Fighting cats in home instance

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

As a self-professed animal lover, you have to understand that cats are intelligent creatures. They’re curious about the world around them, and their own bodies. Kittens (and many other kinds of life on earth) tend to discover these kinds of things through play with their peers.

Get a couple of kittens of your own – you’ll notice they do the same thing!

TL;DL: They aren’t fighting for bloodsport. They’re fighting for fun, exercise and hunting training.

This is a game. We don’t need to understand how real cats do things or get some for ourselves.

And it really shows….

You can’t have it both ways. Either they’re pixels in a video game world with different standards, and placing our standards on them is foolish. Or something is appalling by real world standards, in which case you should know what you’re talking about.

Making a big deal over a video game thing, and then going back to say “it’s a game”, doesn’t work because you just reduced your point to its logical conclusion: You’re making a big deal over nothing.

So if you say, the actual behavior of actual cats doesn’t matter, then what does? In-series canon information?

No, I’m saying that I can be irritated by something in my “Home” instance whether it is realistic or not.

Which is an empty argument. People can be irritated for any reason. Whether or not that irritation should be catered to depends on how rational it is. Maybe the color red offends me. Do I get the right to demand resources to get rid of red in the game?f there way to be as inclusive as they can. Well, guess it truly is impossible sometimes.

If you don’t want to have a logical discussion, just say so. I’m not suggesting that these cats be removed from the game. People have no way of knowing beforehand that these cats would behave in this manner unless they do some research. Even the wiki doesn’t say how bad the fighting is. From reading the wiki one might think that it WOULD be normal cat play fighting, not knocking each other across the room with loud impact sounds.

My suggestion is that I would like a means of controlling MY Home Instance. Not just for this reason but also because it is MY Home Instance so it would be nice to be able to control it in various ways.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

A question to those opposed to the fighting cats: have you killed any tigers or other big cats in this game? Just curious where the line is.

As I have already stated in this thread:

I could live in the middle of the Serengeti and yet not allow my pets to fight on my property. Military personnel bring service dogs into combat but don’t allow them to fight with other pets on their property.

Whether or not there is violence involving cats elsewhere in the game, these are pet cats in a place that is called my “Home”. Hopefully people can understand the difference.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

As a self-professed animal lover, you have to understand that cats are intelligent creatures. They’re curious about the world around them, and their own bodies. Kittens (and many other kinds of life on earth) tend to discover these kinds of things through play with their peers.

TL;DL: They aren’t fighting for bloodsport. They’re fighting for fun, exercise and hunting training.

This is a game. We don’t need to understand how real cats do things or get some for ourselves.

And it really shows….

You can’t have it both ways. Either they’re pixels in a video game world with different standards, and placing our standards on them is foolish. Or something is appalling by real world standards, in which case you should know what you’re talking about.

Making a big deal over a video game thing, and then going back to say “it’s a game”, doesn’t work because you just reduced your point to its logical conclusion: You’re making a big deal over nothing.

So if you say, the actual behavior of actual cats doesn’t matter, then what does? In-series canon information?

No, I’m saying that I can be irritated by something in my “Home” instance whether it is realistic or not.

Which is an empty argument. People can be irritated for any reason. Whether or not that irritation should be catered to depends on how rational it is. Maybe the color red offends me. Do I get the right to demand resources to get rid of red in the game?f there way to be as inclusive as they can. Well, guess it truly is impossible sometimes.

If you don’t want to have a logical discussion, just say so.

Oh, I do. It’s just that I haven’t seen any to argue with. Like I said in the part you cut out, usually you need some actual frame of reference over an emotional reaction— inherently illogical without.

I’m not suggesting that these cats be removed from the game. People have no way of knowing beforehand that these cats would behave in this manner unless they do some research. Even the wiki doesn’t say how bad the fighting is. From reading the wiki one might think that it WOULD be normal cat play fighting, not knocking each other across the room with loud impact sounds.

Let me get this straight. Knowing what you’re talking about is irrelevant to a discussion, because 10 minutes of googling isn’t convenient?

Look, we’re not talking about writing a research paper here. Personal experience, or consulting people with real world experience here. It’s also find to not know something. But when people with real world experience interject and you ignore this information with no logical refutation, then it’s clear you’re not here to have a “logical discussion”. It’s in fact, anti-intellectualism at its finest.

Why is it so hard to admit that you don’t know something and you could stand to learn something new? I understand that’s the culture of the internet, but still.

My suggestion is that I would like a means of controlling MY Home Instance. Not just for this reason but also because it is MY Home Instance so it would be nice to be able to control it in various ways.

And this is a game played by US and home instances don’t just apply to YOU. If you want people with limited resources to cater specifically to you, you need a very strong argument.

What if I say, well, you brought back a bunch of cats of your own volition; nobody forced you to put them there. You shouldn’t have a right to dictate what they do in that manner? I think you’re abusing them. I don’t think this option should exist at all. Then Anet would have even more trouble.

It is fine to argue for home instance customization, sure. But on these grounds, and especially when you toss other people’s knowledge out of the window doesn’t make for good discussion.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Djinn.9245

And it really shows….

Oh, I do. It’s just that I haven’t seen any to argue with. Like I said in the part you cut out, usually you need some actual frame of reference over an emotional reaction— inherently illogical without.

I’m not suggesting that these cats be removed from the game. People have no way of knowing beforehand that these cats would behave in this manner unless they do some research. Even the wiki doesn’t say how bad the fighting is. From reading the wiki one might think that it WOULD be normal cat play fighting, not knocking each other across the room with loud impact sounds.

Let me get this straight. Knowing what you’re talking about is irrelevant to a discussion, because 10 minutes of googling isn’t convenient?

My comment that people don’t know beforehand is about a person feeding a cat without understanding how it will behave in their Home Instance. Not about having a discussion.

And this is a game played by US and home instances don’t just apply to YOU. If you want people with limited resources to cater specifically to you, you need a very strong argument.

What if I say, well, you brought back a bunch of cats of your own volition, and you shouldn’t have a right to dictate what they do in that manner? I think you’re abusing them. I don’t think this option should exist at all. Then Anet would have even more trouble.

I’m not trying to dictate what the cats do, not sure where you got the idea that I was.. My suggestion was to have toggles to be able to choose which options are active or not in the Home Instance.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

And it really shows….

My comment that people don’t know beforehand is about a person feeding a cat without understanding how it will behave in their Home Instance. Not about having a discussion.

What if I say, well, you brought back a bunch of cats of your own volition, and you shouldn’t have a right to dictate what they do in that manner? I think you’re abusing them. I don’t think this option should exist at all. Then Anet would have even more trouble.

I’m not trying to dictate what the cats do, not sure where you got the idea that I was.. My suggestion was to have toggles to be able to choose which options are active or not in the Home Instance.

Not allowing the cats to engage in behavior they usually do because of what you want isn’t?

Also, please don’t backpedal. First off this topic is about fighting cats. You claim that you’re not talking about cats and your argument is about customizing home instances yet you are dismissing people talking about cats…. and customizing home instances wasn’t even the topic of discussion.

How do you explain this:

If your argument was really just about home instance customization, there would have no need to post something like that and we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

A question to those opposed to the fighting cats: have you killed any tigers or other big cats in this game? Just curious where the line is.

As I have already stated in this thread:

I could live in the middle of the Serengeti and yet not allow my pets to fight on my property. Military personnel bring service dogs into combat but don’t allow them to fight with other pets on their property.

Whether or not there is violence involving cats elsewhere in the game, these are pet cats in a place that is called my “Home”. Hopefully people can understand the difference.

But it isn’t a “home”. The name is misleading. Do you allow strangers into your home? I don’t. There are dozens of people and animals in my “home” instance, none of whom – with the exception of the cats – that I actually invited there. They wander about, ignoring me, in my own “home”. There’s nothing homely about it.

All that is moot, of course, because you’re missing the much bigger issue. You’re a murderer. We all are. And not just on a small scale. You know that “home” of yours with all your cats in it? Well, when you leave… it ceases to exist. All those cats cease to exist. And when you come back in.. that’s a different home, with different cats. Each time you go in and out, you’re ending the lives of everything and everyone in there. It’s a daily genocide. And the cats know it. Animals are perceptive about these things. They know they don’t have long to live, and they work out that stress by fighting.

What else can they do?

Posted by: Cyndercat.5120

Cyndercat.5120

I wish home instance was more customizable too but to do so for this reason seems unreasonable oversensitive. I mean you are playing an MMO where you kill animals ALL the time….

So you don’t see the distinction between hunting / killing animals in the wild and not liking to see your pets fight?

I guess we should give the option to delete the entire ranger class too then if seeing pets fight is a problem.

Djinn.9245

I wish home instance was more customizable too but to do so for this reason seems unreasonable oversensitive. I mean you are playing an MMO where you kill animals ALL the time….

So you don’t see the distinction between hunting / killing animals in the wild and not liking to see your pets fight?

I guess we should give the option to delete the entire ranger class too then if seeing pets fight is a problem.

As I said, military and police bring their service animals into combat situations, yet I know from talking to them that they don’t allow them to fight with their other pets at home. That is the distinction – home vs “work”.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, those that are concerned about such issues, should exercise caution and wait to acquire content. A bit of research beforehand might alleviate distress in the future. (A bit of ‘look before you leap’, so to speak.)

It’s only a matter of hours, if that long, before the information is on the Wiki or Dulfy.

Good luck.

Djinn.9245

Perhaps, those that are concerned about such issues, should exercise caution and wait to acquire content. A bit of research beforehand might alleviate distress in the future. (A bit of ‘look before you leap’, so to speak.)

It’s only a matter of hours, if that long, before the information is on the Wiki or Dulfy.

Good luck.

This would seem like wise advise except that Dulfy doesn’t actually describe what the cats do once in your Home Instance, and the only description in the wiki is “Black cat that fights other cats”.

I’m actually REALLY mystified that people are so against the idea of having more control over their Home Instance. Perhaps they actually object to making the Home Instance controllable for this particular reason, but that’s like saying you don’t want someone to invent a way to make your home fireproof because the person who is suggesting the invention wants to fireproof his home against pyro-kinetics which you think is a silly reason. (But…fireproof home!)

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

Good luck.

This would seem like wise advise except that Dulfy doesn’t actually describe what the cats do once in your Home Instance, and the only description in the wiki is “Black cat that fights other cats”.

I’m actually REALLY mystified that people are so against the idea of having more control over their Home Instance. Perhaps they actually object to making the Home Instance controllable for this particular reason, but that’s like saying you don’t want someone to invent a way to make your home fireproof because the person who is suggesting the invention wants to fireproof his home against pyro-kinetics which you think is a silly reason. (But…fireproof home!)

Or maybe they don’t want homes fireproofed because it’s a waste of time and money and the easy and obvious solution is to just be super careful about letting flamethrowers in your house.

Djinn.9245

Good luck.

Or maybe they don’t want homes fireproofed because it’s a waste of time and money and the easy and obvious solution is to just be super careful about letting flamethrowers in your house.

If flamethrowers were the only way that houses could catch on fire, then this argument would make sense. Just like there are many reasons why having control over the Home Instance would be great. Think about the nodes that are scattered all over in a really inconvenient way – it would be great to have control over the placement. Think of being able to choose a color scheme for the buildings – maybe they would even make holiday color schemes! And of course it would be great to be able to choose which pets you see at different times. Not only to toggle off pets you decide you don’t want to see, but maybe it’s an all-cat month one time, or maybe you want to go with only orange cats for a while.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And that would be player housing, which Home Instances are not.

If we are to get player housing, I, personally, don’t want it in the Home Instance. If Dev time/resources are to be spent on player housing, I want something much different than the Home Instance.

Thus, I am not really motivated toward ‘personalizing’ our Home Instances. I’d rather the resources be spent on making true player housing.

Posted by: Cyndercat.5120

Cyndercat.5120

As I said, military and police bring their service animals into combat situations, yet I know from talking to them that they don’t allow them to fight with their other pets at home. That is the distinction – home vs “work”.

Weird because my 2 cats fight quite a lot in my own home. If we are going down the ‘whats realistic route’. When 1 wants to play and the other doesnt it often turns into a fight.

Posted by: Pax.3548

Pax.3548

can’t believe you’re arguing over fighting cats (which, i should add, are PVP cats so the reference in their fighting should be obvious) in a game

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

ANet could put those PvP rank icons that are beside player’s nameplates on the cat’s name tags. That would make it obvious that it’s PvP fighting, not real fighting.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

If the cats are acting differently then when you obtained them, or it was not made clear what they would be doing in the home instance, then I would support the expense of adding an option to change that behavior.
If their behavior was fully explained from the start, then no.
Actions have consequences.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If the cats are acting differently then when you obtained them, or it was not made clear what they would be doing in the home instance, then I would support the expense of adding an option to change that behavior.
If their behavior was fully explained from the start, then no.
Actions have consequences.

I think this is the basis of the OP’s complaint. It was not made clear what they would be doing. It’s not mentioned or explained at all in game and it’s not mentioned or explained at all in the Dulfy guide. It has at best a mention in the wiki.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Just add dogs already.

That’ll take care of the cat infestation problem.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

An option to disable the content would be nice.

Cats are cats, and they’re going to get into it, but if I had cats in RL that were constantly fighting, making noise, etc. I’d want to put them out in the back yard once in a while as well.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Djinn.9245

And that would be player housing, which Home Instances are not.

If we are to get player housing, I, personally, don’t want it in the Home Instance. If Dev time/resources are to be spent on player housing, I want something much different than the Home Instance.

Thus, I am not really motivated toward ‘personalizing’ our Home Instances. I’d rather the resources be spent on making true player housing.

While I agree that if they add more traditional “Housing” I would not want it in the Home Instance, the fact that we have a Home Instance with Nodes, pets, Holiday Tree, etc. makes me think that, unfortunately, if Anet DID add Housing the Home Instance is where it would be. Or maybe what it would be. It seems like adding all of these things to the Home Instance is Anet’s way of making it like Housing.