Female characters look way better

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

male characters look much better, i hate skimpy armors and always wear helms

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

I’m a guy and I’ve converted most of my characters to guys bc I hate getting sexual PMs from other guys that think I’m a chick IRL. -.-

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Most of my characters are female because they do just look better. They rock the light armor, while males look goofy. All male med armor is trenchcoats, while female have some other options. Both sexes look good in heavy armor, but sometimes males look bulky.

I’ve actually been considering changing my human guardian to female.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: MoJoe.9063

MoJoe.9063

then again, one thing i find off-putting is the voice of the female human, it will always sound way to adult so making a young girl of 19 years old ruins it all.

This bothers me too; I wish we had some options in terms of voices. I have two human female characters: a guardian and a mesmer. The voice fits pretty well on my guardian, whom I imagine to be a bit more dignified and mature individual. But my mesmer is supposed to be a tricky, silver-tongued illusionist who charms and deceives her way through life. I would like her to sound more playful/upbeat or sultry/seductive, and the human female voice doesn’t lend itself well to that.

Borlis Pass
Azman – Asura Necromancer, Kemena – Human Guardian
Emracool – Sylvari Elementalist, Lyra Lightbender – Sylvari Mesmer

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

I’m a guy and I’ve converted most of my characters to guys bc I hate getting sexual PMs from other guys that think I’m a chick IRL. -.-

I just mock them. My female characters get a lot of unwanted whisper spam (far worse now since the Megaservers) whereas my male characters don’t. At the end of the day, my characters are not representative of me but are merely puppets under my control. It’s not my problem if some hormonal teen gets turned on by pixels.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

male humans just need more old faces and male norn less scarred, that’s what makes the choice so problematic.
then again, one thing i find off-putting is the voice of the female human, it will always sound way to adult so making a young girl of 19 years old ruins it all.

male humans also range from skinny to slightly buff, and tend to not feel that masculine. They tend to look kind of weak. I wanted to make a male human for teir 3 heavy, but he just looked too wussy for what i was going for, had to reroll him as a norn and say goodbye to teir 3.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Im heterosexual, and my MMO characters are almost always females.
Females usually have the sexiest looking armor and tbh,
if i am going to spend long hours looking at a character’s behind,
it might as well be a female’s behind.

I’ve heard this argument with some frequency, and part of me dies every time.

It shouldn’t. It’s perfectly natural. Males are genetically programmed to be attracted to healthy female characteristics (unhealthy females tended to die during childbirth in past ages, so genes to ignore how a female looks got selected out). Just like females are genetically programmed to be attracted to males who are capable of protecting (strength) and providing for (wealth) a family. Nothing sexist about it. Those are just the traits which yielded a greater chance of survival of the offspring.

OTOH, if they treat you as if you’re nothing more than your physical or financial characteristics, that’s sexist.

Stating its genetically “programmed” really shows that you actually do not grasp sexual attraction at all. There are far more factors in attraction, genetics only plays a small part in it. (I.E Homosexuality, where as one would not be attracted to the same gender)

In regards to this argument though I always laughed when people claimed the reason why they played females, but the fact the matter is most of those games had capes or robes, which covered the back end region anyway.

(edited by Chase.8415)

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I just mock them. My female characters get a lot of unwanted whisper spam (far worse now since the Megaservers) whereas my male characters don’t. At the end of the day, my characters are not representative of me but are merely puppets under my control. It’s not my problem if some hormonal teen gets turned on by pixels.

All my characters are females and I’ve never received a PM like that.
Then again, I never roleplay.

Posted by: The Pointless.3869

The Pointless.3869

All my characters are females and I’ve never received a PM like that.
Then again, I never roleplay.

That’s not even a factor. I’ve had the rare creep whisper me while I’m playing my norn mesmer, and I don’t roleplay ever.

Posted by: isolatedchimp.2510

isolatedchimp.2510

Eh, I don’t think it’s a fault of ANET’s art department if you feel that the attractive females look better than the attractive males. Most straight men are going to feel that way. I do think that male humans could use some rugged looking options though.

Also, if you’re a straight guy playing a female because you don’t want to stare at male meat cheeks for hours, why are you staring at male butts in the first place? Not that there’s anything wrong with that but I laugh at this explanation. Play what you want but leave the silly excuses at home.

The Pointless.3869

Also, if you’re a straight guy playing a female because you don’t want to stare at male meat cheeks for hours, why are you staring at male butts in the first place?

The question, really, is less why and more… how? Most male armours have something covering their backsides up. Unless said players have a habit of running around without pants at all times… o_O

Posted by: LadyHorus.8214

LadyHorus.8214

I’m more the opposite lol… I feel like the human females all have doll-like faces, and it’s very hard to make them look older than a 12 year old (well, aside from their barbie-like body proportions in most bodytypes). It’s just creepy. I managed to make my female ele and thief look in their 20s (like me) but some of those female faces look way too young, even from an artistic standpoint. And I love the more asian-style art direction… I just think they needed to mature the faces just a tad to match the bodies or something.

But as a female myself, that is what I look at when I’m making a character hah. I don’t care for the barbie proportions of the human models which is why I’ve only got 2 human characters. The rest are norn (3), sylvari (2) or my one female charr.

I don’t so much mind the revealing armor, since to me it is nothing compared to TERA or some other extreme MMO. Light armors are the only ones who really suffer from that anyway. For medium you have to try hard to find the right pieces if you want skimpy stuff, and heavy is pretty limited too. Overall I would say that Anet was pretty tasteful in most of the armor designs honestly. It is a breath of fresh air. And even the ones which are revealing in some way, have a very nice artistic aesthetic to them. I even love the T3 heavy for norn females just because the design of the armor is interesting, even if it is revealing.

Rosangela Marie: 80 Mesmer • Rosangela: 80 Elementalist
MAGUUMA
My Artworks! - Lady Horus Gaming

(edited by LadyHorus.8214)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Female all the way. If my armour could be invisible I would make it so. Anet bikini’s plz!

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Joote.4081

Joote.4081

I thought that all male characters were NPC’s. So what you are saying is that there are some real people that play as male characters? Now that’s just weird.

Posted by: Darius.1430

Darius.1430

Playing female characters is much like a gateway drug… it led me to crossdressing IRL, and then barred from family.

Cross play responsibly

Posted by: Fenar.4025

Fenar.4025

Eh, only the norn males look uglier than the females to me (both in terms of physical models and armor). Just fix their shoulders/necks, ANet… it’s not supposed to be triangular.

I agree. Norn males look like Gorillas. It is not a good look.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Also, if you’re a straight guy playing a female because you don’t want to stare at male meat cheeks for hours, why are you staring at male butts in the first place?

The question, really, is less why and more… how? Most male armours have something covering their backsides up. Unless said players have a habit of running around without pants at all times… o_O

You say armours, but you also say pants. I’m really confused.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

The Pointless.3869

Generally, my use of British English terms tends to leave me spending the next few posts explaining them. Spellings, on the other hand, tend to go unnoticed.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Generally, my use of British English terms tends to leave me spending the next few posts explaining them. Spellings, on the other hand, tend to go unnoticed.

So tell me, by Pants, did you mean underwear? Or by Armour, did you mean Armor?

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

The Pointless.3869

So tell me, by Pants, did you mean underwear? Or by Armour, did you mean Armor?

…By “pants” I meant “trousers,” or in GW ‘s case, leg armour, and yes, I meant “armor.” -_-’

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Female characters do not look better than male characters. It is a matter of preference is all.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Dunno. I play Charrs mostly (The Master Race), I like both genders for that specific case.

But @OP – I think Norn females have the advantage in here when it comes to medium armors especially.

As it stands for Plant people – they look the same and I can’t imagine someone rolling one for starring on salad’s bumper.

As for Humans – It’s hard to create a male who doesn’t look like a teenager. GW1 didn’t have that problem. Maybe because of anime-like design I just don’t like being something in between female and male.
Female is obvious – Front bumpy bumpers, rear bumper, most “sexy” armors avalible. I don’t find pixels sexy though and prefer real life shapes, but can’t speak for others. Typical MMO choice.

Asura – meh. Never really liked rat people.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I disagree unless you are talking about norn because I don’t like the gorilla physic though dose make them look less human or charr because I don’t like the ott fangs which make it look like they can’t even close their mouth though if they removed that the men would have more interesting faces.
Human females look like dolls and physically weak. Slyvari men have far more interesting faces than the women. A lot of the female asura look “cute” which I hate. Men have better armour as usual and it only gets a pass because it is better than 90% of mmos.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

if i am going to spend long hours looking at a character’s behind

Question is, why exactly are you staring at their behinds to begin with…?

Posted by: SnidgetAsphodel.7961

SnidgetAsphodel.7961

This just in: If you are male and don’t look like a hairy ape, you belong in a boy band…

Okay.

Cyro Renze – 80 Human Ranger
So Unprofessional [SUP] – Crystal Desert
“Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.”

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

Stating its genetically “programmed” really shows that you actually do not grasp sexual attraction at all. There are far more factors in attraction, genetics only plays a small part in it. (I.E Homosexuality, where as one would not be attracted to the same gender)

In regards to this argument though I always laughed when people claimed the reason why they played females, but the fact the matter is most of those games had capes or robes, which covered the back end region anyway.

Actually, it isn’t necessarily genetics per say, but gender roles. He is right, hundreds of years ago strength was a quality of good males and fertility was one for females (not so much anymore considering technology, but you can bet good looks and strength will help ;P). It still is but there are more factors to attraction now since gender roles are not set in stone and change depending on the era. You can still bet though that money is a huge attraction, but I digress.

As for the debate of playing or not playing females, glorified lingerie or not, I say to each his own. I play some females because some roles, I believe, can fit the personality or looks of a certain race/gender. For example, I can’t think of any other race being a Necro besides Asura/Charr, it’s just what pops up in my head when I think “Necro”. However when I think of Engineer I think of a male Charr or male Human.

The whole debacle of: “Oh I play female characters because I enjy staring at female butt’s than male butts” Is a bit silly but isn’t un-true. No, i’m not saying I enjoy getting my hormones in a bunch from pixels (far from it) but it’s just that genders simply enjoy looking at other genders. Nothing shameful about it.

As for the armors being better for females I disagree. There are A LOT of good looking male armors (Arah, All cultural, Pit fighter, etc) that I feel overwhelmed sometimes.

(edited by Zelkovan.2630)

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

It’s like that in pretty much every game, ever. The devs always put 100x more effort into female characters and clothes for whatever reason.
Even in real life, women’s clothing tends to be far more elaborate and well made.

Go to a local department store, and look for something like… a hoodie.
In the female section, you’ll find a bunch of form-fitted ones with elaborate designs covering them, faux-fur lining, and whatever other random crap like large cosmetic stitching across the sleeves.
Go to the male section and 99% of them will be plain, baggy hooded sweatshirts. If you’re lucky they might have a logo on the back.

I’m not a cross-dresser, but the whole thing kittens me off so much, I’ve actually been tempted before to look in the female clothing sections for clothes that don’t necessarily LOOK female.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Posted by: Redxon.6832

Redxon.6832

Looks like you are going through puberty OP! This will be a magical time of your life as you begin to notice females and the little things about them. I wish you luck!

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

This just in: If you are male and don’t look like a hairy ape, you belong in a boy band…

Okay.

There’s a severe lack of grungy or battered human male faces. All of them do have too smooth of skin and too soft of features. There simply isn’t enough diversity at present.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: arthurobenzi.2619

arthurobenzi.2619

It shouldn’t. It’s perfectly natural. Males are genetically programmed to be attracted to healthy female characteristics (unhealthy females tended to die during childbirth in past ages, so genes to ignore how a female looks got selected out). Just like females are genetically programmed to be attracted to males who are capable of protecting (strength) and providing for (wealth) a family. Nothing sexist about it. Those are just the traits which yielded a greater chance of survival of the offspring.

OTOH, if they treat you as if you’re nothing more than your physical or financial characteristics, that’s sexist.

Yes but other factors are induced by genetics. Sexual attraction is induced by sexual hormones. Recent research shows that individuals who just had normal dose of sexuals hormones during their embryonic development, are naturally heterosexual. Homosexual individuals undergoing abnormal hormone doses.
Either mutations are natural, such as blue eyes are from a genetic anomaly.

LadyHorus.8214

It’s like that in pretty much every game, ever. The devs always put 100x more effort into female characters and clothes for whatever reason.
Even in real life, women’s clothing tends to be far more elaborate and well made.

In the female section, you’ll find a bunch of form-fitted ones with elaborate designs covering them, faux-fur lining, and whatever other random crap like large cosmetic stitching across the sleeves.
Go to the male section and 99% of them will be plain, baggy hooded sweatshirts. If you’re lucky they might have a logo on the back.

I’m not a cross-dresser, but the whole thing kittens me off so much, I’ve actually been tempted before to look in the female clothing sections for clothes that don’t necessarily LOOK female.

Way I see it is (and this may come across as me stereotyping and I apologize) that men don’t tend to care so much about looks as females do. We spend so much time trying to look good wether that’s with makeup, hair, nails, clothing, hell handbags even and so on lol. It’s just because there is a bigger “market” for it with females than there is with males. Not all guys are the same nor are girls of course, I just think generally speaking that is the way it is.

Even though games are far from being marketed toward females, they still put a lot more into females perhaps because they know the (hetero) male gamer likes looking at them and dressing them up lol. With male characters you get “cool” looking armor or looks, where for females it’s geared more toward what looks sexy to males.

I for one probably would have liked the male norn had they not been designed to look like giant dwarves (contradiction I guess) but they made them bulky and huge to appeal to the types who want to have a huge powerful look. Like the Hulk or something I guess. Human males do look a bit more feminine but I don’t see that as a bad thing. I wish there were more variety in the shapes and looks of the faces for them, or I might have made one myself. Not all men are shaped like body builders and frankly that’s not attractive to me at all… so the male body shapes were a nice change in terms of what’s “the norm” in games. Same way I feel about the female norn and why I love them so much. Yes they’re very blessed in terms of their breasts xD but, their body shapes overall are much heftier and more interesting in my opinion. I wish they had more than 6 or so body shapes to choose from.

But I went on a tangent. All in all I guess what I’m getting at is that it just depends entirely on the audience they’re trying to cater for. Even though female gamers are becoming more and more common now games are still primarily aimed at hetero male gamers, thus design choices are more made for that stereotype I suppose.

MAGUUMA

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Yes but other factors are induced by genetics. Sexual attraction is induced by sexual hormones. Recent research shows that individuals who just had normal dose of sexuals hormones during their embryonic development, are naturally heterosexual. Homosexual individuals undergoing abnormal hormone doses.
Either mutations are natural, such as blue eyes are from a genetic anomaly.

That research has yet to be proven, I assume you are referring to the androgen research where the more children a female has the odds of it being a homosexual increases by 33% due to hormone deficiency.

But its not consistent with research because females remain the same sexuaility regardless of the hormones found during development.

Sexual attraction at this moment is a mere mystery, no concrete answer. It’s affected psychologically and physiologically.

(edited by Chase.8415)

Posted by: SnidgetAsphodel.7961

SnidgetAsphodel.7961

Way I see it is (and this may come across as me stereotyping and I apologize) that men don’t tend to care so much about looks as females do. We spend so much time trying to look good wether that’s with makeup, hair, nails, clothing, hell handbags even and so on lol. It’s just because there is a bigger “market” for it with females than there is with males. Not all guys are the same nor are girls of course, I just think generally speaking that is the way it is.

Even though games are far from being marketed toward females, they still put a lot more into females perhaps because they know the (hetero) male gamer likes looking at them and dressing them up lol. With male characters you get “cool” looking armor or looks, where for females it’s geared more toward what looks sexy to males.

I for one probably would have liked the male norn had they not been designed to look like giant dwarves (contradiction I guess) but they made them bulky and huge to appeal to the types who want to have a huge powerful look. Like the Hulk or something I guess. Human males do look a bit more feminine but I don’t see that as a bad thing. I wish there were more variety in the shapes and looks of the faces for them, or I might have made one myself. Not all men are shaped like body builders and frankly that’s not attractive to me at all… so the male body shapes were a nice change in terms of what’s “the norm” in games. Same way I feel about the female norn and why I love them so much. Yes they’re very blessed in terms of their breasts xD but, their body shapes overall are much heftier and more interesting in my opinion. I wish they had more than 6 or so body shapes to choose from.

But I went on a tangent. All in all I guess what I’m getting at is that it just depends entirely on the audience they’re trying to cater for. Even though female gamers are becoming more and more common now games are still primarily aimed at hetero male gamers, thus design choices are more made for that stereotype I suppose.

I agree with so much of this, and yet so much of it depresses me. Though I’m one of those girls that don’t typically care so much about handbags and hair products. lol

To add: frankly, I’m tired of the mindset that a guy can’t be “manly” (whatever the heck that really is) if they don’t have watermelon sized biceps. It’s not normal in real life to look like a body builder on steroids, but in games if you don’t look like that and you’re playing a male character, you’re not “manly” (god I hate that word) or you are “gay” (not bad thing, but another word tossed around so carelessly and often as a degrading insult, which is sad). It’s more than a little depressing and irritating. I’m glad they gave human males the option to NOT look like a steroid-addicted gorilla. It’s not something you often see in games.

Cyro Renze – 80 Human Ranger
So Unprofessional [SUP] – Crystal Desert
“Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.”

(edited by SnidgetAsphodel.7961)

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

I prefer male characters.
As a female player, I feel empowered by being able to play a strong, capable fighter. Running around with my breasts flouncing around and my skin exposed does the exact opposite—makes me feel like I’m just a tool for some 14-year-old nerd’s pleasure fantasy.
It’s easier to make a male character look strong and capable— it’s not a constant struggle to find something that doesn’t flash my breasts or show the shape of my bum. So, for human-like characters at least, I tend to make males. It’s just a lot of frustration off my shoulders.

That said, I did manage to make a female human guardian who looks quite tough. I used the biggest female body, and found armor that adds a lot of bulk to her frame without drawing attention to her breasts or her bum.

Roll a Norn Female. They look more masculine than human males.

Bellizare.5816

I would like it if I could use dyes on my female toon’s underwear. The defaults are just so ugly.

And also, the freekin boxers on the human males just look so wrong.

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

I would like it if I could use dyes on my female toon’s underwear. The defaults are just so ugly.

Would you prefer the tighty-whiteys?

The Pointless.3869

/me tosses in a vote for Faren’s red Speedos

Posted by: Equilibriator.8741

Equilibriator.8741

My issue with males is that the way they hold their two handed swords. As a fan of FF7 i want my character holding the sword aimed down, all male characters essentially hold them pointed up which i think looks stupid.

I really wish they allowed us to choose from stances (gem store maybe?) that affected how we held our weapons and ran with them.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Not all men are shaped like body builders and frankly that’s not attractive to me at all…

I’m an underweight teenage male, so that just made my day

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

I have two female humans, three female charr, and a female norn.

I don’t RP or anything. The only thing I care about is aesthetics, as you say females have the best looks in this game. I don’t understand why some people have such an aversion to playing characters of the opposite sex.

My fem charr thief is probably my favorite. She’s cute, she’s not girly, she’s not sexualized, and she is troll as can be.

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I honestly don’t know how the male members of the Pact talked so calmly to my necromancer who rocks COE chest, like you can give serious orders with that around

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: ammayhem.5962

ammayhem.5962

I wouldn’t say human female characters look great. That is, unless you like how their legs look like they’re from an 11 year old. o_0

I’ll agree though, human male faces look too much like they’re from a boy band.

Port Sledge University [PSU]
Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

I’m glad they gave human males the option to NOT look like a steroid-addicted gorilla. It’s not something you often see in games.

Ehhh… there are plenty of games of asian origin loaded with male characters that are so feminine they are nearly indistinguishable from females. Anything out of the east with at least a hint of anime aesthetic is packed with them.. Just like “steroid-addicted gorilla” is an idealized image that isn’t reflected in the everyday appearance of real-life men, so is the ubiquitous visage of feminine bishi-boys that dominates the asian MMO game scene.

Roll a Norn Female. They look more masculine than human males.

lol. That’s a joke. The norn females looks like barbie with an extra 10 pounds.

(edited by panzer.6034)

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I’ll agree though, human male faces look too much like they’re from a boy band.

Only if the sliders are not altered. To make any human face look older drop the chin/jaw making the face/head longer and less round.

Posted by: Yujin.1785

Yujin.1785

@OP

Because the guys look like guys (for the most part), while the women look like runaway super models. The biggest culprit are the female norns.

Bellizare.5816

Mostly it’s the fit. And I still would like to be able to dye them : >

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

Being a male IRL, I would never subject my male characters to the knife (turn them female)… feels so wrong somehow. I’d rather restart or make a new toon.

Fortunately, I knew what I liked from the get-go and created my main team as all sexy human ladies so no changes required except for the occasional hairstyle change.

LadyHorus.8214

@OP

Because the guys look like guys (for the most part), while the women look like runaway super models. The biggest culprit are the female norns.

Ehh not all norn faces look prissy though. only a few… and they pale in comparison to what we get with the human females. That is the biggest disappointment far as I’m concerned. And the bodies that don’t look like barbies, they seem to think small breasts = tummy or being thicker which couldn’t be further from the truth. They did well with the bodies for sylvari in this area mostly (though they are way too thin but at least it looks “consistent”) but humans… I dunno hah. I could never make a character to look like me, because the bodies are so strange. Not to mention the faces look like children for the most part.

The males might look like boy band members but I think the females got it worse.

MAGUUMA

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I play exclusively male toons, and I like all of their looks.

But I would pay to be able to choose some female animations.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I prefer my hot guys thank you very much.
Also, I can’t help but find the human females looking so arrogant. That idle stance with the head flick, I hate it.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss