For those unhappy with Treaharne

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Now i don’t know why but some people seen to not like traeharne. I personally don’t mind him, though obviously the alliance should have more charismatic leader such as me:>

However many people are not only troubled by his presence but also by means of allevating that problem (his presence that is).

As incinirgen midterm student i suggest going to youtube and entering following phrase “Austin Powers Mustafa” for all those who need a nice fresh idea on what to do with him, if you’re just to boggled to come up with your own ideas.

You’re welcome:)

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

I think its he constant * This won’t end well* that is a major turn off. Its like slepp rock…wowzie wowzie woo woo, woe is me attitude. Nobody wants a leader that always spouts this is it, we are all gonna die.

Posted by: tasaunders.3746

tasaunders.3746

I don’t need to look anything up to know what should be done with him. Feed him to Jormag at the beginning of whatever personal story episodes come next. Problem solved.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

He wasn’t terrible compared to the others, but it would have been nice if they had really knocked that one out of the park. You need something special for your main plotline character.

Posted by: innocens.1582

innocens.1582

personaly i would like to burry him at least 10 meters deep, but he’ll probably grow a new traeharne

a man who doesnt make mistakes doesnt do anything

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

For me, it’s the voice acting and dialog. That can go for a few of the main character like Zojja as well. To me, they feel really forced and come off as sub-par personally (no offense to the voice actors). When I hear character talk in game, I want to feel weight in their voice, if that makes sense. I want take what they say seriously, and the way ArenaNet handled a lot of the dialog makes that hard.

In future installments, I hope they make it more down-to-earth and more realistic. I can do without most of the comedic relief as well. I want to connect with these characters. When their voices come off as being calm and disconnected when an dozens of people just died before our very eyes, it really takes away from the story and immersion of the game.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Tybalt should have been the Hero. Treefern is just so boring.

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

a) He is a poorly written character whose only purpose is to pull deus ex machinas out of his butt in order to move the plot along.

b) For any non-Sylvari player character his introduction into the plot is awkward and embarrassingly bad. We’ve not met him at all, but suddenly we’re the best of chums! Yeah, right.

c) His voice-acting is horrible. It lacks any sort of emotion. Did they intend for him to be an Asura golem at first?

d) He steals your Personal Story and it becomes his Personal Story of how he got the Pact together and lead the charge into, and eventually cleansing, Orr. Your character is reduced to nothing but a loyal side-character. A toadie. My Norn Warrior would’ve rightfully killed him for ruining and stealing his Legend.

And perhaps the worst sin of them all

e) He replaces one of the three better and well-liked characters in the game: the Pact Mentors. Tybalt is an amazing character, and so is Warmaster Forgal. I can’t speak of the Priory one but I assume she is a great character as well. Going from Warmaster Forgal to Trahearne left a very, veeeery sour taste in my mouth.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

(edited by Oglaf.1074)

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

exactly!

Treefern truly was blank and you just could care less about him.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I’m fine with just being his commander. And while I agree that his voice acting puts me to sleep, I think it fits with the Sylvari.

That said, I would like him a whole lot more if I felt he was taking his role seriously – which means putting on some cool looking armor for a change and looking inspiring instead of showing up at every battle looking like he just ran up in his pajamas.

Posted by: Art.9367

Art.9367

d) He steals your Personal Story and it becomes his Personal Story of how he got the Pact together and lead the charge into, and eventually cleansing, Orr. Your character is reduced to nothing but a loyal side-character. A toadie.

I never really thought about that! Wow, you know what, you’re completely right. Now I feel wronged in a way. In the future, there should be a much greater emphasis on your own character’s story and journey.

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

That talking salad is Kormir 2.0… What happened to you know… Prophcies where you actualy get to be the big hero instead of a sidecharacter

edit: also, what happened to no two characters will have the same story…. streching it a bit there huh?

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

(edited by Aven.7295)

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

There are times I wondered if GW2 was being used as a platform for other media endeavors from comics and books to cartoons? This is because of the way story is handled in the game. The writer made a bunch of NPCs the focus of too much content and reduced our characters’ actions to a side story in much the same way as DCUO does to sell us on Superman. I had a real issue in the way it plays out with both Trahearne and Destiny’s Edge in particular.

They would have been better off selling me on the game world as a backdrop for my and other heroes actions in the now rather than creating these NPCs like Destiny’s Edge for dungeon “stories.” They could have done so much more selling me on important parts of the game lore and making me want to explore Tyria with dungeons and landmarks. I used to love finding Dwarven secrets in Skyrim for example. Instead in GW2 I am left to clean up personal issues for and sober up a bunch of washed up has beens I care nothing for that fell apart after one loss because they are the special heroes of Tyria. Glad those losers don’t play football…

As an example of how to sell me on an MMORPG or RPG in general, the Elder Scrolls used their game and story lines to sell us on a world for “our” adventures while GW2 made everything about their own copy righted characters. Sell me on Tyria, its history, and me having a place to adventure and explore next time. Please!?

(edited by ADFX.6179)

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I don’t have a problem helping him with his misson.

I don’t have a problem with the fact that from the minute you run into him on Claw Island, your story becomes HIS story.

I don’t have a problem with him “taking credit”. He’s a meaningless NPC in an MMO storyline. He hasn’t taken anything from me.

Having said that.

What I want is very simple:

I want a way to shut. him. up. Period.

He drones. It’s not even his constant “Debbie Downer” dribble. It’s that he never stops. It’s annoying. In one storyline on Claw Island, at a specific point on the island, you can hear 3 of him!

Enough.

I would like an ability to put NPC’s on /block or /mute.

I would like to block Trahearne and the rude norn bankers constantly barking “What?” and “I pray to the spirits”, merchants constantly intoning “I have all you need” and the host of other annoying NPCs that you can’t avoid while crafting.

If they were players, I would report them for spamming. And then /block them.

Maybe I need to go back to my decades old habit of playing with the sound off.

But I know if I did…

That won’t end well.

/drone post for example off

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

Tybalt should have been the Hero.

This.

And also Why does Treaharne get the big sword?? My character would have made a far better use of it. I do all the work and he gets the shiny??

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

d) He steals your Personal Story and it becomes his Personal Story of how he got the Pact together and lead the charge into, and eventually cleansing, Orr. Your character is reduced to nothing but a loyal side-character. A toadie. My Norn Warrior would’ve rightfully killed him for ruining and stealing his Legend.

This a thousand times. I was doing all the work while he stood around with his face in the dirt or spent that time complaining, i didn’t mind him except that the fact that he constantly would upstage me in my own story.

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

This.

And also Why does Treaharne get the big sword?? My character would have made a far better use of it. I do all the work and he gets the shiny??

Okay. That made me laugh man. I mean leave it to the MMO gamer to whine over the loot.

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

He ruined and STOLE my personal story. That’s why i never bothered finishing it.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

This.

Okay. That made me laugh man. I mean leave it to the MMO gamer to whine over the loot.

I’m not really whining but that was actually a bit of a shock to be left on the side of the road as far as the personnal story is concerned.
I was playing a warrior, and was supposed to be the hero and was pretty surprised to see the sword go to a scholar. This logic seemed king of strange.

Posted by: TheComet.6471

TheComet.6471

I’m kinda surprised it isn’t the PC being the commander of all that, then again, I’m still bitter about Tybalt’s arc ending (I loved tybalt, he was a character they fleshed out so much and then….graaaaah)

I havn’t finished the full story yet, although I’m close, so I guess I can’t complain too much yet…thar be crap on the horizon

Kaineng – Co-Leader of Skrittical Hits
Sybol – Healing Bunker Charr Mesmer (80)
Dresdon Honorclaw – Zerk All-Ranged Charr Warrior | Hawke Fullmoon – Melee Ranger

Posted by: punchbunny.1325

punchbunny.1325

I hated Trahearne the second he asked me to do the “Ask the others if they like me” quest. I really wish you could’ve gone to each pact member, told them, “Hey, this guy we’re supposed to be following? This guy who is our military leader? The one who has a powerful, well regarded hero as an asset? Yeah, he wants to know if you like him.” Like effing high school.

I’m sure General Patton did the same thing. “Better to fight for something, than to live for nothing. Commanding officers, I want you to go to each individual soldier and ask them if they like me.”

Yeah, that’s not a colossal waste of time during a WAR.

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

My friend said this to me yesterday, and I think it’s the truest thing I’ve ever heard about GW2’s story:

“GW2’s story is basically helping a leaf find out what he wants to be when he grows up.”

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

+1! Find some way to bring tybalt back!

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

He ruined and STOLE my personal story. That’s why i never bothered finishing it.

Here it is in black and white…why people hate trahearne.

We have no personal story, we become trahearnes side-kick in trahearnes personal story..

Not a good way to run a story in my opinion..

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

I guess I’m in the minority, but I didn’t have any problems with Trahearne:

• How does us helping Trahearne equate to him ‘stealing’ our personal story? It’s not like once the pact is formed we’re just watching him do missions.
  • When he asks us to feel out the other pact leaders about their concerns regarding his leadership abilities, what’s wrong here? I would imagine that each group would most certainly be wary about putting the hopes of Tyria into the hands of an untested military leader – and that Trahearne would also have doubts about whether or not he could really be that leader Tyria so desperately needs (no pressure right?).
  • On his voice, again I didn’t have any issues with it as it seemed very ‘Sylvari-like’ to me.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I love Trahearne with all of my little Sylvari wooden heart. I am his favorite minion.

Also, Sieran > Tybalt anyways.

IMO she didn’t die anyways and escaped with her perma mist form.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Riot.5210

Riot.5210

I hated Trahearne the second he asked me to do the “Ask the others if they like me” quest. I really wish you could’ve gone to each pact member, told them, “Hey, this guy we’re supposed to be following? This guy who is our military leader? The one who has a powerful, well regarded hero as an asset? Yeah, he wants to know if you like him.” Like effing high school.

I’m sure General Patton did the same thing. “Better to fight for something, than to live for nothing. Commanding officers, I want you to go to each individual soldier and ask them if they like me.”

Yeah, that’s not a colossal waste of time during a WAR.

YES! I did this quest just recently, and I remember thinking “Hmm, awfully insecure Commander about to lead us into Orr… Okay…” but I went around and I found the answers everyone gave interesting – but then the next step of the quest was simply to tattle.

Really?

So the whiny, insecure Commander tells me to go eavesdrop and collect information, and my fierce and loyal character gleefully skips off to give him a full report on who said what.

Forcing my character into a specific role is the one problem I have with GW2 storytelling. Everyone is a force of good – and not just yeah, I want to heal the world and do my part good – but annoying, simpering, Mary-Sue good. I would absolutely never be rude, or apathetic, because I will ALWAYS do the right thing! I have no flaws! I am goodness incarnate!

I liked Caithe far more than Trahearne. If you chose more aggressive options in your early story, Caithe would be like “Yeah, right on, I can’t wait to flay them alive!”

I was really confused when she suddenly was gone from the story, and really did not come back. =/

° Illusionist Alaeis – Mesmer | Meryl Winterfell – Guardian | Meryl Tonberry – Elementalist
° Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

• How does us helping Trahearne equate to him ‘stealing’ our personal story? It’s not like once the pact is formed we’re just watching him do missions.

He takes our achievements and what we come up with and presents them as his own (Fort Trinity anyone?). He quite literally steals our story.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: Shalissar.6018

Shalissar.6018

The power of life and and growth triumphs over death and decay- Too predictable to just shoehorn a poorly written Gary Stu into the plot. However, if he has the battle prowess of a blindfolded monkey, (as evidenced by his actual fighting) is he really a Stu? If I see him do that spinny thing by himself in a corner and then dive face first into his demise again, I’m really gonna flip a table.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Actually we kind of are..he does this and that you’re just along for the ride after a certain point…

Also i think the story creators have depression…

As the story is just depressing, every mission another NPC dies, pretty badly.. i’ve never seen a story blatantly kill so many characters, it kinda got to the point where “oh hes dead too that’s nice, oh she died and you ok, glad you’re gone to be honest” lol

Yes we get the point war is bad people die…but it gets monotonous when they die nearly every mission…

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

This overgrown weed clearly has no place in Pact leadership. That was a HUGE miss from Anet. Advisor on Orrian history – ok. Military leader – are you kidding me?

The only way to redeem for him would be to sacrifice himself in order to destroy the dragon. But yeah >_>

EU Aurora Glade

Posted by: Daharahj.1325

Daharahj.1325

So

Much

This.

http://atan.deviantart.com/art/I-do-Tybalt-351552871 (description contains spoiler).

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Trahearne is more plastic than Barbie. He comes across to me as someone incapable of expressing real emotion, real empathy, and real humility. He is neither witty, nor charismatic, nor approachable. He is focused completely on himself and his constant monologuing make me want to break him up into kindling and strike a match.

I hope in the next expansion, he either gets his pathetic kitten killed or he becomes one of the dragons’ newest minion recruits.

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

But guys! You don’t know half of the story!!

You know that big tooth in Hoelbrak? And that legend about someone breaking it meaning he will defeat Jormag?

Now imagine Treharne breaking it (your character won’t break it anyway as it should be a “neutral” character so it’s common on everyone’s story), that would be stealing the show 2 times from you! Really the other option would be to make another character, probably a norn, to be hated by the community for stealing the glory in another campaign, and probably it will be this way, but it would be great for the internet lols if Treharne is the chosen one again.

Next thing we know is Treharne is Kormir’s second coming (at least Treharne, unlike Kormir, wasn’t the one unleashing the evil that you had to fight for their glory).

(edited by Lokheit.7943)