For future farm updates....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Can we get less direct gold and more trade-able loot? The champion loot bags were a great idea as were the dungeon reworks, but they also served to bring more gold into the economy, resulting in inflation. Deadeye farm is a particularly bad case of this – as his (high) rewards are almost exclusively direct gold payouts. The addition of more trade-able item rewards would actually take gold out of the economy through TP taxes, countering inflation.

A higher focus on materials, rares, exotics, and trade-able miniatures with less new gold production would probably be better for the ingame economy in the long run.

A good example is the Crown Pavillion, as (with the exception of time-rotated champion loot bags and the occasional, normal money drop) nearly all rewards are materials, bags, junk, or weapons.

(edited by Duke Blackrose.4981)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Oh I’m sure they will add more money sinks in future. At the moment what all this extra gold does for us is allow us to buy some of those more expensive skins that used to take a lot longer such as cutlture armours, order armours etc as well as you said things from the TP.

But you could see WITH all this extra loot they also brought in cash sinks via way of these new recipes being so expensive as well as the weps those guys in the pavilion sell. To me this shows they are planning ahead and I can bet soon we will be seeing a LOT more expensive items for sale…

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Oh I’m sure they will add more money sinks in future. At the moment what all this extra gold does for us is allow us to buy some of those more expensive skins that used to take a lot longer such as cutlture armours, order armours etc as well as you said things from the TP.

But you could see WITH all this extra loot they also brought in cash sinks via way of these new recipes being so expensive as well as the weps those guys in the pavilion sell. To me this shows they are planning ahead and I can bet soon we will be seeing a LOT more expensive items for sale…

You’re not thinking large picture. What happens to the people who don’t farm hardcore? The gold is there to be made, but only by those with the time or inclination to make it. Meanwhile, the rest of the community’s gold becomes relatively worthless.

I’m in agreement with TC. Rewarding us with skins or mats should have been the approach. This lets money be moved from player to player without introducing new money into the economy faster than it can be destroyed. Inflation in an MMO with mix of hardcore and casual players is something the developers should take every caution to avoid.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Oh I’m sure they will add more money sinks in future.

Gold sinks like that are a very bad way to deal with the issues the OP mentioned. It’s better to increase the supply of other things and reduce the influx of gold, than to increase the influx of gold but also increase the demand of gold.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Paulytnz.7619

You’re not thinking large picture. What happens to the people who don’t farm hardcore? The gold is there to be made, but only by those with the time or inclination to make it. Meanwhile, the rest of the community’s gold becomes relatively worthless.

I’m in agreement with TC. Rewarding us with skins or mats should have been the approach. This lets money be moved from player to player without introducing new money into the economy faster than it can be destroyed. Inflation in an MMO with mix of hardcore and casual players is something the developers should take every caution to avoid.

The only way one players gold can become “worthless” as you put it is if they are actually trading with other players. Most things in this game can be gotten without trading with other players. Like I said it’s good we can make gold slightly easier now (especially the non hardcore player) as it makes it easier to purchase things that will ALWAYS stay at the same prices (such as from NPCS).

As to extra cash or too much cash being in the game, it’s like I said Anet will add more gold sinks as they see appropriate and it WILL help to remove the gold FROM the game.

Doing this while also making sure that anything new that is added to the game that the majority of players will want/need such as skins, weapons, armour, crafting mats being able to be gained by ourselves without HAVING to rely on other players can and will help to keep the value of gold at an even level.

Paulytnz.7619

Oh I’m sure they will add more money sinks in future.

Gold sinks like that are a very bad way to deal with the issues the OP mentioned. It’s better to increase the supply of other things and reduce the influx of gold, than to increase the influx of gold but also increase the demand of gold.

Like I said, added goldsinks like I spoke of WITH increasing supply/ways of gaining things that we need/want WITHOUT having to rely on the HARDCORE gamer/farmer helps to keep the value of gold in check.

I think it’s far, far, far too early to be worried about inflation right now because of the new champion loot. Think about it, along with the extra pure gold we are getting from these champs we are ALSO getting more mats which were always some of the most in demand things on the TP, so they have thought it through somewhat and are adding more ways to bring in the things we want/need without having to PAY those hardcore farmers.

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

The mystic forge is the biggest gold sink in the history of mmo’s.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

direct payout is exactly what i want though.

the champion bags are terrible, why would i want more RNG in a game, ever?
Deadeye can reliably give me gold for the time i put in to kill him.

i’ll agree that he gives way to much gold for the speed at which you can kill him when you know what your doing, but the fact that there is now a farm ingame that doesnt involve any luck of any kind is perfectly fine for me, even if it is temporary.

no magic find required.