Finally Understand who GW2 Demographic is!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ckeeton.4907

ckeeton.4907

People complaining that fun content shouldn’t be in the game? Only on this forum is that possible. " gasp wow they changed it so its more light hearted !!!!" You people are a joke

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I do wonder why people always say “they could be working on class balance or features” super adventure box does not use any new features, it’s all art. The art team can’t balance the game or fix things.

They also can’t just sit around doing nothing :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Theoldman.6483

Theoldman.6483

TO: Vayne.8563 “I’m 51. When I was growing up, a computer game was a book. Well, not quite that bad, but you get the idea.”

Your still a young whipper snapper . Come back when your old enough to shave. (ie. had to load the computer with switches and paper tape if your lucky). The game sure was not designed for my demographics or you wouldn’t have to dodge and kiting is something you do on windy days.

(edited by Theoldman.6483)

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

OP:
whao cool dude

I am so glad you actually understand now.

Even though for well over a year before the launch of the game that is exactly what Anet had been saying multiple times

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

To the OP.

I am 41 years of age and I stopped playing because this game is too childish. The voice acting is about level Sesame street. Rainbow and unicorn shooting bows?

No, this game is not for older people. You are wrong. If I wanna be nostalgic I will play those games from back then.

This game is too lighthearted, at least for me. Why on earth are there areas on fire and undead overrunning Orr? That’s what’s confusing. You’d expect a game that is at least somewhat dark but it isn’t really. Clearly this game is made for younger people and people who prefer light things.

If you want a game that has a real dark undertone (what you’d expect when the world is threatened) and a dose of humour and lightness to offset it, GW2 is not the game for you. It isn’t for me.

Nothing wrong with some light heartedness and some funny things. However, GW2 seems nothing but “funny” things and “goody-two-shoes” heroes and npcs. So, how you come at the conclusion that it’s for older people, I have no idea.

All I can tell you is that I am 41 and this box thing, doesn’t entice me in any way or shape to try GW2 out again. So, I can’t agree with your conclusion.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

OP:
whao cool dude

I am so glad you actually understand now.

Even though for well over a year before the launch of the game that is exactly what Anet had been saying multiple times

Oh i was under the assumption they made a game for everyone? didn’t realise they were saying they weren’t multiple times before launch.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

As I fall into the 35-40 demo, allow me to speak for my brethren that think super adventure box is the most kitten thing I have ever seen in my life.

This is supposed to be a game of epic world vs world pvp.. instead we get hello kitty adventure island.

Character balance needs work, the engineer class is crud, WvW is about as interesting as a game of leap frog.. or watching people jog… and we already have a pointless mini-game; it’s called S-pvp.

My father taught me that you don’t start a new project you finish the last one.

Anet never finishes anything they start, and the fact that our “expansion’s worth of content” is super adventure box,

this,

except the babies part and game of thrones…

Posted by: ThePainTrain.8601

ThePainTrain.8601

Oh i was under the assumption they made a game for everyone? didn’t realise they were saying they weren’t multiple times before launch.

Just because YOU don’t like a few aspects of this game, doesn’t mean they didn’t make it for everyone. Take your over-generalizations and repulsive attitude somewhere else please..

preferably a less casual MMO..

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

“Grrr! I’m mad this game isn’t grimdark! Grrr!”

Kakeru.2873

Just because YOU don’t like a few aspects of this game, doesn’t mean they didn’t make it for everyone. Take your over-generalizations and repulsive attitude somewhere else please..

preferably a less casual MMO..

Ok

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

That’s all bonus content you don’t need to play it. I’m 23 years old and I did grow up with such games so I kinda fail to see your point there :P

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I’ve finally realised why I can’t enjoy or begin to enjoy this game even though it’s amazing and is in my favorite genre.

I’m not the demographic at which they are aiming for.

With the “Super Box Adventure” commercial I realised GW2 is made for the 35 year old gamers, or gamers generally older than me in their late 20s to 30s, who love this nostalgic feeling of 8bit games and bad american commercials. I didn’t grow up with this so to me it’s just not something I can relate to on any level.

With no time constrains and content available to anyone at any skill level, they are aiming this game at ppl who have a wife and possibly kids, gamers who don’t have that much time in the day to actually play games in general, in another term casual players who don’t have all the hours in the day to play. That isn’t me i’m not a casual gamer, I have hours for college work (not uni), and games. I’m not constrain by casual hours.

I’m not looking for an arcade game or an adventure game to play, a 8 bit platformer or a platformer in general. I’m looking to play an mmorpg. Mini games are fun but when the bulk of my fun from the game is coming from mini games, i might aswell be playing a real adventure, platformer or arcade game than a water downed version of such in an MMORPG.

I’m a 46 year old gamer and I played all of the 8-bit games back in the day. That being said, I think the new patch content is just silly. My opinion.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Somebody else remembers using papertape!

(Nightmare memories of using a rack of punchcards to load operating system… and.. watching someone ….drop…. the entire thing).

Husband and I are both 55, going on 56 and we know gamers that are 10-30 years older than us.

Neither of us are in any way shape or form nostalgic for arcade games. Btw, we both hate jump puzzles. We understand many players think jump puzzles are fun and we wish them joy! We would not want them removed just because that particular portion of the game “does not cater to us”. Nor do we base our experience of the entire game around one particular aspect.

That’s because we do not have the “entitled” expectations of a great many of the current generation of gamers. (Mature gamers of any age excepted.)

If you are planning to talk “demographics”, we can have a very long discussion in another thread about the multiple ways to segment the constituencies within the MMO market and within GW2 specifically.

-“hardcore” player

PS: I think ANet was trying to put a bit of “silly” into April, as well as “paying homage” to some of the video games that have come before. Was a nice gesture.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Basharic.1654

Basharic.1654

I’m dinging 40 this year and I love this game.

I can understand why some folks aren’t thrilled with the SAB, personally I’d rather have another “in the game” dungeon updated, or a new one put in. But I also get the fun and the whimsy of this. It’s not what I would have wanted them to do, it feels out of left field to me, but it’s what they did.

It’s moot to me, as the S.A.B. – infantile gave me motion sickness. So I might load up on drugs and make a stab at getting the achieves done before the end of the month. But beyond that I count my blessings that none of the rewards appeal to me.

The commercial btw is unadulterated awesome.

To the OP I would point out Arenanet is out to make money, the people you are denigrating as casual are the ones paying the bills. As has been pointed out already Arenanet has always said this is a game you can pick up and put down as you wish. It’s the definition of casual. Which is good because people who take video games super srs are morons.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

SAB is aimed at people who play games for fun and not as a job. That’s really the only demographic distinction here.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I’ve finally realised why I can’t enjoy or begin to enjoy this game even though it’s amazing and is in my favorite genre.

With the “Super Box Adventure” commercial I realised GW2 is made for the 35 year old gamers, or gamers generally older than me in their late 20s to 30s, who love this nostalgic feeling of 8bit games and bad american commercials. I didn’t grow up with this so to me it’s just not something I can relate to on any level.

With no time constrains and content available to anyone at any skill level, they are aiming this game at ppl who have a wife and possibly kids, gamers who don’t have that much time in the day to actually play games in general, in another term casual players who don’t have all the hours in the day to play. That isn’t me i’m not a casual gamer, I have hours for college work (not uni), and games. I’m not constrain by casual hours.

I’m not looking for an arcade game or an adventure game to play, a 8 bit platformer or a platformer in general. I’m looking to play an mmorpg. Mini games are fun but when the bulk of my fun from the game is coming from mini games, i might aswell be playing a real adventure, platformer or arcade game than a water downed version of such in an MMORPG.

I’m a 46 year old gamer and I played all of the 8-bit games back in the day. That being said, I think the new patch content is just silly. My opinion.

Of course it’s silly! That’s the point! Silly! Fun! Silly fun even! Look, a lot of people in our age bracket have simply forgotten that it’s OK to be silly and have fun. It’s OK to let down what’s left of our hair every now and then and play for the sake of playing.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Milkduds.7109

Milkduds.7109

Been saying this since last night! hahaha!

It’s soooo funny! Like, they didn’t realize this BEFORE the SAB? It took THIS to make them realize? haha

What’s with everyone dolling out their age as a reason for why they don’t like something? Jesus, some of you people are going to be grey, in rockers, and begging to be taken off life support by the time you’re 37 with the way you talk.

“WELL I’M 31 CLEARLY THIS GAME OFFENDS MY SUPERIOR TASTES.”

If you don’t like it fine, but stop acting like “your age” inherently means anything. It only means something if you let it. It’s so annoying to read. I’m all for people not liking things and expressing why, but again, age is inherently meaningless here. We are talking about a video game, not someone trying to attend prom night 15 years after they have graduated from HS.

“All is Vain…”

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Id like to report a bug, there is no dislike button anywhere!!!

Kakeru.2873

Been saying this since last night! hahaha!

It’s soooo funny! Like, they didn’t realize this BEFORE the SAB? It took THIS to make them realize? haha

What’s with everyone dolling out their age as a reason for why they don’t like something? Jesus, some of you people are going to be grey, in rockers, and begging to be taken off life support by the time you’re 37 with the way you talk.

“WELL I’M 31 CLEARLY THIS GAME OFFENDS MY SUPERIOR TASTES.”

If you don’t like it fine, but stop acting like “your age” inherently means anything. It only means something if you let it. It’s so annoying to read. I’m all for people not liking things and expressing why, but again, age is inherently meaningless here. We are talking about a video game, not someone trying to attend prom night 15 years after they have graduated from HS.

Well age clearly is a factor here. As the the superbox commercial and 8bit in general is homage to some gamers childhood and growing up. Sometime I didn’t grow up with and do not understand or enjoy in any particular way. I do not relate to it in anyway 1 because of my age and 2 because of my interests. So age kinda is a factor.

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Well age clearly is a factor here. As the the superbox commercial and 8bit in general is homage to some gamers childhood and growing up. Sometime I didn’t grow up with and do not understand or enjoy in any particular way. I do not relate to it in anyway 1 because of my age and 2 because of my interests. So age kinda is a factor.

Essentially, following your logic, you’re saying I need to be over three hundred years old to appreciate Shakespeare?

GW2 was never marketed as a hardcore MMO, or a dark game full of tragedy for that matter. They talked about horizontal progression and removing competition more than anything else. Review all the pre-launch videos, trailers and interviews.. They are still there for all to see.

I like this event, its amusing. Its funny. It’s also easy content they can add while fixing WvW and working on sPvP being viable. Arenanet isn’t a one employee company, they can (and should) work on more than one thing at a time.

I don’t understand today’s “gamers”. This is a game, a diversion; its not a career. Playing isn’t your job, nor does it define you in any way. They are designing this game, its their project, their vision, not ours. How entitled the gaming community got is unbelievable. (Not all my rant is about this sole thread, but this forum in general).

Posted by: Chaialyna.1023

Chaialyna.1023

I finally made it into the Cursed Shore area yesterday on my newly-80 (for about 3 weeks) guardian and discovered the Penitent/Shelter events. That was fun!

Tonight I look forward to trying this crowded box in Rata Sum. I’m thinking that the Risen will still be in Orr when I get back there which I suppose is a good thing in the long run. One doesn’t necessarily want to live in a war zone all the time and this looks like a good source of lighter fun.

It’s possible to do both. Yay for choices!

(And if anyone wants to know, I’m 50. :P )

Alts-R-Us ~ All professions at 80 ~ Still leveling characters.
Main? What “main”? I play all of them sooner or later.

Posted by: Cures.7451

Cures.7451

Well, im sure you’re wrong, because it would be dumb to narrow my audience to some diffuse (but financial powerful for sure) audience. BUT if you are right, its another good decision from the great team You know … young nerds are so 80ies. There is LoL for you now.

btw if you dont understand things you didnt grow up with – you got other problems than finding the right game

(edited by Cures.7451)

Posted by: Dragon.4165

Dragon.4165

OP, if you’re young and looking for a game to waste your life away in, I highly recommend no. Don’t waste your youth. Go outside. Hang out with friends. Do athletics. Study. Get good grades, and go to college.

The world is heading in a bad direction when kids like yourself are looking for time-consuming video games to get addicted to and practically serve as a job. To what ends? So you can impress your video-game friends with your virtual high score and virtual skill? Real life will give you success and wealth and happiness, no amount of raiding dragons is going to do that for you. Don’t waste your youth.

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

Essentially, following your logic, you’re saying I need to be over three hundred years old to appreciate Shakespeare?

GW2 was never marketed as a hardcore MMO, or a dark game full of tragedy for that matter. They talked about horizontal progression and removing competition more than anything else. Review all the pre-launch videos, trailers and interviews.. They are still there for all to see.

I like this event, its amusing. Its funny. It’s also easy content they can add while fixing WvW and working on sPvP being viable. Arenanet isn’t a one employee company, they can (and should) work on more than one thing at a time.

I don’t understand today’s “gamers”. This is a game, a diversion; its not a career. Playing isn’t your job, nor does it define you in any way. They are designing this game, its their project, their vision, not ours. How entitled the gaming community got is unbelievable. (Not all my rant is about this sole thread, but this forum in general).

And the gaming populace at large, for that matter.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Milkduds.7109

Milkduds.7109

Thank you!

“All is Vain…”

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I have mixed feelings about this event. I’m 31 so I’m a child of the 80’s and appreciate the event for what it is. I have nothing against the theme of the event, since the Asura tech angle works for it. And it’s optional so you can ignore it if you hate it. New content keeps things fresh.

But I’d like to see some of the current issues addressed rather than more content added instead. New content is awesome, don’t get me wrong, but it pains me sometimes to see a huge patch of new content (dungeons, skins, events, etc) and pages of bugs ignored and class balancing ignored. Why would anyone care about a new dungeon if they can’t take their fav class into it cuz it’s broken/lackluster?

I get that they have teams working on their own tasks (class balance, dungeons, events, art, etc). But man, you gotta shuffle personnel around so there are more people working on class balance and bug fixing.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Hey old people 15 here, and i’ve seen some people of my age who enjoy this game as much as you do. Maybe we don’t feel nostalgic but we all have played Mario i suppose, at least on DS. Well anyway, we like this content too, I like this content. It doesn’t matter how old you are, you play because you like the game not because it gives memories of lazy days in childhood.

Posted by: Chaialyna.1023

Chaialyna.1023

It doesn’t matter how old you are, you play because you like the game not because it gives memories of lazy days in childhood.

Well said.

Alts-R-Us ~ All professions at 80 ~ Still leveling characters.
Main? What “main”? I play all of them sooner or later.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

As I fall into the 35-40 demo, allow me to speak for my brethren that think super adventure box is the most kitten thing I have ever seen in my life.

You do realise you speak only for yourself, right? You have absolutely no sense of humor, which is what April’s Fool is all about. And if I may give you a humble suggestion, change it. Being dark and grumpy and serious all the time won’t take you far in life.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Somebody else remembers using papertape!

I remember needing to deliver executable image on Mylar punch tape. Military contract. Best thing about it was all the anti-holes. Get a jar full (glass jar) of them, pop the top and watch them “crawl” out of the jar and move like The Blob. Static charge is fun.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

To the OP.

I am 41 years of age and I stopped playing because this game is too childish. The voice acting is about level Sesame street. Rainbow and unicorn shooting bows?

No, this game is not for older people. You are wrong. If I wanna be nostalgic I will play those games from back then.

This game is too lighthearted, at least for me. Why on earth are there areas on fire and undead overrunning Orr? That’s what’s confusing. You’d expect a game that is at least somewhat dark but it isn’t really. Clearly this game is made for younger people and people who prefer light things.

If you want a game that has a real dark undertone (what you’d expect when the world is threatened) and a dose of humour and lightness to offset it, GW2 is not the game for you. It isn’t for me.

Nothing wrong with some light heartedness and some funny things. However, GW2 seems nothing but “funny” things and “goody-two-shoes” heroes and npcs. So, how you come at the conclusion that it’s for older people, I have no idea.

All I can tell you is that I am 41 and this box thing, doesn’t entice me in any way or shape to try GW2 out again. So, I can’t agree with your conclusion.

^^ This exactly! 35 years old and gw2 turns to be an even more childish game with every update. I didn’t buy Hello Kitty online or Mario or Pokemon. If I wanted to play Mario or Bubble Bubble or Tetris or Zelda, I would go play these games. Living in the 80’s unlike most of you youngsters, is an extra reason to want me to forget about this awful and kitsch era. Time moves forward and not backward. If you want retro, go play retro games. (this last one for all the smart kids that will reply to my message, telling me to go play another mmo). I have been following GW since 2006. I was there through most of the silly -goofy April’s fools days of old gw and most holiday events in old Tyria. None of them annoyed me as much as this new content. And now he have a petition to make it permanent?? Whatever……

Are you really that insecure about playing something that reminds people of Mario & Zelda. Just because your old and don’t like classic 8-bit themes in games doesn’t mean other OLDER gamers don’t. Let me guess you didn’t play games as a kid because you thought games were for kids back then. I have a friend like you that hates anything with a cartoonish look and its ironic hes the immature one. I think you have some growing up to do if your that insecure about image.

This April fools joke is on you.

Posted by: Keileia.4832

Keileia.4832

I skimmed through the thread and this was the message I got:

Physical age has nothing to do with mental maturity. On the one hand we have 50 year olds saying they love the content. And then on the other we have 40 year olds who hate it and (presumably) are tired of life. That to me tells me…it’s less about aiming towards a certain demographic but more about….certain people needing to just plain and simple grow up. You would have thought by now that someone who’s nearly 40 would be able to handle something different in a manner according to their age but clearly that’s not the case.

Summary: Grow up. End of Story.

(edited by Keileia.4832)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

• waves hand
    these are not the demographics you’re looking for…
It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

:Physical age has nothing to do with mental maturity. On the one hand we have 50 year olds saying they love the content. And then on the other we have 40 year olds who hate it and (presumably) are tired of life. That to me tells me…it’s less about aiming towards a certain demographic but more about….certain people needing to just plain and simple grow up. You would have thought by now that someone who’s nearly 40 would be able to handle something different in a manner according to their age but clearly that’s not the case.

Summary: Grow up. End of Story.

^^
This.

/signed

EU / Aurora Glade

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Anyone who complains about old 8 bit games never played battletoads.

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

Well I’m 50. What some of you “younger” players forget is we older players have a lot more disposable income to pour in to gaming.

Ahh! That is so true.

This current Adventure Box isn’t my type of thing. I played it for an hour or so, on infantile mode, which was rather insulting.

Easy – Level 1 – Rung 0 – Mode Easy – Basic – Adventure Lite – Effortless – Painless – Snap Mode – Friendly – Pushover – Gentle – Yielding – Smooth – Accessible

Out of all the adjectives in the world that could have been used, Anet chose INFANTILE?

Seriously Anet, way to make your players who are not good at jumping puzzles, or other aspects of game play feel like crap. I just wanted to go in and check it out, see what was up, see what all the fuss was about. Not only do I play on infantile mode, but I get achievements for “Baby’s First Super Adventure”.

While I did get a Zelda Link to the Past vibe smashing pots for baubles instead of rupies playing a mini game on a mode Anet basically is saying is for babies and calling me, a paying, playing customer a baby for playing on that mode was insulting. I’m probably twice the age of the people who programmed the mini game and they name it “infantile” mode and give me “Baby” named achievements.

I do appreciate there is new content, the retro, the whimsical aspect, the fun they are injecting, the effort put forth and the fact they are obviously trying to create fun, new content for all the players. And I’m happy players are having fun. It’s good for the game and player retention. But whoever chose “infantile” and “baby” needs to have a meeting with a superior and a serious talking to.

I’ll skip this content, because it’s not my thing, and go take my Geritol.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Are you really that insecure about playing something that reminds people of Mario & Zelda. Just because your old and don’t like classic 8-bit themes in games doesn’t mean other OLDER gamers don’t. Let me guess you didn’t play games as a kid because you thought games were for kids back then. I have a friend like you that hates anything with a cartoonish look and its ironic hes the immature one. I think you have some growing up to do if your that insecure about image.

Why would you lash out like that? Just because we don’t like something, doesn’t mean he or myself for that matter is insecure.

The OP started this thread by saying he now thinks that this game caters to old people because of the 8-bit stuff. Perhaps you missed what this thread is about?

We are simply saying that there are older players that don’t care for this and in fact find the game in general very childish and therefore more for people who like that sort of stuff. If you are older and like it that’s fine. But the O kitten till wrong from my point of view. If you love bows that shoot unicorns, then great for you. For me it’s just childish stuff. That doesn’t mean that I don’t like humour or silly things.

I played the original pac-man and thought it was great. I still watch cartoons like south park and angry beavers. What it doesn’t mean is that I like everything that is cartoony and the OP’s conclusion is simply wrong as is yours. In another thread I compared it to Star Wars Episode I.

I love Star Wars but I was not very fond of Jar Jar Binks. Supposedly he is funny to some but I found him irritating and there was too much of him in that movie. And that’s how I feel about GW2 as compared to GW1.

So let me turn it around. Should I conclude that you are insecure because you felt it necessary to lash out at him so strongly?

C’mon dude.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Laivine.9308

Laivine.9308

First of all I am a woman. Second, I love the fact that everyone, wanting to defend their game, do not hesitate to insult anyone else that happens to have a different opinion than theirs. If this is mature according to you and on the other hand I am the immature one, because I didn’t like the content you loved, then ..ok! That is all beyond me. Next time try to answer the concerns of a loyal (till now) fan of your game, rather than all jumping into him/her because he is not a part of your “I except whatever is given to me for free” happy group!

Posted by: Mel.8769

Mel.8769

Today’s gaming audience is more diverse than ever. Ranging in age, sex, race, education education level, and social status. One of the beautiful, and more difficult, things that AreneNet has pulled off is options and variety, allowing GW2 to appeal to a wider audience.

One of the things I adore about this game is that I can play how I want. I don’t have to participate in every single feature. While the Super Adventure Box may be giving a wink toward gaming ancestors (Mario, Zelda, etc…), remember the game is very young and is constantly growing and evolving (ex: Living Story). Also, it’s an optional feature. Try it out, if you don’t like it, don’t play it.

From someone who has worked professionally on online games, kudos to ArenaNet for breaking the mold and honoring the games that laid the path for modern games. Without them, there would be no Guild Wars.

Common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everyone’s garden. -Unknown

Posted by: Reslinal.2359

Reslinal.2359

I think GW2 aims more towards lighthearted people that are not super competitive in nature. While people who are more dense and very competitive tend to not like it as much.

Blackgate Engineer

Posted by: Arisal.9740

Arisal.9740

Why would you lash out like that? Just because we don’t like something, doesn’t mean he or myself for that matter is insecure.

The OP started this thread by saying he now thinks that this game caters to old people because of the 8-bit stuff. Perhaps you missed what this thread is about?

We are simply saying that there are older players that don’t care for this and in fact find the game in general very childish and therefore more for people who like that sort of stuff. If you are older and like it that’s fine. But the O kitten till wrong from my point of view. If you love bows that shoot unicorns, then great for you. For me it’s just childish stuff. That doesn’t mean that I don’t like humour or silly things.

I played the original pac-man and thought it was great. I still watch cartoons like south park and angry beavers. What it doesn’t mean is that I like everything that is cartoony and the OP’s conclusion is simply wrong as is yours. In another thread I compared it to Star Wars Episode I.

I love Star Wars but I was not very fond of Jar Jar Binks. Supposedly he is funny to some but I found him irritating and there was too much of him in that movie. And that’s how I feel about GW2 as compared to GW1.

So let me turn it around. Should I conclude that you are insecure because you felt it necessary to lash out at him so strongly?

C’mon dude.

Haha you think that was lash out? Look, I was just saying I have a friend who is around both your ages (late 30’s) and he thinks pretty much what you guys have been hashing out in this thread. 1) he is very self conscious about imagine and looks. 2) He is fairly immature. I am just calling it as I see it. Feel fee to express why you guys think that 8-bit is childish or that guild wars 2 is childish and I will gladly say your full of it because I know plenty of people in their 30’s who enjoy this game and we all have kids and enjoy playing FUN games.

Just because in your opinion you think the game looks and sounds childish doesn’t mean that it is.

Posted by: Oda.2348

Oda.2348

I think the SAB is a great event! I spent a few hours with it last night and I was pretty amazed. It is just unfortunate that I spent about 45 mins to complete the latest iteration of F&F and was just kinda pleased. All polished and fun content is good content, I just wish there was a better balance between story/lore/core game content and these seasonal events.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

First of all I am a woman. Second, I love the fact that everyone, wanting to defend their game, do not hesitate to insult anyone else that happens to have a different opinion than theirs. If this is mature according to you and on the other hand I am the immature one, because I didn’t like the content you loved, then ..ok! That is all beyond me. Next time try to answer the concerns of a loyal (till now) fan of your game, rather than all jumping into him/her because he is not a part of your “I except whatever is given to me for free” happy group!

Wow, get a grip. What you’re seeing here is the same stuff that can be found on any gaming forum. Everyone is right and nobody is wrong. You might need to grow a thicker skin. I don’t even see who this is aimed at.

And who cares if you’re a woman? This thread is about age.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Ratphink.4751

Ratphink.4751

I think what this thread highlights the best is that being a MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online Game) is that as a developer, you cannot ever please everyone.

This game’s too childish!
This game’s too dark!
This game’s got too much!
This game’s got too little!

However to lay out this bag of snakes, age is mostly irrelevant. The best that you can achieve by giving somebody your age (assuming it’s your real age) is that you give them some kind of context to your personal aesthetic.

However not all ages share the same personal taste. The point is moot because just as there are plenty of people who dislike this content, there are equal if not more, in game enjoying it (just signed off after doing just that). At the end of the day, if you don’t like the content it really is a matter of turning off the game and finding something that better suits your taste. I’m not saying this callously, I’m telling you that you will have a better time in life if you just shrug your shoulders and go “Eh, whatever. I’ll go play Dark Souls instead.” There’s nothing wrong with that. That’s your personal taste in gaming.

“I have begun my journey in a paper boat without a bottom.”

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Did you grow up in the middle ages when there were witches and wizards and saints would slay dragrons, the kings and queens would stay in their castles and the knights of the land would go forth and do their bidding?

Surely you must be too old to still be gaming….

No, I’m not even in my 20s

That is really sad.. my daughter is an young adult and she loves the game.. Seems like some of your generation just don’t know what fun or know how to have fun is..

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

The new content would make sense if it was a relaxing break from the rest of the game. But it’s not…it’s the same stuff just dressed up in 80’s graphics. 90% of the game is themepark, teensy silliness that really only appeals to a younger audience. They threw in this 8-bit stuff as a nice joke, and it may be fun to play for a little while, but it doesn’t make up for its lack of good content.

Mostly I have issue with it being called “Guild Wars 2” in the first place. It is so far removed from the spirit of the original that it’s not even on the same planet. If they didn’t plan on continuing in that tradition, they should have named it something different. It’s almost insulting to the creators of the first game.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Kakeru.2873

Did you grow up in the middle ages when there were witches and wizards and saints would slay dragrons, the kings and queens would stay in their castles and the knights of the land would go forth and do their bidding?

Surely you must be too old to still be gaming….

No, I’m not even in my 20s

That is really sad.. my daughter is an young adult and she loves the game.. Seems like some of your generation just don’t know what fun or know how to have fun is..

So… because i don’t particuly enjoy 8-bit and don’t really like the whole retro gaming thing I don’t know what fun is or how to have it?

Posted by: KazNaka.4718

KazNaka.4718

I concur. GW2 is full of casuals. I see a lot of high-achievement players who still doesn’t get how line of sight aggro works or who still can’t do jumping puzzles well or who still can’t run past trash mobs. Sometimes these same people can’t read the mini map and waits for everyone to say “r” even though everyone is clearly in position, and it’s been dead silent for over 1 minute.

Posted by: Dragon.4165

Dragon.4165

GW2 is full of casuals.

But the forums are full of hardcore trolls most of who don’t even play the game. Get a life.

Kakeru.2873

GW2 is full of casuals.

But the forums are full of hardcore trolls most of who don’t even play the game. Get a life.

I don’t even know how to respond to that.