Finally Understand who GW2 Demographic is!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I’ve finally realised why I can’t enjoy or begin to enjoy this game even though it’s amazing and is in my favorite genre.

cool story, bro!
Either that or the developers are that age, which is common. Meanwhile 8-bit games are very popular on android devices right now, remakes and totally new games, friggen fun stuff. But 8-bit has it’s own form of art, it’s appealing to many as well as to developer-artists.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

The target demographic is anyone above 13 and below 16. If there are adults who like that kind of stuff then they’re Disney adults. You know who they are. The ones that watch Disney movies.

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

What’s wrong with adults watching Disney movies?

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I’ve finally realised why I can’t enjoy or begin to enjoy this game even though it’s amazing and is in my favorite genre.

cool story, bro!
Either that or the developers are that age, which is common. Meanwhile 8-bit games are very popular on android devices right now, remakes and totally new games, friggen fun stuff. But 8-bit has it’s own form of art, it’s appealing to many as well as to developer-artists.

Thats the problem. Then people should go play the 100 levels of awesomeness of yesteryear on their I-watever and Androids.

Maybe Nintendo and Anet had a co-licensing agreement :P

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: Bob.5732

Bob.5732

I fall into the 35-40 demographic. I tried out the new super happy fun ball adventure box game and it was not my thing. If others dig it then cool, but I don’t think I’ll be playing it again. That being said, I totally cool with Anet rolling it out. I have no hate like others do.

Many people that whine and complain about Anet needing to focus on other areas of the game apparently have no idea that there are different teams working on different things. Just because one team developed this new 8 bit game doesn’t mean other teams aren’t working hard on the stuff you want.

And by the way, I don’t entirely see this as catering to the 30-40 demographic. My first thought when I entered the game was that it looked like Minecraft and that is predominately a 10-20 demographic IMO. So I think Anet was targeting a large portion of it’s player base, not just the older generation of gamers.

Daywolf.2630

What’s wrong with adults watching Disney movies?

ummm I don’t know… agree that was an odd comment. Poster must be 14yo maybe? I liked the new TRON, myself. Could have been better, but still… and the Daft Punk music was great imo, bought the CD too. Been playing mmo’s since the mid 90’s, no Idea what he was trying to get at in general.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Khal Drogo.9631

Many people that whine and complain about Anet needing to focus on other areas of the game apparently have no idea that there are different teams working on different things. Just because one team developed this new 8 bit game doesn’t mean other teams aren’t working hard on the stuff you want.

And you know this as a certainty? I don’t work at Anet so I wouldnt know.

Daywolf.2630

Then people should go play the 100 levels of awesomeness of yesteryear on their I-watever and Androids.

Yesteryear? Like I said, there are new games, lots of them, and they are very fun. It’s like saying oil painting is no longer relevant since we have digital cameras now…

Khal Drogo.9631

Then people should go play the 100 levels of awesomeness of yesteryear on their I-watever and Androids.

Yesteryear? Like I said, there are new games, lots of them, and they are very fun. It’s like saying oil painting is no longer relevant since we have digital cameras now…

Then people should go play the 100 levels of awesomeness of yesteryear AND today on their I-watever and Androids.

There, fixed. Happy?

Posted by: Bob.5732

Bob.5732

And you know this as a certainty? I don’t work at Anet so I wouldnt know.

No, I can’t say “I know” this for a certainty, but given any typical company such as Anet, it would be absurd to think or believe that they don’t have different teams dedicated to certain projects.

Daywolf.2630

Then people should go play the 100 levels of awesomeness of yesteryear AND today on their I-watever and Androids.

There, fixed. Happy?

What sales, sales. Just the way things are. There is a wide audience for 8-bit art, a lot of people like it, including people that like GW2. You act like GW2 is all about 8-bit now and you are being robbed of your gameplay. It’s just a mini-game, something many mmo’s have been doing for decades. I’d rather see something like this as a mini-game rather than a dumb trading card game. And still, this is for only a month, then it’s gone. I’m not going to stop playing GW2 to go play 8-bit games just because you are irked about a mini-game here, don’t be silly.

No, I can’t say “I know” this for a certainty, but given any typical company such as Anet, it would be absurd to think or believe that they don’t have different teams dedicated to certain projects.

That’s standard, yes. Indies, more focused on centralized development in most cases, but AAA companies are compartmentalized and having the resources to do so.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

I am an over 50 yr old gamer.

I enjoy WvWvW and tend to play GW2 for 40-50+ hrs a week.

IMHO, Anet has displayed a sense of humour.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Khal Drogo.9631

There, fixed. Happy?

What sales, sales. Just the way things are. There is a wide audience for 8-bit art, a lot of people like it, including people that like GW2. You act like GW2 is all about 8-bit now and you are being robbed of your gameplay. It’s just a mini-game, something many mmo’s have been doing for decades. I’d rather see something like this as a mini-game rather than a dumb trading card game. And still, this is for only a month, then it’s gone. I’m not going to stop playing GW2 to go play 8-bit games just because you are irked about a mini-game here, don’t be silly.

Actually I am irked by ppl saying this is the best thing since sliced bread. I pointed out there are much, much better alternatives if you want 8 bit gaming. Even the devs will admit this.

As for sales figures, only Anet would know this is a success or a dud.

I wouldnt mind a GW2 trading card game outside the architecture.

Posted by: Coffeebot.3921

Coffeebot.3921

I’m sorry OP but this isn’t a throwback to the 8bit era, that era was dominated by the likes of the Atari 2600 which is so visually different in terms of graphics that I’m amazed you think the super funbox is 8bit-esque. No, the Super Funbox is a throwback to the 32bit era, specifically the Nintendo 64 and games like Super Mario 64 and Zelda (possibly Ocarina of Time, but more likely the S/NES version), but given you young people don’t know how to research things I fully understand how you could (mis)believe that it’s an 8bit lookalike. P.S. I’m 25

Fornicate like you’ve never fornicated before.
I am anti-censorship, for it doesn’t make sense to pander to a minority.

(edited by Coffeebot.3921)

Daywolf.2630

I wouldnt mind a GW2 trading card game outside the architecture.

So you are irked because you got robbed of your trading card mini-game? Maybe it’s you that should quit (taking your own advice) and find a game with a trading card mini-game? Seems more logical…
For the rest that don’t like it, they seem just fine to pass it by and play the game. I haven’t played it yet, I see no detriment to my game surroundings. In fact much improvement, especially in wvw.

Posted by: Quartz.3462

Quartz.3462

I’m 21. I didn’t experience those commercials but I still found it funny and I love the new updates. The living story and the new super adventure box. I think GW2 is the best mmorpg I have played to date the little extras really add a lot of fun to an already epic game.

But I really don’t think this game appeals to the grindcore or raiders like WoW does though. Neither do I think it’s an esport like Dota2 but it’s just such a fun game that I can enjoy in my spare time when I want a social gaming experience. The best is having my friends round to play Mario games on the Wii together but since they can’t be around all the time I’ll happily settle for this

Oh, and my background is from playing WoW from vanilla to Cataclysm. I don’t regret giving that up for GW2 one bit Not that WoW is bad. I just prefer this game.

Khal Drogo.9631

Whenever you do a tribute to something, inevitably you evoke memories of the source material and comparisons to other tributaries. If the source material and other tributaries are still available…. I think somebody really didn’t think this through.

SAB doesnt affect my gameplay which is why I said I am not bothered about it in my GW2 gameplay.

Posted by: Boatdrinks.2546

Boatdrinks.2546

Say what you will about the SAB, but that commercial was god-tier.

Posted by: Mortise.2739

Mortise.2739

36 here, and I hate jumping puzzles, most of my friends love ‘em and more power to ’em, delighted they have that content. SAB might not be my cup of tea, but I’m delighted people are enjoying it…me….I’m still wiping my coffee off my monitor after watching that commercial 10/10 for that Anet, cheered me up so much I can wait for the long over-due bug/trait fixes.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I was born in 1973, and yes i love the Super Adventure Box, mostly because of nostalgia, but i have noticed a few things why i like it..

Everyone who enters it is equal in every way, no bias this or that..
It feels cheerful not depressing like the trahearne story..
Its just genuinely fun and casual to do.
It looks fantastic, has the Zelda/ Mario world feel
The rewards are just plain cool to look at and can be gotten without insanity
It helps ignite the adventure and searching i crave personally

People may love it or hate it (they did in the 80’s too) but in my opinion Anet has a hit on their hands not seen since the Halloween event, and i do hope they continue to add more to it so we can finally save the poor princess..:D

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Darkwolf.6291

Darkwolf.6291

I’m in the 35-40 demographic. I thought the SAB was a fun way to blow an hour, but I probably won’t be going back in there again. I like that Arenanet made that sort of thing for a laugh, but it’s just not my thing.

Why do people always assume everyone in my age bracket is pining for the early days of computer games? Bah. Nostalgia is one thing, but if you objectively look at old games and the mechanics in them, they were terrible (with a few notable exceptions). Horrible graphics, thin storylines, infuriating game mechanics… Most old games were actually really bad and they only look like there OK now through really thick rose-tinted glasses.

I’ll keep my memories of old games in the past, where it belongs. It’s always such a disappointment to run up some old game you used to love and have the nostalgia crash down when you realize that it wasn’t anywhere near as good as you remember, and a little part of your childhood dies.

No thanks.

Khal Drogo.9631

Wintersday was the best event by far for me. And I am not a big fan of events.

Did it break immersion? Not at all, it may even have enhanced it. Not to mention glorious glorious Tixx golem balloon animations and the snowglobe Mystic Forge. The ONLY complaint I have is the griefing potential of the bells. I am not a massive fanboy, so I didnt go “Wow super job on Wintersday, Anet keep it up”.

SAB? Still couldn’t care less and not a good idea imho.

Khal Drogo.9631

Why do people always assume everyone in my age bracket is pining for the early days of computer games? Bah. Nostalgia is one thing, but if you objectively look at old games and the mechanics in them, they were terrible (with a few notable exceptions). Horrible graphics, thin storylines, infuriating game mechanics… Most old games were actually really bad and they only look like there OK now through really thick rose-tinted glasses.

Except for the horrible graphics part, agree to disagree.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

I’m not the demographic at which they are aiming for.

With the “Super Box Adventure” commercial I realised GW2 is made for the 35 year old gamers, or gamers generally older than me in their late 20s to 30s, who love this nostalgic feeling of 8bit games and bad american commercials. I didn’t grow up with this so to me it’s just not something I can relate to on any level.

With no time constrains and content available to anyone at any skill level, they are aiming this game at ppl who have a wife and possibly kids, gamers who don’t have that much time in the day to actually play games in general, in another term casual players who don’t have all the hours in the day to play. That isn’t me i’m not a casual gamer, I have hours for college work (not uni), and games. I’m not constrain by casual hours.

I’m not looking for an arcade game or an adventure game to play, a 8 bit platformer or a platformer in general. I’m looking to play an mmorpg. Mini games are fun but when the bulk of my fun from the game is coming from mini games, i might aswell be playing a real adventure, platformer or arcade game than a water downed version of such in an MMORPG.

Hey don’t blame me, i’m 32 and looking for an MMO and hate all this retro pseudo 8-bit pandering that’s going on with everyone lately. If I want retro, I play actual legit retro games. =)

*I DO have a wife and kids but as an adult I realize that I have little time to work with so I have to plan game time better if I want to get things done.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

On demographics:

25 years ago my manager (in R&D) sent his entire staff to a class on making good choices, customer focused choices, in product features. Called QFD, it was the method Toyota et al had just used to competitively flatten GM, Ford, etc.

The class opened with the instructor taking a poll: “How many of you like thin crust pizza? How many of you like deep dish (Chicago) pizza? Now how many of you would like something halfway between the two?”

ArenaNet has a lot of different constituencies (some folks call them demographics, but i think this is more about what people like than how old they are) to keep track of, much less please, and (thankfully) does not have the politician’s skill of telling each constituency what they want to hear.

So part of what we’re seeing here is that every time ArenaNet releases something for group A, groups B, C, D, E, F, and G see this as a message they’re not wanted. It’s not. It’s just a lack of sophistication in the way ArenaNet communicates to its various constituencies.

But the other part of what we’re seeing is that ArenaNet doesn’t seem to have decided what constituencies not to serve, and which they want to serve extraordinarily well. So we’re getting a lot of pizza that is halfway between Chicago and New York, which people may eat, but no one really likes it. What a waste of R&D resources!

Oh, and I was in college at the peak of the arcade games in the late 1970s, and never particularly cared for them. It’s not an age demographic.

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

Tell us more o’ enlightened one. What else have you discovered?

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Let’s be honest here for a second. How much money can the average highschool kid and early college goer really spend on a videogame? Especially when they can just grind out the stuff themselves for ‘free’?

So who do you think spends the most money on games like this? Cosmetics and time-savers? Guess.

On demographics:

25 years ago my manager (in R&D) sent his entire staff to a class on making good choices, customer focused choices, in product features. Called QFD, it was the method Toyota et al had just used to competitively flatten GM, Ford, etc.

The class opened with the instructor taking a poll: “How many of you like thin crust pizza? How many of you like deep dish (Chicago) pizza? Now how many of you would like something halfway between the two?”

ArenaNet has a lot of different constituencies (some folks call them demographics, but i think this is more about what people like than how old they are) to keep track of, much less please, and (thankfully) does not have the politician’s skill of telling each constituency what they want to hear.

So part of what we’re seeing here is that every time ArenaNet releases something for group A, groups B, C, D, E, F, and G see this as a message they’re not wanted. It’s not. It’s just a lack of sophistication in the way ArenaNet communicates to its various constituencies.

But the other part of what we’re seeing is that ArenaNet doesn’t seem to have decided what constituencies not to serve, and which they want to serve extraordinarily well. So we’re getting a lot of pizza that is halfway between Chicago and New York, which people may eat, but no one really likes it. What a waste of R&D resources!

Oh, and I was in college at the peak of the arcade games in the late 1970s, and never particularly cared for them. It’s not an age demographic.

Wait, isn’t hand-tossed (medium crust) the most common and popular option?

I agree with what you have said, but I think your analogy is off. That’s all

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

(edited by Geikamir.6329)

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

Tell us more o’ enlightened one. What else have you discovered?

Do not worry child, you shall be enlightened.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

I skimmed through the thread and this was the message I got:

Physical age has nothing to do with mental maturity. On the one hand we have 50 year olds saying they love the content. And then on the other we have 40 year olds who hate it and (presumably) are tired of life.

I think you skimmed it right.

Posted by: MistaMike.7356

MistaMike.7356

Are you kidding? You WANT developers who will take chances and be creative and be unpredictable. What other studio would pull something off that’s so far out in left field? The devs who designed it are just taking a break from the same-old of working on this game everyday, they will be better off for it. Stuff like this keeps all of our collective minds active.

Posted by: Gundam Zephyr.6713

Gundam Zephyr.6713

I’m reading a lot of poorly written posts by so-called ‘40 and 50 year olds.’ Did you people actually go to school? I was under the impression the public school system is getting worse, not better, as time goes on.

As for the topic itself, I love the SAB. I’m quite a fan of exploring and platforming. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Super Mario 64 are two of my favorite games ever. SAB appeals to players like me, who enjoy doing things in-game that don’t necessarily get us better loot or achieve specific ‘hardcore’ goals. It’s just a way to blow off steam and enjoy a little bit of what made games like Super Mario 64 so iconic in their hay day.

P.S. I’m 25.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m reading a lot of poorly written posts by so-called ‘40 and 50 year olds.’ Did you people actually go to school? I was under the impression the public school system is getting worse, not better, as time goes on.

As for the topic itself, I love the SAB. I’m quite a fan of exploring and platforming. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Super Mario 64 are two of my favorite games ever. SAB appeals to players like me, who enjoy doing things in-game that don’t necessarily get us better loot or achieve specific ‘hardcore’ goals. It’s just a way to blow off steam and enjoy a little bit of what made games like Super Mario 64 so iconic in their hay day.

P.S. I’m 25.

The longer it’s been since you’ve been to school, the less you remember about things like grammar, and sentence structure. People who don’t use the written word often will often not be better at it than people who use it frequently. How about a bit of tolerance?

The way schools teach has indeed changed quite a bit. There are, from my point of view anyway, huge omissions in the current day curriculum. Calling people out for not typing or speaking well, it’s just not cool. Not to mention for many people, English might not even be a first language.

And I just make a lot of typos because I make a lot of posts and don’t want to spend the time constantly rereading them.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

P.S. I’m 25.

The longer it’s been since you’ve been to school, the less you remember about things like grammar, and sentence structure. People who don’t use the written word often will often not be better at it than people who use it frequently. How about a bit of tolerance?

The way schools teach has indeed changed quite a bit. There are, from my point of view anyway, huge omissions in the current day curriculum. Calling people out for not typing or speaking well, it’s just not cool. Not to mention for many people, English might not even be a first language.

And I just make a lot of typos because I make a lot of posts and don’t want to spend the time constantly rereading them.

I was going to reply the same, but with more venom in the reply.

As for SAB I like it even though some areas showcase the faults in the engine a bit to well.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I’m not the demographic at which they are aiming for.

With the “Super Box Adventure” commercial I realised GW2 is made for the 35 year old gamers, or gamers generally older than me in their late 20s to 30s, who love this nostalgic feeling of 8bit games and bad american commercials. I didn’t grow up with this so to me it’s just not something I can relate to on any level.

With no time constrains and content available to anyone at any skill level, they are aiming this game at ppl who have a wife and possibly kids, gamers who don’t have that much time in the day to actually play games in general, in another term casual players who don’t have all the hours in the day to play. That isn’t me i’m not a casual gamer, I have hours for college work (not uni), and games. I’m not constrain by casual hours.

I’m not looking for an arcade game or an adventure game to play, a 8 bit platformer or a platformer in general. I’m looking to play an mmorpg. Mini games are fun but when the bulk of my fun from the game is coming from mini games, i might aswell be playing a real adventure, platformer or arcade game than a water downed version of such in an MMORPG.

By the time you’re graduating you’ll be more than happy that one single casual MMO exists. Guild Wars 2 is the only option for people like me. There are no real alternatives.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Emmet.2943

Emmet.2943

People need to start their posts stating that it’s their experience or opinion rather than adding it on at the end. It seems like instead of adding to the discussion in a meaningful way you are just saying here’s what i say it’s right because I say it is.

Just saying…..

Your not just saying he/she was…..

People need to realize that when your in a forum your getting mostly opinions/thoughts/complaints of the user who is posting so you should already be thinking that way when reading posts. That is one of the big things about forums we are all speaking our minds. Unless we are speaking about facts and facts are generally accepted and passed by unless they are facts that people wish weren’t true or are to good to be true.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

People need to start their posts stating that it’s their experience or opinion rather than adding it on at the end. It seems like instead of adding to the discussion in a meaningful way you are just saying here’s what i say it’s right because I say it is.

Just saying…..

Your not just saying he/she was…..

People need to realize that when your in a forum your getting mostly opinions/thoughts/complaints of the user who is posting so you should already be thinking that way when reading posts. That is one of the big things about forums we are all speaking our minds. Unless we are speaking about facts and facts are generally accepted and passed by unless they are facts that people wish weren’t true or are to good to be true.

Perhaps you may have missed the double standard of the OP?

At one point criticizing others for presenting opinion as fact, and then proceeding to start an entirely new thread claiming they know why GW2 is designed as such?

Then again, I may be wrong, and the OP may very well speak for the GW2 design team. Imagine that….

And, “just saying” is a nice, and much less confrontational way of me saying perhaps OP may consider following their own advice.

Edit:
I do entirely agree with your view on how opinions and facts are treated in the forums. And as such, really can only look at consistency of the poster when determining how credible their opinions/facts are.

There are a number of posters whom I consider to be very positive contributors to the forums – even if we disagree on some points. The main consideration for me is that they are consistent in presenting their views.

(edited by Mourningcry.9428)

Posted by: Gundam Zephyr.6713

Gundam Zephyr.6713

Either way, this thread is ridiculous.

Posted by: Ruin.3461

Ruin.3461

It was an April Fools Day joke.

Tier 1 Casual

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i don t like nostalgia and i really hate the new dungeon…

Yet i m really grateful for that…
Its probably due to personal tastes i don t like it so its not even a problem, but they gave us:

- REAL content
- SKINS

That is actually what we asked.
And we are not even FORCED to play them…..

Finally they are doing something good after skinless numeric tier that just forced grinding….

I can t really see how some players can complain about this and enjoy ascended trinkets……

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

The target demographic is anyone above 13 and below 16. If there are adults who like that kind of stuff then they’re Disney adults. You know who they are. The ones that watch Disney movies.

This guy doesn’t understand what being an adult means.

Being an adult means it’s our turn to decide what that means. If that means watching Disney movies and filling my appartment with playpen balls … so be it. If that means having half a dozen plushies in my bed, so be it.

I’m pretty much sure you’re about 17-20 and desperately trying to be mature, knowing full well you’d much rather play with Legos. You’ll grow up, no problemo. Once you buy your first toy car again, you’ll know you’re an adult.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I thought about this a bit, and I guess I find it rather entertaining that someone from a younger generation is getting spooled up over a video game with elements attractive to an older generation.

Usually it’s the other way around.

Serves you right, you young hooligans! (cough cough wheeze…)

Posted by: dudikoff.3645

dudikoff.3645

Yes! And that’s why I like this game.

(I am 30, almost married and have a job – not allot of free time)

Posted by: Mosh.4129

Mosh.4129

Yeah! I am 28 and used to play those 8 bit games. Now I play the super adventure box with my son who associates the SAB for minecraft. He loves it.

GW2 is the best mmo atm.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Well, this escalated quickly … Guess that’s par for the course on these forums. Can’t really find anything wrong with the OPs observation, he’s pretty much correct. 10 years ago I had plenty of time, and still believed that pushing pixels really hard for 8 hours a day is an accomplishment to be proud of. Back then I probably wouldn’t have liked GW2 either.

Posted by: Iyzebel.2375

Iyzebel.2375

I am kinda oldish as well; didn’t start gaming till about 8 years ago, when I was doing some research on ‘the dangers of games’ (as in leading to violence…) in any case – I read somewhere that EQII was a game that a lot of women liked. So I decided to try playing. It took me all of 5 mins to fall in love – and the love lasted 7 years…

With some changes in my life – one being, like many in the above stated, simply not having the time – I have not played for almost a year. But I knew that some of my guildies (shout out to Silver Sanctum of Freeport; I know some of you all are in here…) from EQII had started playing GW2 – so the other day I went to the page and it had the game on sale… and here I am.

And I haven’t had so much fun since I first discovered Norrath… :P

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

While I disagree with your premise wholeheartedly (13-16-year-olds not exactly being a cash crop in terms of sustained revenue), what on Earth is wrong with “us” folks who enjoy Disney movies? You really gonna tell me you don’t like Aladdin?

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I am kinda oldish as well; didn’t start gaming till about 8 years ago, when I was doing some research on ‘the dangers of games’ (as in leading to violence…) in any case – I read somewhere that EQII was a game that a lot of women liked. So I decided to try playing. It took me all of 5 mins to fall in love – and the love lasted 7 years…

With some changes in my life – one being, like many in the above stated, simply not having the time – I have not played for almost a year. But I knew that some of my guildies (shout out to Silver Sanctum of Freeport; I know some of you all are in here…) from EQII had started playing GW2 – so the other day I went to the page and it had the game on sale… and here I am.

And I haven’t had so much fun since I first discovered Norrath… :P

Slightly off topic if I may briefly… I’m curious about your research. If you don’t mind my asking, at the time did you have a particular bias going into your research, for example expecting to find a correlation between games and violence or conversely expecting to find no such relation exists? This is just for personal curiousity, I’d find it interesting if you once were against gaming until you gave it a try yourself and reached a different conclusion. Thanks!

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I am 48 and I must agree with Gundam Zephyr. Why be proud of being sloppy? Yes it takes time and I am the last to complain about peoples writing skills but ill thought out and poorly written does not make me want to take the effort to figure out what it is you (not directed at anyone specifically) are getting at. Time away from school is no more an excuse that someone in school making what is basically the same point.

P.S. I’m 25.

Posted by: Iyzebel.2375

Iyzebel.2375

Well, Volkon – I did start out with a fairly unbiased view as to what I might find; and thus I guess pretty open to also viewing the positives. I can’t say I am fully conclusive as to what ‘it can lead to’ but I am conclusive in it not being the deeper cause for any violence it may or may not inspire. A person who would feel inspired to violence by a game, would also have found another means of getting that inspiration, if the game wasn’t there. It’s as it is with a gun; you don’t have to use it just ‘cause it’s there.

Are there disturbed people playing games? I would answer with another question; are there disturbed people in the world? So yes; the answer would be yes – as it would be in any other endeavor in this life. Are there ‘normal’ people playing games? I would say there are far more creative people playing games; people who are in touch with other than mundane living. Which I see as a positive.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

This guy doesn’t understand what being an adult means.

Being an adult means it’s our turn to decide what that means. If that means watching Disney movies and filling my appartment with playpen balls … so be it. If that means having half a dozen plushies in my bed, so be it.

I’m pretty much sure you’re about 17-20 and desperately trying to be mature, knowing full well you’d much rather play with Legos. You’ll grow up, no problemo. Once you buy your first toy car again, you’ll know you’re an adult.

Relevant XKCD..
http://xkcd.com/150/

Anyway, this thread actually reminded me of the dedication of the first narnia novel (which I read for the first time in my 30’s BTW)… something like (from memory, don’t have it at hand) “for my niece, by the time I finish writting this, she will be too old to enjoy fairy tales… so I’ll just save it for when she’s old enough to enjoy fairy tales again”.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.