Forcing crafting for progression is bad

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Karril Daltaya.4980

Karril Daltaya.4980

I do not craft. I do not craft in any game, it is a terrible thing to me. This game has always been about ‘play how you want’ but now if I want to get this new item level you will be forced to craft.

Now, they have said that there is a really rare chance for the items (in boxes) to drop, but how realistic is that? Most characters need at least two weapons, some as many as four or more. (For my mesmer and guardian, I tend to use all of the weapons, my ranger I only use a few)

At two weeks a craft, that would take months, if not a year to fully outfit…but with these ‘very rare drops’?

I would not have minded if they were able to be bought on the TP from people who /do/ craft. Give people who like to craft something to make money off of! Go for it! Makes me happy, makes them happy, everyone gets money and items…but forcing people to play in ways they dont want to for progression is against what this game was supposed to be about, isnt it?

Tarnished Coast since Beta, now Banished forever to the Megaservers…

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Now, they have said that there is a really rare chance for the items (in boxes) to drop, but how realistic is that? Most characters need at least two weapons, some as many as four or more. (For my mesmer and guardian, I tend to use all of the weapons, my ranger I only use a few)

At two weeks a craft, that would take months, if not a year to fully outfit…but with these ‘very rare drops’?

Also, don’t forget that ascended armor will be out by the end of the year, at least we can start gathering those mats now. But if we can go by the same logic as the weapons I see two outcomes, “2 weeks” for a full set of armor or for each piece (so 2-12 weeks worth of refinded mats to get 1 set of armor).

I understand why they time gate. Some people who have more than enough money (and/or time) to do whatever they want; they would be able to get the best gear on day 1 (or manipulate the market and make even more money). While the “average player” has to grind money or spend their limited time to get 2 weeks worth of gathering in one day. Time gating is one of the few things that can let people with vastly different play times stay competitive with each other. The down side, it really screws over multiple builds or weapons on 1 character or people with many characters (there was a recent thread of how many alts you have, some have 40+ alts, though the standard seemed to be. I mean there’s only 4 months left in the year, so we don’t have long to get our weapons (min 4 weeks, if not 8 if you have 2 sets of one handers) and start saving for your armor.

I would not have minded if they were able to be bought on the TP from people who /do/ craft. Give people who like to craft something to make money off of! Go for it! Makes me happy, makes them happy, everyone gets money and items…but forcing people to play in ways they dont want to for progression is against what this game was supposed to be about, isnt it?

Technically that’s why you can trade the time gated mats. People who take the time to get to 500 but don’t care about ascended weapons off the bat will most likely make a killing the first couple of weeks. And any gathers will see most mats rise in cost because of the high cost of everything. And while I don’t want ascended weapons or armor in the game at all, if you want it you need to get it how they introduce it. I know you dislike crafting, but 10-15 gold (could be higher now that the other mats are being bought up) and about 20-30min and you have a 400 level crafting profession. Personally, I don’t like dungeons, but I had to do it to get my dungeon tokens for an eventual legendary. If you want something you need to play how the game says you get it.

I would suggest at least to wait and see how bad the drop rate is before you cry foul. I mean when I had the time to do world boss runs, I could get an exotic once every 2-3 days. And I just got a named one running AC the other day. If they are about as rare as exotics it shouldn’t be too bad in PvE. If you just WvW, I don’t know what to say by sorry.

Karril Daltaya.4980

I know how ‘easy’ it is to craft, that isnt the point. If i wanted to craft, I would. I do not wish to spend the time I have playing this game on that activity.

From what they have said it is going to be more rare than an exotic, but less rare than a precursor. So, what, a drop or two every 1,000 hours?

The thought of ascended armour is a horrifying one, in my anger over what they decided for the weapons, I had forgotten about that entirely.

And yes, I have the ‘misfortune’ to be one of the dedicated WvW players who will most likely get the shaft, or at the very least be forced to spend long amounts of time /not/ playing what I find enjoyable in this game to make myself competitive in combat once again.

Lovely.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

In good rpg your awesome looking items are acquired by doing the most challenging parts of the game. In poor rpgs without challenge at all, you buy/craft them, go in a city, equip that weapon and go afk.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

As opposed to forcing guild missions, dailies, or fractals?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Nuka Cola.8520

Dailies are as bad, guild missions ARE worst but don’t blame fractals. Fractals is just a dungeon as you’d get in another game you could (if wanted to) grind a skin, nothing else. Rings aren’t only in fractals anymore so if fractal weps aren’t your thing then there’s no point of doing them

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Yeah, the chance for exotics to drop is “rare” and I’ve only gotten one crappy one in 3000 hours of gameplay. If the ascended gear drop rate is “really rare” then I probably will never see an ascended piece of gear in my lifetime. This game is going downhill very quickly.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

So much for “Play the way you want”. I’m really hoping they’ll introduce more ways to obtain ascended weapons in the near future, otherwise it’s going to be nasty.

And hell, if they really don’t want to give us other means to obtain them, then at least make all ascended mats and weapons tradable. Enough with this account bound nonsense. Not even legendaries are account bound.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Dailies are as bad, guild missions ARE worst but don’t blame fractals. Fractals is just a dungeon as you’d get in another game you could (if wanted to) grind a skin, nothing else. Rings aren’t only in fractals anymore so if fractal weps aren’t your thing then there’s no point of doing them

I was referring to back pieces. Which are almost exclusively obtained via fractals.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: FirstBlood.7359

FirstBlood.7359

You might hate dailies, but they leave at least a bit of freedom to players. Without changing your playstyle you can complete most categories. For example, 50 Kills, 10 successful dodges …

The new ascended weapons force players to craft. For me personally and some others, crafting is the most boring aspect in the game. I simply cannot stand doing it: stand there, press a button, wait 1 minute, press another button.

Tz tz

Nuka Cola.8520

I was referring to back pieces. Which are almost exclusively obtained via fractals.

i completely forgot about them so its true

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

They can drop off the mobs that will drop T7 mats so your not forced into any thing but if you MUST get it as fast as you can then crafting is the way to go. So far crafting has been mostly pointless it saves some gold and it may make you some but there no reason to craft once one person has all level 400 crafting. This gives ppl a reason to craft and if you do not want to craft there are others ways to get these weapons and in a way it should be easier to get the set wepon you want then say getting rings earring back items etc.. for the most part.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Reslinal.2359

Reslinal.2359

I completely agree with original poster. I don’t like crafting at all and I don’t see why I should be forced to do it to progress. I am completely ok with gated crafting to get ascended weapon as long as it’s also tradeable on TP.

Also since crafting of ascended weapon is already time gated, allow it to be purchasable on TP will not shorten the time for people to get them but actually prolong it (e.g. instead of two people getting both ascended weapon within 2 weeks if they both craft, now it will take 4 weeks for both them to get them if only one craft). Also allow ascended weapon to be tradable will also making crafting more unique and encourage specialization, with the current system you are just force everyone to be a master crafter.

Blackgate Engineer

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

crafting is a form of progression.

every other MMO out there has great icentives for lvling up crafting

WoW for example lets u craft gear that is the same tier as the current raid. and lets u sell to players.

its about time u had crafting so you can be self sufficant and start learning how mmos work.

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

WoW for example lets u craft gear that is the same tier as the current raid. and lets u sell to players.

its about time u had crafting so you can be self sufficant and start learning how mmos work.

In all other MMOs I played, the stuff you crafted at least could be traded.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Karril Daltaya.4980

Seriously? This is your argument?

I know very well how mmorpgs work, because I have had the misfortune of playing quite a few of them. None of which has ever forced me to craft so I could obtain the next tier of gear. There are always other ways that are just as viable to obtain it.

In this one, however, there is only a ‘very rare’ chance that you will get a box where you can get an ascended weapon. Considering that I, like many people, have multiple characters with multiple weapon sets…this poses quite a problem.

I do not need an ‘incentive’ to level up crafting. If i wanted to craft, I would. My point is that I do not wish to do it. This game has been all about not forcing you to do things, and now they are making it so you are going to be forced to craft. Not only craft, but spend quite a long time doing so, just to keep to the forefront of progression.

This takes away from the time I can be spending enjoying the aspects of the game that I /do/ find enjoyable, world vs world.

Posted by: Araris.7839

Araris.7839

Crafting is not progression, it’s a style of gameplay. A style that only a section of the player base in each MMO take part in.

You know nothing about MMOs.

Nuka Cola.8520

Crafting is not progression, it’s a style of gameplay. A style that only a section of the player base in each MMO take part in.

You know nothing about MMOs.

+1. GW2 is starting to show how simplistic and none existent end game is in this game when people call things such as crafting end game rofl.

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

Yeah, have to agree with the OP on this one.

As it stands right now, the only people who will have access to Ascended are A.) crafters and B.) people with a ton of gold who will be able to buy the few Asc items that pop up on the TP (assuming that the ones found as drops are actually sellable). That’s it. Sure you can say that there’s a chance that you yourself can get the item as a drop, but the odds for that are beyond terrible. Given that Asc is supposed to be the next tier in equipment, only having a lottery winners chance to get one bit of it (unless you’re a crafter or dedicated farmer) is a pretty poor design decision.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I gotta be honest, I’m Not looking forward to this. …And Crafting was definitely the thing I put the MOST effort into in the Beta weekends and and at launch.

But somewhere along the line… even though I found ways to break even or make a small profit while getting every discipline to 400… it got really tedious. It got so bad that it’s taken me until just last month to finally hit Master Craftsmen and the only reason I did was b/c I needed to power level an Alt (mesmer … they’re kinda important to have for all the free portal abuse they still allow).

I don’t think it’s the process specifically that’s just not fun and not motivating about crafting. I think it’s the stupid scarcity of mid-level Fine Mats … and having to account for all of them before just going ahead and crafting with it. Paying 2silv ea for them is dumb and wandering out in the native level range of them trying to get them to drop from mobs is even dumber with how fast Diminishing Returns will cut you off at the knees. I really hate time sinks that are gated purely by a Random Number Generator.

Karril Daltaya.4980

Hey, I am all for people selling me ascended weapons. Please! I would love to make some poor kitten rich, just let me go back to wvw instead of having to do other crap so i can stay competitive.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

you don’t actually craft your ascended weapon.

Since 99.9% of the time is spent gathering material.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

working at the crafting station is the worst part of the whole game; “discovering” formulas that are obvious starting at the lowest levels over and over and over again is not fun at all.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The thing is that progression is inherently exclusive.

A lot of people claim they’d like to work for stronger gear because it’s something work for, but in reality I would say they’re trying to get something other people don’t.

This is why horizontal progression was a good idea in Gw2. It was a way of being exclusive without really affecting matters because looks are subjective. You can’t argue about how you can’t live without another skin, but being 10% weaker might be. I mean, people already get kicked for not wearing the right gear; much less a weaker tier, and this will happen soon enough.

But is it all bad? Not necessarily. If we use progression to at least be exclusive due to skill, that would make some degree of sense. But when progression rewards mindless grinding; well is this what we want to really be excluding others of?

Of course, things aren’t so black and white, and it’s more of an issue of maximizing the avenues of which to get stuff given enough effort from the player. But they all need to be engaging to some degree.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

lol @ this post.

How about you wait to find out how rare they are before complaining about it? Since you CAN get them out of chests via any mode in the game, no one is forcing you to do anything. Ridiculous.

Nuka Cola.8520

lol @ this post.

How about you wait to find out how rare they are before complaining about it? Since you CAN get them out of chests via any mode in the game, no one is forcing you to do anything. Ridiculous.

Okay lets see… you get one exotic drop ~200h. Ascended is ‘rarer’ than exotic and costs waaaaay more to craft so if the chance of an exotic drop is 0.03%, chance of an ascended dropping will take you~~~~~ well, one should drop by 2015.

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Here’s some features that WoW also had that you neglected to mention:

A) The ability to specialize in gathering instead of crafting, allowing you to serve an economic niche.

B) Raid incentives for gathering professions (albeit not as good as those from crafting, but its still there and not an “unfilled slot”).

C) An addon API, allowing crafters to make optimal use of their time through sophisticated, hands-off systems.

I’m fairly certain crafting is in GW2 because its regarded as an “MMO thing”, even though, when people praise this game, its because it feels like an “action game” and not because its an incredible virtual world simulator where you have a job.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Sanctus.8350

Sanctus.8350

Forcing dungeon running for progression is bad, I don’t run dungeons.
Forcing achievement points for rewards is bad, I don’t have time for achievements.
Forcing the trading post to obtain items is bad, I don’t have the gold.
Forcing random world drops for rare items is bad, I don’t farm.

Obtaining an ascended weapon(s) wont be realistic for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that; the point is the possibility is there. You aren’t forced to do anything.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I do not craft. I do not craft in any game, it is a terrible thing to me. This game has always been about ‘play how you want’ but now if I want to get this new item level you will be forced to craft.

I don’t know if this is a joke, but here are some estimated materials for 1 ascended weapon I found in the crafting section…

“-Ascended Dagger

1xDeldrimor Steel Dagger Blade (3x deldrimor steel ingot, 5 crystaline dust, 50 Thermocatalytic Reagent)
1xDeldrimor Steel Dagger Hilt (2x deldrimor steel ingot, 5 crystaline dust, 50 Thermocatalytic Reagent)
1x Ascension Crystal (1x augur crystal, 5x Empyreal star, 5x dragonite ingot, 5x bloodstone brick)
1x Ascended Inscription (10 dark matter, 1 exotic inscription, 1 deldrimor steel plated dowel, 10 crystalline dust)

Total:
20 Pile of Crystaline Dust
350 Thermocatalytic Reagent
1 Augur Crystal
10 Dark Matter
500 Pile of Bloodstone Dust
500 Empyreal Shard
500 Dragonite Ore
160 Iron Ingot
80 Steel Ingot
160 Darksteel Ingot
400 Mithril Ingot
10 Globs of Ectoplasm
40 soft Wood Plank
40 seasoned Wood Plank
40 Hard Wood Plank
100 Elder Wood Plank
1 Exotic Inscription
30 Obsidian Shard"

glhf y’all!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

^ If you hate crafting, dont’ worry, there is hardly any crafting involve.

The real work is gathering material, which can be found in dungeon, wvw, champ, jp etc.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Guys, it’s “play how you want” not “get what you want”.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Forcing crafting is not what is wrong with the picture. The wrong is instituting the non-optional gear grind that is vertical progression. Regardless of how close they locate the treadmill to your playstyle, the ride is still a non-optional grind. But, since managing VP is difficult, distributing the grind does pose its challenges. Given that A-drops probably won’t be happening for the average player, then yes, a crafting only treadmill might be analogous to the original location of VP in one dungeon (fotm). Perhaps we should have access to other treadmills as well.