Feels like a single player game.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: UnicornViolet.3081

UnicornViolet.3081

I have roughly 50 hours of time played on my main character, and I’m growing bored of wandering around the countryside by myself completing karma quests. I find myself actually craving dungeons, or even a battleground or something. So far I feel like I’m playing a single player game – I occasionally come across other players, but there is no sense of team work, or communication with them at all.

Is there a dungeon/pvp queue system or something I just haven’t discovered yet?

(edited by UnicornViolet.3081)

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Better get used to it, it’s been like this since launch and will only get worse.

You’re probably not wrong, I followed my Guild from GW into this game so never feel alone when I play. To a newcomer though, it will definetly will. The game should add active Guilds to join at character creation where you can send a request to join or play solo.

I’m not calling you a newbie or anything Violet but sounds like you need a decent guild

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

There’s WvW, and sPvP. Dungeons start at level 30, but there is no dungeon finder.
Might want to transfer to a better PvE server until ANet revamps the open world.

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

gw2lfg.com will help you group for dungeons.

Posted by: Ryth.6518

Ryth.6518

This is what happens when you…

1. Create too many waypoints (should be 1-2 MAX)
2. Allow people to just teleport anywhere (should be transport or run/ride)
3. Don’t force people out into the world (sitting in cities)

See WoW from Cataclysm forward…

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

GW2 would actually benefit from cross realm zones from WoW. Basically when you go into a particular zone…. it fills up with people from all different realms until it reaches it’s cap. Then a new CRZ is open. So on and so forth.

I think the technology is there for Anet to pull that off since we already have overflow servers. I would actually be surprised if we didn’t see this in the future. It’s probably one of the biggest things Anet could do to ensure the game’s longevity.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Ok, I ramble a bit but seriously what do you guys think of having active guilds, guild requests as part of the character creation screen? Have the top 5 Guilds in the server show up and you can request an invite.

Christ even have all Guilds active on the server show up for new players to join so they don’t feel so alone.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

GW2 is pretty much a single player RPG with a multiplayer lobby. It’s not really an MMO, the devs even said so.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

First off, for the past few weeks everyone’s been in LA for fractals and Wintersday instances. Once Wintersday ends people will be in the world more.

Some tips for more player interaction:

1) Try talking in map chat. Especially shout out rich nodes you find, champions that are up, if you’re going for a skill point, etc. Usually you get someone.

2) Server problems. Your time may be off from the server prime time. There’s not much to do about this except switching when you play. Or, your server may be a heavy WvW or PvP server, and you need to find a PvE guild. Or, your server may be low population and there’s nothing that can be done except transfer or get involved in whatever the server leadership are doing to draw people in. I know Henge of Denravi has a Map of the Day where guilds encourage people to go, so maybe your server is doing something like that.

3) Find a guild, or a couple guilds. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/OPERATION-UNION-Bringing-Players-Together/first is a social cross-server guild – we do dungeons and a lot of map chat, and are always happy to help people out. I joined that and a server-specific guild because I was on a server without a lot of Unionites. Having an active guild to rep at all times made the game feel a lot less lonely.

4) Offer to party with people near you. Don’t spam party invites all over, but ask if someone wants to party up for a champ or DE.

5) Network on your server. Make friends and keep them in your contacts list. Having a few people you can all up and ask for help with a champ or whatever can make a big difference. Starting areas are good for this – play a few events with people, party with them, if they’re cool add them to your friends list and chat with them when they’re online. One person I know who does this can get people to drop what they’re doing and travel across Tyria just to help with champs.

EDIT: More tips, didn’t read post fully

6) Log in, hit B, go to WvW. It’s a large-scale PvP zone, there’s always a battle going on somewhere.

7) LFG system is in the works, but no ETA. In the meantime, people mostly try Lion’s Arch map chat or guilds to group up. You can get to LA for free from anywhere through the PvP or WvW maps, check the wiki for detailed instructions.

(edited by Gilosean.3805)

Posted by: Yviz.1053

Yviz.1053

They should just combine all the low and mid levels into one big overflow server. Do we really need 10+ servers with very few population from L1-L79?

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

I think this comes entirely down to a server by server basis. I got myself onto the unofficial RP server and I see people everywhere. Doesn’t matter where I choose to quest/explore/DE or whatever, there are plenty of people to go around.

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

To actually answer the OP…

Yes, there is a dungeon, a sPvP, and WvW you have not seem to discover yet.

In fact, one of the main reasons that you probably feel like this is a single-player game in the open world (as we all did) is because currently more than 70% of the population I would say is grinding it out in dungeons.

Posted by: Saraneth.6021

Saraneth.6021

Grinding it out in Fractals. Would be a waste of time to do any other dungeon.