Behellagh.1468

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

For those still wondering about P4F ...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

what does P4F stand for?

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

play for free i would like to guess

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Ummm, isn’t that suppose to be F2P? Also if it means play for free the sentence doesn;t make sense.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

Ummm, isn’t that suppose to be F2P? Also if it means play for free the sentence doesn;t make sense.

Play for Free would be a better term, since its more like an extended free trial instead of being truly free, like something like Runescape

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

So…I don’t know much about esports.

How many millions of people are paying for tickets to watch GW2’s esport?

This is a big thing? ESPN and stations like that televise GW2’s esport?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Isn’t watching esport nearly as exciting as playing world of world of warcraft ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Play for free typically means pay to be a pro. Yes it’s free to have the game, but you’d need real life money to increase the chances of your items getting upgraded while decreasing the chances of them downgrading or even breaking. Then some of the items themselves can cost real life money.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

ArenaNet always uses Play for Free rather than Free to Play. F2P is a term that have a very negative connotation to MMOs and gaming in general that they wanted to avoid.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

ArenaNet always uses Play for Free rather than Free to Play. F2P is a term that have a very negative connotation to MMOs and gaming in general that they wanted to avoid.

Is there anyone who can see the distinction that ANET is trying to claim exists between P4F and F2P ?

It would have been better to just call the core game going free an extended trial period.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Is there anyone who can see the distinction that ANET is trying to claim exists between P4F and F2P ?

It would have been better to just call the core game going free an extended trial period.

Yes, the game was play for free before (buy game, play for free without a sub).
Now it is free to play (no purchase required).

Please explain how it is an extended trial. Anyone can download and play from start to credits, and past that with world exploration, dungeons, fractals, and PvP and wvw.

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Please explain how it is an extended trial.

Because the limitations on the trial accounts show that there is a very clear difference between the players who bought core GW2 and the players who didn’t.

Plus I don’t like calling a game free to play when there is a large chunk of its content locked behind paywalls. 8 small paywalls for living story season 2 content and a larger paywall for HoT content.

Behellagh.1468

The distinction is the MMO gaming population associates F2P with content/class restrictions that can be buypassed (misspelling intended) via the cash shop or VIP subscription.

Since GW2 is B2P and not subscription based, their “free” version has to reflect their Buy to Play ideals. So instead of throwing up paywalls and content limitations, there isn’t any besides restrictions that protect the original B2P player base from abusers. Buying the expansion unifies the two groups of players.

So in an attempt to differentiate the difference, ANet coined Play for Free. The problem comes from players who insist that both business models are the same and continue to use F2P when describing this. And because of the restrictions they can’t simply say the game is now free and since there’s no caps and all content is available forever, they really can’t say trial either. So we have Play for Free.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Because the limitations on the trial accounts show that there is a very clear difference between the players who bought core GW2 and the players who didn’t.

Plus I don’t like calling a game free to play when there is a large chunk of its content locked behind paywalls. 8 small paywalls for living story season 2 content and a larger paywall for HoT content.

Of course there are limitations to F2P, most of those are to pressure players to pay (it’s called business) and to protect the game. Gold selling spam, typical F2P toxicity, various areas of the economy, and to prevent a flood of noobs into WvW. But like I said F2P can still get a complete experience (except for all classes but core game only came with 5 slots anyway).

Living Story was free as it was released (a lot of core+HoT owners don’t have it) and its not much money for a good story anyway, and doesn’t halt any progress. If you have it you get a story, if you don’t have it you still get dry top and silverwastes and those rewards.

Of course HoT is a pay wall, it’s an expansion. And I wouldn’t call it a “large chunk” with a short story, 4 maps, an additional trait line for each class and the mastery system. I love HoT but your not missing that much with such a big core game already there.

(edited by Mez Koo.9510)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

“Play for Free” is simply an attempt to avoid the words “Free to Play” which has the connotations “game is dying and needs an injection of players to hold it aloft.”

Just like “megaserver” compared to “server merge.”

Behellagh.1468

Because it’s Buy to Play. Buy once play forever.

I do agree to some degree about LW season 2. It was free for those who continued to play the game but purchasable for those who weren’t “loyal” players. At least they added a discount plan but I would have preferred that it was included with HoT.

And expansions aren’t paywalls exclusive for F2P since they need to be bought by everyone to get access to the content. And unlike GW2/HoT, buying an expansion in those other F2P games don’t grant access to content that was locked for F2P players in the original game.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

What core mechanics did they change? I’ve been here for 3 years and I haven’t seen a change in “core mechanics”. Or do you mean the gold farm that dungeons were. Stacking in zerk gear for big money isn’t a mechanic.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: NecroN.8306

NecroN.8306

What core mechanics did they change? I’ve been here for 3 years and I haven’t seen a change in “core mechanics”. Or do you mean the gold farm that dungeons were. Stacking in zerk gear for big money isn’t a mechanic.

Clearly you have set limitations if all you got out of this was dungeon farming. That being the case Anet has a NEW eSport game that you would definitely be interested in. Perhaps you’ve heard of it GW2 HoE the Heart of eSports.

(edited by NecroN.8306)

Behellagh.1468

Still no answer to my question. What core mechanics did they change? Oh I see, somebody deleted their post.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

I wonder how many players in the tournament would qualify for free to play? (Running classes / builds not a part of HoT).

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

So they think that just by throwing money at this dead horse, they’ll finally be esports….well it explains all the bundles and advertising the gem to gold exchange, guess this is where they’re getting the money for their tournaments!

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I wonder how many players in the tournament would qualify for free to play? (Running classes / builds not a part of HoT).

In this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/EU-Pro-League-Meta is a list of professions used in the EU Pro League. There’s only one player not using an HoT specialization. So P2W is a real thing now.

Sicarius.4639

In this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/EU-Pro-League-Meta is a list of professions used in the EU Pro League. There’s only one player not using an HoT specialization. So P2W is a real thing now.

Appreciate the link, thank you.

Posted by: NecroN.8306

NecroN.8306

Still no answer to my question. What core mechanics did they change? Oh I see, somebody deleted their post.

WRONG! I was censored by a moderator for my umm I don’t know why, but whatever. Thanks Mr. Mod. Enjoy your P2W game.. Goodbye.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

To clarify, when you say core what exactly do you mean?

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Behellagh.1468

I was asking NecroN because he was the one who said Anet altered core mechanics from the original game. Sadly I didn’t quote his post before it was deleted by “someone”.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

So Steve Fowler is behind all this? Good to know, who to focus my full disagreement with… So much waste of money. So much waste of a good game. So much waste of a good pvp mode with limited toxicity (ESL tournements create massive toxicity). Since HoT and last tournement, geez, the toxicity is so bad, I can’t believe it.

I really wonder, free to play (so more players, LESS INCOME), where does 200 000$ come from? On top of the income of Steve fowler and co, this seems likea huge money drain. 5000 HoT copy sales wasted forever on single tournement, and more are to come.

Say 10 tournements will come. That’s a waste of 50 000 HoT copies. But all this hype, camera’s, twitch, plain tickets, etc organization makes it much more expensive. I estimate 75000 HoT copies waste. Geez. And ‘this is only the start’.

Glad i still haven’t spend a gem on this game, seeing where the money is spend on. Not that it is highly likely, but if Anet even wanna see a chance for me to buy gems (or ultimate edition from expansion), The direction Steve fowler has turned gw2 into, will have to be reverted.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Sicarius.4639

I’m curious about the “Warman says Guild Wars 2 has remained a Top 20 game streamed on Twitch” statistic, the average I see daily (when I scroll down the page a bit) is around 400-1000.

Edit: I think I remember that on a subreddit, they said even Riot isn’t making money from their Esports scene and look at the scale and coverage of that game. (But this is extremely vague, maybe someone who also saw it could verify / elaborate).

(edited by Sicarius.4639)