Feeling helpless in the water.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I am a simple hack em and slash em sort of player I admit, but I do fine on land. Taken down those 3 Pyrite Giants in Malchor’s Leap solo, so I am not a compleat idiot player but…

As soon as I get into the water I may as well be a neon tetra. Totally visible to all enemies (I try picking them off one by one but to no avail) and absolutely helpless.

My character is speced for power/vitality with some healing thrown in, but it is at the stage where I just don’t bother with water based dynamics at all since I can do absolutely nothing. I have my lvl 74 speargun, and lvl 80 armour but may as well be wearing town clothes.

Anyone else feel like this? Alternatively, please give me some advice on what I can do to be more effective!

(edited by GuzziHero.2467)

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Movement is even more important in water than it is on land. Remember that ya’ve got another dimension not only ta worry about, but ta work with. Don’ get yerself mobbed, in melee or yer done for – equipment is way more important in water than on land. (though sounds like ya’ve got the equipment side covered)

Water is harder, because ya don’ have any skills ta rely on, so yer not imaginin’ it … but it can be done, jus’ takes practice. (yer learnin’ a whole other combat type) But it is really, really worth it for the fantastic sunken sites ya’ll see, at least if yer inta explorin’. (if yer not … there are a couple cool underwater bosses, but maybe not as much ta attract ya as above land)

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

GuzziHero.2467

Oh yes, I agree on the beautiful scenery underwater. It is the part of Tyria that leaves me the most slack jawed in amazement. I just dread going into water most times because I feel like chum!

I am a thief and my usual tactic on land against superior foes is to grind them down with Thief’s Guild and Trap, healing when I need to since the stealth lets me back off to recover. In the water, I also use Hide In Shadows to hit-and-run, but the cooldown often is too slow to save my squishy little life when there are many hostiles.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Nope, I feel it’s easier, except for when the stupid mobs go invulnerable even though I haven’t moved at ALL?

With a Thief, their number 5 skill with a spear evades all attacks whilst dealing damage, they also have a skill that blocks then counters with a multiple stabs. Same with warrior & spear, they have an 2 interrupts and a block along with 2 very heavy damage dealing skills.

My advice would just be to learn how to effectively work your skills underwater.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

I dont mind it going from point a to b. or maybe picking up a skill point, but why anyone would want to spend long enough in the water to do an event or anything is beyond me.

It is like someone was sitting around and said hey you know all these cool weapon skills?? Lets trash them and make them use a bunch of crappy ones underwater. Oh and their utility skills?? Lots of people find them lacking on land so lets cut them down even more in the water, maybe then they will be happy with how many they have on land.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Mystfit.8309

Mystfit.8309

I was pretty weak in water but it was my own fault. I didn’t realize I had to set up the last few skills on the right as I leveled up, so I was like level 60 before I thought it was weird I had no under water elites and actually looked into the matter. It’s better now

(edited by Mystfit.8309)

GuzziHero.2467

How do you set up utility skills for underwater? I am lvl 80 now and have nothing right of healing skill…

Mystfit.8309

When underwater you should be able to click on the indivual boxes where the spells would be and it pulls up the choices of spells you can use underwater. Just click on all the boxes and fill them up! Not sure exactly where you click in the box…it’s the upper right corner when changing the spell you want to use.

GuzziHero.2467

Ah ha. For some reason I never got, or didnt see, the skill selection arrow. I feel really dumb now, because I am sure I have looked for one and never seen it…

Mystfit.8309

There wasn’t an arrow. I think that’s why I didn’t notice it for so long. They were jsut blank boxes…and I guess it never struck me that there should be something in those spots. I assumed udnerwater was different. It was a thread comparing classes underwater elites that made me wonder why I didn’t have one and start clicking on them one day….

GuzziHero.2467

Well, thank you muchly! With those skills, I certainly feel a lot less vulnerable now!