Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Adamixos.6785

Adamixos.6785

Hello everyone!

First, allow me to say that the Fiery Dragon Sword from Hall of Monuments is an absolutely fantastic skin, and it has been my favourite weapon in the game ever since seeing it the hands of Ascalonian royalty so many years ago (yeah, I am bit sentimental, and a lore nerd~).

Still, the weapon has one critical issue, a bug if you will. The light source effect and the bright flames look great when the weapon is drawn, so I am not asking to change that, at all. On the other hand, the same effects are very tiresome to look at whilst the sword is stowed. The constant light source is disturbing after a while (it really is weary on the eyes), and the flame effect makes the tip of the blade sink into the ground, ultimately breaking immersion. So, I have a two changes to propose to the devs:

1. Completely remove OR tone down the light source effect of the weapon when it is stowed. I believe it is much better if it only lights up when drawn, just like torches.

2. Completely remove OR tone down the fire effect to a minimal level when the weapon is stowed. In this case, of course, the flames would still ignite when you draw the weapon. It would have that cool lightsaber effect like Rytlock’s Sohothin.

In general, it would be nice if HoM rewards were revisited, especially this sword, which I believe deserves the attention and effort to be fixed.

Thank you for reading, and please do share your opinions!

(edited by Adamixos.6785)

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

No. It’s fine the way it is. It has an unique look and it doesn’t need to be “fixed” because some random person on the forum wants to make it lesser.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i also have to disagree… sry :/

i like that there still is a a bit of light when it is stowed…
would much more seem like a bug to me that needs fix if it wasnt like that

i guess you have to swap to your other weaponset without a light effect weapon while walking with stowed weapon :P

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Adamixos.6785

Adamixos.6785

Okay, let me edit the thread a bit. I am removing optional suggestion 2. b) as that one is really not popular.

To clarify, 2. a) suggests to simply tone down the flames when the weapon is stowed, so it wouldn’t sink into the ground on Human, Asura, and Sylvari characters.

As for the first suggestion, it simply asks for the removal of the light source effect, again, only when the weapon is stowed. Imo it would go smoothly with suggestion 2. a).

Thanks for the replies so far!

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I… actually like the light from it when it’s stowed. Helps me out in dark areas in the game and makes me wish I could have a similar light source on my non-sword using characters.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I… actually like the light from it when it’s stowed. Helps me out in dark areas in the game and makes me wish I could have a similar light source on my non-sword using characters.

The flames themselves don’t give off the light. There is an actual light box thingy of a sort that is attached to the sword. It’s why not all items that look like they should be a light source are. OP is suggesting the flames be adjusted, not the light source.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I love the ambient glow while the sword is stowed. I’m sorry the OP doesn’t.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: NayNay.7680

NayNay.7680

The light effect is fine. I do, however, agree that the constant flamethrower breaks immersion.

Ral Xarek | Asura Elementalist
Peacemaker Ral |Asura Mesmer

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I like the sword the way it is too. Got used to it i guess.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Getting this skin was one of the reasons I bought GW1 a couple of years ago, and when I finally reached that level of HoM points I pulled it out and thought “…oh…”. I thought for sure the flames would be off while its “sheathed” but no, and I don’t use it for the travelling weapon set. Looks silly. I imagine the character wearing it running going “ow…ow…kitten ouch!…Dwayna no ow…ow”.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

In a single word. No.

I love this sword the way it is. Yes I use it. My warrior and now my Revenant use it. I like you OP think it is the best sword skin in the game.

There is nothing to be “fixed” about it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

This sounds good to me. I agree that it is a constant strain. I really wish they would make some of the other HoM skins better though.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

I really wish they would make some of the other HoM skins better though.

Agree, I was thinking about it lately. Nowadays on BL skins, designers are hell bent to put environmental maps to make things shiny, even if this effect disappears in darker areas, leaving the skins ugly.

Some of the old skins could benefit from adding a little bit more detail and shine here and there, even the basic ones. HoM skins especially, since they already are nicely detailed, but seem dull like they haven’t got any normal or specular maps on them

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I really wish they would make some of the other HoM skins better though.

Agree, I was thinking about it lately. Nowadays on BL skins, designers are hell bent to put environmental maps to make things shiny, even if this effect disappears in darker areas, leaving the skins ugly.

Some of the old skins could benefit from adding a little bit more detail and shine here and there, even the basic ones. HoM skins especially, since they already are nicely detailed, but seem dull like they haven’t got any normal or specular maps on them

they are copy’s of GW1 skins for the most part. I think the torch, war horn and hammer are the only weapons not to appear in GW1. The full set armor skins are all from the concept art rom the classes in GW1. they are not meant to be flashy, they come from a different time.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I agree with the OP. It looks silly to have an active flamethrower attached to your leg when you’re not fighting.

It’d also make drawing your dragon sword look so much cooler if the flames ignited as you drew it.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

it’s the whole reason why i barely to never use the skin, the light source when it’s in the sheet should be gone.
i see this skin like a lightsaber, you have it lid when you use it but disable it when you stow it away.

ether have it gone when stowed or have an option to do so….

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Flop Sweat.3456

Flop Sweat.3456

Mmmmm… charred leg…

Come on, guys, even Rytlock extinguishes the flame when he sheathes it.

It’s common sense.

Keep the ambient glow, however. Give the sword white hot metal when sheathed.

Graey Mance-Iron Legion Engineer.
There when you need him.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Try http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Firebringer

If i remember right it has no light effect.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

I’m actually in agreement as far as the actual length of the flames, especially when stowed. It’s a little too long. I don’t really mind the lighting effect, though.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Some environments need to be less reflective like snow or all of Malchor’s Leap.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

No. It’s fine the way it is.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I had to log into GW1 to remind myself that we didn’t stow weapons in that engine....

I like it how it is, though. Figure it’s an enchanted sword, no reason why it couldn’t be "smart" enough not to harm the wielder.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Only thing I’d change is the length. I’ve been going with dual swords for a fire and ice effect. The Corrupted Blade is about a foot longer than the Fiery Dragon Sword, making the Fiery seem tiny.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Would be better to make an alternate version than actually changing it for everyone.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Fix Fiery Dragon Sword!

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Or even have a “Particle Effects While Sheathed: On/Off” switch in the game menu.