For people who have leveld Necro AND Mesmer!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Which one do you find more fun and entertaining?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I prefer the mesmer. I find it has more viable builds at end game, and the AI on necro minions is pretty bad. In fact, I’d probably like them both if I found minions to be more useful.

On top of that, it’s generally easier at end game for a mesmer to get into a party.

I have level 80s of both professions. I finally found a build I like and enjoy playing on my necro…but I have several on my mesmer.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

2 necros and 2 mesmers at 80:

Necro solo (although I often “tank” for some of my guild groups ) and somehow end up “tanking” champions for outdoor events.

Mesmer guild group (4 manning – fractals / explorables). Invaluable there.

I also have 80 warriors and guardian. My necro is my all around “go to” character for farming and exploring (because of versatility /dps/ defense mix.)

Not sure which I am going to end using for WvW. Still experimenting there.

All depends on your playstyle and build really.

PS: My necros used a minion spec for about 5 levels… once.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Mesmers have a better minion bombing mechanic That cinches it for me.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

I enjoyed leveling with my necro more, but mesmer will always be my main. ^^
They were and are both fun and entertaining, the necro nearly from the beginning, the mesmer after ~ lvl 20. On lvl 80 they are both enjoyable and lovely!

Posted by: Theoldman.6483

Theoldman.6483

neither, but the Mesmer’s teleport is useful for other purposes. Both end up with to many minions/clones. Yes I tried non minion builds.
However its my thing in these games to try and max level every class/profession/race/alignment etc. with two GW2 exceptions, I have no desire to level the engineer or char (oh no! blasphemy).

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

neither, but the Mesmer’s teleport is useful for other purposes. Both end up with to many minions/clones. Yes I tried non minion builds.
However its my thing in these games to try and max level every class/profession/race/alignment etc. with two GW2 exceptions, I have no desire to level the engineer or char (oh no! blasphemy).

Combine them into one and make a charr engineer, then you only have to do it once. lol

@ the OP…I think my dislike of necro comes from me wanting to use minions, which I did in Guild Wars 1. It really doesn’t feel the same at all…and that may not be fair to the game, since it is a different game.

On paper, minions look better in Guild Wars 2, since you don’t need a corpse to exploit to get one and they don’t have built in health degen, but I don’t know…I just can’t seem to find a minion build I like.

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

I prefer my necro, it’s my main. Build around wells, can’t stand the minions. Necro was more fun to level.

But…the mesmer’s abilities are much more compelling in endgame. A highly competitive or achievement oriented player should probably choose the mesmer for this reason. Me? Not sure I mastered mesmer sufficient to compete in that space, and might never.

…besides, slicing up a mob in melee with daggers, even though I am a caster in cloth, and living to tell about it is just fun…

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I liked the Necro much more, I even deleted my mesmer… they really aren’t any fun except in PvP, in which they are the ‘I enjoy seeing people frustrated’ kind of fun.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

My first necro and my mesmer are at 80. I’m working on a second necro to be able to farm nodes because of speed signet and durability. Fun is of course subjective, but I find both to be fun for different reasons. With the mesmer, I find I use all the skills on my bar often, whereas the necro I can get away with dagger auto-attack or Ax 1 and 2 with everything else just on an as-needed basis. So, when I’m looking for more engaging play I play the mesmer, when I’m dropping into Orr to farm or do temples, I use the necro.

Posted by: Starbird.4029

Starbird.4029

Welp, the general feeling on the forums seems to be that if you want to be invited to dungeon groups, don’t play a necro.

(edited by Starbird.4029)

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Welp, the general feeling on the forums seems to be that if you want to be invited to dungeon groups, don’t play a mesmer.

You mean don’t play a necro…? :P

@OP: Mesmer is definitely more entertaining imo. It’s got useful utilities, better damage, timewarp, and is always welcome in dungeons. I hardly play with my necro anymore – it’s just too boring.

Posted by: Sabyne.6329

Sabyne.6329

Mesmer is my first class and was my main for a long time, got full exploration on it and all. But I was disappointed by all the nerf the class received because of pvp/wvwvw and it really spoiled the fun for me as I’m a pve person only. The class is still effective though. I leveled a necro, it’s one of my alt and I really enjoy playing it a lot. Out of my alts, it’s the only one I bother leveling in fractals after my guardian (guardian is 49 and necro is 28 ftm). It’s really a fun class to play. I play an hybrid spec and have been testing out a “tank” spec recently and having a blast with both (thank you Nemesis ).

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I really, REALLY like being a Minion Master, so my Sylvari Necromancer (who’s cute and beautiful to watch as well) wins out easily. But I also enjoy playing my Mesmer and throwing purple sparkly effects everywhere, creating clones and generally wreaking havoc.

Posted by: Starbird.4029

Starbird.4029

Welp, the general feeling on the forums seems to be that if you want to be invited to dungeon groups, don’t play a mesmer.

You mean don’t play a necro…? :P

@OP: Mesmer is definitely more entertaining imo. It’s got useful utilities, better damage, timewarp, and is always welcome in dungeons. I hardly play with my necro anymore – it’s just too boring.

Yeah, whoops.

(edited by Starbird.4029)

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Why those skinned critters can’t learn to run towards a target before going pop, when transparent magical constructs can, is a puzzle…

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Why those skinned critters can’t learn to run towards a target before going pop, when transparent magical constructs can, is a puzzle…

There’s that. There’s also that their cooldown starts immediately after their creation. Why this is not true for turrets, undead, spirit weapons, and elementals, elicits a classic James Rofle What were they thinking? from me.

User was infracted for being awesome.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I really enjoy my Necromancer, much more than my Mesmer. Though I really like the look of my Mesmer. I like being a Minion Master; I have more luck with minions than clones and phantasms.

In other words, I’m a lousy Mesmer. =P

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

When I want fun, I take my necro. When I want to get things done, I take my mesmer. That is, when I’m not taking my other characters, of course.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Davvin.9543

Davvin.9543

I like both a lot, however, I would have to say I lean more to the necro. Although I hate the minion AI and lack of minion options, the necro is in my opinion much easier to solo with. Especially when fighting groups or when extra mobs come along, I really enjoy my staff AOE build on my necro.

Posted by: OliverT.9021

OliverT.9021

When I want fun, I take my necro. When I want to get things done, I take my mesmer. That is, when I’m not taking my other characters, of course.

It works the same way for me, and I completely agree.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Yeah, if you want easy AOE, I would take necro. ^^

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

necro all the way. The survivability and AOE is insane

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Mesmer > Necro

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Mesmers have way more utility and use than necros.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Necro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mesmer -_- wish i could have those 80 levels back.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Thundercleese.4210

Thundercleese.4210

Some say… The Necro has the most access to AOE in the game.

Easy open world, easy tags in WvW. Power necro for the win.

Staff/ ranged Wells/ Lich form (Nasty autoattack piercing)/ Deathshroud autoattack

And my favorite, slicing and dicing with my dagger while standing in my wells (PvE)

Or maybe my favorite is fearing suckas off tall surfaces in WvW. Hmmm.

[EG] – SoR

Garrett Ward – 80 Thief / Roland Ward – 80 Warrior / Tacitus Ward – 80 Necro

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There’s that. There’s also that their cooldown starts immediately after their creation. Why this is not true for turrets, undead, spirit weapons, and elementals, elicits a classic James Rofle What were they thinking? from me.

Mesmer clones, with the exception of the ones from the proc-on-dodge trait, can only be generated while targeting, and vanish when that target dies. The other skills you refer to do not require a target to produce and do not disappear when you defeat something. This can be an advantage in some situations.

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

I prefer Necro, but Mesmer comes in VERY close 2nd.
This is because I play WvW and PvP, there’s just no other feeling of glory than using corrupt boon on your opponent and watching them fumble and panic.
Or kiting them into your wells and marks, putting them into situations where they have to decide whether they want to take damage or take even more damage.
Also, fearing people off cliffs.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Mesmer is by far a better class, Necro still have so many issues that need resolving..

Posted by: Barbelo.5916

Barbelo.5916

I’m usually on my guardian and mesmer because they’re the more in demand classes in the game. But necro was my first and every time I get to play it I remember why I fell in love with it and I realize that it is still my favorite class of the 3. Everytime I play my mesmer I hate why it’s so darn useful in the game. I haven’t grown to love it the way I grew to love the guardian, though necro is still my number 1. There’s a group of people that are hardcore necro lovers and I’m one of them.

IOJ [TRBO]

Posted by: wookie.8934

wookie.8934

Necro and mesmer work very well in team fights. Necro I play as a backline condition bomber. As for my mesmer, it is better in 1v1.

Havok Legion [HL]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Rakanarshi.5892

Rakanarshi.5892

I just have to say that I spent like 5 hours strait leveling my human Mesmer to level 16 and that was just fun. I tend to stick to the sword and torch as my main set and the staff for back up. Staff skill 5 combined with torch skill number 4 and sword skill 2 makes for some very nasty AoE which has made leveling just fun.

After seeing this thread and seeing how people enjoyed the Necro I figured I would give it another shot. I made a cool looking Sylvari necro that looked peacefully evil (weird I know but i managed it) and…by the six I remember why I don’t have one. They just don’t deal damage, it takes so long to kill anything compared to other classes. If you have a free character slot go make a necro and see how little damage it does. It is laughable, I know the Necro would probably be awesome later levels and that but I just can’t put up with taking forever to kill things to finaly be on par with other classes.

In short, you can have fun with the Mesmer right from the get go, but the Necro is a out right pain and needs some attention from Anet. The early leveling experience is just not fun at all. Please give the Necro some tender loving care.

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

Haven’t played a Necro, but i definitely enjoyed my Mesmer using Staff, Sword/Focus

I’m following Mr Prometheus’s guide and its so easy to lvl.
I keep outlvling the zones i’m in, and with some time and if its not that laggy,
i can solo kill champion mobs 10 levels above me with ease. I don’t get why pple find mesmers so hard to level lol!

Really love the Staff Mesmer for its many escape mechanisms.
1) Standard dodge
2) Phase Retreat
3) Blink

If you want to play a Mesmer you MUST watch Mr Prometheus’s guide first.
He explains everything so well and easy to understand.

<3 Mesmer <3

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Posted by: JPSnow.8296

JPSnow.8296

I don’t know much about mesmers but I love my necro. I play mostly wvw and a power build with wells and marks is amazing at defending/ attacking towers/keeps. It also has great survivablity with death shroud. If farming is your thing tagging tons of mobs is real easy as well. Tons of loot and fun to play can’t go wrong imo

JPSnow (main) – Necro, Sir Mezalot – Mesmer
Lieutenant Stabs – Thief
Night Vision (NV) – Blackgate

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

my main was a mesmer and i got to say even early on the mesmer is powerful if you know how to clone spam and shatteror.

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

Posted by: mazut.4296

mazut.4296

Necro is way more fun, but obviously mesmer is more powerful.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have 80 mesmer created number 6 of my characters, I have a lvl 50 necro created 3rd of my characters. I am biased for mesmer and not really enjoying necro.

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

Necromancer is better than mesmer in my opinion.

Easy to play, you do decent damage (even though 600, 600 1200 isn’t much), you have a lot of condition damage, you have lots of health.

Necro is basically the best hybrid class and you can skill him on whatever you like. Condition damage, normal damage, complete hybrid, soldier/berserker hybrid, death shroud, minions. There’s plenty to choose from and every trait can be really powerful.

Mesmer is difficult to play in my opinion. After few minutes of play with mesmer I already didn’t want to anymore.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

my play style:

necro
- WvW
- Cursed Shore

mesmer
- sPvP

i’m enjoying both.

this is out of topic, but for sharing:

warrior:
- guild missions
- dungeons
- fractals of the mist

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

I find mesmer definitely funnier than necro in every aspect of the game.

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

Posted by: Enzo Kensei.9850

Enzo Kensei.9850

Mesmer was a little bit of a pain to lvl then my necro and i think i offer more to the party with my necro then my Mesmer, but it reallys comes down to your playstyle.
I usually run a hyrid/power necro with wells and i can say that its pretty fun to play =)

Kensei
[LUSA]