Forced to re-buy skills/traits I already had?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

It’s a lot of clicking, being at level 80 you have all the skill/Hero Points anyway to unlock all the skills and re-assign them under the Build menu without any further investment. I imagine they did this to unify both old trait systems?

Edit – kitten , you people are fast

I thought maybe TOO fast – but it literally takes seconds to train all the missing stuff on a level 80.

You can click on the final icon in an incomplete Skill/Specialization line, then hit “Train” to do the whole line at once. No thought involved. It takes 20-30 clicks to max out your training. Knowing that you have enough points to buy everything helps considerably, mind.

(Actually checking the spec’s is going to take me a while longer, though!)

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I’m very annoyed I had to spend nearly 200 hero points to unlock skills I already had. Both traits and regular utility/elite skills. Very unhappy about it.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Seriously people it takes only a few seconds to unlock the skills again if you are level 80. It’s not a big deal. Stop acting like it’s the end of the world that you have to hit a button a few times. I’m just glad we have this system and not the one that they were planning on. If they put that one in THEN you’d have a right to throw a fit.

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

Why? Those 200 points cost you nothing and have literally no other purpose…

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

leveling w/o traits wasn’t hard before when they had stats on them, it should be even easier now. Also as a ranger you should have an even easier time since your pets can keep aggro and revive you. I’ll admit that would annoy me too but it’s not by any means unplayable.

I was leveling without traits. Didn’t even buy a utility skill yet. Logged on my level 20 elementalist and wasn’t even allowed to select how I wanted to spend points because the game picked traits and skills for me. I mean, I guess by not having picked anything I proved I’m incapable of doing so and couldn’t be trusted with the opportunity/chance to handle that all by myself and lonesome, right?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

All of you with stacks of spare skill points laying around must not WvW or build siege very much. I had to spend what precious few points I had left to rebuy skills I already had.

Amazing please tell me how you did it since people are screaming for a way to turn spirit shards into hero points. Sensei we need your wisdom

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

All of you with stacks of spare skill points laying around must not WvW or build siege very much. I had to spend what precious few points I had left to rebuy skills I already had.

You didn’t have to “spend” any precious points. If you were level 80, Anet automatically gave you enough points to unlock everything. This is what we (WvW folks) god kitten wanted. The system they had before would have forced you to go out into PVE maps and do 65 skill challenges before being able to unlock all the skills you already had. Now, you don’t have to do that.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Since they gave us enough hero points to unlock everything, I don’t understand what the upset is.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Since they gave us enough hero points to unlock everything, I don’t understand what the upset is.

The only upset is players below level 80 weren’t given the option to choose their own builds, and there’s no way to reset hero points- they’re like skill points. Once they’re spent, they’re spent.

The people at level 80 just don’t understand that they didn’t lose out.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: noraia.8570

noraia.8570

“I mean, I guess by not having picked anything I proved I’m incapable of doing so and couldn’t be trusted with the opportunity/chance to handle that all by myself and lonesome, right?”

ohhhhhhhhhh… Maybe that is what happened to me :/ I am pretty bummed though that I don’t get to choose for myself

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Are people really this obtuse?

Posted by: Craray.2603

Craray.2603

All your characters have now a fixed amount of hero points no?
The skillpoints you used to have are now spiritshards

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

this update has make the trait system gone back to the original state when GW2 was launched , and even better, since you can simply unlock utility skills as well without having to hunt anything if you level up your character to 80.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Yeah what a farce.. All my lvl 80’s had everything unlocked and all had spare SP’s on them… in fact one of them alone had in excess of 1000 SP’s and a stack in the bank.. now all my toons have to spend some of those converted spare SP’s to re spend unlocking stuff I already spent on previous…. unbelievable.

Also.. those shards……. All my lvl 80’s (11 of them) had 100-1000+ SP’s spare on them (plus a stack extra in the bank) so why do I now only have 960 shards to use.. the cost of the forge items haven’t been altered but the exchange rate of SP’s to shards is a complete rip off.. 1SP SHOULD = 1 shard if the item costs are the same.

No you don’t, you’re not spending a single one of your old skill points on anything. Traits and skills are essentially free now.

So why not just unlock them all for existing 80’s? Save us all a few clicks, especially with multiple 80’s.

Because, should you choose to hold off on unlocking everything, then you will need less hero points to unlock all of the elite specialization traits and utilities. You could forgo buying the things you don’t care about right now and use those points for that instead, if you don’t have any/enough skill challenges complete. They added that for the WvW crowd.

If they wanted us to have a choice in the matter of unlocking now or waiting until elite specializations arrive, they shouldn’t forcibly unlock a random mess of things. All or nothing would’ve been the only reasonable options, yet they chose the messy 3rd option that no one is happy about.