Foreign Language

Foreign Language

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

Can you speak on map chat in Foreign Language ?

Foreign Language

Posted by: Gozzo.7380

Gozzo.7380

oui

15 character blabla

Foreign Language

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Probably. Just don’t expect to get a civilized response back, because this is ’Murica.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Foreign Language

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Unfortunately, not on the forums, though.

Foreign Language

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Only in overflow (or “foreign” servers).

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

Foreign Language

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

It’s not against the rules, but if you’re on an English server people might dislike you for it. So best to either join a server that’s in your own language, or join a guild that speaks your language and avoid typing on the map chat. If you don’t care about a few angry people though then go ahead, they can’t get you banned for it

Foreign Language

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Well duh. People do it all the time.

Usually it’s only considered rude to speak in “foreign” on Overflow servers, because those can easily mash together people with 10 or more different native languages, so speaking anything other than English is counter-productive.

Foreign Language

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

The Koreans do it all the time when they wake up on BG.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Foreign Language

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It’s not against the rules, but if you’re on an English server people might dislike you for it. So best to either join a server that’s in your own language, or join a guild that speaks your language and avoid typing on the map chat. If you don’t care about a few angry people though then go ahead, they can’t get you banned for it

There are no English servers though.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Foreign Language

Mirta.5029

There are no English servers though.

I assume that anything without the [] is an English server.

Foreign Language

lordkrall.7241

Which is not the case.
Everything without specific language tags are international servers and thus have no official language.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Foreign Language

Mirta.5029

Which is not the case.
Everything without specific language tags are international servers and thus have no official language.

Except that the International language is English, that’s why every single country learns it in schools. It helps for people from different countries to communicate with one another.

Foreign Language

lordkrall.7241

Incorrect. English is not considered the “international language of the world”. In certain business German is considered the international language for one.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Foreign Language

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

serious case of “inside-a-bubble-itis”

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Foreign Language

Posted by: Wranglerist.5489

Wranglerist.5489

No. English IS the International language. You even learn that at school. It’s also why EVERYBODY learns it and also why it’s one of the primary classes. You fail English, you won’t graduate.

#ELEtism

Foreign Language

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

The Koreans do it all the time when they wake up on BG.

Don’t recall seeing it in map, but they do do it in say.

On a side note I wish there was character support, i would rather see the characters than a blank.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Foreign Language

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

No. English IS the International language. You even learn that at school. It’s also why EVERYBODY learns it and also why it’s one of the primary classes. You fail English, you won’t graduate.

Actually, there are two international languages. English and French. WIth french going down, and english slowly remplacing it.

Foreign Language

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Use whatever language will give you the best chance of reaching whatever audience you intend your message for.

If anyone complains about it, that’s their problem.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Foreign Language

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t know about the NA servers but on the EU ones you can use whatever language you want. There’s just no guarantee that anyone will understand you.

For example Desolation, which is not only officially an English speaking (aka untagged) server but also unofficially a predominantly UK server has at least 1 Russian and 1 Dutch speaking guild and every so often I see people talking in map chat in various other languages. I think some servers are mainly used by people speaking unsupported languages, but I couldn’t tell you which ones.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Foreign Language

Draco.2806

Come to think of it, it’s odd ANet don’t have any language support. I mean, they are dealing with Europe, there’s a lot of variety right there.

By support I mean, allowing people to declare what language they’re talking in (helps with filtering, too) and actually having different font sets for non-Latin languages (like Cyrillic or Arabic).

Foreign Language

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

They have Chinese characters (I’m not sure if that’s Mandarin or Cantonese). Only normally available on the (up-coming) Chinese servers but there was a glitch in August where object names would randomly be displayed in Chinese.

I could be wrong but I think they’re gradually increasing the number of supported languages, but it takes a lot of time to convert everything and is probably very difficult to do with the bi-weekly release schedule because they can’t just hire a team to translate everything and then leave it at that, they’d have to keep doing it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Foreign Language

Draco.2806

Translation will definitely take a while. Just implementing typesets so people can chat properly, though, that shouldn’t be such a gargantuan task.

Foreign Language

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The game does recognize a number of languages in a small way. You get the exact same animation with /yes, /si, /ja, etc.