Feelings About the Christmas Tree Syndrome

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: molepunch.5673

molepunch.5673

Hi all. I can’t help feeling that the game and its art department is regressing a lot what with more and more flashy, glowy or plain over-the-top skins being introduced. I guess I really prefer the “sophisticated flashy” that most PCs had a few months ago.

How do you guys feel? Or are most of you cool with the walking Xmas Tree look like in that other MMO with Pandas?

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

The SAB skins are a little gaudy, but it’ll probably thin out as the event ends and the world becomes more populated with new players, returning players, and alts that didn’t have a chance to pick them up. I’m fine with seeing them here and there.

That said, use some discretion, people. Alright, I can see that super greatsword going well with a guardian, but it makes your non-blue warrior just look tacky.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I’m not a panda, so that’s something.

On the other hand, I’m a sentient plant.

With lights.

Maybe I am an x-mas tree :o

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: xydrassial.6953

xydrassial.6953

i play an asura engi i have my cam out at max for easy gaoe targeting, so i do kinda like having flashy gear as honestly anything else is hardly noticeable. although i would say there’s currently a fairly nice selection between flashylavalightingdiscoballsofunicornrainbows (<new word of the day) and the more down to earth armors available.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

there are only a few “flashy” skins so far.
particle effect in this game are really tame, compared to a lot of other games so far, so i dont mind so far.

however i see a trend, where things get more shinier in the future, because everyone want these “flashy skins”.
However, this isnt the creators fault, its the playerbase. they are choosing these for their character.
Heck, even i am going for “The Anomaly” as well as the a “Fractal Sword” for my character.

However i prefer less flashy effect on my armor. going for the simple style. (however, it would be grat to have the flames on the CoF armor colorable, that would be rad)

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

I’m generally fine with glowy stuff, but I’m not keen on the fractal back item. It’s a pity back items aren’t set to go into show-off mode exclusively when in combat, like most of the sparklier weapons.

Those splodges some Legendary weapons leave behind look a bit horrid, too. Not sure what ANet were thinking with those.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I love glowies. I had a nice collection going in Daoc, and to a lesser extent DDO. Glowie armour though? Sounds odd. Wouldn’t mind a couple of shiney armour skins but glowing ones might be a bit much.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

1st thing: SAB weapons are related to the holiday event (i.e. April Fools). They’ll be outplayed by other weapon skins down the line.

2nd thing: Legendary weapons are the flashiest, showiest weapons around for good reason. They’re meant to be prestige things of status nature.

3rd thing: Most importantly, it’s best to have super cool looking, flashy weapons instead of gaudy over-the-top shoulders like there are in some other games. Weapons are important, having 5million spikes spinning circles on your shoulders are not important.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’m generally fine with glowy stuff, but I’m not keen on the fractal back item. It’s a pity back items aren’t set to go into show-off mode exclusively when in combat, like most of the sparklier weapons.

Those splodges some Legendary weapons leave behind look a bit horrid, too. Not sure what ANet were thinking with those.

“Skritts will be out biggest customers!”?

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Not a lot of items are glowy or shiny. Personally I don’t mind them so much, some look pretty cool. Wish I could turn off the nightly glow on my Ascalonian Sword, though.xP I prefer the daytime look for that one.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

“Skritts will be out biggest customers!”?

Ha! That’s probably it. Actually, I wouldn’t mind a weapon that leaves a trail of loot bags.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I like that the game so many different elements in it.

molepunch.5673

1st thing: SAB weapons are related to the holiday event (i.e. April Fools). They’ll be outplayed by other weapon skins down the line.

2nd thing: Legendary weapons are the flashiest, showiest weapons around for good reason. They’re meant to be prestige things of status nature.

3rd thing: Most importantly, it’s best to have super cool looking, flashy weapons instead of gaudy over-the-top shoulders like there are in some other games. Weapons are important, having 5million spikes spinning circles on your shoulders are not important.

LOL had a good laugh about the spinning spikes. I guess I kinda agree. Weapons being flashy is OK. The crazy shoulder armor is kinda not. Well, for me. Those ginormous blades on the Medium Armor Human T3? SMH …Words fail me.

I guess I’m just hoping for more down-to-earth looking skins and I think there’s definitely an audience for that sort of style. More LotRO and less Pand-o.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I went for a non flashy shield and then it turned into a stupid blue skull at night, sigh -_-

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

There are PLENTY of understated weapon and armor skins available, so I’m not upset at all that they are adding in more flashy items for those that want them.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

LOL had a good laugh about the spinning spikes. I guess I kinda agree. Weapons being flashy is OK. The crazy shoulder armor is kinda not. Well, for me. Those ginormous blades on the Medium Armor Human T3? SMH …Words fail me.

I guess I’m just hoping for more down-to-earth looking skins and I think there’s definitely an audience for that sort of style. More LotRO and less Pand-o.

It’s not like there’s not an option to turn off shoulder armour…
It’s not like there’s plenty of other, smaller shoulder armour available…

Some people just see 1 thing they don’t like, and then go on a complaining rampage that the whole game is a fail, and that there is no variety and that every player is a walking Christmas tree.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Never been a fan of the flashy looking weapons in any game.

I’m not sure why so many game companies think flashy as soon as the word legendary pops up. I’d much rather have a good looking clean weapon, a mace or hammer with ornaments that strikes your foe with thunderblasts when you hit them in combat.

Currently the legendaries are kinda awful in my mind, too over the top. Now days everything is so FF over the top its not even funny. If I wanted oversized sparkly greatswords or overzied greatswords in general I’d pick FF or any other asian MMO on the market.

I’m glad there are still choises that lets us avoid the “legendary” weapons. The mystic weapons I do like, because they look very special in their own way and usually have a nice theme to them. Fractal weapons just look yuck. F&F skins look lovely for the most part, just enough magic fluff going on, the axes are probably some of my favorites when it comes to looks, I’m a sucker for fire.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I love glowies. I had a nice collection going in Daoc, and to a lesser extent DDO. Glowie armour though? Sounds odd. Wouldn’t mind a couple of shiney armour skins but glowing ones might be a bit much.

Oh man me too. I paid far out the kitten for any and all glowy weapons at one point on alb daoc. I had 4 or 5 bank tabs full of different ones. Love the blue to orange flame look they had on swords

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

molepunch.5673

It’s not like there’s not an option to turn off shoulder armour…
It’s not like there’s plenty of other, smaller shoulder armour available…

Some people just see 1 thing they don’t like, and then go on a complaining rampage that the whole game is a fail, and that there is no variety and that every player is a walking Christmas tree.

Don’t jump to conclusions. You are kinda projecting.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

As someone who loathes that other game’s overuse of particle effects, glowing eyes, etc, I hope ANet doesn’t overdo things here.

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

For my part, I think the skins Braham and Rox are using are incredible, and would make stellar additions to the game proper. They aren’t particularly flashy or effects-laden, just cool designs.

molepunch.5673

As someone who loathes that other game’s overuse of particle effects, glowing eyes, etc, I hope ANet doesn’t overdo things here.

Same. I can’t help thinking that overdone gear just look absolutely foolish and juvenile. It’s especially silly when in spite of all the godlike glow and sparkles a little (pre-nerf) Graveling can end it all.

I hope to see more normal weapons that are a cut above the norm but without particle overload. Perhaps some Canthan or more Sylvari or even dye-able weapons?