in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaona.9105

Kaona.9105

While finding many of the colors of dye at my disposal, I had decided to try out a pack of this. from what I had discovered with this if from list of 25 options of dye that can be obtained from this, 6 are the new set and the other 19 seem to be a very common selection of dye.

This is either common quality dye or a selection of what is the very common options of rare dye (that are worth at most of 1.5g each from the trading post). This available selection has made this the first item off of the “Black Lion Trading Company” that I feel like I was robbed by.

For $10 or 65-70g for 400 Diamonds, this makes an investment for this dye very expensive. So expensive that at the very least, common dye from this is not what one would expect to receive from this. In addition to this, unidentified dye often hovers around .5g each, allowing one to buy 167 unidentified dye for the price of 5 on the black lion trading post.

Overall this selection of dye needs a very large overhaul to keep up with the standards of the rest of the items available on the BLTC. Without it, the only thing Holiday about this exclusive item is Holiday disappointment, much like receiving a pair of socks in an over sized box for Christmas.

80 Guardian 80 Ranger 24 Warrior
80 Thief 80 Engineer 0 Necromancer
80 Elementalist 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I’m getting the sense this is the first time you’ve bought dye packs from the store?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Indeed, lol. Working as always; it’s a gamble that you will get one of the Rare Dyes, whenever you purchase a Dye Pack. Usually, the odds are 6 in 25, but the Shadow Dye Pack had better odds (I think it was 10/25).

Good luck.

Posted by: Kaona.9105

Kaona.9105

nah I had before, back when the cost of dye was much higher than it is now.

80 Guardian 80 Ranger 24 Warrior
80 Thief 80 Engineer 0 Necromancer
80 Elementalist 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Lucent.8906

Lucent.8906

For $10 or 65-70g for 400 Diamonds, this makes an investment for this dye very expensive.

Just so you know, $10 is 800 gems, not 400.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

While it is a gamble and while I’m not sure it should be, if you’re spending real money…

…technically, I don’t think they are as bad an investment as unidentified dyes, as I think unidentified dyes have a worse chance of dropping a valuable dye than the dye packs do?

Maybe someone can confirm, or deny, that?

So, while you could buy far more unidentified dyes for the same price, not sure how much higher your typical return would be?

Maybe it would still probably be higher, IDK?

I actually had pretty amazing luck with my only dye pack (the Shadow one); I got 4 rares out of 5, with one of them being the most valuable one.

So, on that basis, I (far) more than got my money back, in potential gold.

But, obviously, as it is a gamble, it could also have easily gone the other way.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Welcome to gamble wars 2.

Most things are like this- exclusive dye packs have been around since just a few months after launch, and have always been the same. 6 exclusive dyes in a wide pool of non-exclusive dyes.

The tool-tip even says: “Double-click to gain one random _ color. Includes a chance at 1 of 6 exclusive colors.”

I mean, maybe it should go as far as saying “Includes a chance at 1 of 6 exclusive colors out of a pool of 25 dyes”… but let’s face it, it’s normal for businesses to not inform up-front about these things, to take advantage of a non-informed audience.

Moral of the story: Use the wiki to learn about gem-store products before you buy them. You can avoid disappointment this way. Often the wiki provides drop rate research as well, so you can weigh up your chances of actually getting something good. In most cases, it’s actually more worthwhile to convert the gems into gold.

Posted by: Zebulous.2934

Zebulous.2934

It was easier to deal with back when dye was one unlock per character, the rare drop rate was much better, and all the dyes cost more at the time.

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

You shouldn’t get rubbish at all (i.e. common dyes), it’s a laughable mechanic.

It would be like going to the bookstore to buy a new book only to have the owner say there’s a 75% chance I’m buying the book I already have back at home. That’s just crazy.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

It would be like going to the bookstore to buy a new book only to have the owner say there’s a 75% chance I’m buying the book I already have back at home. That’s just crazy.

Except it’s not, because the item itself is the equivalent of a real life “mystery bag” or “blind bag”. If you want a specific dye, you can buy it directly from the TP.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Except it’s not, because the item itself is the equivalent of a real life “mystery bag” or “blind bag”. If you want a specific dye, you can buy it directly from the TP.

Statistically speaking it’s even going to be cheaper than blowing gems on the dye packs. On the one hand if no one buys dye packs then no one can sell them, on the other hand trying to get a dye pack could realistically cost more in gems (gambling) than converting gems to gold and simply buying the dye you want.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

Someone once perpetrated an excellent typo on these forums which should have caught on. ArenaNet was accidentally called ArenaBet.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

While finding many of the colors of dye at my disposal, I had decided to try out a pack of this. from what I had discovered with this if from list of 25 options of dye that can be obtained from this, 6 are the new set and the other 19 seem to be a very common selection of dye.

This is either common quality dye or a selection of what is the very common options of rare dye (that are worth at most of 1.5g each from the trading post). This available selection has made this the first item off of the “Black Lion Trading Company” that I feel like I was robbed by.

For $10 or 65-70g for 400 Diamonds, this makes an investment for this dye very expensive. So expensive that at the very least, common dye from this is not what one would expect to receive from this. In addition to this, unidentified dye often hovers around .5g each, allowing one to buy 167 unidentified dye for the price of 5 on the black lion trading post.

Overall this selection of dye needs a very large overhaul to keep up with the standards of the rest of the items available on the BLTC. Without it, the only thing Holiday about this exclusive item is Holiday disappointment, much like receiving a pair of socks in an over sized box for Christmas.

This is how all of the limited edition dye packs work:

• 25 possible drops
  • 6 drops exclusive to the kit (although one kit has 12)
  • limited data suggests the odds of the exclusives dropping are somewhat less than 6/25, somewhat more than the rare:master:fine ratios of unidentified dyes.

In effect, these are lottery tickets. Limited-edition dye are always cheaper to buy directly from the TP (the exceptions are: the first 8 to 48 hours after the kit is released and some months after the kit is removed from the gem shop).

Whether you use gems to buy the kit (converted from gold or not) or gold to buy off the TP (converted from gems or not), the ultimate cost is less if you pick the dyes you want and buy them from the TP, unless you happen to be one of the lucky ones — and there will be lots of such examples.

tl;dr if you want a specific color, don’t buy from the gem shop; buy from the TP (using a custom offer). Only buy the kits if you enjoy the thrill of rolling the dice to see if your luck is better than average.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”