Fix the delay already

Fix the delay already

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mitlandir.8306

Mitlandir.8306

You promised us a slick UI, I’ve been waiting ever since launch full of understanding for the new and unpolished game, but your promise is overdue now. The game is not slick in any possible way.
And please do not say “I do not have any lag” because I’m sure anyone saying this simply cannot notice the delay. I’ve talked to and agreed with many people on this issue. It’s on every spell and ability and even though the icon instantly lights up, the effect goes off a bit later. It’s like playing with 200 ms constantly when I in fact have 40 ms of ping towards any other EU server. And please don’t say ignorant stuff such as “maybe your Internet connection is unstable”… please… just don’t…

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

Umm, I play from Barrow Alaska. My internet is poop compared to you. I do not have any lag. My ping is 600+. I will say this because you are crying over nothing.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

I dont think Dradiin gets it.
Its that thing that World of Warcraft has. I call it the “it” factor.

In WoW, when you swing your sword, turn the camera, hit another player, it is instant, the sound matches the animation and everything else. There is something about it that meshes perfectly. The map has a nice “click” sound when you open it. All of these little tiny things add up and I truly believe effect your brain. Blizzard did their research.

My main issue is that the camera turns a split second after you turn your character. Go ahead, fire up most MMOs. See how you can move your character around? Watch how he turns. Now log back into GW2. When you walk and turn the camera there is this tiny delay. It may not be noticeable for all, but its there.

(edited by darkwombat.3695)

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

I do not have any lag.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: holotype.1643

holotype.1643

It sounds like you’re trying to apply a local problem to a global population. The only time I ever see delay is when I am in WvW with a large number of players in my vicinity. Horrible delay, sometimes shutting down half of my skills. Luckily, this doesn’t happen alot (in truth my poor frame rate in WvW, another related issue, is one reason why I haven’t enjoyed WvW much.)

But that’s not what you’re asserting. You’re saying that there is an inherent delay in the game that all of us are experiencing all the time, and if we’re not seeing it it’s becuase we’re not skilled enough to detect it, and finally that Anet’s UI is the opposite of slick: it’s garbled, inneffective, unintuitive, rough around the edges. Am I reading you correctly?

Championing Blackgate since Aug. 25, 2012
[UV]

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Hellfire.3521

Hellfire.3521

No.

As someone who will freak out over even the slightest amount of input delay (from connection issues or input lag [skill not activating immediately upon keyboard input]), I can promise you 100% that this is NOT a problem everyone is experiencing. I have spent hours upon hours in previous games trying to improve input response times, usually with no success, because it bothers me to the point where I will quit on the spot if I can’t fix it.

I would not be playing this game if it had the serious widespread problem you’re trying to say is present.

Oh, and I hope to GOD you’re not playing with Vsynch on. I’m just assuming you’re not completely uneducated here.

Edit: Seriously, if any of you guys have Vsynch turned on, go turn it off and try again.

Doth thine even hoist?

(edited by Hellfire.3521)

Fix the delay already

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

I do not have any lag
maybe your Internet connection is unstable

because talking with many people who agree with you is proof that something’s wrong.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Fox Soul.4809

Fox Soul.4809

me too
i do not have any lag
Sorry mate, but sure is your problem Call to your ISP if you have lag or DC problems.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Hate to break it to you, but it’s probably on your end.

Anet make Rev great again.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

What delay? Never had a problem with this.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

In WoW, when you swing your sword, turn the camera, hit another player, it is instant, the sound matches the animation and everything else. There is something about it that meshes perfectly. The map has a nice “click” sound when you open it. All of these little tiny things add up and I truly believe effect your brain. Blizzard did their research.

My main issue is that the camera turns a split second after you turn your character. Go ahead, fire up most MMOs. See how you can move your character around? Watch how he turns. Now log back into GW2. When you walk and turn the camera there is this tiny delay. It may not be noticeable for all, but its there.

HUH ? how do i not get it ?

I completely understand what the OP is talking about and the unrealistic assumption you think needs to be in this game.

You seem to think this is another game called WoW and it needs to be like that game, maybe you need to go play that game ?

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

Haha at people saying “this is not WoW so it doesn’t need to be slick” and “I have 600 ms so you’re crying over nothing”. Oh, and those saying “I don’t have any delay” when I KNOW they do but just can’t notice. I’ve compared this to so many other people and also done all research regarding ping and fps. I ping google with 40 ms and in any other game (LoL for example) I have 40 ms and everything is prefectly responsive. I could DL wow right now and compare how horribly inferior gw2 is to it IN THAT RESPECT.

And the fact that camera is slow as well. I repeat this one more time: IT IS NOT ON MY END. I HAVE A PERFECT CONNECTION AND I CAN CLEARLY SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN ANY OTHER GAME.

And who the hell uses vertical synch… seriously… Of course it’s off.

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

Seriously, because of people like this Anet fail to see this really annoying problem and then don’t even bother fixing it. Would it mean to you that (aside from dozens more) a gladiator from WoW (yes, say what you will but gladiator means he’s at least a competitive gamer) notices this issue INSTANTANEOUSLY upon loging onto this game?

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

No delay here, no lag at all.

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Yeah it’s the first thing I noticed when I played this game as well. It doesn’t have the responsiveness that WoW has, I got over it pretty quickly because at the time, this game was trying to make its own mark on the MMO market rather than compete with WoW.

But things have changed obviously, the lack of polish this game has isn’t limited to bugs and content, its apparent with the engine itself.

Fix the delay already

Tiger.7506

Never had a problem with this !

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

Yeah it’s the first thing I noticed when I played this game as well. It doesn’t have the responsiveness that WoW has, I got over it pretty quickly because at the time, this game was trying to make its own mark on the MMO market rather than compete with WoW.

But things have changed obviously, the lack of polish this game has isn’t limited to bugs and content, its apparent with the engine itself.

It’s not about competing with WoW, it’s about improving the game on the whole. I can get used to it after a while, but I must admit that more often than not having my abilities fire off 200 milliseconds later than they should just kills all the fun for me.

Fix the delay already

Tiger.7506

Sorry mate, but sure is your problem Call to your ISP if you have lag or DC problems.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

If there is a delay when you turn the camera, then your problem is graphics being set too high. Camera turning happens entirely on the client end, no internet traffic is involved at all.
I also have had this happen in other games, the sort of sluggish feel you get, like the camera has inertia and it takes a split second for it to get up to speed. Lower your graphic or sound settings, see if it goes away or is reduced. But it definitely has nothing to do with lag.

Lag delays are to blame only when you notice a delay between your commands and character action, mostly limited to skill activation.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

No.

As someone who will freak out over even the slightest amount of input delay (from connection issues or input lag [skill not activating immediately upon keyboard input]), I can promise you 100% that this is NOT a problem everyone is experiencing. I have spent hours upon hours in previous games trying to improve input response times, usually with no success, because it bothers me to the point where I will quit on the spot if I can’t fix it.

I would not be playing this game if it had the serious widespread problem you’re trying to say is present.

Oh, and I hope to GOD you’re not playing with Vsynch on. I’m just assuming you’re not completely uneducated here.

Edit: Seriously, if any of you guys have Vsynch turned on, go turn it off and try again.

Well if you’re absolutely sure that’s the case can you please spare some advice? But not the obvious stuff such as – Make sure your PC isn’t overtasked, or Make sure you’re not downloading something while playing or Make sure a cat isn’t nibbling on your ethernet cable.

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

If there is a delay when you turn the camera, then your problem is graphics being set too high. Camera turning happens entirely on the client end, no internet traffic is involved at all.
I also have had this happen in other games, the sort of sluggish feel you get, like the camera has inertia and it takes a split second for it to get up to speed. Lower your graphic or sound settings, see if it goes away or is reduced. But it definitely has nothing to do with lag.

Lag delays are to blame only when you notice a delay between your commands and character action, mostly limited to skill activation.

I assure you I’m way over those basic Make-sure-your-PC-is-on troubleshooting tips. I do appreciate your effort to help but as I read through the rest of the post I get the feeling 33% of the posters are trolling me, 33% are oblivious to the issue and 33% are ACTUALLY not having this problem… I don’t know what to think or do anymore.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: mikeson.7605

mikeson.7605

Umm, I play from Barrow Alaska. My internet is poop compared to you. I do not have any lag. My ping is 600+. I will say this because you are crying over nothing.

This is why you do not notice anything. You play at 600+ so you are already lagging.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

It’s not lag.

It’s the amount of time that it takes between the key/button pressed and the action being preformed. As the animation takes time up before the action is preformed, the action is not instantaneous, thus feel like a delay. This is kind of annoying, but then again you can learn to deal with it.

This is a similar factor to consider in games like DOTA and LoL, as the attack animations take time to preform, and require each animation to be learned to time last hits properly.

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

It’s not lag.

It’s the amount of time that it takes between the key/button pressed and the action being preformed. As the animation takes time up before the action is preformed, the action is not instantaneous, thus feel like a delay. This is kind of annoying, but then again you can learn to deal with it.

This is a similar factor to consider in games like DOTA and LoL, as the attack animations take time to preform, and require each animation to be learned to time last hits properly.

Well, yes. The key on the action bar lights up instantly, but the ability goes off a bit later. That’s basically what I’m saying and the game would feel a lot more fluid if it were more slick.

By the way, in LoL and Dota the “delay” on attacks is determined by your attack speed because the time between the click and the 1st attack is the same as the time between 1st and 2nd attack :P. Everything else that doesn’t have a cast bar is instant – the way it should be.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

It’s not lag.

Well, yes. The key on the action bar lights up instantly, but the ability goes off a bit later. That’s basically what I’m saying and the game would feel a lot more fluid if it were more slick.

By the way, in LoL and Dota the “delay” on attacks is determined by your attack speed because the time between the click and the 1st attack is the same as the time between 1st and 2nd attack :P. Everything else that doesn’t have a cast bar is instant – the way it should be.

Lol well I meant to say that the attack speed is different for each champion at the start of each game, so that each hero has a “delay” on their attacks, until attack speed is boosted. Which is KIIINDA how quickness works with GW2 hrmrrrrmrmmrmmm

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

It’s not lag.

Lol well I meant to say that the attack speed is different for each champion at the start of each game, so that each hero has a “delay” on their attacks, until attack speed is boosted. Which is KIIINDA how quickness works with GW2 hrmrrrrmrmmrmmm

That’s all nice but it still doesn’t address the issue :P

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Gwen.7619

Gwen.7619

I do agree with OP that there is a skill response delay, I can’t and don’t believe It is Internet or computer lag while most see a lag from a second or two then a jump forward to catch up is mostly an internet lag, with skills they don’t respond well, for those that say its fine there is no lag is great that your happy but is there really a need to make out the OP is daft just because you may not notice yourself a 100 or even 400ms delay to respond issue?! in general most wouldn’t see a ms delay until a split second difference.

Sorry for my English as I’m Dyslexic

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

There is no delay. However, there are attacks with animations that don’t immediately hit anything. Using Thief’s 5 with S/P has a delay while the thief lines up a shot, fires and then the blinding cloud comes out. It’s not a lag from the button input, but the way the animation works.

Use D/D instead and you’ll be bouncing all over with excellent response time because the animation starts immediately.

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

There is no delay. However, there are attacks with animations that don’t immediately hit anything. Using Thief’s 5 with S/P has a delay while the thief lines up a shot, fires and then the blinding cloud comes out. It’s not a lag from the button input, but the way the animation works.

Use D/D instead and you’ll be bouncing all over with excellent response time because the animation starts immediately.

If you read my post carefully you will notice how I said the spell icon lights up immedately, but the ability goes off a bit later. What you’re doing right now is basically arguing semantics – whether it’s called lag or innate delay or maybe intended procrastination of spells. I pointed out the game doesn’t feel slick because of it and that it should be fixed. I don’t care if they fix it by “alleviating lag” or “polishing the delay” or “doing away with intended late activation of skills” – again semantics :P.

And yes I understand some skills are meant to have a certain delay (or cast time if you will), but that’s what cast bars are for and I won’t mind it as long as the cast bar starts to fill up immediately upon pressing the button. I just don’t think normal attacks should have that sort of cast period…

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

There are different types of lag (or latency if you want to use the term). Most of everyone bringing up ‘no lag’ are also referring to their internet connection. Op is not referring to that. He is talking about the latency of the UI, which has nothing to do with someones internet connection, but the program itself.

Op, I know exactly what you mean. The UI is not very fine tuned, and it does have issues with response. I’ve even noticed how the UI will register multiple key strokes that were never pressed when you overwhelm it at times.

Compared to the dozens of other MMORPG interfaces, the UI in this game definitely needs more fine tuning.

Fix the delay already

Mitlandir.8306

There are different types of lag (or latency if you want to use the term). Most of everyone bringing up ‘no lag’ are also referring to their internet connection. Op is not referring to that. He is talking about the latency of the UI, which has nothing to do with someones internet connection, but the program itself.

Op, I know exactly what you mean. The UI is not very fine tuned, and it does have issues with response. I’ve even noticed how the UI will register multiple key strokes that were never pressed when you overwhelm it at times.

Compared to the dozens of other MMORPG interfaces, the UI in this game definitely needs more fine tuning.

Yes, thank you for being one of the few who at least try to understand me. People on these forums seem to be more interested in arguing expressions rather than what is really said lol.

Fix the delay already

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

If there is a technical issue you would like to submit, please post in the Tech support sub-forum.

Furthermore, demanding threads are against our Code of Conduct, as they do not invite to constructive discussion.

Therefore, this thread is now locked, thank you for your understanding.