Fix Fort Mariner Waypoint PLEASE

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

We get it. Mordremoth bad, he eats waypoints, etc. But seriously, the Fort Mariner waypoint is central for WvW players, particularly on reset night. Its proximity to the mist gates, the guild bank, the guild commendation trader, and the laurel vendor makes it arguably the most used waypoint in the game, right before it was permanently disabled. Its been disabled for months now. Yes, this is probably a whine, but I am so tired of constantly having to run to get to Fort Mariner for whatever it is I need from it. Its not a big issue, but its one of those niggling annoying things. Like a paper cut that never heals. Constantly reminding you of its existence week in and week out.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

(edited by Aeros.2046)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It was probably disabled to spread people out, but I agree, it’s annoying.

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

The reason people went to Fort Mariner are the same reasons people go to it now. Because that is where Anet decided to put almost all of the Lions Arch personal story nodes, all the guild stuff in Lions Arch, the ONLY guild commendation vendor in the game, the WvW Mist Gates, The laurel vendor and so on. Its for these reasons that people are having to hoof it to Fort Mariner now. They simply disabled the waypoint but did not remove the reasons why people went there in the first place. Its not game breaking. Its just in your face obnoxious.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

Posted by: NeedsFoodBadly.2671

NeedsFoodBadly.2671

The reason people went to Fort Mariner are the same reasons people go to it now. Because that is where Anet decided to put almost all of the Lions Arch personal story nodes, all the guild stuff in Lions Arch, the ONLY guild commendation vendor in the game, the WvW Mist Gates, The laurel vendor and so on. Its for these reasons that people are having to hoof it to Fort Mariner now. They simply disabled the waypoint but did not remove the reasons why people went there in the first place. Its not game breaking. Its just in your face obnoxious.

Yeah, I just came back to the game after a long break and I don’t get it. Anet doesn’t want a whole bunch of people at the Fort Mariner WP? For…uh…what reason? There’s a whole bunch of people at the Mystic Dump, so why not disable that WP? Why disable any WP? Sigh.

Remember: Don’t Shoot Food!

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

Yeah, I just came back to the game after a long break and I don’t get it. Anet doesn’t want a whole bunch of people at the Fort Mariner WP? For…uh…what reason? There’s a whole bunch of people at the Mystic Dump, so why not disable that WP? Why disable any WP? Sigh.

Probable thread:

“OMG ANET my FPS drops to -420 whenever I go to Fort Marriner! SO MANY PEOPLE! TOO MANY PEOPLE! Pls fix ty ty <3”

I mean, would you be surprised by such a thread? I wouldn’t. But I agree, it seems odd to simply disable the WP and NOT remove any of the reasons why Fort Mariner is so heavily populated.

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

Vayne.8563

There have been threads about too much lag in LA. This was a way to force people to spread out.

How often do you really need a guild commendation vendor? You can get the guild bank from NPCs in other locations.

There are a lot more people in other cities than Lion’s Arch now. Because of this change.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

this is not a valid complaint…….get walking

Posted by: Shena Fu.5792

Shena Fu.5792

if it’s too crowded, then spread out the vendors and gates and other dozens of reasons why people crowd to the same area. there’s areas that nobody visits, so put the vendors and kitten there. solve the root of the problem instead of applying an annoying bandage that stays for months and for the foreseeable future

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

Running from Bloodcoast Ward waypoint is not that bad, but yes I agree this is a bit annoying.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

You could just go through the pvp lobby…

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

Um there is a Laurel vendor at Postern Ward wp and there is a guild commendation vendor at Trader’s Forum wp.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Press b

Go to obsidium sanctum

Exit to LA

Profit

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

What’s even worse, it doesn’t show up as contested until you are in LA. In fact, all contested waypoint in the PvE maps are like this.

You click on a waypoint in another map, loading screen, message about the way point you tried to go to is contested and so you are sent to another one.

Is it really too much to show them as being contested before hand?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

What’s even worse, it doesn’t show up as contested until you are in LA. In fact, all contested waypoint in the PvE maps are like this.

You click on a waypoint in another map, loading screen, message about the way point you tried to go to is contested and so you are sent to another one.

they cant because of the mega server, the game doesnt know which map instance you will be thrown into and as such it does not know which waypoints on said map are contested until you get there and since each map can have different waypoints contested on each map, showing them as contested would be even more annoying.

LA could possibly be an excception, but then again maybe not because of said mention above of the different server maps

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

(edited by Dante.1763)

Vayne.8563

The mega server, when you way point, doesn’t know which instance of the map you’re going to be put on. So it can’t predetermine a contested waypoint.

If your server is contested, but you end up on another server, it may not be. Of course, the Fort Marriner thing is always contested, but the system was put in place since most contested waypoints aren’t consistently contested.

You click on the waypoint before the megaserver knows where it’s going to put you. It would be silly the other way around, since you’re asking the game to do a calculation that you’ll not end up using. It sort of has to be this way.

It was changed when the megaserver was introduced.

Deamhan.9538

Pure speculation and completely wrong.

First of all, know the difference between instancing and server. Even before the megaserver, maps could fill up and result in multiple map instances.

The game will put you into the fullest map that still has space available. So the game knows beforehand what instance it will place players who attempt to go there via waypoint.

Vayne.8563

First of all, know the difference between instancing and server. Even before the megaserver, maps could fill up and result in multiple map instances.

The game will put you into the fullest map that still has space available. So the game knows beforehand what instance it will place players who attempt to go there via waypoint.

Umm no. What you are saying is factually wrong.

First of all, my pure speculation was in the patch notes. More importantly the megaserver does NOT put you in the fullest map with space still available. Where you got that idea from is beyond me.

There is an algorhythm that takes into account many factors of where you’ll be put, including your home world, your guild and your friends list. It finds the best match for you, in theory anyway) and places you there.

This was all covered by Anet in great detail.

Edit: Here’s a quote from the April 15th patch notes:

“Instead of overflow and home world maps, players will now simply end up in the map that makes the most sense for them, depending on their social environment (party, guild, home world, and more).”

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

First off, back before megaservers, contested waypoints were server based and thus could be displayed on the overhead map. If you got thrown into an overflow map, that was an unforseen result and there was little that could be done to correct this.

Second, it’s not conjecture because they said when megaservers were being introduced, they could no longer reliably predict if the instance will be contested or not and so they’d be turning it off universally. Thus, any statement about how waypoints worked before becomes completely invalid and irrelevent. Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-system-world-bosses-and-events/

Deamhan.9538

The only thing that causes a waypoint in PvE to contest is an active event. There are two kinds of events. Time based events and character activated events.

It’s quite possible for the time events to be synced across map instances (some already are) and for character triggered events to not affect waypoints.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The only thing that causes a waypoint in PvE to contest is an active event. There are two kinds of events. Time based events and character activated events.

It’s quite possible for the time events to be synced across map instances (some already are) and for character triggered events to not affect waypoints.

And different servers/maps whatever you want to call them will have those events going on at different times. And since the game picks a map best suited to you, it cant display what waypoints are active on the overworld map.

You can argue as much as you want i guess. but this is how the game works.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

My guess is that this is an oversight left over from when LA was under attack, though I missed that event, so I don’t really know. It does seem rather odd, though. Then again, I am not fond of the whole contested waypoint thing. What does it add to the game, except frustration?

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

My guess is that this is an oversight left over from when LA was under attack, though I missed that event, so I don’t really know. It does seem rather odd, though. Then again, I am not fond of the whole contested waypoint thing. What does it add to the game, except frustration?

Nope, this broken waypoint, and several other broken waypoints, are from July’s living story chapters where vines attacked the waypoint system and broke some of them. Taimi protected the waypoints from further attacks, but the ones that did break have remained broken ever since. There are two broken waypoints by Fort Concordia, and a broken waypoint in the Durmand Priory camp in Bribane Wildlands.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Um there is a Laurel vendor at Postern Ward wp and there is a guild commendation vendor at Trader’s Forum wp.

There’s no guild bank at Postern Ward. There’s nothing much beyond guild vendor at Trader’s forum. The only place in LA where all of the services are available is Fort Marriner.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

We get it. Mordremoth bad, he eats waypoints, etc. But seriously, the Fort Mariner waypoint is central for WvW players, particularly on reset night. Its proximity to the mist gates, the guild bank, the guild commendation trader, and the laurel vendor makes it arguably the most used waypoint in the game, right before it was permanently disabled. Its been disabled for months now. Yes, this is probably a whine, but I am so tired of constantly having to run to get to Fort Mariner for whatever it is I need from it. Its not a big issue, but its one of those niggling annoying things. Like a paper cut that never heals. Constantly reminding you of its existence week in and week out.

This WP being the most used of the game is PRECISELY the reason why it was shut down.

That allowed LA’s population to spread out and make the city more “populated”. A good move in my humble opinion. A little running won’t kill you.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone