Flagging for open world pvp with outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

So I’m not sure if it was meant to happen or if it was a bug, but I think most of us know by now that the story lets us put on a Mursaat armor, which makes you targetable by players, although it also makes you immune to them .

This led me to an idea, which Blade and Soul already implements.
Flag for pvp by using outfits of different factions.
An inquest outfit would be an example of an obvious choice.
You put the inquest armor on and your name becomes for example orange to normal players to indicate that you’re flagged for pvp. For someone that’s flagged with a faction that does not allign with the inquests, for example Peacemakers or just about any other faction.
These examples may not be the best, for Blade and Soul had the problem that there were too many factions and most of them were largely unused. A small number of factions would be better.
Switch outfit to switch faction. Cannot switch faction while in battle or while in a faction quest area. Can remove outfit while defeated in order to avoid spawnkilling.

This opens up open world pvp to those who want it and those who want peace cannot be targeted since they’re not wearing said outfit.
By this you have the possibility to duel people wherever you are.
You can have guild battles with many different gamemodes wherever you want. Try to clear jumping puzzles first, with pvp. Kill the worldboss. Ordinary battle to destroy eachother. Etc.
It gives roleplayers the possibility to roleplay as enemies and have real battles as part of the roleplay.

Content-wise, ANet can have a small area of the world where quests are given to players of a certain faction in order to get rewards such as resources ore special gear for that faction. Those quests would then make players of different factions try do their quests in the same area, making them fight over getting their quests done. Switching outfits would reset the quest progress.

For implementation, ANet already has the ability to change the team of the player in PvE, as demonstrated with guild arenas, in the raids and with the Mursaat armor whether the last one was intentional or not. So using that system and putting it as a special effect on an outfit probably shouldn’t be too hard or too much work.
Ideally, the outfits would be available for inworld purchase in appropriate locations to those factions or perhaps by killing a number of NPCs of that faction to then steal an outfit from them.

All of this would be optional for the people who want it and those who don’t just don’t have to participate by not flagging themselves. It’s one of the systems that I think was really interesting with Blade and Soul, although a bit poorly implemented since it was only the main 2 factions that had any quests and reason to play as. However for those two main factions it worked nicely.

(edited by Mikuchan.7261)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Featurewise, this already exist in the game. Its what they did during the Shatterer invasion of Ashford. Players became corrupted (ie got an “outfit” complete with new skills) and fought other players.

Anet hasnt repeated that for 4.5 or so years, it would be fun to see it again.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

This opens up open world pvp
(…)
By this you have the possibility to duel people wherever you are.
You can have guild battles with many different gamemodes wherever you want. Try to clear jumping puzzles first, with pvp. Kill the worldboss. Ordinary battle to destroy eachother. Etc.
It gives roleplayers the possibility to roleplay as enemies and have real battles as part of the roleplay.

In GW2 this is called “WvW”. It even has dedicated open-world maps. You can play it right now.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

You don’t need an outfit to allow you to “opt in” for open world PvP, you just need a check-box, surely? I also want to be able to wear, say, the Mursaat outfit without people thinking I want them to Backstab me from stealth and Heartseeker me down.

Notwithstanding that, however, I don’t really want to see toxicity strewn liberally all over map chat when people lose fights. In addition, surely it will get boring quite fast since players who want open world PvP generally want it so they can gank PvEers, and if the only people to opt-in were people who were “up for a fight” then it wouldn’t be as fun.

Maybe I have too low an opinion of people…. I guess that opinion comes from having played Aion.

(edited by Sarie.1630)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I would be fine with weekend open world PvP with a theme. Like the shatterer corruption event they did during GW2 beta. Even those who don’t typically like PvP may do the temp events.

But all the time is not something that they would do. PvE is completely cooperative.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This isn’t BnS.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Hm.. it has potential. But more as a tonic with no “remove transformation” button. Keeps the character’s appearance, but changes their names to stuff like:

• Flame Legion Traitor
  • Nightmare Court Fop
  • Svanir Moron
  • Councillor Phlunt

And it flags the character for PvP. Still can’t hit non-flagged characters or fight back (no skills), just turns you red to the world and green to that one faction. But I’ll admit, I mostly want it this way so that the “Bweeheehee I’m evil ‘roleplayers’” could get steamrolled by passersby. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Open world PvP exists in WvW. You have what you want there. A large part of Gw2 PvE’s appeal is that there isn’t PvP there.

I personally live in WvW and the rare times I do PvE, those are the times I don’t want to be getting interrupted while I’m trying to make some gold for once.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

GW2’s PvE was specifically designed to separate PvP from PvE. It’s the co-operative game mode and it’s very unlikely that any form of competitive combat between players (outside of costume brawl) will be coming to the game.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Mikuchan.7261

The thing is, you people who say that you don’t want it.
You still get to not use the feature.
So I don’t really see what your point is?
You’ll keep not being affected by it.
Nobody will gank you unless you put on your pvp outfit.
There are other people than you playing the game, who want to use features like this for various reasons.

As for WvW, no, that’s completely different.
In WvW, you don’t get to know who the enemy is.
You can’t do organized duels or GvG without the enemy being on one of the 2 opposing teams and you still don’t get to know who is who on the enemy teams.
There is no way to set up a proper tournament for GvG for example.
And you can’t go in to WvW or PvP to duel your friends while waiting for the worldboss to spawn either.

The reason for using outfits (or other items) for it rather than setting an option on or off is that then you’re able to have different teams without friendly fire and it enables lore-appropriate content for the feature.

But yes, it can absolutely be done with for example potions or other items as well, there’s no specific need for an outfit to be the vessel.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t get what this adds to the game. There are already 2 ways to engage in PVP in this game … we need another?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Here’s how it affects those not involved: The combatants will be tossing off effects and rolling around through clumps of people trying to stand peacefully. Or they’ll be obscuring events.

If you counter by moving the fights to reserved areas … well, then it’s not “open world,” and guild hall arenas serve the purpose.

And that’s assuming the people that want to engage in PvP with random others in the world won’t harass those who don’t want to with spammed requests or insults of “You chicken?”

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

• Councillor Phlunt

I would so go after him! :P

Mikuchan.7261

Here’s how it affects those not involved: The combatants will be tossing off effects and rolling around through clumps of people trying to stand peacefully. Or they’ll be obscuring events.

I don’t know about you, but every time I visit Divinity’s Reach, I see people throwing meteor showers at nothing. This doesn’t change anything in that regard.
Besides, if those “clumps” of people are doing nothing other than standing around, how do you suggest that they would be disturbed by it any more than random people throwing random effects at nothing?
Fighting could even be banned in cities, possibly other than at certain areas like the fighting pits or the shrine of Balthazar. That would be no problem.
They can’t really “obscure” events either since they’ll be contributing as well as their damage will add up with your damage. And if they weren’t fighting, they would be there throwing effects around anyways, so +/- 0.

And that’s assuming the people that want to engage in PvP with random others in the world won’t harass those who don’t want to with spammed requests or insults of “You chicken?”

Why would they?
If they wanted to be a butt, they can be a butt now through various means.
It’s not the gun that kills, it’s the person holding it.
And for the rare people that do act like butts, there’s a right click – block feature and a right click – report – verbal harassment feature.

I don’t get what this adds to the game. There are already 2 ways to engage in PVP in this game … we need another?

Yes we do, for the reasons I stated in my 2 earlier posts.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Simple Mikuchan, PvE areas are suppose to be, according to ANet, someplace where you never worry about seeing another player.

Why do you want to sully this “safe” mode of the game with players fighting other players anywhere on any map? I know that if I’m at an NPC like bank, tp, or crafting station I don’t want a fight to wander into it. Costume brawl is annoying enough and it’s not an effect laden combat.

Is it about having other players witnessing the fight that wants you not to do it in the designated game modes or areas?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Is it about having other players witnessing the fight that wants you not to do it in the designated game modes or areas?

That’s quite common. Duel obsessed people want two things: to humiliate another player, and to do it in front of an audience.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

That’s quite common. Duel obsessed people want two things: to humiliate another player, and to do it in front of an audience.

yup. We have special cages for that.

Not in our beloved and peaceful PvE fantasy world. NoNo

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

ive also been thinking of open world pvp as well. perhaps it could be on a map with 3 entrances and the entrance you take determines your side. for example to take factions from gw1 if you entered from the left side of the map you could be aligned to kurzick and from the right size aligned to luxon. If you entered from the top of the map you could be aligned as ambassadors which would basically just have things be as they are now for you, no player fighting player

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

ive also been thinking of open world pvp as well. perhaps it could be on a map with 3 entrances and the entrance you take determines your side.

We have this already. It’s the Guild Hall Arena.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Nobody will gank you unless you put on your pvp outfit.
There are other people than you playing the game, who want to use features like this for various reasons.

It’s not just about who it will or will not affect. It’s about changing a key principle that the entire game was built on. The co-operative part of the game is meant to be co-operative.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

No ty. Open world in GW2 is all about people helping each other and welcoming seeing other players. It is a nice environment.

Yes I know you and everyone else who suggests this say it will be “optional”. But even if so, we would still see the effects of it in game. Players fighting other players all over the place. Trash talking and just the toxic behavior that comes from that sort of playstyle. You already see enough of this when doing PvP or just sitting in the pvp lobby for long enough.

We really do not need to see this in open world pve or attract more of these toxic kind of players to the open world environment that we all know and love.

If anything this feature that we saw in the new map/story is an in joke by anet and poking their tongue at those who have asked for this sort if thing in the past. Sadly however I fear it may only have given them more ammunition to keep asking and hoping lol.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Well, Frankly, I think those reasons are garbage … I mean, openworld PVP won’t add more than the current TWO types of PVP we have in the game … and you are going to change the flavour of PVE which most people regard as the ‘fun, safe’ zone. Just forget it.

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

Let’s spread the PU mesmer and ghost thief cancer all over Tyria! That will be fun!

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Open PvP is another great form of “challenging group content” .. so please make it happen ANet ^^

I mean .. just think about all those “slackers” at events that you wanted to kick from
the map all the time .. no you can.

Not that you also don’t distribute to the event at that time .. but who cares :p

And even if it would kill maybe the western market .. just think about how it could
help in Korea. After copying the success of Wildstar now its time to go after Aion.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Nobody would bother to build a guild hall arena if they could just slap on a costume and go at it anywhere. Fewer people would join WvW, as well.

As they have worked hard on both of those areas, and have no interest in abandoning WvW, I don’t think ANet is going to do this.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: shalywen.9548

shalywen.9548

Well, Frankly, I think those reasons are garbage … I mean, openworld PVP won’t add more than the current TWO types of PVP we have in the game … and you are going to change the flavour of PVE which most people regard as the ‘fun, safe’ zone. Just forget it.

Those reasons are NOT garbage. If implemented well, that would be simply spectacular. It would be an “enhanced” pve experience even for the ones who will never engage in open world pvp. We already have open world events based on npc factions that fight against each others. Giving the opportunity, for example, to take part in those fights by choosing one side or another in a particular map, would only add more “realism”. With the result of a more “alive”, dynamic, world.

There could be new factions, or guilds, with new history behind them, with specific rewards and so on. All this without talking of gwg (maybe with a max of 8vs8 players or something like that, so you will not have the risk of overcrowded maps).

And you know what? that could blend the distance between pve and pvp that led so many players to abandon the game in the past. Spvp? yeah, always the same maps, and it’s always an arena type of game. Wvw? yeah thanks, we know those 3 maps like our pockets after 4 years, and it often leads to giant blobs against giant blobs of people who smash buttons without even targeting or with some strategy.

We NEED a change in the pvp part. The chance of being able to do it in the pve maps would be a great bonus, even for the change of scenery alone. You don’t want to do it? fine, you will not be touched by it and it will not ruin your pve experience. You want some more excitement? you check that button or whatever else and the you go. It would only be a win win situation to give more life even to the low level maps.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Yep, it was def a thing with BWE 2 I believe. So the tech for it to be possible is in the system.
They also did the same thing with number 3 when they devided players up into 3 teams in a Hunger games type match in an “outfit” and certain skills to survive. Somewhat like southsun survival(which I’m pretty sure is what inspired that, minus teams)

Said “PvP” event: http://youtu.be/-YzTlDbYUhY

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Yep, it was def a thing with BWE 2 I believe. So the tech for it to be possible is in the system.
They also did the same thing with number 3 when they devided players up into 3 teams in a Hunger games type match in an “outfit” and certain skills to survive. Somewhat like southsun survival(which I’m pretty sure is what inspired that, minus teams)

I think most people would be fine with temporary weekend long events where certain maps have a PvP style game. There are enough non-starter maps out there for ANet to have it active every weekend if they rotated which map was used.

But I don’t think most people want all maps to have it 24/7.

Posted by: Cronos.6532

Cronos.6532

Fundamentally there isn’t any interesting or reasonable reason to add open-world PvP to Gw2 especially because you don’t drop your inventory on death

Ethereal Guardians [EG]
etherealguardians.com

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Sounds like another excuse to troll people.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

You’re confusing Duel with PK.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I think most people would be fine with temporary weekend long events where certain maps have a PvP style game. There are enough non-starter maps out there for ANet to have it active every weekend if they rotated which map was used.

But I don’t think most people want all maps to have it 24/7.

I would not care for that at all. Oh, hey I feel like farming this map this weekend or doing events there or map completion or whatever. Oh wait, it’s tagged for PvP, guess I’ll have to wait until the weekend is over or next week if I only have time to play on weekends. No thanks. Maybe if it was a copy of the map and players could choose to enter the PvE or PvP version. In that case I wouldn’t mind. Oh and make it a gem store item required to access the PVP version. That way Anet could recoup some of the development costs spent on such a feature.

Two out of three game modes are set up for PvP already and there are also guild hall arenas. Let’s let PvE players have the PvE maps PvP free thanks.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

No thank you. Open world “dueling” has turned other MMOs into cesspits. People kittening all over chat, etc.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

This again? Go to WvW, I dont want to be going about my day with someone whispering, “fight me noob” or something else while I’m doing my dailies and what not, also this would open up maps to people just being ganked and PvP maps turning into GvG war zones.

So again, a d as ANet have said on this subject, you want open world combat there’s WvW for that, want to duel? There are plenty of empty PvP arenas for that.

Open world PvP in PvE maps go’s against what PvE is about.

So No. Don’t want and hope it never happens.

As for your thought on what happens and it being a bug, if it was why would you be invincibly, it was part of the story. So not a bug

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|