Female human greatsword holding stance

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

Does anyone else dislike their running style?

It is like my character is barely dragging her greatsword while running and it seems so awkward.

It is the same with their jumping animation, it’s so weak. She’s a warrior for goodness sake!

Is it possible to change their walking animation, where they put the greatsword across their shoulders, to their running animation? Or change it to match the male human style?

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

Agreed, I think it really looks weak.
It’s like she can barely left it, while that might appeal to some I personally prefer the male human style too.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Yup, it looks weak.
Not surprised they went with it though, because it is still normal to view females as weaker than males. From a pure physical standpoint, we are weaker. However if a woman were to make a career in a very physical profession – it would be safe to assume that they’d develop the necessary muscle mass and endurance to excel. Strangely, even in a fantasy world like GW2, when a female character is in a soldier class (Warrior/Guardian) – they can only just keep the blade from dragging behind them.

Do I like it? Nope.
Do I expect ArenaNet to fix it? Nope.
Why? Because its trivial compared to so many other things that need to be addressed.

Still I thank the OP for bringing the subject up.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

The animation is far more realistic than the male version tho

armor that reveals skin is not ok because of realism
Then realism is not ok as well because doesnt look fantasy style over the top strong enough

Cant please the audience, eh

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

I think it fits, considering females (in most cases) are not as strong as males, and since greatswords are like as big as your character or bigger seems logical. I actually like it better. Seems like it’s more prepared for a strike compared to the over the shoulder with males

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Don’t understand the problem .. is there any difference to norn that i never have noticed
even since i have norn and human guardians and warriors ?

Also even Male Orks in Lineage 2 used to run around with a greatsword like that.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Does anyone else dislike their running style?

It is like my character is barely dragging her greatsword while running and it seems so awkward.

It is the same with their jumping animation, it’s so weak. She’s a warrior for goodness sake!

Is it possible to change their walking animation, where they put the greatsword across their shoulders, to their running animation? Or change it to match the male human style?

Well in all fairness the human female models look like that is exactly how they would HAVE to carry it. However, the over the should look would be really cool.

For that matter, I wonder if Anet will ever add a feature that allows players to select what animation they want to use for their character. I would be willing to buy it in the gem store if need be.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The female Greatsword animations actually make a lot more sense than the male ones, really. Holding a greatsword up in the air while running, particularly one as big as many of the GW2 greatswords are, would be a bad idea. Even if you had enough muscle to do it, you’d still be straining yourself unnecessarily. Holding it up in the air like that is actually more awkward than holding it down.

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

I like it and purposely made my Mesmer into a female for that (among other reasons).

Posted by: Mileinnor.7125

Mileinnor.7125

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Female-Greatsword-Animation
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/human/Human-female-greatsword
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/lore/human/Human-Female-Greatsword-Stance

The above are several topics on the human female greatsword stance. According to several posters, the human female greatsword stance is the actually a correct practical stance in the real world. Personally, I think it suits for females due to the use of skill rather than brute force.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Blame Final Fantasy and it’s ilk for the inspiration for such “poses”. I have seen worse though, so I don’t really have an opinion.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I prefer the female style. It maker her weapon look more powerful imo.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

It’s not that she’s too weak, it’s that the weapon is so heavy that it takes strength just to keep it off the ground. Then when she goes to 100blades with it it’s like HOLY KITTEN she’s strong swinging around a 25 kilo weapon like that.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Kit.3986

Kit.3986

The male version looks silly and dumb, I’d rather have the female animation across all my male characters. At least the female animations give the weapon weight and power, the male ones make it seem light and ineffective.

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

All a matter of personal preference as usual. However, I like the female greatsword stance much more. I was running around on my human male ranger with a greatsword last night, and I was really reminded of how awkward it looked (IMO).

Realistically speaking you would put something like that over your shoulder to balance it (not to mention its a good stance for a first attack). If you held it under you (like female) it would drag on the floor. If you held it straight up in front of you it would be extremely hard to balance while moving even if you were very strong.

Luckily this is fantasy and we can do whatever we want :P

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

Posted by: Luggernaut.6785

Luggernaut.6785

Yup, it looks weak.
Not surprised they went with it though, because it is still normal to view females as weaker than males. From a pure physical standpoint, we are weaker. However if a woman were to make a career in a very physical profession – it would be safe to assume that they’d develop the necessary muscle mass and endurance to excel. Strangely, even in a fantasy world like GW2, when a female character is in a soldier class (Warrior/Guardian) – they can only just keep the blade from dragging behind them.

Do I like it? Nope.
Why? Because its trivial compared to so many other things that need to be addressed.

Yet the female will never be as strong as the male. Simple biology.

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Weak? Rly? No, rly?
http://puu.sh/aHt3s/dbd6702d22.jpg
This huge metal stub must weigh more than her twice at least. It is surprising that she is able to pick it up AT ALL. And probably 95% of GW2’s GS are like that. And even bigger. At least a hint of realism, for me/

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Or, they could do like I was saying months ago and just making running and walking animations something you can ‘choose’, just like your hair or your face. Might even be a way to make some more cash shop money for them.

And after you add all the strong walks and runs and two handed sword animations that people want, I’d like my original running animation back please. If you must, charge me $20 bucks to buy it back.

I’m not a big fan of all this ‘us vs them’ changes, and that’s really what this devolves into. I’m ‘totally’ happy for everyone to get the armor they want, the strong running they want, whatever it is. It doesn’t have to come at the expense or loss of choices and options for other people.

Unless the whole point is to take away the options, then I find the whole thing intolerant and hypocritical.

Though, healthy and appropriate is their new motto.

I’d like my shorts back too, thank you very much.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Yup, it looks weak.

Do I like it? Nope.

Not to get too technical but no, it is not simple biology. The biological fact is some males have the potential to be stronger if they train hard. simply put, the blanket statement “males are stronger than females” is complete bullkitten… unless you believe that the elite male strength athletes make up the entire male population. There are females out there that lift 400lbs at 125lbs bodyweight and look like twigs.

If you actually had a clue, you’d know there are a great many incredibly strong female athletes that are stronger than 90% of both untrained and trained male athletes out there pound for pound.

TL:DR a female that trains will be extremely strong.

Peace.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

I kind of wish my male would hold it like that. I mean c’mon, if I’m holding a few hundred pounds I’m not going to hold it as vertically as I can 24/7.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Greatswords shouldn’t be weighing a few hundred pounds of course. Historically, they were considered heavy and impractical if they went over 8 pounds.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

The Asuran animation trumps ’em all.

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

i prefer the male animation for gs to the female, kinda wish norn males had the same………..yes, it’s impractical, yes the female animation is more practical……but it looks so much more kitten to be carrying that giant piece of steel straight up as you charge into a fight

Fix what you have before you build something new

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Please no, I like the female GS holding stance.

If I wanted a male stance, I would use a male character.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Greatswords shouldn’t be weighing a few hundred pounds of course. Historically, they were considered heavy and impractical if they went over 8 pounds.

And historically, they weren’t necessarily used for the edge but for the point. Sort of like a spear with a potential cutting edge along the blade . . .

But that’s not what people expect so that’s not what we get. Also, I have a long rapier with a basket hilt I got when I thought it’d be a cool thing to add to my ren faire outfit. It’s pretty heavy to hold out at arm’s length let alone to swing it. I’m not sure on the weight, want to say about five points but not any more than ten.

Unless females have really brawny arms I don’t expect them to be swinging a big hunk of iron vaguely resembling a sword like Cloud Strife does.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Yeah I wish I had the choice to choose some male animations for my female human warrior. Norn female animations are a lot tighter, though. I may just level one up in the meantime, already got a load of skins.

Manasa Devi.7958

And historically, they weren’t necessarily used for the edge but for the point. Sort of like a spear with a potential cutting edge along the blade . . .

But that’s not what people expect so that’s not what we get.

Actually, it is what I expect, and that’s why I consider the vast majority of GW2’s greatswords complete and utter worthless dreck.

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

Okay I see people here saying greatswords are really heavy and big lumps of metal. If you’re talking about surfboards with a grip. Yes.
If not: greatswords weigh approx 2 to 2.5kg with about half the weight in the grip/crossguard/pommel. So no, they are not heavy. Carrieng an unwieldy, heavy weapon into battle is like buying a ticket to a certain death.

I don’t like the stance myself, but I can live with it.

To the people saying “oh, it’s too heavy for my character to just lift it up in the air because it’s so heavy. So she must wear it to the side.”
I am just going to point you to the picture below that cancels that whole argument out.
(on a sidenote, get your greasy fingers off that blade.)

EDIT:

But that’s not what people expect so that’s not what we get. Also, I have a long rapier with a basket hilt I got when I thought it’d be a cool thing to add to my ren faire outfit. It’s pretty heavy to hold out at arm’s length let alone to swing it. I’m not sure on the weight, want to say about five points but not any more than ten.

Unless females have really brawny arms I don’t expect them to be swinging a big hunk of iron vaguely resembling a sword like Cloud Strife does.

If your sword’s balance point is incorrect it will be unwieldy and difficult to swing around, a sword should be an extension of your arm. Also I assume you are talking about a onehanded sword?
They are not much lighter than twohanded swords and require more strenght to wield as you carry the blade with one hand instead of spreading the weight over two hands.

Attachments:

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

(edited by Curae.1837)

Morsus.5106

According to Wikipedia’s article on Longswords,
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword)
a longsword weigh anywhere between 2.4-4.0 pounds. Compare the sword from that article to something like this
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bandit_Sunderer
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dark_Asuran_Greatsword
And you’ll see why they weight so much more.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Actually, it is what I expect, and that’s why I consider the vast majority of GW2’s greatswords complete and utter worthless dreck.

Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer.

That’s what the majority of people who see a sword 5 feet long think of.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Manasa Devi.7958

a longsword weigh anywhere between 2.4-4.0 pounds. Compare the sword from that article to something like this

I realize that the weapons in the game look like they’re ridiculously heavy. That’s why I said “Greatswords shouldn’t be weighing a few hundred pounds of course.” In the game, they do seem to weigh that much, for reasons only teenage boys can fathom.

Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer.

That’s what the majority of people who see a sword 5 feet long think of.

I realize that’s what you meant. I just felt I needed to distance myself from that.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I have a female ranger and guardian, but have never really had a problem with their greatsword stance. I think it’s kind of cool, how they run with it. Sorry you don’t like it, but it’s no reason to freak out.

Morsus.5106

I realize that the weapons in the game look like they’re ridiculously heavy. That’s why I said “Greatswords shouldn’t be weighing a few hundred pounds of course.” In the game, they do seem to weigh that much, for reasons only teenage boys can fathom.

As a teenage boy, I can say not even I understand it. The weightiest greatsword I use is Ebonblade.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I don’t think that it is that bad but people need to consider that perhaps these blades are using different material, especially the legendary’s!
I kinda like their stance actually and I hope they don’t change it

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Okay I see people here saying greatswords are really heavy and big lumps of metal. If you’re talking about surfboards with a grip. Yes.
If not: greatswords weigh approx 2 to 2.5kg with about half the weight in the grip/crossguard/pommel. So no, they are not heavy. Carrieng an unwieldy, heavy weapon into battle is like buying a ticket to a certain death.

Yes.

Also, I have a long rapier with a basket hilt I got when I thought it’d be a cool thing to add to my ren faire outfit. It’s pretty heavy to hold out at arm’s length let alone to swing it. I’m not sure on the weight, want to say about five points but not any more than ten.

If your sword’s balance point is incorrect it will be unwieldy and difficult to swing around, a sword should be an extension of your arm. Also I assume you are talking about a onehanded sword?

I am. It’s blade is roughly . . . thirty-five or so inches long (I may be longer by an inch) and it’s not thick really – less than a quarter-inch for most of it. I haven’t weighed it yet but the length of the blade is what makes it hard for me to really hold out for very long.

I can’t speak for balance so much, but personally . . . I can’t really use it. My arms are not ‘built’ for that yet, and I’m decidedly untrained in how to really hold or work with it. Most of the problem is the weight is focused near the grip but the length means I still have to watch an extra eight inches or so of blade and that messes me up more.

Right now, it’s waiting for me to give it a cleaning and it’ll probably be used as a costume piece. I’ll carry my wooden sword if I really want to use something or get practice. I’ve thought about having a big hand-and-half sword but after trying to hold one and then seeing how I’d have to carry it? No thank you.

Most of this is just me going “yes, I know what swords usually weigh and have looked into a little casually on how they’re handled”. Seeing someone hold a sword off to the side like that seems plausible if they’re having to be moving often or moving with speed – it keeps it out of the way

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Also, can I say how glad we don’t have these:

Rathalos Firesword

Brunhild

Akantor Broadsword

Note, though, those seem to mostly be bone. Or other “organic” materials, still probably pretty darn heavy.

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I am. It’s blade is roughly . . . thirty-five or so inches long (I may be longer by an inch) and it’s not thick really – less than a quarter-inch for most of it. I haven’t weighed it yet but the length of the blade is what makes it hard for me to really hold out for very long.

I can’t speak for balance so much, but personally . . . I can’t really use it. My arms are not ‘built’ for that yet, and I’m decidedly untrained in how to really hold or work with it. Most of the problem is the weight is focused near the grip but the length means I still have to watch an extra eight inches or so of blade and that messes me up more.

The balance point sounds good actually, lenght of the blade doesn’t seem outrageous either. And well, wielding swords mostly takes on the underarms from moving the sword around using your wrist, which is not a movement often made (with something heavy in your hands), so it can take quite some getting used to.

Right now, it’s waiting for me to give it a cleaning and it’ll probably be used as a costume piece. I’ll carry my wooden sword if I really want to use something or get practice. I’ve thought about having a big hand-and-half sword but after trying to hold one and then seeing how I’d have to carry it? No thank you.

Uncertain what you mean by ‘how I’d have to carry it’. You mean in battle? Because there are a lot of guard-stances. And if not in battle you can wear it on your side for ‘quick-draw’ or on your back for ‘travel’.

Most of this is just me going “yes, I know what swords usually weigh and have looked into a little casually on how they’re handled”. Seeing someone hold a sword off to the side like that seems plausible if they’re having to be moving often or moving with speed – it keeps it out of the way

It is plausible although I personally dislike the animation, but hey, that’s why I have a keybind to stow my weapon. ^^

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Ya. I think it looks like female humans can barely carry their sword. On all races, along with males, the greatswords still look heavy, which I like, however, on the female humans, it reminds me one of those anime scenes where the stereotypical “kawaii” girl is struggling to carry her heavy bag to school while chasing after her Senpai.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Since we can walk with them up on our shoulder… Don’t see why running would be a problem

Attachments:

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Since we can walk with them up on our shoulder… Don’t see why running would be a problem

There is so much more wrong in that picture than having that on your shoulder.

. . . I mean, those shoes?

Morsus.5106

Also, can I say how glad we don’t have these:

Rathalos Firesword

Brunhild

Akantor Broadsword

Note, though, those seem to mostly be bone. Or other “organic” materials, still probably pretty darn heavy.

The difference is that the characters in Monster Hunter actually hold their huge weapons as if they weighed something.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

The difference is that the characters in Monster Hunter actually hold their huge weapons as if they weighed something.

Still unrealistically huge for some all-metal weapons. Some of them are made of bone, fangs, and such . . . then you have, well, others which look like they’re a boat rudder with a sword grip. I don’t get the aesthetic attraction.

. . . I need to find my PSP now, I have to go kill some Nargas for fun to remind me what it’s really like to fight a “dragon”. (I wish they had the Shatterer more like the fight against a Fatalis-family dragon, rather than Lao Shan-Lung . . . or Shen Gaoren.)

All seriousness, if battles could have that level of activity and response time required, I’d be having a blast. Just . . . don’t copy Plessy’s hip check hit zone.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Yup, it looks weak.

Do I like it? Nope.

In general, yes. However I know quite a few women that are stronger than most men. There will always be exceptions to every rule.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

silly thread actually. the female stance is the correct way.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

If you’ve seen any samurai movie, that’s how they hold it.

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Friends, just do not compare this http://puu.sh/aI8lL/2735dd9bd8.jpg and this http://puu.sh/aI8cn/3c0e184e22.jpg
There is no “realistic” and light two-handed swords. The local swords, often, bigger than their owner.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Judging by the other high fantasy media I have consumed in my lifetime, I am inclined to agree that it is a reasonable way to run with a large sword (per the genre), and suggesting that the developers intentionally painted females as weaker based on these assertions is silly. Less bad-kitten looking? Maybe, though I find humans overall kind of lackluster as it is.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: ironhammer.7320

ironhammer.7320

The female stance is actually a Great sword or well more a long sword stance used back in medieval times. While it does appear to look like the woman can not hold the sword, this is the idea behind the while stance, to appear weak and unable to wield the weapon.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/StancesIntro.htm#.U-Mba_ldWls

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Same applies to all humanoids, all use same animation.

Well, I agree with the female stance being the correct one too.

There’s also the problem that humanoids animations, seem to swing the any weapon as if they’re sticks, with no apparent weight in their swings, which looks ridiculous in my opinion…

Hopefully all races get their own animations and also reasonable ones, not swinging with sticks!

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

(edited by FrostSpectre.4198)

Posted by: Arimik.2460

Arimik.2460

the human female’s greatsword stance is realistic and on par with an actual sword stance.

That which does not kill me, has made a tactical error.