feydiir.2609

Patch done on evening of Oct 24 broke authenticator again .. worked great after “fix” then the last most recent patch regressed it.

Late 2012 iMac – 3.4 GHz i7 – 16 GB – GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB – OSX 10.11

Posted by: linuxpng.7849

linuxpng.7849

I’m glad you set this up, but I can’t help feel like it should at least be branded with something from Arena net.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

But I hope you’ll get rid off application based code receiving:
1. As an example: I don’t (and won’t) have such phone that can run applications, because many of us need it just for calling. Buying expensive phones few times in a year(breaks, stealing, loss) just for game account security isn’t great idea.
2. Any soft based security features can be surpassed by good hackers.

You don’t have to use your phone, you can use any program that supports TOTP as specified in RFC 6238. If you don’t run the tool on the same PC you play on, this already is way more secure. If you don’t like software at all, there’s also an increasing number of hardware tokens that comply. The cheapest would probably be a Yubikey, which is then somewhere between a software and a true hardware approach in terms of security since it also requires a client software due to the lack of a battery backed clock (http://yubico.com/totp).

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: KeikoTerada.1963

KeikoTerada.1963

Oh! Thanks for posting that Iruwen – it’s a bit more pricey than I’d like, but I’d rather use that than gauth4win – then my secret key would not exist on my PC. I might invest in one of those.

Posted by: Ratto.1572

Ratto.1572

Just a question

How can i remove (unlink) this to my account?

- ULTIMATE LEGION / SOR -
Human – Thief | Norn – Warrior | Asura – Elementalist

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

The problem that I was having with this is that on every single login attempt, I would have to re authorize from my phone, has this been fixed? Once the security key is sent to the phone, your computer should save this key so it does not have to be entered again unless a different computer is used. Also, I play GW2 from 2 locations at different times, so hopefully I would not have to repeat this on either machine once the codes were set.
If I had more reliable cell reception, all this would not bother me.

Posted by: Loperdos.7924

Loperdos.7924

Been using the Mobile Authenticator since it was enabled for GW2 and have not had any issues with it. Works like a charm, and gives a better sense of security.

I also very much appreciate that when I attempt to log into the website with my account that it also asks for the authenticator number as well.

PvE is where I be. PvP is uninteresting to me.
Meet my dagger, sword, pistol and shortbow, all my very good friends. Make their acquaintance.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

I request an automatic selection of the authentication field here and I was told to put it here, so lazily, here’s a link to my request: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Automatic-selection-of-authenticator-field

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Zalifer.6140

Zalifer.6140

Working fine. Google auth seems fine. Happy days.

UNTIL!

The auth field does not have focus. That’s my only issue so far.

Also, what happens if my phone, and therefore, my secret get destroyed. I hope there is a way to recover the account in a reasonable time frame.

Posted by: igraczech.3154

igraczech.3154

Does not work for me, and i dont know why. Code scan went well, i wrote the digits from my mobile and then pressed next. But it did not go to the next page.

Posted by: marcvanwake.7305

marcvanwake.7305

working like a charm. using google-auth-app with QR-code scanning. everything working like it should. no disconnects, no interrupts. thanks for that!

one suggestion: please make the auth-code-field in the client already selected with the cursor when getting to that window. it’s really annoying not to be able to start typing the code immediately. we always have to click in the field first. it’s a really small bug, i know but it’s making the package complete!

thanks for your hard work!

KeikoTerada.1963

You don’t have to use your phone, you can use any program that supports TOTP as specified in RFC 6238. If you don’t run the tool on the same PC you play on, this already is way more secure. If you don’t like software at all, there’s also an increasing number of hardware tokens that comply. The cheapest would probably be a Yubikey, which is then somewhere between a software and a true hardware approach in terms of security since it also requires a client software due to the lack of a battery backed clock (http://yubico.com/totp).

Thanks to this ^ I am now using a Yubikey (USB key) to log into GW2 and these forums.

I used their Yubikey “personalisation” tool to put my secret key into the Yubikey. The key has to be converted to HEX first – they provide a spreadsheet for this, but if you don’t have Excel you can use any online Base32 to Hex convertor.
To configure the hardware key:

• Go to the “Challenge-Response” section in the personalisation tool.
  • Click “HMAC-SHA1”
  • Select which of the Yubikey’s two available “slots” you want to use. (Best to pick “2”, because the key might have been supplied with a preconfigured Slot1 that grants you access to certain online services)
  • The important section is the HMAC-SHA1 parameters
  • Put your secret key (converted to HEX)… into the “secret key” field – it will pad out the field with trailing zeroes. Make sure you didn’t accidentally leave any leading zeroes!
  • I chose “Variable input” and NOT “require user input (button press)”
  • Click “Write configuration”, and that’s the physical key setup finished.

To use the Yubikey to log into GW2 (or anything else TOTP), the Yubikey helper application YubiTOTP.exe needs to be running and configured (I have it in my Start menu “Startup” folder, so it’s always running).
To configure the helper app:

• Right-click the icon in the system tray and select “Show configuration window”:
  • Select “Use TOTP”
  • Select “Use Config 1” or “Use Config 2” depending on which slot you put your secret key into (see above)
  • Select “6 digit TOTP”
  • Leave “Use token identifier” unticked
  • Leave “append CR” unticked (even if you tick it, you’ll still have to click “Submit” or manually press enter in GW2)

Once the above setup stuff is done, logging into GW2 is quick and easy ongoing:

• Plug your Yubikey into a USB port
  • Make sure YubiTOTP is running (icon is in the system tray)
  • When you get to the Mobile Authentication prompt in GW2, click into the box, as if you are about to type in the authentication code manually.
  • double-click the YubiTOTP icon in your system tray.
  • The current authentication code will be automatically typed into the box for you.
  • Click “Submit” (or press Enter) in GW2 and you’re into the game.

I have now removed all trace of gauth4win from my PC (especially registry entries – gauth4win stores your secret key in plain text in there!)

My secret key now only exists in my Yubikey hardware USB key (and at ArenaNet of course). GW2 login is quick and easy, and requires my USB hardware key (unless you can break into ArenaNet and get my secret code, get some malware onto my PC, or successfully implement a man-in-the-middle attack. None of which is easy) . I had to pay $25 for the Yubikey… but at least I didn’t have to buy a smartphone that I have no use for.

I am happy!

(edited by KeikoTerada.1963)

Posted by: Peandragon.3921

Peandragon.3921

Im using the Google authenticator and it works good so far. Here are my suggestions:

1.) Remember the IP address so I dont have to authenticate everytime
2.) number 1 wouldnt be so bad if the focus on the authentication screen would of been set appropriately. Worse, tab stobs must be off because I cant even tab into the field.
3.) When I log into forums, again the focus isnt sitting in the auth code box requiring a mouse click.

Thanks for the awesome feature!

Peandragon @ Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Wey M Olith.5081

Wey M Olith.5081

At this time, the authenticator is not even appearing in the Guild Wars 2 Log in. I enter my name and password and it takes me right in to the game.

Posted by: Tegan.1850

Tegan.1850

I’m not getting the authenticator at login, either. I got kicked out of the game with an invalid password message and when I logged back in, after entering username and pass, it let me back in.

Posted by: ReversaI.6275

ReversaI.6275

Logged out for a little while today and when i came back online (now) authenticator doesn’t show up. It says it’s still linked to my account though

Posted by: Puyt.2584

Puyt.2584

Same problem as Reversal, yesterday it worked normally now after patch it doesnt ask for authentication

Posted by: nullwolf.2498

nullwolf.2498

Logged out for a little while today and when i came back online (now) authenticator doesn’t show up. It says it’s still linked to my account though

Same here. Following the patch last night, I was still required to enter authentication. Now I’m not.

KeikoTerada.1963

I seriously hope this does NOT mean they have allowed x days between authentication from the same location.

I do NOT want that, and ArenaNet, if you’ve done this (or are thinking about it) – please make it an OPTION.

I want to be prompted for mobile authentication every time I logon, so I can see that it is activated and working, and I will be alerted if it is not. I want to know that even if account thieves somehow manage to bypass all my security, and are remote controlling my PC (or even physically sitting at my PC) – they still cannot access my account without my USB key.

Posted by: Zouron.8754

Zouron.8754

The client and the forum doesn’t ask for the authenticator pin anymore. This has happened since the latest patch. Prior to that all was working fine.

Posted by: MatsuoDestro.4637

MatsuoDestro.4637

Same problem here, after the patch no more asking for the generated key. Authenticator already removed and added again.

KeikoTerada.1963

I was not seeing the authenticator prompt earlier, when logging into these forums.

But now I am at a different location and net connection – and I just got the authenticator prompt!

This makes me suspicious that we will not be asked to authenticate every time. So I’ll say it again: if that is the case, ArenaNet please make that OPTIONAL. I don’t want my security reduced, because some people are too lazy to type a 6 digit code more than once a month.

Edit: Hmm. I logged out just now, and logged back in… and it still asked me for an authentication code. But I’m still at the same location. What’s going on?!

Edit2: It is now some hours later and I have returned to my “normal” location and connection… and now I am back to having no mobile authentication prompt -_-

Posted by: Challia Drumm.9126

Challia Drumm.9126

I seriously hope this does NOT mean they have allowed x days between authentication from the same location.

I do NOT want that, and ArenaNet, if you’ve done this (or are thinking about it) – please make it an OPTION.

I want to be prompted for mobile authentication every time I logon, so I can see that it is activated and working, and I will be alerted if it is not.

Exactly how I feel. Hopefully this is just a temporary hiccup; I quite like having vigilant authentication.

Posted by: Cabbage.4085

Cabbage.4085

I want to be prompted for mobile authentication every time I logon, so I can see that it is activated and working, and I will be alerted if it is not. I want to know that even if account thieves somehow manage to bypass all my security, and are remote controlling my PC (or even physically sitting at my PC) – they still cannot access my account without my USB key.

^This.

I care far too much for the security of my account. Taking the extra 5 seconds to input the code ensures maximum security.

Posted by: Jorn Wolfgang.3712

Jorn Wolfgang.3712

Me as well was startled to see no code prompt at login. Came to the site to check if it was still synched with my account and got in here without it as well. Checking my security it is still linked.

The point of a security fob is to enter a fresh code every login. This process has worked fine like that for years even now when it has moved to phones and tablets. Please do not dumb down security to appease people that can’t take the time to enter a code.

Posted by: cold.3946

cold.3946

Heads up Anet: seems like logging in to forums/client no longer prompts for the authenticator code. Just trying to make you aware so you can fix the problem!

Keg – 80 Guardian | Mini Keg – 80 Mesmer
Strike Force [SF] Stormbluff Isle
www.strikeforceguild.com

Posted by: kooiu.2457

kooiu.2457

Since last update of GW2´s the Mobile Authenticator is not being asked before login in to game, neither on your website. Already checked mobile auth is enabled on my account. Guess I could try to delete the actual one and obtain a new one but that´s not how it´s supposed to work, is it??.
Thank you.

Posted by: DeathLust.6579

DeathLust.6579

Heads up Anet: seems like logging in to forums/client no longer prompts for the authenticator code. Just trying to make you aware so you can fix the problem!

Same issue as stated above.

KeikoTerada.1963

It is only prompting for mobile authentication, for locations that have not been previously authorised and “remembered” by the system. It is working as A-net wants it to.

SOURCE

For those of us that actually take security seriously, and want to be prompted EVERY time… at this time they have no UI for editing previously authorised locations. Meaning, we’re S-outta-luck until they make that UI.

Even when they do make that UI, will they allow us to never remember any location, and therefore always get the prompt? For the love of God ArenaNet – PLEASE give us that option.

Right now – VERY DISAPPOINTED

Posted by: Zerilos.4837

Zerilos.4837

I’m not being prompted to enter my code. This obviously makes the authenticator useless, please fix.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’ve got the same thing, after the patch no authenticator. I’m using the one For Windows Phone.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I’m not being prompted to enter my code. This obviously makes the authenticator useless, please fix.

Don’t worry about it, it’s still working as intended:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Authenticator-bug-Merged/650566

In short:

- We have been developing a “remember this network” feature for the mobile authenticator in line with the same feature used by email authentication

- This feature became active tonight during the planned maintenance updates

- For any account which has already selected to remember a network, the mobile authenticator will respect your existing settings

- This means that if you are logging in from a location that you permitted via email authentication, the mobile authenticator will not currently prompt you for a secondary code

KeikoTerada.1963

Don’t worry about it, it’s still working as intended

I worry, because they intend it to work that way -_-

Here was me thinking ArenaNet was really getting their security act together. But then they threw the baby out with the bathwater. They reduced their “2-factor” authentication to “occasionally-2-factor, but mostly just 1-factor” authentication… such that:

• We can’t tell if it’s in place and working or not, except by logging in from a different address
  • It assumes your PC can never be infected by remote access/control malware
  • It assumes Mr Account Thief can never spoof your address
  • It assumes your PC can never be physically accessed by other people in your building/campus/whatever
  • It assumes nobody on the same network as you, will ever try to rob your account

As I said before: VERY DISAPPOINTED

ArenaNet, please put that UI in place to edit remembered locations.
And allow us to never HAVE any remembered locations. PLEASE!

Is ArenaNet even reading this feedback thread any more? Haven’t seen Mike Lewis post in here for more than 3 weeks… I realise it must be a busy time for him and all, but still…

Posted by: Pichu.5348

Pichu.5348

I think it should have a “Remember this computer for 1 week” when it comes to another authentication code.

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Don’t worry about it, it’s still working as intended

I worry, because they intend it to work that way -_-

Here was me thinking ArenaNet was really getting their security act together. But then they threw the baby out with the bathwater. They reduced their “2-factor” authentication to “occasionally-2-factor, but mostly just 1-factor” authentication… such that:

• We can’t tell if it’s in place and working or not, except by logging in from a different address
  • It assumes your PC can never be infected by remote access/control malware
  • It assumes Mr Account Thief can never spoof your address
  • It assumes your PC can never be physically accessed by other people in your building/campus/whatever
  • It assumes nobody on the same network as you, will ever try to rob your account

As I said before: VERY DISAPPOINTED

ArenaNet, please put that UI in place to edit remembered locations.
And allow us to never HAVE any remembered locations. PLEASE!

Is ArenaNet even reading this feedback thread any more? Haven’t seen Mike Lewis post in here for more than 3 weeks… I realise it must be a busy time for him and all, but still…

From what I read, it only remembers the network after you told it to remember the network. So, why did you tell it to remember your network when you still had the email authentication?

They are working on the option to remove remembered networks…