Feedback/Questions: PvP Reward Tracks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-reward-tracks-and-gear-unification/

There it is in all its glory.

Leave your thoughts, opinions, concerns, etc.

After having read it, my thoughts on the changes:

- Love the AP change. The cap is huge but it’s nice to know there’s an end in sight. It gives achievements more of a legitimate value, and someone could now, realistically, earn max AP at some point in the game’s life.
- The changes to rank XP is nice. I don’t do much PvP because of the sheer cliff you suddenly face once you hit rank 40. I’ll at least be more inclined to do it now.
- Gear being shared between both game modes is a nice, if long overdue, change.
- Legendary components being earn-able in PvP is pretty great news.
- Reward tracks are a great idea that I think incentives people to at least break out of their comfort zone and dabble in PvP, which is healthy for the PvP community.

Probably the most unanimously positive post so far, especially after yesterday’s pretty pithy offering of 3 paragraphs, one of which was reiterating something from the first blog post anyways.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

(edited by Mega Messiah.1734)

Posted by: Adminir.8140

Adminir.8140

There are a few other general changes to daily achievements. There will be a limit of 10,000 daily and 5,000 monthly achievement points, rotations have been updated, and several relevant achievements have been updated to function in PvP.

What does this mean? :O

Mega Messiah.1734

If you hover over your achievement score, it will show how much of it is comprised of daily achievement points, monthly achievement points, and the rest of the achievements in the game.

Once you hit 10,000 points earned through dailies and 5,000 points earned through the monthly, those achievements will stop giving you points.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It sounds great. Good news for those that PvP. And now the AP completionists should be happy, as well. =)

Posted by: Kratos.6293

Kratos.6293

Sounds promising

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

Amazing update, good blog to take into the weekend.

I’m hoping this draws a much better crowd into the Spvp part of the game. I’m glad we were wrong and solid foundations was not a glorified tutorial for people.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Should be a very interesting and exciting RU today, as well! =)

Posted by: SlothBear.9846

SlothBear.9846

Will equipped PvP items be added to the wardrobe, or do we need to put them into the PvP locker to make sure they get added?

What happens to people who have more than 10k or 5k daily or monthly achieves? Do they lose them or just can’t earn any more?

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

So do we get to do 2 monthlies in April with rewards for both?

When we reach 10k and 5k does that mean we never after do any daily and monthly achievements ever again?

If you don’t have map completetion, you still can’t get legendarys via PvP can you?

Mega Messiah.1734

When we reach 10k and 5k does that mean we never after do any daily and monthly achievements ever again?

It sounds like we’re getting 2 different monthlies, yeah. A normal one, like we have now, for the first half of April, and then a hybridized version for the second half. Not 100% though.

As for the post 10k/5k thing, at that point you’d do your daily for the laurels, coins, karma, and XP. Not for the AP anymore.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’m almost certainly being thick, but I have to say I found it really poorly worded about how Pvp and dungeon rewards were linked. Can anyone re-explain it for my benefit?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you don’t have map completetion, you still can’t get legendarys via PvP can you?

No, not rewards for both.

You can do the monthly and daily achievements, you just won’t get APs for them.

You need World Completion and Gift of Battle to create a Legendary, even in PvP.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Will equipped PvP items be added to the wardrobe, or do we need to put them into the PvP locker to make sure they get added?

What happens to people who have more than 10k or 5k daily or monthly achieves? Do they lose them or just can’t earn any more?

I’m not 100%, but I believe those caps have been chosen such that no one has reached it yet. Daily might be close/there, but monthly gives 10 per maxed category, so that’s 500 maxed. You can get 11 (I think? And that hasn’t always been the case) categories from PvE/P a month, so that’s a little under 50 months. For dailies, between PvE/P I think it’s around 13-15 (even if it’s a bit more, it wasn’t always), so that’s around ~2 years.

So yea, pretty sure cap hasn’t been reached on any account.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Thank gods I was sitting down for that. Holy crap what an overhaul…

Reward tracks look interesting…. Sadly, I’m not a pvper. Anyone have the patience to teach this stubborn, decrepit lady?

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Mega Messiah.1734

I’m almost certainly being thick, but I have to say I found it really poorly worded about how Pvp and dungeon rewards were linked. Can anyone re-explain it for my benefit?

From what it sounds like, dungeons will have progress bars in the PvP UI that you can work towards by playing PvP matches in order to unlock tokens and gear specific to that dungeon, which you can then spend at the merchants in Vigil’s Keep to get the armor for PvP, since looks will be shared. That way, if PvP is your thing, you wont have to run the dungeon to get the look in HotM.

As for how the tracks work, it reads like this: they have a 2 week rotation where you can make progress towards a dungeon’s rewards, which I’m assuming can be activated to actually progress in the one you want.

If you want to be able to permanently progress through that dungeon track, without having to wait the 2 weeks, all you have to do is run the story mode and it unlocks that track to be progressed through at your leisure, rather than during a 2 week window.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

I like this change. It means I can do PvP and feel like I am making progress without having to devout my life to it.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Dungeon tokens are rewarded from that reward track in PvP. So the CoE reward track gives CoE tokens.

As a non-pvper the system sounds good to me, you work towards the items you want but will we be able to bypass the cost of cultural with PvP?

I sort of skimed the blog because it didn’t really apply to me as a player so maybe that’s been answered and I actually had the some question with the dungeon rewards until I reread that part.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Instead of having to run particular dungeons to receive the rewards said dungeons offer, you can PvP and earn Reward Track points, instead. Once completing a Dungeon Reward Track, you unlock the reward.

The Tracks rotate every two weeks or so, so you would have to wait for the Track you want to come up….or….you can do the Story Mode for the Dungeon associated with the Dungeon Track you want to work on, and it will be available all the time.

At least, that is what I got out of the blog.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I think this was my favorite blog post yet. I might actually spend some more time in PvP now, it looks substantially more rewarding.

I will need to craft the crap ton of items I have saved up now.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Sadness. I use the daily and monthly to level with. I mean I do other things as well, but it gives a visible progress bar and I generally make sure to do them on my current leveling project even if I could do them faster on an 80.

Though I just checked my balance: of my 11,175 AP 3,904 are from daily and 971 from monthly. That cap isn’t going to hit any time soon. Probably not in my lifetime of play in this game, actually. (I’m not an AP farmer in that I don’t do EVERY daily every day, but I have done at least 5 a day almost every day since they were introduced, and every monthly, at least 4 of the categories a month. So the serious leaderboard chasers might be a lot closer to the cap).

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Aha ok thanks guys, that’s much more clearly explained than the blog post.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Hm the new reward system has gotten me interested in spvp again, dungeon tokens through rewards = nice, now if only some of that would spill over into wvw. Nice changes to make spvp feel rewarding and part of the rest of the game again.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Vagrant.8613

Vagrant.8613

Time to open up all those pvp equipment boxes I’ve been getting from AP rewards. Need more skins for my wardrobe =)

Posted by: ProsaicPudding.6437

ProsaicPudding.6437

Really glad to see the unified daily/monthlies. I never realized but there was always this sort of “is today a pvp or pve day?” feel. Pretty much everything else in this announcement was also positive. One thing I’m a little sad about is the lack of a unique PVP set. I sort of like my character having multiple sets of gear, but maybe this means we’ll see multiple wardrobe sets soon? It’s a bit of a pain to have to go in and change all of my gear every time I want to change my look.

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

A number of bad moves IMO:

• required 6x full rune set
  • no more mixing amulet and jewel
  • having to pay for future amulets, traits, etc.
  • having to pay to use your skins(yes, you could just use a basic white item as they “suggest”)

The only good things about it are the increased rewards/PvE obtainable things in PvP and the combined daily/monthly.

At the end of the day, the changes to amulets and runes will MOST definitely kill off build diversity and once you add in having to purchase new things with gold/skillpoints, then you’re going to have a HUGE un-even playing field with new players(who are already at a disadvantage by being new).

shrug

This is truly a case of, “one step forward, two steps back” if there ever was one.

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

Time to open up all those pvp equipment boxes I’ve been getting from AP rewards. Need more skins for my wardrobe =)

Thanks for the reminder! Almost forgot about them!

And this update might actually make me try pvp… It’s something I’ve avoided in most games I play, because I’ve never felt the need to expose myself to idiotic comments and general newb-bashing (not to mention that many games require a full set of fingers for their pvp). The mixed dailies is a nice addition.

ZudetGambeous.9573

A number of bad moves IMO:

• required 6x full rune set
  • no more mixing amulet and jewel
  • having to pay for future amulets, traits, etc.
  • having to pay to use your skins(yes, you could just use a basic white item as they “suggest”)

The only good things about it are the increased rewards/PvE obtainable things in PvP and the combined daily/monthly.

At the end of the day, the changes to amulets and runes will MOST definitely kill off build diversity and once you add in having to purchase new things with gold/skillpoints, then you’re going to have a HUGE un-even playing field with new players(who are already at a disadvantage by being new).

shrug

This is truly a case of, “one step forward, two steps back” if there ever was one.

For actual PvP’ers this is probably a huge step back, but there are basically no PvP’ers so I don’t think Anet cares.

What this will do is get a huge number of PvE and WvW people to try out PvP and give them a huge numbers boost that they can later use to show how successful this patch was for PvP.

Posted by: Blackhearted.1264

Blackhearted.1264

And judging by the pics, they didn’t fix one of the biggest issues that made pvp a complete waste of time. That being that your rewards are in loot boxes and decided by kittening rng.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

These changes are perfect. I’ll actually do PvP now on a regular basis! Good job, Anet. Really well done.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

So- in order for me to obtain a pvp skin I like just to use for pve, I have to farm pvp to lvl & get it? (I’m talking about the masquerade pvp set) Or can you craft it? Find it as a drop? Is it auto unlocked for the wardrobe?
Which I don’t mind farming but no one’s answered this question I feel- send me a PM if you know :’D

Posted by: Breaking Bad.6241

Breaking Bad.6241

Not happy with the unification of PvP and PvE armor. I liked using different sets – for example cultural t3 for PvE and a dungeon or gemstore armor for PvP. That way I never get bored with the looks. Now I can only use one (unless I spend charges every time).

Everything else sounds amazing.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Yeah I feel that the amulet jewl combination being forced kind of sucks. Now we are forced to use a certain stat allotment that they force…. And it limits our traits to having to balance out what the jewl used to do….

Also the rune being all in one slot now stinks too. Sometimes mixing and matching is better. Basically they are asking us to just “trust them” that the new rune balance is going to make us want to use all of one set.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So- in order for me to obtain a pvp skin I like just to use for pve, I have to farm pvp to lvl & get it? (I’m talking about the masquerade pvp set) Or can you craft it? Find it as a drop? Is it auto unlocked for the wardrobe?
Which I don’t mind farming but no one’s answered this question I feel- send me a PM if you know :’D

I too would like to know what’s going to happen to that set, since the pvp and pve sets have the same name but not the same skin.

What will happen with the merge?
Will this skin become somehow obtainable via pve now?
With the removal of pvp crafting, will it continue to be obtainable in pvp? How?

Unfortunately I cant just go pvp craft this because I’m not r30, and don’t have glory for components… sigh

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

With this release, we are adding new runes, sigils, amulets, and traits outside of the core set. The core set is always open and available to all PvP players. New runes, sigils and amulets can be unlocked for your account with gold; new traits can be unlocked for your character for gold and skill points. These items are purchased directly from the UI. If it’s locked, simply click on it to unlock it!

That sounds like to have an actual level playing field you’ve got to pony up some gold. Isn’t that contrary to PvP design where skill rules all?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

That sounds like to have an actual level playing field you’ve got to pony up some gold. Isn’t that contrary to PvP design where skill rules all?

It would appear that that has worked out so amazingly well for them that they’re dumping it completely.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

With this release, we are adding new runes, sigils, amulets, and traits outside of the core set. The core set is always open and available to all PvP players. New runes, sigils and amulets can be unlocked for your account with gold; new traits can be unlocked for your character for gold and skill points. These items are purchased directly from the UI. If it’s locked, simply click on it to unlock it!

Their official stance is that unlocking traits counts as horizontal progression because they’re only increasing the variety of traits available to players, not the number of trait points.

However, I myself do not agree with this line of thinking; if you have more options available to you, obviously you’re going to have an advantage over a player that has more restrictions placed on their account.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Instead of having to run particular dungeons to receive the rewards said dungeons offer, you can PvP and earn Reward Track points, instead. Once completing a Dungeon Reward Track, you unlock the reward.

The Tracks rotate every two weeks or so, so you would have to wait for the Track you want to come up….or….you can do the Story Mode for the Dungeon associated with the Dungeon Track you want to work on, and it will be available all the time.

At least, that is what I got out of the blog.

But what exactly can you do in PvP that can somehow correlate to dungeons? I really wish they had given us some kind of example of what needs to be done in the tracks to finish them. Thats probably the biggest negative I have for the blog today (second would be the caps on monthly/daily, which I don’t agree with).

Yeah, guess its probably time to go and open mine as well. Gotta figure out how to salvage the ones I get duplicates of (I know there’s the pvp salvage kit) and then how to use them to craft stuff (hopefully it doesn’t really require ranks, cause I don’t think I’ve ever gotten even one rank).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

ZudetGambeous.9573

Skill and the size of your pocketbook. Welcome to F2P games.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Actually this sounds very similar to GW1 where the core components of pvp were unlocked by default. Additional components were unlocked for the account through: pvp currency purchases, discovery in pve, or flat out purchased from the shop. Such things included: runes, insignia, upgrade components and even skills.

Edit: With these changes to pvp, I don’t think they should have removed Glory. Simply re purposed it instead. It could have become GW2’s ‘Balthazar faction’ instead and should have been used as the currency to unlock such additional things….

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I’m glad we were wrong and solid foundations was not a glorified tutorial for people.

I wanted it to be about Housing, but this is still a welcomed blog.
Also I do hope it entices people that weren’t initially into sPvP to try now.
GW2 seemed like three different games.
At the time, it made sense that folks like me screamed each pillar should stand on its own and be strong.
Now ANet is making motions to actually unifying the game a bit.
As a ardent and zealous PvE fan, I probably won’t make that plunge.
Though it is good to see that what benefits PvP’ers will have effects on PvE’ers and vice versa.

Now the game hopefully will feel like one game with three avenues of entertainment, instead of three games under one banner.

Also fact is the PvP crowd was constantly shafted with nearly every release out there, save the Edge of the Mists. Now they can experience some rewards with these tracks.
This will also give loot hounds yet another thing to chew on if they want to gain stuff.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Their official stance is that unlocking traits counts as horizontal progression because they’re only increasing the variety of traits available to players, not the number of trait points.

However, I myself do not agree with this line of thinking; if you have more options available to you, obviously you’re going to have an advantage over a player that has more restrictions placed on their account.

This isn’t about traits. It’s about access to PvP gear/rune/sigil stats.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)