Festivals for the Rest of Us

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raeat.1026

Raeat.1026

Now that Wintersday and the New year have been made primarily human festivals set in Divinity’s Reach, and now that we have SAB as an Asuran right of passage event, would it be possible to make events for the other races? Could Meatoberfest be expanded with competitive games and such in the Black Citadel? How about some sort of festival the multitude of animal spirits in Hoelbrak. A spring festival in the Grove might work, perhaps as an aspect of The Dream.

Even half-kittened festivals for Quaggans and Skritt (they are trying so hard to be taken seriously) would flesh out Tyria very nicely. Skritt toss anyone? I like this game world. I want to see it grow.

(edited by Raeat.1026)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

We do need more festivals, and I think the end of HoT should be the origin of a sylvari festival. (Well, maybe not a “festival”, but… It’s a day they should remember.)

Personally, I love the idea of a skritt festival. It could be something odd, silly, and more than a little dangerous.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

*reads thread title

Attachments:

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

On topic: I like how the Super Adventure Box is now an anual asuran festival. More stuff like that would be welcome in my book!

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

*reads thread title

No festivals for you! Come back, one year.

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

We do need more festivals, and I think the end of HoT should be the origin of a sylvari festival. (Well, maybe not a “festival”, but… It’s a day they should remember.)

Personally, I love the idea of a skritt festival. It could be something odd, silly, and more than a little dangerous.

Make is the equivalent of July 4th on the Tyrian calendar. We don’t have a fourth event, and that’s perfectly fitting. The day sylvari gained true independence from their tyrannical creator. Independence Day, or Sylvan Independence Day, to clarify in the world between the races. Idk

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Posted by: Tringsh.2380

Tringsh.2380

DRAGON BASH!!!!!!!

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

Make is the equivalent of July 4th on the Tyrian calendar. We don’t have a fourth event, and that’s perfectly fitting. The day sylvari gained true independence from their tyrannical creator. Independence Day, or Sylvan Independence Day, to clarify in the world between the races. Idk

Pah! No everything revolves around the U.S.A.. For the rest of the world, the 4th of July is meaningless, especially for us Europeans. Find a better, more important day in the calendar to celebrate.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Now that Wintersday and the New year have been made primarily human festivals set in Divinity’s Reach, and now that we have SAB as an Asuran right of passage event, would it be possible to make events for the other races? Could Meatoberfest be expanded with competitive games and such in the Black Citadel? How about some sort of festival the multitude of animal spirits in Hoelbrak. A spring festival in the Grove might work, perhaps as an aspect of The Dream.

Even half-kittened festivals for Quaggans and Skritt (they are trying so hard to be taken seriously) would flesh out Tyria very nicely. Skritt toss anyone? I like this game world. I want to see it grow.

I suggested something like this maybe a year ago now, if not longer that we should have more festivals, racial or otherwise, why not have summer fest in summer? harvest one in autumn or w/ever, but its something they could cycle through during content drought. I think the festivals in gw2 are too specific to real world events and can’t be put on at any time to just provide some filler entertainment. We need something purely gw2 oriented, like the dragon bash or Labyrinthine cliffs for eg that can be thrown into the game at any time.

Posted by: ankh.2310

ankh.2310

While Independence Day may be an American holiday, there are other countries that have holidays to celebrate there freedom. I think it would make sense for sylvari to celebrate the day they were freed from the jungle dragons control. Also I think meatober fest would be an awesome holiday and the norn could have the king of all moots once a year.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m not sure how much impact Mordremoth’s death actually had on the majority of sylvari. If I’ve understood the timeline correctly it was a matter of months between him corrupting the first of them (excluding Scarlet) and the Pact killing him. And it was only some of the sylvari who got close enough – those who went into the jungle – who were corrupted. We didn’t see corrupted sylvari in the Grove, let alone the rest of tyria.

Obviously it was a big deal for our characters and their allies who were right there fighting him, but for most people in Tyria, including most of the sylvari I think Mordremoth was more like a vague and distant threat. Certainly something to be concerned about but not at all comparable to gaining independence from a tyrannical foreign power that has dominated your nation since it’s inception.

On a more general note I agree that Tyria could do with more festivals. I actually think all MMOs would benefit from regular lore-themed festivals, ideally ones that don’t coincide with real-world festivals so players are more likely to be free to get online. (Not that I’m bitter about missing almost every single Wintersday finale in GW1 because I’m never home at New Years.)

Wintersday and Halloween have always been mainly human festivals (mainly because they originated in GW1 where humans were the only playable race), in Eye of the North we saw the norn and to a lesser extent asura being introduced to the festival and it seems to have spread from there. But it would be nice to see some themed around the other races.

Personally I think the neo-pagan system of having events equally spaced throughout the year would work well. Although I’m not suggesting they need to be themed on the seasons, but it means they don’t get all clumped together.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

I wish SAB was here more often… it’s my favorite game mode

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’m thinking a weekly festival, celebrated right at the start of the weekend. Wherein, we set ablaze Mordrem in effigy. Or Nightmare Court. Or that one Sylvari nearby giving me suspicious looks.

I call it Fry Day. It will be great.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Torzini.1523

Torzini.1523

MEATOBERFEST!!!!!!

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Yes, we definitely need more festivals, especially ones coinciding with the other races. Halloween/Mad King’s Day is the only one I now bother participating in since it’s the most interesting and varied. And why isn’t there a summer festival?

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

SAB – retro gaming adventure brought to you by an Asura (in Rata Sum)

Wintersday – gift giving holiday brought to you by an Asura (now only in Divinity’s Reach)

I look forward to future events in other cities created by your overlords…the Asura.

P.S. Don’t forget to thank your overlords daily for their travel gates and maintaining of the fast travel waypoints.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

*reads thread title

No festivals for you! Come back, one year.

Worlds collide Jerry!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I’m not sure how much impact Mordremoth’s death actually had on the majority of sylvari. If I’ve understood the timeline correctly it was a matter of months between him corrupting the first of them (excluding Scarlet) and the Pact killing him. And it was only some of the sylvari who got close enough – those who went into the jungle – who were corrupted. We didn’t see corrupted sylvari in the Grove, let alone the rest of tyria.

Obviously it was a big deal for our characters and their allies who were right there fighting him, but for most people in Tyria, including most of the sylvari I think Mordremoth was more like a vague and distant threat. Certainly something to be concerned about but not at all comparable to gaining independence from a tyrannical foreign power that has dominated your nation since it’s inception.

How bout then, assuming the Pale Tree recovers, the Sylvari create a new festival around that. Their Pale Tree, mother, protector etc.. was attacked by an Elder Dragon and recovered. I think that would be more than enough grounds for a celebration and new annual sylvari holiday (if they have holidays that is).