Flax Farming... 4 or 5 hours daily? Um...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

Okay, so… some of us are on the down low in the game, obviously and I use mine to… farm, like many others do I’m sure.

I’m a disabled housewife, not much to do after cooking dinner and whatnot…

So I have 24 characters. All of them, and I do mean, ALL of them are graciously position to farm flax per every reset, hitting both Flax Patches in Veredant Brink and Tangled Depths and… either… I’m having a sincerely OFF day or… this is just taking far too long and I should find a new hobby, but…

In your opinion, (and do keep them pleasant, please), does it seem accurate to any of you that I start my flax farm at 7 PM EST and finish up about 12 or 1 AM? In my farm, I don’t get solely do Flax, I hit everything else I see along my route. Does this time schedule seem… accurate or… am I just slow cause it should never take so long?

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Do you enjoy it? That’s the main question. If you’re having fun by farming, then it doesn’t matter. Take as long or as little time as you like.

If you’re not enjoying it, then why are you doing it? You need the gold and advice how to get more gold faster?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I don’t do similar, myself, so I can’t comment on your efficiency, but if you enjoy it, it sounds fine. And if you don’t, I’d suggest just hitting the major flax patches on most of your characters and saving all that running about for only your favorites.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

5-6 hours? Really? I have my alts parked at the itzel flax farm and it takes about 10 minutes to farm it. Why is it taking you so long? O.o

Do you port all 24 to the TD one? I cant be bothered doing that one, but even so 5-6 hours seems really long?

You said you do stuff alomg the way, so you must get really sidetracked :-D

ps. As others have noted, yes if you are having fun, it doesnt really matter i guess. Just enjoy the fun :-D

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Jaymee.1560

Of course I enjoy it, but I am beginning to find now… that usually around 11 PM… I start getting a headache, agitated and tired, but… I push to get it done because, if I say… cut the trek in half, only do 12 character post-reset and 12 for the next day, I often worry the risk of screwing up the timer of when the Flax refreshes for my next run.

Ugh, am I making any sense? I’m just wondering if 24 character hitting both patches should take 5 or 6 hours to do or am I just a slowpoke and punishing myself through the tiredness to get it done.

Just a flesh wound.3589

To me it sounds like it’s becoming a chore you’re forcing yourself to do. Unless there’s some pressing need to farm for gold, and you’re not enjoying it because as you say, I start getting a headache, agitated and tired. If it were me I’d cut back to half the chars farming and do something else the rest of the play time.

I have one char that I try to do a farming run on the old maps each day. I don’t try to do more than that, because it’s too much. It’s tiring even though you’re just sitting there. The fact that you’re asking suggests that you’re getting tired of it and are looking for a reason to quit it.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Of course I enjoy it, but I am beginning to find now… that usually around 11 PM… I start getting a headache, agitated and tired, but… I push to get it done because, if I say… cut the trek in half, only do 12 character post-reset and 12 for the next day, I often worry the risk of screwing up the timer of when the Flax refreshes for my next run.

Ugh, am I making any sense? I’m just wondering if 24 character hitting both patches should take 5 or 6 hours to do or am I just a slowpoke and punishing myself through the tiredness to get it done.

I think it would be easier to determine, if you calculate what sell value (lowest listing prices) all the mats have that you gather in your 5-6 hours and then calculate how much gold you make per hour.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

hmmm. Perhaps you could hit up the flax farms directly, and not do other things along the way. Then go do some events after youve completed farming, and stop when it beccomes a chore / painful. Or do less events along the way also.

ps. If you are getting physical pain, headaches, etc, itd probably be good to scale it back. No point playing till it hurts.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Well, I have 7 characters, and they take about an hour. So 3 times that amount would take 3 hours, probably extra for all the additional stuff that is done.

Personally, I only do flax farming for gold because it is so low maintenance that I can watch something on my other monitor at the same time. If all you’re doing is staring at your screen for 5 hours at the exact same screen, then yes that will cause medical problems. I’d recommend an ergo break once an hour, to stretch whatever twisted limbs you can and to look at something further away than a computer screen for a few minutes.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Jaymee.1560

One of my biggest issues is, all my characters are running the Item Booster buff, most of which have the 2 hr. timer on them some, the 20 min timer, and honestly… I am certainly not hoarding those bad boys, and the farm itself doesn’t seem worth doing w/o the Item Booster.

That having been said, with the boost running, I try to make the farm quick as possible so I don’t run the timers out so much, it’s not like I own a thousand Item Boosters, so in this case, I view a rare commodity.

Maybe all of that is feeding into the under-lining issue. I am causing the stress my using so many character to hit both patches, timed because of the item booster and it’s, “Get it done, get it done, get it done…” for what seems worth it every 7 PM cause it does rake me in about anywhere from 90 to 130g a day…

(Side note: 90g to 130g due to the fact that I take the flax, make oil then make Kegs and sell the kegs. It’s the kegs that give me the profit.)

With most players so unable to even keep 5g on their person and having to beg in mapchat for people to buy them things, I thing 90-130g a day is worth the farm… until it start hitting 11 PM and I go looking for the Tylenol…

(edited by Jaymee.1560)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Ok. You’re making decent gold. Now what? What’s the purpose after you get a nice amount in your bank? How much is sufficient for you and is enough to stop and do something besides farming to the point you’re in pain and looking for the Tylenol?

Because it’s only pixels you know. There’s only so much you should be doing to get these pixels into your pixel bank. You should have a goal you should be trying to reach for a particular reason, not farming to get more and more and more just because.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

Hi Jaymee,
I agree with Flesh you need to ask why you are farming all this gold. Sounds like you got yourself into a routine your finding it hard to change from.
I had a same thing with world boss farming now i only do teq once a day.
I myself are going for the machined weapons collection and currently have 10/16. I end up all over the maps and i collect nodes along the way.
Maybe try something similar so that way your not completely cutting off node gathering.
Anyway hope you have a rethink as making yourself unwell is not a nice thing.
Best of luck and remember were here to have fun and enjoy the game <3

Posted by: Constantine.7812

Constantine.7812

Can i haz a marry you? Cuz i cant findz farm girl like you in my country.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Well I have 20 char at itzel wp for daily flax. It takes ~15 min!
So if you use TD flax farm too, it should take you all together ~45 min! (I only do the itzel farm on each char because seriously even the porting away to TD and walking to the other farm takes in my opinion way to much time for that little value)

So basically why does it take for you 4-5h??? Are you walking the whole way from itzel to TD? If yes, stop that Because that is in no way usefull (even if you grab everything on the way it is more a waste of time economically).

I guess you like gathering as an income? (So fractals, sw farming, etc. are no alternative?) If the gathering part is here the main (fun) motivation, then I would suggest the following daily rotation:
1. take one lvl80 char and put it at the wood spot in Straits of devastation (I can’t look the name up right now. I mean the first wp on the map before the last Orr map.) Login on this char and cut the 5-7 trees there, redo this every hour! Takes ~2 min every hour and gives a lot of gold.
2. put ~15 of your char at the itzel flax farm and just stay there. Takes ~10 min. each day for your 15 char.
3. Join with one of your char 10 min. early at karka queen in southsun. Walk from the bottom left wp to the bottom right wp(ori+wood). After karka queen is killed go up to the daily ori node. This gives you 10-15 orichalcum ore + ~10 antique wood + 2goldi+stuff from karka in ~15 min. each day. Just let one of your char stay on the map so you safe the porting costs.
4. Use one of your lvl80+100%map chars and port to all farms/rich nodes. I can give you all the wp later if you want them. Basically it works like: wp to the potato farm in metrica, then gendarran fields spinach farm, then brisban rich iron node, …
Important is to only visit farms and rich nodes that NEVER change their position. Doing only these will take ~1h and you gain 10-20g (depending on all the different mat values).
5. If you are bored, redo point 4 on other 100% map completion chars.
6. If you are extremely bored, you can run pretty efficient ways in some maps to get the most possible dynamic placed nodes. I can give you these runways if you want them, they are still better than your itzel -> TD run, but they are worse than just using another 100% map char on point 4. So this is only usefull for people that are to cheap to buy more character slots.

That is probably a more efficient and seriously more fun way for gathering than going itzel -> TD each day.

PS: Generally remember that you can loot every none dynamical node at least 3 times each spot by using the guesting system (needs some experience to guest one the right server to get different megaserver maps). Example: The one not dynamical ori node on southsun (in the middle where the champ karka is). Best time is shortly after karka because of all the megaserver instances. As EU english server player go up there and gather the node, relog and quest on a french full server (higher chance for different megaserver map) and gather it again. Relog a second time and guest on a full german server (again higher chance for a different map) and gather for the third time. This takes only 30seconds and you get ~10 instead of 3 ori from that node. Same works on all other none dynamical nodes. Another example are the 5-7 meantioned trees in orr, so this way you actually can do 15-21 trees each hour in just ~5min.

Edit: I forgot about the boosters. Use them on chars that don’t move much (example if you just let them stay at itzel farm). I used 2h boosters in mine. With only counting ~30seconds each day, the booster will be on for 240 days. On your gathering chars use birthday etc boosters. And whatever you do, use the guild 20% gathering boost!!!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

(edited by Bomber.3872)

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

for 24 character that amount of time seems standard.

I was doing that farm for a while myself (+ treasure chest on TD) and that took about 3hrs for 10 characters.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Those headaches you mentioned getting reminded me of when my eye used to ache after staring at my laptop screen too long.

I used to fish in RuneScape almost EVERY day in high school. I enjoyed fishing because it was my thing and it made me good money, but I wish I had stopped just so my right eye never started aching. I think it’s why I’m near sighted in my right eye now.

Don’t continue to farm the way you are if it has a negative effect on your health…

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Obvious answer is to do the easiest patch and not bother with the other one. Then find something different to do with the rest of the time.

There are plenty of good money making opportunities in game, but if they aren’t fun or they are affecting your health then find something else.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

One of my biggest issues is, all my characters are running the Item Booster buff, most of which have the 2 hr. timer on them some, the 20 min timer, and honestly… I am certainly not hoarding those bad boys, and the farm itself doesn’t seem worth doing w/o the Item Booster.

That having been said, with the boost running, I try to make the farm quick as possible so I don’t run the timers out so much, it’s not like I own a thousand Item Boosters, so in this case, I view a rare commodity.

Maybe all of that is feeding into the under-lining issue. I am causing the stress my using so many character to hit both patches, timed because of the item booster and it’s, “Get it done, get it done, get it done…” for what seems worth it every 7 PM cause it does rake me in about anywhere from 90 to 130g a day…

(Side note: 90g to 130g due to the fact that I take the flax, make oil then make Kegs and sell the kegs. It’s the kegs that give me the profit.)

With most players so unable to even keep 5g on their person and having to beg in mapchat for people to buy them things, I thing 90-130g a day is worth the farm… until it start hitting 11 PM and I go looking for the Tylenol…

Perhaps live with half the gold and stop at 10pm? Six hours? I rarely play for more than an hour at a time. I used to be able to play GW for that long, but I get tired more readily now, and can get a headache after two hours.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Why do you need so much gold? Are you saving to buy/craft some goal? I have 5 alts that I spend maybe 5 minutes on when I login to farm an iron node, a platinum node, a couple grand chests and look for my three daily blossums plus some ancient wood/ori nodes for a shot at some orbs, and that is it. I do some dailies with another alt and then maybe some PvP or HoT events or mabye some cursed shore events with my main for a bit more farming, then whatever daily crafts I have the materials for and call it a night.

What your doing sounds a lot more like work or prep to sell some gold, neither of which seems at all fun.

Jaymee.1560

Why do you need so much gold?

So… I can sit and pretend it was all real money, of course. ~bonk~

In my OP, please recall that I did say that this is considered downtime for me in the game right now, I have nothing else that I want to do right now so I pass the time with farming.

Jaymee.1560

What your doing sounds a lot more like work or prep to sell some gold, neither of which seems at all fun.

Btw, while I admit that this kind of flax farming jumps hurtles over being excessive, I think some of the mildly-informed comments that are posted here are… ridiculous.

So, before you wager your vote into the realm of me being a gold seller of any kind, I think you should read people’s posts more thoroughly, cause, who cares what I am collecting this gold for, I am doing this to give myself something to do, cause I don’t feel like doing anything else.

(P.S., yes, I’m annoyed by your amazing theory.)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Why do you need so much gold?

So… I can sit and pretend it was all real money, of course. ~bonk~

In my OP, please recall that I did say that this is considered downtime for me in the game right now, I have nothing else that I want to do right now so I pass the time with farming.

Fake money is nice. Real life pain to get that fake money isn’t.

My advice is to cut back on getting that fake gold. Park your chars at one flax spot for a daily harvest. After that, why not do some events in those maps or in the old ones. Find a map where the map bounty is good and run around doing events and getting rewarded for that.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Going by the numbers, not having that booster would reduce your current haul by 25%. That still seems pretty substantial to me.

I would suggest you supplement it with the Guild Gathering Boost. It’s free (if your guild has it unlocked), lasts 24h (for stress-free application), and should increase your chances of getting some of the more rare goodies these things provide.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

As for time requirements…. with 24 characters, if your average route is 10 minutes long (including regearing, offloading junk, crafting, posting sales, and switching to the next character), that’s 4 hours. If it’s 12 minutes, the total is about 5 hours. Seems reasonable that it would take that long.

Jaymee.1560

Fake money is nice. Real life pain to get that fake money isn’t.

My advice is to cut back on getting that fake gold. Park your chars at one flax spot for a daily harvest. After that, why not do some events in those maps or in the old ones. Find a map where the map bounty is good and run around doing events and getting rewarded for that.

Thank you, Flesh. You’ve been a sweet and a truly objective voice throughout this post, I greatly appreciate this, and I appreciate anyone else who posted just as objectively.

I don’t need to do this at all, really but if I am going to do this, perhaps I don’t need to do the whole mother lode in one sitting. I’m considering on splitting the task in half, doing half now, and the other half later or… just reducing the amount of toons I am using for the farm itself.

Because you’re all correct, what may be fun to start with ceases to be fun once irl pain starts.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Speaking as a dedicated farmer I know that once you’ve gotten a routine going it’s hard to stop. All that gold flowing in and sparkling in your bank looks mighty fine. I got up to 3500 gold, but then I decided that it wasn’t doing anything for me just sitting in the bank. It’s not like real life where real money is a comfort and a protection. Fake money is a tool. I used mine to get all sorts of expensive dyes, buy thousands of gems and buy a few weapons I wanted. I dropped down to 500 gold, and even with my current somewhat minimal farming it’s now at 740.

I recomend you set a lower gold limit and use the extra to pamper yourself. Buy gems for something nice on the gems store. Look at the weapons and get something that makes you happy. Buy some pretty dyes. As you get gold above that amount, treat yourself again. It’s what I’ve been doing. Once I get enough above my base line gold I buy things I have an eye on. It’s a tool to pamper yourself with, not real money to hoard for the bad times.

Set limits on how much farming you’ll do each day so you don’t overdo it and hurt yourself and enjoy what you get with your gold.

Edit: darn. maybe I shouldn’t be reading this thread. Urge To Farm RISING!!!!!

Lol.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I get bored relatively easily, so I’ve set things up so any of my daily routines won’t take up more than an hour total (across all toons). Some people have a higher threshold and/or more time than I do, so they can have a longer daily.

The trick is to be aware of your limits and patience and reduce the ‘farming’ accordingly. Then try to do other stuff (including playing a different game).

I’ve set up my routine so that it’s very little movement: start the toon, press [f], load the next one. So most are parked at node farms and don’t move more than a few steps. Some at JP chests.

That works for me. Your mileage will vary.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Wanze.8410

I agree with flesh wound.

If your main reason why you do this farm routine is to keep you occupied for long stretches of time and it causes you physical pain or other inconvenience, you should look for something else to do. I know that it can be quite exciting trying to find the best farm routine because in my eyes its not much different compared to dungeon runners or raiders, pvpers or event farmers. Everybody tries to be as efficient as possible in his own gamestyle.

Even though you say that you dont need the rewards from it, its a great measure of success and efficiency.
Your bottom line is that you feel that you are kinda inefficient in your farm methods, i guess thats why you opened this topic.
I think your problem is that you are trying to take advantage of the fact that you have 20+ characters to utilize. Maintaining daily cooldowns of any source on such a high amount of characters just takes alot of time and is very repetitive gameplay. After all, you do the same routine 20 times over, thats boring and can also cause alot of medical conditions. So i would suggest to scale down a bit and diversify your activities.
For half the time gw2 was online, i had plenty of time to play, while recovering from a heart condition and 2 surgeries for about 18 months. Personally, i started trading alot because I was interested in economics and everything related to trading and the economy was always changing, while new game content was sometime hard to come by. Being a successful trader also meant alot of research and reading outside the game, so I usually double tabbed and did some research or done something else i wanted to do in real life. So while i had the gw2 client running for 16 hours a day, i only played on it for 5-6 hours or so per day.

My advice to you is: Change up your routine and dont do the same with all of your characters. Place them in parties of 5, 4 parties overall. Then go find a farm routine for the first party that lasts about 10 min each. Flax farm (just the bulk ones) would be a good start. One of your parties should hit the blooming passiflora nodes (3 per day per account in SSC), other ori and ancient nodes along the way and maybe do it while the karka queen event is being set up. Freeing those villages from karka invaders gives plenty of good loot, from t6 blood to karka shells. One party can be your crafters, all maxed in different professions, which craft daily cooldowns, like t7 mats, stuff for maudrey etc. One party can be the one exchanging account bound currencies that you accumulate to gold, be it spirit shards via t1 refined common mat promotion or mystic forging karma gear into salvaged common mats.
Give each party of 5 characters a different mission instead of giving all 20 characters the same one. Researching different ways for your parties to be sufficient in an 1 hour timeframe, will keep you occupied not only for the 4 hours they run but an additional 2-4 hours to evaluate the effectiveness of each party, do research online and document your accomplishments.

Just my 2 cents.

Wanze.8410

I get bored relatively easily, so I’ve set things up so any of my daily routines won’t take up more than an hour total (across all toons). Some people have a higher threshold and/or more time than I do, so they can have a longer daily.

The trick is to be aware of your limits and patience and reduce the ‘farming’ accordingly. Then try to do other stuff (including playing a different game).

I’ve set up my routine so that it’s very little movement: start the toon, press [f], load the next one. So most are parked at node farms and don’t move more than a few steps. Some at JP chests.

That works for me. Your mileage will vary.

Looks ike you just said more or less the same, while i wrote post, so i agree.

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

It sounds about right time wise – it also sounds akittenore like, are you making enough gold to work towards buying something you really want? if so that should give you enough incentive to keep going as there is an end in sight

- I only did this level of farming when I was making Mawdrey – and to maintain sanity I parked one group of characters at a good orichalcum site and another group at a good ancient wood site and called it a day.

If I were you I would split characters between the two sites, don’t bother porting them to the second and keep one character just for playing on that doesn’t farm atall. It took me longer to get what I needed but I don’t get PTSD when I come across a rare node these days.

If you arnt working towards buying anything though with no goal I think this type of gameplay will ultimately drive you up the wall

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You can do the elder wood log farm in Malchor’s Leap. You get at least 15 logs per character in about a minute with load times if logged there. At 2s per log, this is about 30s per character. This can be done every 54 minutes.

So in your case, it would take you 24 minutes and you’d make about 7.2G. Over the course of 5 hours this comes out to 36G for very little effort. This gives you 30 minutes to do whatever you want. It may not be as high as what you’re currently making but it would definitely be less stressful.

There’s also the hidden troves that I did not account for and of course the TP fees.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Btw, while I admit that this kind of flax farming jumps hurtles over being excessive, I think some of the mildly-informed comments that are posted here are… ridiculous.

So, before you wager your vote into the realm of me being a gold seller of any kind, I think you should read people’s posts more thoroughly, cause, who cares what I am collecting this gold for, I am doing this to give myself something to do, cause I don’t feel like doing anything else.

(P.S., yes, I’m annoyed by your amazing theory.)

I never assumed you where a gold seller, I only made that comment because your routine sounds remarkably like what botters programmed their accounts to do, ultimately for selling the proceeds. If your trying to relax doing anything 20 times in a row seems just the opposite of that, not to mention the stress and headaches you are encountering.

Just ‘playing’ the game by doing the myriad of events available and selling the proceeds would be a lot more fun and potentially more profitable if accumulating gold is the ‘fun’ you are after. Mixing in various modes of the game reduces the DR (diminishing returns) logic built into the drop tables and makes it a lot less boring.

Materials of all forms are very valuable these days so salvaging all those tiresome blues and greens of various levels is advised. You would also accumulate all that luck and increase your drops.

Jaymee.1560

Edit: darn. maybe I shouldn’t be reading this thread. Urge To Farm RISING!!!!!

Lol.

I take full responsibility for your farming relapse!

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

So 20ish toons dedicated to just flax farming nets you about ~90g per day?

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

I have 45 characters. Currently 44 of them are parked at the VB flax farm. It takes me 1 minute per character (literally one minute, I timed it) to get the sickle, harvest the flax, deposit the flax and the sickle, and switch to another toon. This is on best performance (loading times otherwise can get crazy).

This gets me about 600 flax per day, which is pretty good considering I don’t do much else barring the occasional fractal daily and mapping.

Bottom line is if you’re enjoying it, keep doing it. It may not be good gold to someone else, but if it’s good gold to you – and you enjoy it – then do it. Don’t look for justification for your gameplay from other people.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Farming flax is fun, but elder wood is high profit, especially if you can log in more than once a day.

It’s hard to say if you’re taking too long or not without knowing your route, if you gather and kill mobs on the way to the flax, etc…

Personally, the value of the farming is significantly diminished if you are running to your target farming location every day because there is no value add for a farmer if you are spending alot of time running. I have a army of farmers as well … I keep all but three of them at the location; I run around with the other three.

For flax, it’s very easy to camp the VB location with your army permanently, for elder wood, the location in Malchor’s Leap. There are other reasonable farms, but require a little more exploring.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Jaymee.1560

So 20ish toons dedicated to just flax farming nets you about ~90g per day?

It all depends, really. It depends on how good my Boosters, Banners, food and utility boosters are treating me on any given day.

I have walked away with flax that I roll over to Linseed Oil, from there, roll over to Kegs, and then sell the kegs.

Remember, while hitting both patches, I hit EVERYTHING, ever random Flax, Jungle Plant, and Mussel on my route. Any additional look I get from those, (I.e., Lillies or Freshwater pearls, Elder wood, Ancient Wood, the Strong Boxes, etc) all go into the end total of what I farmed for the day. That can easily turn into anything from 90g to 130g, yes.

Jaymee.1560

Bottom line is if you’re enjoying it, keep doing it. It may not be good gold to someone else, but if it’s good gold to you – and you enjoy it – then do it. Don’t look for justification for your gameplay from other people.

Not so much that I am looking for any justification, I was just wondering if the time it took me to do all that was… reasonable or… am I slowpoke, LOL

(P.S., I have 24 character, my hat off to you, my friend, I don’t think I could babysit 45 characters… not unless I can claim them as dependents on my taxes…)

Just a flesh wound.3589

You might see if you can make more by more targeted farming. Start at one flax farm, nearest waypoint to next flax farm, waypoint to elder wood nodes in Orr, waypoint to both potato farms, waypoint to the spinach farm, etc…

ANet may give it to you.

Miss Lana Too.5794

Not so much that I am looking for any justification, I was just wondering if the time it took me to do all that was… reasonable or… am I slowpoke, LOL

(P.S., I have 24 character, my hat off to you, my friend, I don’t think I could babysit 45 characters… not unless I can claim them as dependents on my taxes…)

If you don’t already, I’d suggest turning your graphics to best performance, even just for farming. I find it reduces loading times substantially, even though my rig can handle best appearance without an issue.

When I was running my 80’s through the rich ore veins, lemongrass area and elder wood farms it took me about an hour each toon, so depending on how far you have to run to the second flax farm it seems fair

I sort mine by class weight alphabetically (ele > mes > necro, engy > rang > thief, guard > rev > war), and within each class I sort them by race alphabetically (asura > charr > human > norn > sylvari), so it keeps them all in order for the most part in the login screen

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I can’t imagine doing both areas on all those characters. If I wanted flax that bad, I’d probably just park the alt in TD and just do that area.

Obtena.7952

I’m going to suggest that it doesn’t, at least not for all 24 characters. Running around is time lost making money for a farmer. My recommendation:

1. Camp the your preferred farming spot with all but X characters
2. Optimize those X characters for running around and gathering

X depends on how often your camping spot refreshes. For example, I have 8 characters camping elder wood right now, I have 2 reserved for running around and doing other things. 8 characters, farming minimum of 15 wood each every hour @ 2 silver .. takes about 5-8 minutes. Then whatever else you get from doing stuff on the 2 others.

Miss Lana Too.5794

I’m going to suggest that it doesn’t, at least not for all 24 characters. Running around is time lost making money for a farmer. My recommendation:

1. Camp the your preferred farming spot with all but X characters
2. Optimize those X characters for running around and gathering

X depends on how often your camping spot refreshes. For example, I have 8 characters camping elder wood right now, I have 2 reserved for running around and doing other things. 8 characters, farming minimum of 15 wood each every hour @ 2 silver .. takes about 5-8 minutes. Then whatever else you get from doing stuff on the 2 others.

So the elder wood farms refresh every hour? That’s good to know! I assumed they were every 24h like the rich veins and other farms.

Obtena.7952

Yes they do, and if you’re lucky there tends to be an Ori or Orrian Tree nearby as well.

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

I have 9 toons, yes this takes up all my play time if I need linseed oil for anything. I’m a very casual player these days, 1-2 hours a day, capping out around 5-8 hours a week.

This is really stupid, I’d rather pay gold on the trading post, if it wasn’t so gosh darn expensive. A lot of that has to do with flax seeds you need for linseed oil and how much linseed oil you need for everything else.

Farming sand and shovels in SW is more fun than this kitten, and SW is so… played-out? Is that the word I want to use? “played-out”… And you don’t even have the option to buy shovels.

kitten flax. I hate it. Their last ditch attempt at getting players to spend gold in HoT, when a majority of it is played with specialty currency because they put the game’s in-game economy at the end of their list.

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

If farming flax is really what you enoy…..go ahead I suppose.

Play some pvp, wvw, start a ton using only action camera, speed run the game using only first person, anything.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I had all my level 80s parked beside one of those flax farms (didn’t know there were two, thankfully, otherwise I also would have gone for both). I realised that this farming and the dailies were the only things I did in game most days because the meta’s take too long and getting most of the rewards from HoT require such grinding.

I then remembered that I already have a job and decided to quit until the April patch arrives if that doesn’t bring real improvements to the game I think I’ll just stop completely.

Anyway, forgive my aside, long story short, I’d recommend you take a break for a day or two from farming, see if you still enjoy the game at a reduced pace. You don’t need the gold and you sure don’t need the health issues.

Posted by: Eulolia.2467

Eulolia.2467

If you like gathering you should set yourself the challenge of finding more efficient routes and farms. Flax isn’t so great. As mentioned already the Elder Wood farm is pretty good. Running the 40-70 maps for hard wood and seasoned wood (and ores+certain herbs) on a fast character (daredevil is best, warrior is good) is probably the most consistent gold. The nodes are everywhere, and if you do ascalon maps you have a chance of getting that lumber core worth 90g or something. Starting from the bottom of cursed shore with the seaweed and coral orbs works too.

Subscribe for exciting guild wars 2 videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/eulololia/

(edited by Eulolia.2467)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Time spent moving is time spent NOT EARNING.

Park your characters, hit the immediate nodes, do something else.

If your options are:
1. 10 Flax in 40 seconds (.25 Flax Per Second) or
2. 10 Flax in 40 seconds at first farm + 10 minutes of walking + 10 Flax in 40 seconds at second farm (.0147 Flax Per Second)

The decision is pretty obvious, right?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

First make sure the screen brightness mirrors that of your environment. Too many people play in the dark and that’s really strenuous on your eyes.

If you’re experiencing pain and stress from playing the game, however, you should simply stop playing the game when you experience these phenomena. Simply, there’s no way to get as much profit and not play as much. But RL matters more, and if you’re not enjoying yourself, you shouldn’t be bothering.

Games are for fun, and the only real reason to play them should be for fun.