Finding gear vs crafting gear vs buying gear. Which do you prefer?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sixbock.4891

sixbock.4891

I see a lot of posts where people say they are farming mats for crafting gear or farming gold for buying gear. Personally I much prefer the excitement of finding a sweet looking piece of gear from chests or drops.

I’m only level 45 right now but it seems that whenever I have bought any gear from the TP or whatever, that the next time I go out I will find a piece of gear that is better or looks cooler than what I bought.

I get much more enjoyment from being awarded cool looking gear over saving up specifically for some piece and then buying it.

Also, I much prefer to be surprised at what new gear looks like. Therefor I haven’t scoured the net for all the different armour pics or anything. I really enjoy the surprise of finding something cool.

What about you guys? Which do you prefer and why?

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

At level 80 I find that the karma exotics are the easiest to obtain but their stats are not what I desire in some cases. Because of this I tend to mix WvW with exploring/farming PvE. I don’t feel that I need everything in a week so I dont set this as an expectation. I’m taking my time gathering badges from WvW for weapons and farming specific materials for crafting the gear I want. I’m enjoying myself and I think it is because I set my expectations in a realistic fashion. I could stress out and try to get all exotics by the end of the week and make it feel like a grind or I can enjoy the journey as a task to achieve among numerous other tasks and goals. I choose to enjoy it

edit: I forgot to mention that I craft as a preferred method because I can get the stats that I want. As a Thief that doesnt use conditions I focus on Valkyrie and Beserker sets to balance high crit, power, precision and vitality. Many items that are karma or token farmed are healing, toughness and condition, which doesnt suit my style.

(edited by Elthurien.8356)

Posted by: StarlightGamer.9560

StarlightGamer.9560

I usually buy things from the TP. No reason not to. Even if I walk out and find a better piece of equipment within the next five minutes, I lose virtually nothing because I can vendor the TP gear for 1 copper less than I paid for it. I almost never craft for gear because it’s almost always cheaper just to buy it.

I always go for stats over looks on armor. I’m rarely zoomed in enough to see the details on my or anybody else’s armor. And yet I frequently decide to go through my dye colors trying to find a good look for my armor. Even though nobody will see it. Yeah.

Posted by: sixbock.4891

sixbock.4891

I hear that Elthurien. I’m sort of the same. Just playing a bunch of different ways. I will buy something now and then but like I said, I always seem to find the exact thing or something similar right after I buy it which kind of pisses me off.

Posted by: Lasarith.6193

Lasarith.6193

Apart from one Ring i have Found no karma item Worth buying, (have around 29k+ at L62, i was Salvageing everything for crafting, but then i had no cash for Tp items,

Plus since thiers Good Stuff up on the Tp – i decided to just sell everything and buy off of the Tp (but im not buying things at 50s dont care how good stats they are, (1g49 atm) Once i get a good few G then maby,

Plus – i can always craft Later, and use that xp for sp,

Edit all the Good gear i find are for Other class so i just sell that on TP if it worth more then the npc.

(edited by Lasarith.6193)

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

I crafted as I leveled, made what I could, used drops and Karma gear for the rest.

Now I’m 80 and selling pretty much everything I come across, while having a nice exotic set that I made for myself.

And I’ve got ~6g

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

Posted by: Elusive.9162

Elusive.9162

It depends on your build. Not all stats combinations are available everywhere.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Yeah I’d say it largely depends on your build. Chasing after stat combinations will often determine the content you need to play through to get it. Currently the work load for any exotic set is so high, I’m trying to nail down exactly which stats I want to use before I invest time in obtaining them. Once I’ve done that I will have to do whatever content is required to get those stats.

For the most part I found crafting to be a gold sink and in no way was it going to make anything easier for someone to obtain. Selling the mats was more profitable than selling the gear and buying the gear was cheaper than buying the mats. Farming and selling that mats and then buying the gear is usually cheaper. The only profession with any value at 80 (aside from a legendary chase) would be cooking, and the end game hasn’t evolved enough for that to become clear yet.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I prefer crafting my gear atm cause its free (i find all materials myself).

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I crafted as I leveled, made what I could, used drops and Karma gear for the rest.

Now I’m 80 and selling pretty much everything I come across, while having a nice exotic set that I made for myself.

And I’ve got ~6g

lol my warrior at lvl42 has 6g

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Adzy.8370

Adzy.8370

this is how it works for level 80’s.

Crafting to 400 – Craft your own Exotic lvl 80 gear.
Dungeon Tokens – Farm dungeons for tokens which in turn you can trade in for level 80 exotic armor/weapons.
Farm Karma – farm dynamic events for Karma in order to purchase Temple/God armor in level 80 zone “Orr”

From all of these methods you can also obtain gold, and just buy Exotic level gear off the trading post.

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

lol my warrior at lvl42 has 6g

I also bought a guild backpack(5g), a guild influence book(1g? I think) and a few other things.

So it’s not like that 6g is all I have or ever will have.

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/