Flame and Frost: The Gathering Storm

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Avatar.1923

do you thank Kelloggs for your Frosted Flakes too?

that aside,
gw2 is a great game. i love it.
perfect, no.
but humans arent!

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Hold on a minute here…

Guild missions could be a massive amount of content. Ill try and find a source that mentions that there will be 5 mission types for guilds to interact with and setup (bear with me on that one). From the same anet quote it goes on to say something about other guilds and people being able to interact with the content at the same time aswell. This could potentially be huge missions that mimic say, world dragon champions, or a massive new shared jumping puzzle or zone wide scavenger hunt (NO, dont get your hopes up for precursors yet).
If this is the case then were talking about hitting several problems with one stone from Anets perspective – Incentive to revisit areas, guild PVE activities and generally exciting stuff for pve players.

Brand new PVP map is something you would see within a major content update or paid xpac.

Achievements still being revamped – Would hope to see hero points and general achievements being addressed this patch, but prolly have to wait till march.

ALSO, january brought alot of fixes and tweaks that Anet never hyped us about OR we even expected. As that was stated to be a small patch in comparison to feb and marchs, i really dont think hope is lost and doomsday prophecies to be applicable yet.

Well I do hope at least the guild missions system is really kittening expansive, otherwise i will eating my words and coming closer to a negative mind state about this game and developer…. some might say finally.

Guild missions is probably the most unique and interesting feature on the list. Andit sounds VERY innovative. It sounds like your guild can start a mission in…Sparkfly Fen, for instance. Random low level players can join that mission as if it were a DE, without you inviting them in. Thats how I see this playing out. If it works out like that, WOW!!

Just concerned, obviously and again, about the rewards. Same concern with the WvW progression. I do not want certain aspects of this game to make you individually more powerful. They started down this slope with fractals and ascended gear and what a reaction that was. I hope that ascended gear is the end of it. I dont want any more power creeps or power boosts in any way in this game. Cosmetic only. Skins only. Marginal passive buffs(like magic find) only.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Nice looking update.

One thing is a major, MAJOR concern to me: Guild missions. While guild content is needed, I sincerely hope that these missions do not increase your individual power. If completing a guild mission unlocks the ability to increase all representing guild member Power, Crit, etc by X amount, that is probably the last line I draw with the game.

With all of the “progression” that is being pumped into the game with ascended, laurels, wvw progression, etc…I think some clarification as to how Guild Missions would benefit a guild is needed. Are there raw power increases? Speed increases? Traveling benefits? While I am in a guild that is active, I do not want to feel obligated to complete guild missions every week, just to stay on par with other guilds.

Very worried.

not that any of this will happen ((as it seems it will only be gear skins and such,)) WHO CARES and frankly if a guild is willing to work hard why shouldnt they get reworded for it

Just like ascended gear, im willing to work for it. just because your not dosnt brake the game for you, you can still do EVERYTHING

Posted by: Guitarzero.8316

Guitarzero.8316

If Tony the Tiger delivered me a free box every month than ya probably

UnderdogSMO.9428

Hold on a minute here…

Guild missions could be a massive amount of content. Ill try and find a source that mentions that there will be 5 mission types for guilds to interact with and setup (bear with me on that one). From the same anet quote it goes on to say something about other guilds and people being able to interact with the content at the same time aswell. This could potentially be huge missions that mimic say, world dragon champions, or a massive new shared jumping puzzle or zone wide scavenger hunt (NO, dont get your hopes up for precursors yet).
If this is the case then were talking about hitting several problems with one stone from Anets perspective – Incentive to revisit areas, guild PVE activities and generally exciting stuff for pve players.

Brand new PVP map is something you would see within a major content update or paid xpac.

Achievements still being revamped – Would hope to see hero points and general achievements being addressed this patch, but prolly have to wait till march.

ALSO, january brought alot of fixes and tweaks that Anet never hyped us about OR we even expected. As that was stated to be a small patch in comparison to feb and marchs, i really dont think hope is lost and doomsday prophecies to be applicable yet.

Well I do hope at least the guild missions system is really kittening expansive, otherwise i will eating my words and coming closer to a negative mind state about this game and developer…. some might say finally.

Guild missions is probably the most unique and interesting feature on the list. Andit sounds VERY innovative. It sounds like your guild can start a mission in…Sparkfly Fen, for instance. Random low level players can join that mission as if it were a DE, without you inviting them in. Thats how I see this playing out. If it works out like that, WOW!!

Just concerned, obviously and again, about the rewards. Same concern with the WvW progression. I do not want certain aspects of this game to make you individually more powerful. They started down this slope with fractals and ascended gear and what a reaction that was. I hope that ascended gear is the end of it. I dont want any more power creeps or power boosts in any way in this game. Cosmetic only. Skins only. Marginal passive buffs(like magic find) only.

this will also make an AWESOME way for active guilds that work together to get goles done to recrute more people into there ranks

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Nice looking update.

One thing is a major, MAJOR concern to me: Guild missions. While guild content is needed, I sincerely hope that these missions do not increase your individual power. If completing a guild mission unlocks the ability to increase all representing guild member Power, Crit, etc by X amount, that is probably the last line I draw with the game.

With all of the “progression” that is being pumped into the game with ascended, laurels, wvw progression, etc…I think some clarification as to how Guild Missions would benefit a guild is needed. Are there raw power increases? Speed increases? Traveling benefits? While I am in a guild that is active, I do not want to feel obligated to complete guild missions every week, just to stay on par with other guilds.

Very worried.

not that any of this will happen ((as it seems it will only be gear skins and such,)) WHO CARES and frankly if a guild is willing to work hard why shouldnt they get reworded for it

Just like ascended gear, im willing to work for it. just because your not dosnt brake the game for you, you can still do EVERYTHING

True. I can do everything. Look down the road, 1 year from now. Full ascended sets. If I chose not to partake in fractals. If I chose not to complete all the dailys and monthlys I can…I have no way to get a full ascended set. I now try to hop into WvW where everyone has full ascended at this point in time. Trust me, those +2%, +5% power increases on each item…ADD UP.

Im not calling this patch the next doomsday or anything. I just don’t think this game needs any more power creep. And power creep/treadmills were not what this game was based on in all of the interviews and advertising.

Cosmetics only.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

UnderdogSMO.9428

If Tony the Tiger delivered me a free box every month than ya probably

even if the toy sucked nod :P

UnderdogSMO.9428

Nice looking update.

Very worried.

True. I can do everything. Look down the road, 1 year from now. Full ascended sets. If I chose not to partake in fractals. If I chose not to complete all the dailys and monthlys I can…I have no way to get a full ascended set. I now try to hop into WvW where everyone has full ascended at this point in time. Trust me, those +2%, +5% power increases on each item…ADD UP.

Im not calling this patch the next doomsday or anything. I just don’t think this game needs any more power creep. And power creep/treadmills were not what this game was based on in all of the interviews and advertising.

Cosmetics only.

And no the interviews said you didnt need to grind to play all the content
as more acnedid come’s along there will be more ways to get it, they have already confirmed it will be in WVW at some point

being a 15h/week player.
i to have difficulty getting the best gear.

im still grinding for my 2nd ascended gear and i’m scared to miss a daily.

i was rushing to get my daily done in caledon forest, skipping all text, graphics etc, just to get it faster.
then i jumped on gw2lfg to get a fractal run done before going to bed.

game felt a little bit like work.
i still enjoy it, but not as much as when i knew the gear cap was not getting further away faster than i can play, or run on the threadmill.

im ok for cosmetic and mounts and random cat tonic and rez orbs and repair kit, and bank access and what not to be available to grinders.

maybe im the only one who think that this game is much more enjoyable at a slower pace, but that right now, the threadmill is going faster and faster.
im getting a bit tired…

if they made parts of the ascended gear “payable” for with gems.
then i d feel better.
right now its thru grinding only :/

you have to realize, what brings more to the game?
nice roleplaying players doing content here and there and alts,

or minded grinders that do the flavor of the month grinding?
(cof part 1. 4war 1mes…)
i dont think the flavor of the month is good for the game.

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

as it is now anet cannot find their footing for open world pve endgame.

litteraly, go in orr and “wait” for temples to open up while killing random mobs and gathering..
it just doesnt cut it.

gw2 is great GREAT fun in open world when you are going for map completion because you stumble on all those cool events!

but as a farming mode? i dont think it does it.
its going to be hard to keep the players in the zones.
its mostly for alts i guess.
but maxed out characters have Fotm or Wvw for them.
thats it.

That’s why they are making changes… Dude… They aren’t adding more of the same but new things and reasons to participate in the events.

and fotm are kind of.. generic. missing lore or actually any cool flavor.
its purely “gameplay”.

its a matter of merging the challenge and cooperation of dungeon in the open world.
or simply pull off more instanced content! (with cool lore this time please… not random “fracktals”.

Instanced content isn’t the way to go… Everyone is doing that and only WoW had any success with it.

Personally I think that’s not about whatever content is instanced or not. It’s more about that is it good with bringing people together.

the lack of “role” mean that bigger group dont really work to bring people together.

its not like “whos/ wheres the healer?” then you get to know the guy….

so basically, 5 men is better because everybody have some time to shine.

i like the lack of trinity, but it creates a void that is hard to replace.

UnderdogSMO.9428

the lack of “role” mean that bigger group dont really work to bring people together.

its not like “whos/ wheres the healer?” then you get to know the guy….

so basically, 5 men is better because everybody have some time to shine.

i like the lack of trinity, but it creates a void that is hard to replace.

i think this has more to do with the combat encounters than the lack of trinity.

you could have more mechanics similar to the ice elemental fight in the dredge fractals…

that could help.

create needed “roles” with the encounters…

could be…

but still, basically it doesnt work like that most of the time.
its ok, the social is different, its more active/reactive than planned out.
with teamspeak its perfect.

Posted by: Silentstorm.7531

Silentstorm.7531

Watch Part 1= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9-dv8Hpb8

Here is a slight review on the upcoming Feb 26 update “Gathering Storm”. As usual this is my thoughts and insights on it. Maybe you agree with me maybe you don’t. But it’s always nice to get a positive outlook on things minus the drama.

Out of the four things listed here two things stand out. Number one is the unfortunate omission of WVW I can only hope they have an excellent reason for it. I’m always about understanding and patience. Number two is guild quests being introduced. This is something I recently said should be added.

I know I had zero to do with it coming about.
It’s nice something I feel everyone would like actually came about. This is a very short review but on a quite nice topic enjoy your day all.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Only one map? PvP needs so much more. It needs new modes, improved grouping… One map? I hope that other months will add more to it

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

My point of view of what interests myself.

could care less about pvp or wvw
Hammering sign post in low level areas does not do it for me as new content. Nor does it help with the problem of there being areas that are empty.

Guild events sound great but in reality I don’t think it will be much fun or new and exciting. This is probably what they were talking about spreading people out to different areas.

Laurels are the only thing that does anything for me thus far.

New Content to me would be new monsters, classes, races, weapons, armor, areas, bosses, or jumping puzzles.

To me I believe most of the stuff added was all mechanics, features and bug fixes not content.

I know the update is not even half done but I hope there is A LOT they are keeping secret.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

man, they gave you more stats to grind for!

thats cool enough.

dailies?
“play how you want to play”?

why then those little jobs to do?
just make the daily an amount of xp gained.

scared people will just end up grinding/farming?

you think its better that i always tp to the same exact spot where i know npc are always dead to finish my daily?
nah, that sucks even more than farming

Posted by: Abbehemoth.2471

Abbehemoth.2471

First-time-MMO-players EVERYWHERE in this thread.
The MMO with quick and steady releases of content is a MYTH.
You need TIME to make the new content, even if it is already planned out.
It’s been that same since the dawn of MMOs.
A MMO player with a few games behind them knows this.
So please stop saying that there exist a game that had 24/7 updates, always new and engaging pvp/pve, never any balance problems, you never ran out of things to do, etc, etc.
It’s embarassing and shows a big lack of experience with MMOs and games in general.

Posted by: Silentstorm.7531

Silentstorm.7531

As things change ill add onto this post rather then make a new one

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

It makes me so sad to say this but currently Guild Wars 2 has the worst PVE in the history of MMO’s.

What’s the second worse MMO PvE wise?

GW2 first and Tor second since those are the only 2 I have played.

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

It makes me so sad to say this but currently Guild Wars 2 has the worst PVE in the history of MMO’s.

What’s the second worse MMO PvE wise?

GW2 first and Tor second since those are the only 2 I have played.

You’ve never had the pleasure of enduring a World of Warcraft content drought. Who loved that year and a half of ICC? Or that year and a quarter of Dragon Soul? Honestly Arenanet is up there in terms of content delivery if you take a look at the industry as a whole. Only Trion releases more, but that’s not necessarily a good thing if you’ve raided in Rift.

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

First-time-MMO-players EVERYWHERE in this thread.
The MMO with quick and steady releases of content is a MYTH.
You need TIME to make the new content, even if it is already planned out.
It’s been that same since the dawn of MMOs.
A MMO player with a few games behind them knows this.
So please stop saying that there exist a game that had 24/7 updates, always new and engaging pvp/pve, never any balance problems, you never ran out of things to do, etc, etc.
It’s embarassing and shows a big lack of experience with MMOs and games in general.

That’s why Anet needs to focus on the areas of the game that are important and work on those rather than creating new stuff like southsun cove that nobody (really) cares about.

Instead of doing all that stuff with the Karka, why didn’t they use that time to create a pvp deathmatch mode? They don’t even to create new assets, they could use the arena in Black Citadel. 4v4 or 5v5 games with the ability to queue up solo or as a team, give gold/rewards for winning 10 in a row, voila your sPvP players are happy for a few months.

For World v World they can up the rewards (really just change some numbers) to make it more rewarding for players and make badges go straight into your inventory (or a less annoying system than the current one). To be fair they are working on a better reward system now but it could have been done much earlier if they weren’t wasting their time on other things.

For PvE they need to seriously increase the value of drops around the world, even in lower areas – at this point in ascended/exotic gear my guardian runs around orr in a greatsword solo’ing champions and killing regular mobs in 4/5 seconds, it’s hardly more challenging than lower level content, it’s just annoying to be stuck in the same area grinding the same mobs/events.

They have done a lot of things since release (their skill balance team aside), I imagine implementing fractals was a ton of work. The problem is for the most part they are making baffling design decisions that players don’t really want. The Halloween event I enjoyed personally (box rng aside) but since then I’ve been really disappointed in the design direction they have gone, it lacks any creativity or sense. Hopefully they stop funneling us into instances and monotonous gear grinds and instead focus on improving the core game.

P.S. I wish I could be part of the skill balance team, it seems they are paid to make minor changes to a handful of skills every couple of months (most of which is buggy, not well thought out or even implemented). Must be nice having to work 5 hours a week.

Posted by: Omen.1879

Omen.1879

Disappointed. ANet has no idea what they are doing anymore.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Disappointed. ANet has no idea what they are doing anymore.

Then dont play the game and stop wasting yur time on the forums. lol that simple.

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

The problem with guild content is, so many players have quit the game. Most guilds are totally devoid of players, which initially lead to the appearance of super guilds – So with this patch, we’ll see even more guilds die as remaining players leave for populated guilds.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: applekwisp.2139

applekwisp.2139

people are over reacting about these “guild missions.” likely they will just be current content and just give additional rewards for being in a guild group. last month didn’t really add anything and this month seems to be pretty much the same thing

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Yep, just as I thought. ANet announces something good, and all the complaints start marching in. I’ll leave this here, I think this is what this forum is showing a textbook case of.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

people are over reacting about these “guild missions.” likely they will just be current content and just give additional rewards for being in a guild group. last month didn’t really add anything and this month seems to be pretty much the same thing

Last month fixed a ton of issues. You may want to reread the patch notes. January was the best patch yet. Considering Halloween and Wintersay were pretty epic, that says a lot.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Last month fixed a ton of issues. You may want to reread the patch notes. January was the best patch yet. Considering Halloween and Wintersay were pretty epic, that says a lot.

They didn’t nerf the mesmer this patch, in terms of balancing, I liked it the best of ’em all. Contentwise…

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

This update sounds like it has some potential. I really hope this one works out. The flexibility of the dailies could make more people happy than unhappy, and the pvp additions look like they might be fun.

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

The Flame and Frost stuff all sounds great, seeing old and new characters with a long term story is a good idea. So I really am looking forward to it.

The one feature I am looking forward to above all others is Guild Missions! I know we do not know what it is going to be like, but when I read it I just got excited from my imagination, as I am in a very active guild and we try and do things together. So this is going to be very well received from us.

What I think guild missions are, is sort of story missions or giant group event that need cooperation like completing two events at the same time. I think I would want both of these, but if I had to pick one I think the story missions with your whole guild sounds better. Perhaps they could let us start a instance, and all your guildies in the area get a invite. Then say you get 10, up to however many, you do it similar to a dungeon only you are in a bigger group then 5 and the whole thing scales very well because it based on a lot of team play. Such as reviving each other, and splitting up. I think this is what it well be like, but I guess we shall have to see. I really can not wait for it though.

Thank you Anet.

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Yay, wallpaper updated – awesome!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

applekwisp.2139

bug fixes are not content updates. bug fixes should be happening frequently, on even a weekly basis, not once a month. skills and traits are still not working properly (see: mesmer.) if a company like riot games can update their game every 2 weeks and always show somethine new, why can anet only update their game once a month, and never show anything new

Posted by: Esper.7035

Esper.7035

I hope there are more signs to repair. My guildies and I can’t get enough of fixing those signs. We love interacting with them using our F key, while wearing a quaggan backpack. We also love the title. Keep it up!

Posted by: amiyagi.1653

amiyagi.1653

bug fixes are not content updates. bug fixes should be happening frequently, on even a weekly basis, not once a month. skills and traits are still not working properly (see: mesmer.) if a company like riot games can update their game every 2 weeks and always show somethine new, why can anet only update their game once a month, and never show anything new

Once a month? Are you sure?

Game Update Notes – January 28, 2013
Game Update Notes – January 10, 2013
Game Update Notes – January 3, 2013

Three updates last month. And there is one update in February that changed the level scaledown stats adjustments.

applekwisp.2139

Once a month? Are you sure?

Game Update Notes – January 28, 2013
Game Update Notes – January 10, 2013
Game Update Notes – January 3, 2013

Three updates last month. And there is one update in February that changed the level scaledown stats adjustments.

did you even read those update notes? january 3rd, the point of the patch was to disable wintersday. this is not a content update in anyway. janurary 10, three bugs that have zero effect on gameplay (to the best of my knowledge.) january 28, added laurels, the one update of the month that did something. a few bug fixes. dungeons are still not revamped, champions are still worthless to battle, dailies are still mundane and don’t encourage players to explore the world, reliable/reasonable ascended is still limited to fractals, the gem shop still doesn’t get anything worth purchasing, etc etc. its hard to believe a completely free game like league has more support and MUCH more community interaction between devs and players than this one does. (spotlights, patch breakdowns, patches actually visible within the game client, an actual test server, discussion on forums between player and developer, direct changes to the game based on feedback)

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

Im starting to think there is no point playing this game anymore as clearly the developers have no interest in PVE.

They have added two new structured PvP maps, and a new breakout event NPC in WvW. That’s pretty much it since release for PvP.

You say they have no interest in PVE, well then they REALLY have no interest in PvP. I believe there has been much more PvE content added than Pvp content since the game went live.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

Posted by: poziix.7285

poziix.7285

This may have been mentioned and if it has I apologize for missing it.

Beyond the initial refugee thing and the new wreaths, is there anything else to this event?