First person view?

First person view?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Its coming up to the two year mark, and I was wondering if there was any sign that we will have first person view?
There is no earthly reason why we shoudn’t have it, considering the amount of content that actually requires it, other than some spurious psycho babble about 3rd person view making us more ‘emotionally’ connected to our characters.
(its just as easy to make a counter argument that first person view makes us more emotionally connected to the game as we view it as ourselves participating)

So come on guys, wev been asking for this since day one, please give us first person view, its not asking that much.

Thank you for your time.

First person view?

Posted by: Demwar.3160

Demwar.3160

I can actualy see the reasoning behind not implementing 1st person view as it wasn’t the way they wanted players to play the game.

BUT.. They should implement a mode that allows you to go 1st person view only if not doing any action or in combat.
That would add much more play time of people just standing, enjoying the view.. It’ll be awesome..

First person view?

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

BUT.. They should implement a mode that allows you to go 1st person view only if not doing any action or in combat.

Isn’t combat exactly where you’d want to have first person view?

BG

First person view?

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

There has already been an official statement of why they will not have a 1st person view. It was stated not long after release.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

First person view?

Posted by: Demwar.3160

Demwar.3160

@Kanebrake. Oh no, not at all.. I would like it for the view and for taking amazing screenshots..
That’s what immersion is all about

First person view?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Are you suggesting it as a “challenge” mode of sorts? I can think of no other reason you would want to reduce your field of view and eliminate the visual awareness of the surroundings during a fight.

I’m quite baffled as to why anyone would want this in a game designed for 3rd person combat? There are plenty of FPS games on the market that were DESIGNED to provide challenging combat from First Person view.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

First person view?

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Combat aside, (woudn’t like to use it for that personally) it would be nice to have for doing jumping puzzels to stop camera crash.
If im in town and talking to friends, it would also be nice to have. Some of the character facial animations are pretty well lost at the moment, unless you actually take time to have a close look, ie charr, wrinkles nose and sniffs the air—-all characters blink etc.

At the end of the day, its another extension of ‘play as you want’.

First person view?

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Are you suggesting it as a “challenge” mode of sorts? I can think of no other reason you would want to reduce your field of view and eliminate the visual awareness of the surroundings during a fight.

I’m quite baffled as to why anyone would want this in a game designed for 3rd person combat? There are plenty of FPS games on the market that were DESIGNED to provide challenging combat from First Person view.

And what would you do with animations where your point of view is all over the place? Dodge rolling, Roll for Initiative and Withdraw, not to mention horrors like Death Blossom. Surely you cannot be talking about immersion in one breathe and in the next complain about how some skills should not alter your point-of-view according to the animation of the skill.

And what would different character heights? Surely you cannot implement a proper 1st person view without taking into account the height of the character. And that would probably result in some issues with playing an Asura, since they’re kinda short.

And what would you do with the Personal Story? The dialogue scenes are narrated from an obvious third person view, so you would have to do them all again for 1st person. That’s a lot of work.

And yes, the developers totally have the right to dictate how they want you to experience their game. There are tons of such choices. The way the maps are organized is one. Different races not having different base movement speeds is another. We have 1st person shooter and 3rd person shooters for a reason and it sure as hell is not “well we were too lazy to implement other options”. The different perspectives give a different experience.

Heck, the most obvious reason for forcing 3rd person view? The character customization. If you had 1st person view, you would barely ever see your character. That right there is a lot of beautiful design work gone down the drain.

First person view?

Posted by: Loxorz.6847

Loxorz.6847

Heck, the most obvious reason for forcing 3rd person view? The character customization. If you had 1st person view, you would barely ever see your character. That right there is a lot of beautiful design work gone down the drain.

But you get to see other player’s characters a lot more clearly, so I’d argue that you get to see even more of that beautiful design work with 1st person mode. Personally, I remember that running around GW1 Kamadan in 1st person made me look at other players a lot more compared to 3rd person, and I’d appreciate much more how they’d dressed their characters.

A (imo better) argument is that character progression in GW2 is largely cosmetic, so you can’t see your own character’s progression while you’re in 1st person mode, but even then it’s not like you’d be locked in 1st person mode; they could make it like GW1 in that you can effortlessly scroll back to 3rd person any time you wanted.

First person view?

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

If this game has first person view, it’d work PERFECT with the Oculus Rift.
Imagine viewing Queensdale in VR and watching the magnificent view of Divinity Reach on the horizon.

Make it happen ANET!

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

First person view?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If they add 1st person then players will ask to see their arms and weapons they are wielding. It also means higher rez textures because if the camera normally can’t get too close you can cheat making super high rez textures. Also the flip/tumble animations in first person could get a bit disorienting during combat not to mention the hit on frame rate because your PoV is swinging wildly about.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes