Forced to re-buy skills/traits I already had?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Basically what the title asks.

When I logged into my level 80 characters, I noticed a lot of the skills and traits I had already bought are now unavailable and have to be re-bought again. Is there a reason for this?

It kinda feels like I am wasting points on stuff I already spent skill points (or gold) on to unlock.

Posted by: Lyle.8591

Lyle.8591

worst update )’:

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I too had to buy skills I already had. Not a brilliant way to do it but not a disaster, skill points were easy to get anyway. Not a huge loss but I would have preferred it if I didn’t have to buy my skills again.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I too had to buy skills I already had. Not a brilliant way to do it but not a disaster, skill points were easy to get anyway. Not a huge loss but I would have preferred it if I didn’t have to buy my skills again.

It’s not a huge loss but it still feels like a needless loss. I was just wondering if it’s working as intended or if this is some sort of bug.

I mean, I literally had every skill on my guardian unlocked. Now suddenly shouts and consecrations are no longer available. It’s like ANet just randomly decided to take away two sets of skill types just to make me re-earn it again for no reason whatsoever.

Same goes for some of my trait lines and such for characters.

Posted by: Lost in Hyrule.2963

Lost in Hyrule.2963

If you’re under level 80, I understand why it’s a frustration. However, if you are level 80, you have enough points to buy every skill and trait currently available.

This is because they switched to the new Specialization system, and instead of using Skill Points, that were limitless, you now use Hero Points which have a hard cap.

Posted by: Aureli.6487

Aureli.6487

If you have a level 80 character and alot of skill points it’s, well i wouldn’t say “alright” to buy the skill points again…it’s annoying and yes, a needless loss but meh, if you have been playing for a while, you can afford it, i guess. I think it’s worse that this update ruined alot of people’s builds (including mine).

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

None of you read the planned update notes except for Hyrule. You are not losing anything. In fact, if you are 80, anything you were missing is now something you could get, without doing any skill challenges.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Yeah what a farce.. All my lvl 80’s had everything unlocked and all had spare SP’s on them… in fact one of them alone had in excess of 1000 SP’s and a stack in the bank.. now all my toons have to spend some of those converted spare SP’s to re spend unlocking stuff I already spent on previous…. unbelievable.

Also.. those shards……. All my lvl 80’s (11 of them) had 100-1000+ SP’s spare on them (plus a stack extra in the bank) so why do I now only have 960 shards to use.. the cost of the forge items haven’t been altered but the exchange rate of SP’s to shards is a complete rip off.. 1SP SHOULD = 1 shard if the item costs are the same.

MiniEquine.6014

Yeah what a farce.. All my lvl 80’s had everything unlocked and all had spare SP’s on them… in fact one of them alone had in excess of 1000 SP’s and a stack in the bank.. now all my toons have to spend some of those converted spare SP’s to re spend unlocking stuff I already spent on previous…. unbelievable.

Also.. those shards……. All my lvl 80’s (11 of them) had 100-1000+ SP’s spare on them (plus a stack extra in the bank) so why do I now only have 960 shards to use.. the cost of the forge items haven’t been altered but the exchange rate of SP’s to shards is a complete rip off.. 1SP SHOULD = 1 shard if the item costs are the same.

Blood, did you log on to each of your characters yet? They said that you have to log on to each character to get the skill points on that character converted into spirit shards. Hope this helps.

Posted by: BruinsFan.7231

BruinsFan.7231

Ok, I had every skill unlocked for all 5 of my level 80 characters and now Anet wants me to unlock them again?!
Nice one Anet.
It’s crap like this that is making me seriously consider not purchasing HoT.

MiniEquine.6014

Ok, I had every skill unlocked for all 5 of my level 80 characters and now Anet wants me to unlock them again?!
Nice one Anet.

You do still have all your skills unlocked, you merely need to select them again. This is what happens when a system overhaul occurs. Every major update in WoW, for example, reset everybody’s trait trees and everybody had to put their points back in. This is nothing new. You lost nothing with this update.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

It literally takes 15 seconds to unlock everything on an 80 char… don’t know if I’m getting trolled here.

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

If you’re level 80, it costs you NOTHING to re-unlock the skills you already had. You’re not BUYING anything.

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Echo.3175

Echo.3175

Nice one Anet.

It’s a lot of clicking, being at level 80 you have all the skill/Hero Points anyway to unlock all the skills and re-assign them under the Build menu without any further investment. I imagine they did this to unify both old trait systems?

Edit – kitten , you people are fast

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Nice one Anet.

Yes and you do it with the skillpoints you got from lvling 1-80 now known as hero points…. the skill point scrolls and the once from lvling up past 80 is now spirit shards that are used for the mystic forge ( just as before)

Your not losing a single point. your even gaining more since you couldent unlock all your skills by just going 1-80.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Just click the 9 o clock trait/skill in the window and it will unlock the whole spec.

Posted by: SilverThorn.5047

SilverThorn.5047

It would be great to know actual skill points to hero points conversion… I had 750 ish skill points… And recieved bout 385 hero points. With my fully unlocked skills locked back…. Answers plix

Main: Silverthorn Ventus – swift as the wind, sharp as a thorn
Alt: Mulciber Ironbarrel – The fire creates as much as it destroys

Lost in Hyrule.2963

You can also, if I read it correctly, select the highest item from each tier and automatically unlock everything up to it. So only 3 or so clicks per category. A minor inconvenience, really!

Posted by: Echo.3175

Echo.3175

Should be a 1-1 conversion of skill points to Hero Points, any excess was converted to the new Mystic Forge currency if I recall.

Posted by: SilverThorn.5047

SilverThorn.5047

It’s not about spending points to unlock…. Or making the clicks it’s more like …. We give you a new patch and we made great changes but let us take those few hundred skill points you wasted across your characters.

Main: Silverthorn Ventus – swift as the wind, sharp as a thorn
Alt: Mulciber Ironbarrel – The fire creates as much as it destroys

MiniEquine.6014

It would be great to know actual skill points to hero points conversion… I had 750 ish skill points… And recieved bout 385 hero points. With my fully unlocked skills locked back…. Answers plix

It’s 1:1. Log on to every one of your characters and the skill points they have in their character menus will be converted to Spirit Shards, but only after you log on to each of them.

Edit: Skill points do NOT equal Hero Points. No skill points were converted to Hero Points. Skill Points turned into Spirit Shards and Hero Points are received by leveling up and by doing Hero Challenges (formerly Skill Challenges)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You sure you loged on to the right character? I just loged on to my warrior to check and he had like 730 skill points over and all unlocked he just bumped my spirit shards by 940

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

Did no one ready the update notes and multiple threads on how this would work?

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

Bloodstealer.5978

Blood, did you log on to each of your characters yet? They said that you have to log on to each character to get the skill points on that character converted into spirit shards. Hope this helps.

Logged into 4 of them so far and still the same totals…
Just logged into 5th toon, the one with almost 1000 SP’s on him before the patch.. my shards total went up by 500ish shards.. so I guess yes you have to log all of them in, but the conversion in a rip off.. I just lost half of the extra effort I put into the toon to build skill points in one foul hit.
Edit .. just logged another toon with not so many shards and suddenly the total shot up by almost 900.. maybe its adding them retrospectively in arrears.. so maybe not all bad as I first thought. Except for having to re-spend hero points on stuff already unlocked.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

MiniEquine.6014

Logged into 4 of them so far and still the same totals…

You need to log on to all 11. They stated in the notes that they won’t convert if you don’t log onto the characters. If you log on to every single character and your totals still don’t change, give it an hour or so and check back. I wouldn’t be surprised if their servers might be heavily loaded, but they should definitely convert.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

At level 80 you have enough hero points to unlock everything, my complaint is for my toons that aren’t level 80 where Anet decided to dump a ton of my points into things I don’t want.

I’m always open to change and can adapt fairly easily but i strongly disagree with the decision to make a change in the purchase method of skills and at the same time decide they know best how to spend them on our behalf without any kind of reset available.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

it’s a kitten move, the major loss lies in the all the skillpoints u have in excess, the skill points u waisted on characters under lv 80. not to mention the silver and gold

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

Nobody at lvl 80 is loosing anything. Nor are you having to spend more points than you already had. Now everyone gets 398 hero points just for leveling to 80, more than you had before. And that’s enough to unlock all your skills.

Yes you have to click to unlock some of them, but you are losing nothing. The points you spent before you essentially got refunded, plus some extras.

You can get another few hundred hero points from doing the old skill point challenges, any you have done will count to your hero point total.

Any other skill points earned any other way should be converted into spirit shards at a 1:1 rate. You do have to log into all characters for the conversion to take place for all skill points.

Bloodstealer.5978

Yes we probably did but it never said anything about having to spend a portion of those converted SP’s again to unlock things.. again!

My bad for missing the bit about having to log toons in to add the shards up though, I grant you that.

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

to OP and everyone else, just by being level 80 you should have more than enough points to unlock everything(i have toons leveled soly with tomes and never step outside pvp/wvw with everything unlocked), you just have to go to your training tab on your hero panel and train them.

seriously before freaking out look around the UI or ask your guildies/friends in game.

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

Your Skill points turned into spirit shards. You are not spending them unlock anything. The hero points you got were from leveling up enough to unlock everything if you are level 80.

If you have any hero points left you can always use them on the elite specializations.

MiniEquine.6014

Yes we probably did but it never said anything about having to spend a portion of those converted SP’s again to unlock things.. again!

My bad for missing the bit about having to log toons in to add the shards up though, I grant you that.

That’s because none of the converted skill points are used for traits or skills. The only thing that unlocks trait and skills are the Hero Points, which you only get by leveling and by doing Hero Challenges (formerly skill challenges). Skill points (now Spirit Shards) have absolutely nothing to do with skills.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

seriously before freaking out look around the UI or ask your guildies/friends in game.

“Seriously”, What am I supposed to do with the dog doo they gave me as traits when they spent my points on my lev 60 ranger? It’s unplayable now and it cannot be reset.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

level up or do skill challenges. most of them should be pretty easy at level 60.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This could’ve been avoided if they just unlocked them in the first place.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

You people have had weeks, if not months, to absorb this information. This has been well documented. I’m SO sorry you’re minorly inconvenienced for a moment of your life. It must be really hard.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

“Seriously”, What am I supposed to do with the dog doo they gave me as traits when they spent my points on my lev 60 ranger? It’s unplayable now and it cannot be reset.

This is what I’m actually worried about. When it said that their system would “try to spend your points to recreate your build as close as it could,” I knew this would be a problem. I don’t want it to try and spend points for me. I want to reimagine my own build on my own.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Bloodstealer.5978

That’s because none of the converted skill points are used for traits or skills. The only thing that unlocks trait and skills are the Hero Points, which you only get by leveling and by doing Hero Challenges (formerly skill challenges). Skill points (now Spirit Shards) have absolutely nothing to do with skills.

Yes I know Spirit Shards have nowt to do with skills they are for purchasing forge items etc… but the amount you get to start are based off how many SP’s you had surplus per toon + bank.

Hero Points per toon, which were converted from old system still have to be re-spent to unlock traits/skills that were already unlocked…. yes I have more than enough to do that for sure but those Hero points will likely be needed for other things yet to enter game and by having to use like 70-150+ on each toon that’s quite a few extra challenges to be done to catch them back up.

The old system basically just saw SP’s having a dual purpose , this new system basically re-engineers the same system but imo ANET just wanted to a way of killing players surplus in order to get them to redo things so that things such as new Legendaries don’t simply become a click and have thing, whilst at the same time provide a distraction to fill the possible content gap with HoT when it finally lands.
But mehhhh who knows and right now I guess all I now care about is working out how to get the best outta of my new bad build

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Some people always find something to whine about…

my goodness, we are talking about RE CLICKING ON SKILLS/TRAITS to unlock em

You guys act as if they murdered your character and sent it back to lvl 1

Y’all should have more than enough spirit shards to unlock everything if you were 80 before this update…

whine about little stuff some more please..

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

No you don’t, you’re not spending a single one of your old skill points on anything. Traits and skills are essentially free now.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

No you don’t, you’re not spending a single one of your old skill points on anything. Traits and skills are essentially free now.

So why not just unlock them all for existing 80’s? Save us all a few clicks, especially with multiple 80’s.

MiniEquine.6014

So why not just unlock them all for existing 80’s? Save us all a few clicks, especially with multiple 80’s.

Because, should you choose to hold off on unlocking everything, then you will need less hero points to unlock all of the elite specialization traits and utilities. You could forgo buying the things you don’t care about right now and use those points for that instead, if you don’t have any/enough skill challenges complete. They added that for the WvW crowd.

Lost in Hyrule.2963

Since the recently changed the number of Hero Points from leveling, unlocking them all automatically for Level 80’s would have been a good move.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Because, should you choose to hold off on unlocking everything, then you will need less hero points to unlock all of the elite specialization traits and utilities. You could forgo buying the things you don’t care about right now and use those points for that instead, if you don’t have any/enough skill challenges complete. They added that for the WvW crowd.

By that reasoning, I should be kittened that they unlocked anything at all.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Basically what the title asks.

When I logged into my level 80 characters, I noticed a lot of the skills and traits I had already bought are now unavailable and have to be re-bought again. Is there a reason for this?

It kinda feels like I am wasting points on stuff I already spent skill points (or gold) on to unlock.

If you are 80 you should have more than enough points to buy everything back. The game converted what you had in to.points and put the rest in to shards. Or that’s what it should have done.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

MiniEquine.6014

By that reasoning, I should be kittened that they unlocked anything at all.

Yeah, That’s why I’m surprised that they did that…

I really don’t think it would have been too difficult for them to just let us pick everything again. I may unlock all the base specs and skills on my two main characters, but I don’t have many skill challenges done on my other level 80 alts, and some of them are 80 because of the specializations.

There certainly isn’t any financial benefit to them automatically unlocking the traits for us either, lol…I have no idea why they did it.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Any hero points you’re spending to unlock the rest of the lines is part of the refund. They tried to give you an equivalent of whatever you were using before the patch, and left you with the remainder to spend on your own. You’re not repurchasing anything. It’s just in excess of the refund.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Runewolf.8456

Runewolf.8456

leveling w/o traits wasn’t hard before when they had stats on them, it should be even easier now. Also as a ranger you should have an even easier time since your pets can keep aggro and revive you. I’ll admit that would annoy me too but it’s not by any means unplayable.

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

All of you with stacks of spare skill points laying around must not WvW or build siege very much. I had to spend what precious few points I had left to rebuy skills I already had.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Look, if any of you know my posting history as of late you know i’ve not been the biggest Anet cheerleader, BUT i think this new system is going to be more of “get used to it and maybe get some new armor” rather than some “OMG broken gamez!” thing.

I already know a good number of my builds are wrecked.

Just have to get back to the drawing board I guess and see if its worth my time to make new builds or not.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!