First 3 HOT legendaries revealed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

Good for my money, I don’t like any of these.

Posted by: garganor.9824

garganor.9824

The Mystic Tribute is a new version of the Gift of Fortune

Didnt they say that gift of fortune would still be used?
A little miffed if this has changed as just made the gift of fortune in preperation for HoT

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Man that staff is sexy

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I want that Staff. I want it so hard.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: SimenAaserud.3598

SimenAaserud.3598

Staff too ranger themed for me.. But axe, holy <3 <3

Posted by: Unfathomed.8140

Unfathomed.8140

I need this stuff for my druid. Actually the axe would be nice too…

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I thought that by adding so many options for melee staff in the expansion, they would add an appropriate staff for a melee combatant. But the new staff looks great for “casters” just like Bifrost. I like the looks of it, and it will look more appropriate than Bifrost on many characters and builds but I’m still disappointed in it being a pure caster-like weapon.

Posted by: SimenAaserud.3598

SimenAaserud.3598

I thought that by adding so many options for melee staff in the expansion, they would add an appropriate staff for a melee combatant. But the new staff looks great for “casters” just like Bifrost. I like the looks of it, and it will look more appropriate than Bifrost on many characters and builds but I’m still disappointed in it being a pure caster-like weapon.

Same opinion here! was really hoping for a melee type staff

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Axe is cool. I’m just hoping ALL of the new legendaries aren’t BLUE.

D:

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

My hopes for an evil looking necro staff are crushed, CRUSHED I SAY!

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

ANet forgot how to count… There are 19 weapons in the game, and they’re talking about the full set of 16? Might as well remove any river, lake and sea…

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Nevermore looks pretty great. I hadn’t ruled out the Bifrost for my ele (assuming I could ever afford one,) but the new staff is pretty sweet.

Does it look like the new weapons reskin your character’s arm while wielding them? Astralaria’s wielder has a space-patterned arm, while Nevermore seems to cover the arm in black feathers. Looks like H.O.P.E. doesn’t retexture the whole arm, but covers it in electricity. I like the look on H.O.P.E. and Nevermore, but I’ll have to see more of the axe before I can made up my mind about it.

Also, while I like Quip and the Bifrost, this should be good news for players who don’t.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

What? It looks like a great staff for Necros!

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

Also, while I like Quip and the Bifrost, this should be good news for players who don’t.

Not for me, I don’t like either of the pistols

A bit confused about the text though, did I understand correctly that the gift of the mists is made out of the components gift of battle & glory & war for each legendary? Or is it made out of either?

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

ANet forgot how to count… There are 19 weapons in the game, and they’re talking about the full set of 16? Might as well remove any river, lake and sea…

In fairness, I’ve never heard anyone complain that Kraitkin, Frenzy, or Kamohoali’i Kotaki weren’t cool enough, just that they’re pointless to make because there’s not enough underwater content to enjoy them with. Considering how long the blog post indicates it takes to develop the new legendaries, I’m totally okay with them skipping water ones this time. (And I like aquatic combat.)

A bit confused about the text though, did I understand correctly that the gift of the mists is made out of the components gift of battle & glory & war for each legendary? Or is it made out of either?

Both paragraphs referring to the Gift of the Mists are pretty confusing. I think the Gift of Battle is made out of the Gifts of Battle, Glory, and War. I can’t tell if " Gift of Battle, which is purchased for Badges of Honor and a special material crafted of ascended and fractal materials" means they’re changing the cost for a Gift of Battle, or if the Gift of Mists is made of Battle/Glory/War plus a nw material. (Possibly “Dark Energy,” from this earlier blog post.)

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: tuck.2719

tuck.2719

It’s not clear from the article whether the new Mystic Tribute will apply to only the new legendaries or whether they’re reworking all the old ones to use it as well. I think only for new ones but I’m not certain:

A legendary weapon recipe from the second set is comprised of a specific precursor weapon, the new Gift of Maguuma Mastery, a Mystic Tribute, and a unique gift associated with the legendary weapon being made.

The Mystic Tribute is a new version of the Gift of Fortune and contains a greater variety of trophies and mystic objects than the Gift of Fortune.

(edited by tuck.2719)

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Nevermore looks unique. However, H.O.P.E looks like the Pistol version of Bolt and Astralaria looks like the cousin of Eternity. It makes me feel not very excited about the latter…

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I actually kind of like the staff, but I’m really disappointed in it. With HoT they introduced two melee staff users. They had the opportunity with this legendary to give a legendary staff that would look appropriate being used as a melee weapon. The thing about a melee staff is that it works, thematically, just as well for an arcane implement, but mystical appearing staves do not look appropriate in melee.

I like the axe and the pistol, I really like the aura taking over the wielding hand, that’s cool. I just think they could have gone in a different direction with the staff. I will most likely not be getting that one.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Posted by: OneYenShort.3189

OneYenShort.3189

While I think the weapons are very attractive…

I absolutely HATE the fact that they apparently change your arm into some form of “element”.

I am not part of Groot, lightning bolt, elemental, or whatever other what have you out there.

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

no stat information what so ever at all . sigh meaning not even worth bothering with at all. till stat info comes to light in the mean time just keep money in the bank and enjoy the game . and make more game money .

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Good for my money, I don’t like any of these.

I second that. I think some of the Gem store skins are better than the Legendary ones.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Pretty sure the old ones stay the same (same mats same precursor to make.)

Then we have the 2nd gen coming with HoT that are made differently.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

JQ Druid

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

The staff suits my necro so much I’d swear they designed it with him specifically in mind!

Draknar.5748

Dead branch with crows seems ranger themed to you? That’s about as necro as a staff can get!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Looks like they have killed UW weapons me then. Rip UW combat. 2012-2015

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Draknar.5748

I don’t follow. How do these new legendaries kill UW combat?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I was going to say I thought it was a raven in the staff, but I can’t see its tail, and the flock in the wielded screenshot looks like crows.
https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-raven-crow

And then I saw this and, yeah, even though Norns follow Raven, that’s pretty clearly a crow sitting in the staff.
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Crow_vs_Raven

BrotherBelial.3094

I don’t follow. How do these new legendaries kill UW combat?

I’ll see if I can find the post, but someone posted that he numbers ANet have given out are 3 short for the weapons we have, so they’ve implied that the missing 3 are underwater weapons. And seeing as ANet have removed as much of UW combat from other game modes like PvP and WvW, it makes sence.

EDIT: found the post I was talking about.

…Again…

From today’s news post:

we will be releasing new legendary weapons in small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game.

There are 19 weapon types in the game. Three of them being the aquatic weapons. ArenaNet seems intent on not making new versions of these three weapons, and now we have confirmation that hold no intent to make a second legendary for them.

This is rather disappointing. Rather than having ArenaNet ignore underwater content, I’d rather they put some effort to improving it. And even if that’s a long-term goal, making 3 skins per weapon set they’re doing shouldn’t be that hard (even more so when so many tridents already share skins with staves, and spearguns with rifles).

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Well I hope the system for acquiring these is fun. Without the ability to buy these(which I think is a great idea, that way they are legendary)I really do hope that the system is a very engaging one to partake in. It would be a shame if the system was panned as being to grindy. We shall see. Also, why put all the time an effort into a new system and not have the artists make a full set available for the launch of HoT? Kinda makes me think that HoT is going to slow drip content out over the course of a year or two and then we will finally battle Mordy.

Kudos on the designs though. They are really cool looking. I hope you can keep a regular time table on the release of these. We have waited a long time and as a community have had to show a lot of patience after being told a number of times they were coming only to have it not happen.

I am really disappointed these were locked behind the HoT paywall. You guys told us these were coming before you even had any notion of doing an x-pac. Disapointing for those of us not convinced that HoT is going to be all that good but love the base game. The people that waited so long for these shouldn’t be forced to buy HoT to get em. Oh well. YOu made the decision to do so and those of us who waited for these but won’t be purchasing HoT will have to admire them from afar even though we thought we were getting them in 2013.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Iason Evan.3806)

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I might go for the staff, but thats about it.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Quoth the Raven….Nevermore!

BrotherBelial.3094

Quoth the Raven….Nevermore!

I like how the recycle the name.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Nevermore_Flatbow

Good to see originality it alive and well.

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Astralaria – new twilight/sunrise. And no melee staff.. Revs and DD got shafted guyyysss

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Personally i like everything i’ve read. Thumbs up.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Axe is just Twilight copy.
Pistol is aether rifle slight copy.
Staff is datamined 2 years ago and look good.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Official proof that melee staff is already forgotten.

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

pistol is more like Bolt with lightning extended to the arm.

Posted by: Avit.3165

Avit.3165

…and again, a new set of legendary which only gonna looks good on female characters, please hire a male designer.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

and it’s farmville to get the mats to make them- make sure you do fractals, wvw, spvp as well as endless mat farms so you can get the required items…

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The Pistol better pew pew or SAB Pistol gonna laugh at it.

Looking forward to seeing the Staff in Melee action. Wonder if it’ll be like Mad King runes and cause Birdageddon.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Official proof that melee staff is already forgotten.

More like official proof this is an item design from 2 years ago (vastly predating DD/Rev) that is just now finally seeing the light of day.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It’s not clear from the article whether the new Mystic Tribute will apply to only the new legendaries or whether they’re reworking all the old ones to use it as well. I think only for new ones but I’m not certain:

A legendary weapon recipe from the second set is comprised of a specific precursor weapon, the new Gift of Maguuma Mastery, a Mystic Tribute, and a unique gift associated with the legendary weapon being made.

The Mystic Tribute is a new version of the Gift of Fortune and contains a greater variety of trophies and mystic objects than the Gift of Fortune.

Seems clear to me

Gift of Mastery -> Gift of Maguuma Mastery
Gift of Fortune -> Mystic Tribute
Gift of <legendary> (unchanged)
<precursor> (unchanged)

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

Unfortunately none of these really blew my mind with regards to design. The pistol is definitely a welcome addition next to Quip. Also having a legendary effect going up to the arm is not something I expected and is pretty unique. However, having the arm effect overly present on every new legendary could be viewed by some as over the top.

I would’ve rather seen a mace, focus or fongbow in the first batch instead of the Axe though. The Frostfang is fine and didn’t really need to be prioritized in my opinion.

Really looking forward to what other legendaries we’re going to get.

(edited by Noah.4756)

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Staff would more suit a Necromancer than ranger, at least in my opinion.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I was going to say I thought it was a raven in the staff, but I can’t see its tail, and the flock in the wielded screenshot looks like crows.
https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-raven-crow

And then I saw this and, yeah, even though Norns follow Raven, that’s pretty clearly a crow sitting in the staff.
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Crow_vs_Raven

someone obviously hasn’t seen tyrian ravens. that’s obviously a tyrian raven in that staff. I think you’re just confusing it with the ravens from Earth

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The most interesting bit seems to be

Gift of Glory, purchased with the new tradable material Shards of Glory

Gift of War, purchased with a new tradeable material, Memories of Battle

Posted by: bokkieskitten.8023

bokkieskitten.8023

I was excited about the staff… ravens, sweet! It’ll match my reaper…

Until…

I saw it being held and there was that blue light…

nope.jpg

Why not the colour scheme from the reaper’s shroud?

All I want is a dark, brutally metal staff with awesome effects for my necro. That’s all I want for Wintersday, Anet. ;_;

Her Majesty Lillium Honeybuns, Queen of IoJ[BUNS]
Companion of Starlight Honeybuns.
You stole me, and I stole you.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Sure, sure. Meanwhile, the amount of new Legendary weapons introduced with HoT’s release just went from 3 to zero – they will add the first three legendaries later, not at release:

Linsey Murdock

Collections for the existing legendary weapons will be available on launch day, while the first three new legendaries will become available shortly after launch, alongside raids.

When was the last time they promised new legendary weapons for “later”?

Oh right, in 2013! When they said we would see new legendary weapons during that year! Only, we didn’t.

Meanwhile, the amount of “HoT content” that won’t be there when HoT releases is increasing: raids (of which we will get the first part of the first wing soon after release, whatever that means, and who knows when we will get more), the new squad system, and now the first three new legendary weapons (and who knows when we will get the rest).

Speaking about “the rest”, has anyone noticed this quote?

Linsey Murdock

we will be releasing new legendary weapons in small groups at regular intervals until the full set of sixteen has been added to the game

Uh… There are nineteen weapon types in the game.

Who wants to bet that ArenaNet has given up on making new aquatic legendary weapons?

And who else isn’t surprised that the so-called “new set” isn’t actually a full new set?

(edited by Test.8734)