Forum Slurs- Pledge against them

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I, Guhracie.3419, do pledge that I will not make use of the petty and demeaning go-to forum slurs. I also pledge that I will immediately disregard the entirety of any post making active use of these slurs, even if the overall opinion is in keeping with my own views. Henceforth, the following ad hominim attacks (and any variation thereof) will be ignored (and not used) by me:
White knight
fanboy
troll
shill
haters
whiners
complainers
entitled
toxic
QQ

Please feel free to add to this list, and I will keep it updated with my own personal pledge. Feel free to modify the pledge in any way you’d like, as long as it’s in keeping with the whole theme of making the forum a more positive place to be. Let’s do a little self moderation, folks.

EDIT: To add a few I agree with. I’m also not saying that these words are ignored without context, I’m saying that when they’re slung around as slurs, I’m not going to engage with that post.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

A good list but I will debate “toxic.” I mean if it’s aimed at one person, as in “you are making a toxic post,” sure. But I think the term applies nicely to some overall behaviors discussed vis a vis champ train disputes and “fail farmers” versus “event completers.” Likewise “complainers” would need to be viewed in context to see if it were a slur meant to deride or a simple description of people with concerns to air.

So don’t be as draconian and undiscerning as the feline filter

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I already avoid using these terms (and I believe you do also) but I’m behind this idea. Some people have to criticize a person instead of disagreeing with the idea. The forums would definitely be a better environment if people could stop bashing others.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Guhracie.3419

A good list but I will debate “toxic.” I mean if it’s aimed at one person, as in “you are making a toxic post,” sure. But I think the term applies nicely to some overall behaviors discussed vis a vis champ train disputes and “fail farmers” versus “event completers.” Likewise “complainers” would need to be viewed in context to see if it were a slur meant to deride or a simple description of people with concerns to air.

That’s why I used the term “forum slur” and the term “ad hominim attacks;” I feel that’s pretty discerning.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Guhracie.3419

Seriously?

Want me to use a word other than the true one so I can avoid hurting your shiny feelings or something?

I don’t want you to do anything you’re not comfortable doing. I’m simply pledging my intentions.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Let’s do a little self moderation, folks.

Unfortunately, while I admire your intent, it will be ignored by the people it applies to. Name-calling tends to be their second nature if they cannot prove or validate a point. Let the moderators deal with that element instead.

I’m sure someone will come along and name-call you because of this thread.

Edit: It seems it already happened while I was typing this. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Not a saying but more of an way of phasing something in such a way as if they are changeling the game makers to something and if they do not get a replay from the game makers them self then they are justify in there point of view. The entitlement point of view.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Guhracie.3419

Unfortunately, while I admire your intent, it will be ignored by the people it applies to. Name-calling tends to be their second nature if they cannot prove or validate a point. Let the moderators deal with that element instead.

I’m sure someone will come along and name-call you instead because of this.

Edit: It seems it already happened. . . .

I just thought it would be a good social experiment to see if anyone would be willing to join me in this, and perhaps make people think about how they frame their arguments. I’d like to leave it to the moderators, but it would be nice if we could do what we can, no? Additionally, I can’t talk about forum moderation directly, as it’s against the rule, but… well, some of these seem to slip through the cracks.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: ofLegends.9853

ofLegends.9853

Edit: It seems it already happened. . . .

Cute, I see what you did there.

So, since I disagree with this thread and stated as much, I’m incapable of self-moderation and can only name call. Nice. Seems you are guilty of the thing you’re accusing me of.

For the record, I find the thread misleading. It’s like those people who jokingly say “that’s racist!” when people say they like red M&Ms better than yellow. It’s stupid because they’re applying a very harsh and negative word to something small and insignificant. And your list of words certainly has a lot of small, insignificant ones on there.

But, you know, carry on.

— Former engi main | Bring back my Power Rifle Grenadier!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OWwwqPxDI

Ardenwolfe.8590

I look at it this way: If the thread, and topic, doesn’t apply to you, why would anyone get upset? If it does apply to you, well then, one might lash out with an argument based on semantics.

Either way, it’s as simple this: be civil.

I don’t think that’s too much to ask since it’s already in the rules.

Edit:

I just thought it would be a good social experiment to see if anyone would be willing to join me in this, and perhaps make people think about how they frame their arguments

I will do my best to never use those words on the forums.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Guhracie.3419

I really thought phrasing this as a personal statement and encouraging others to do what they feel is right for them would deflect negativity. I really was trying to do a good thing, here.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

You should add Folks to the list. That slur refers to people in general. I am not a person in general. I am a unique person and not in any general sense, and I consider it an offensive personal attack against me that you would use the word Folks, as if to group all of us together.

My point is that most of those words on the list aren’t anymore offensive than the word folks. The word Complainers especially. You’re trying to imply that we shouldn’t make a post replying to everyone complaining about something, and must use some English gymnastics to say what I want to say in a different way? Yeah, I’m not that good with gymnastics, in any form, so, I’ll keep using Complainers.

Shill and Whiners, yeah, those are always offensive, no matter how they are used. I’m not even sure why White Knight is even a thing here in these forums. Its as random as using Sea Lion to describe people who purposely press/support an issue for no other purpose than to Troll, but claim that its okay because they are being polite about it. Offensive and should be used a lot less…..but so random.

But, hey? You are Entitled to your opinion, and I’m Entitled to mine, thus, I will not make this pledge with you. Good luck though. It’d be interesting to see if this changes anything at all, because, yeah, words are powerful, and it makes this place more Toxic when certain words are used, that shouldn’t be used in what is supposedly polite society.

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Metrics

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

This thread is toxic.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

I will immediately disregard the entirety of any post making active use of these slurs

Fighting ad hominem with the equivalent of ad hominem!

lol/10

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Sorry, something as generic as “complainer” is hardly a slur. I’ll grant you whiner, QQ and white knight, since calling someone a “troll” is infractable it annoyed me that “white knight” wasn’t.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As someone who has been trying tor refrain from derogatory word choices for some time, I applaud the OP.

@ Chrispy
Folks is, as you put it, a general term. I would not refer to you as “folks,” though I might refer to players who share a common idea or desire as “the folks who prefer X.” There is nothing derogatory about the term.

I disagree with the inclusion of “complainer” or “complainers” as absolute terms to avoid. A complainer is simply someone who is complaining. It can be used as an assault, (i.e., "X is just a complainer) or simply as a referent (i.e., “The complainers are upset because they feel that the new trait system is alt unfriendly.”).

The same dual functionality cannot be said to apply to terms like “shill,” whiner," etc. These terms are pejoratives. They have derogatory connotations regardless of how they are used.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I Zera Allimatti.2541 do pledge to keep doing what I am doing and not give any power to mere words on my screen. It does not matter whether someone calls me a white knight, a whiner, entitled, toxic, or any other ‘slur’ you can think of. These words have no affect on me. It is my sincere hope that one day, more people will be like me and be able to shrug off mere words on a screen like a breeze on a typical day. Use it to cool off instead of getting worked up.

Long story short: I do not support your little pledge and your desire to limit free speech. This sort of mentality is what creates environments where any word can be considered offensive. Please stop giving words so much power over you, you are ruining it for the rest of us.

These words are only offensive because you yourself made them offensive. Stop doing this to yourself. You should have more self worth than that. Come to the light! I have faith in you! Take back the power you gave them over you! /empower

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Chrispy.5641

@ Chrispy
Folks is, as you put it, a general term. I would not refer to you as “folks,” though I might refer to players who share a common idea or desire as “the folks who prefer X.” There is nothing derogatory about the term.

I disagree with the inclusion of “complainer” or “complainers” as absolute terms to avoid. A complainer is simply someone who is complaining. It can be used as an assault, (i.e., "X is just a complainer) or simply as a referent (i.e., “The complainers are upset because they feel that the new trait system is alt unfriendly.”).

Then you missed my point, in that many of the words on the list (like complainers) aren’t really anymore offensive than that word is.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

What in the unreasonable armpit of Baal even is this?

This is taking some sort of stand against word use?
Pass around the thesaurus, maybe.

Figuratively striking up the marching band and trying to get people to wear another flavor of purity ring is comical at best, will do absolutely nothing but encourage anyone stuck on such terms to use them even more just to spite you, if they even notice and in noticing care.

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Donari.5237

Zera, valid points. Except why call it “your little pledge?” That seems a bit condescending and unkind, though illustrative of your opinion that words don’t hurt those who don’t let them. Also it’s not an attempt to limit free speech, as the OP never said people can’t use the words, only that those who wish to join the pledge are free to do so.

If nothing else, the OP has highlighted terms that have become buzzwords meant to still discourse and perhaps some will rethink their use of them as a result.

I’m not pledging, myself. I don’t need to, as I generally prefer to go through life not saying mean things to people. Golden Rule and all that. I don’t claim perfection in this, I can never account for how others will “hear” my tone and react, but I do avoid derogatory terms as best I can.

Djinn.9245

“draconian”? ROFLMAO

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

Seriously?

These are not “forum slurs”, these are more like “overused words/terms”, if anything. “slur” implies much more negative feelings than words like “complaining” deserve. Look up the definition of complaining, you are literally doing it yourself right now. Want me to use a word other than the true one so I can avoid hurting your shiny feelings or something?

Calling someone a “complainer” is not the same as saying something about someone “complaining”. In the first, you are attempting to label a person. In the second you are labeling their behavior.

Djinn.9245

I really thought phrasing this as a personal statement and encouraging others to do what they feel is right for them would deflect negativity. I really was trying to do a good thing, here.

People can be funny. I don’t know how many arguments I’ve gotten into regarding things that seemed pretty straightforward. Its surprising what people will argue for or against.

Donari.5237

“draconian”? ROFLMAO

/grins

I mean how if you use “bit” instead of “tad” in “a tad cheesy,” for instance. Or comment on how hard someone is working on something, but just follow “hard” with “on.” Or say you are going to … gosh, how do I paraphrase this. “Examine the merits of something” but you use a common slang word for “rear end” followed by “ess.” Heck, I cannot even comment on a post by Redenaz by saying he is right, if the letter “i” in any way follows his name. That filter has no context to it at all, it simply checks for letter strings without making use of an exceptions list to allow innocent words free use.

I call that draconian and undiscerning, indeed I do.

Djinn.9245

You should add Folks to the list. That slur refers to people in general. I am not a person in general. I am a unique person and not in any general sense, and I consider it an offensive personal attack against me that you would use the word Folks, as if to group all of us together.

I’m confused about this one – “folks” means “people”.

My point is that most of those words on the list aren’t anymore offensive than the word folks. The word Complainers especially. You’re trying to imply that we shouldn’t make a post replying to everyone complaining about something, and must use some English gymnastics to say what I want to say in a different way? Yeah, I’m not that good with gymnastics, in any form, so, I’ll keep using Complainers.

There is a huge difference between calling something written “a complaint” and calling a person “a complainer”. Applying this type of label to a person is an attack. Talk about what people say, not about the person.

Djinn.9245

I will immediately disregard the entirety of any post making active use of these slurs

lol/10

It is only common sense to ignore rude people. How is that ad hominem? Please explain.

Djinn.9245

I disagree with the inclusion of “complainer” or “complainers” as absolute terms to avoid. A complainer is simply someone who is complaining.

Nope, labeling a person something negative is always an attack.

Behellagh.1468

If every time you see a negative comment from the same player time and time again without any constructive suggestions, and they don’t have any complementary posts, then complainer is an appropriate term. It’s considerably less pejorative than whiner or QQ.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

What about “scrub?” Or degrading people based on what area of the game they like to play?

Example: PVP scrub, PVE scrub, WVW scrub, etc.

Djinn.9245

If every time you see a negative comment from the same player time and time again without any constructive suggestions, and they don’t have any complementary posts, then complainer is an appropriate term. It’s considerably less pejorative than whiner or QQ.

I don’t feel the need to judge a person or call them names. I comment on their words, not the person.

Guhracie.3419

I Zera Allimatti.2541 do pledge to keep doing what I am doing and not give any power to mere words on my screen. It does not matter whether someone calls me a white knight, a whiner, entitled, toxic, or any other ‘slur’ you can think of. These words have no affect on me. It is my sincere hope that one day, more people will be like me and be able to shrug off mere words on a screen like a breeze on a typical day. Use it to cool off instead of getting worked up.

Long story short: I do not support your little pledge and your desire to limit free speech. This sort of mentality is what creates environments where any word can be considered offensive. Please stop giving words so much power over you, you are ruining it for the rest of us.

These words are only offensive because you yourself made them offensive. Stop doing this to yourself. You should have more self worth than that. Come to the light! I have faith in you! Take back the power you gave them over you! /empower

…where does my pledge talk about my self-worth? The whole point of it is that these words don’t have power over me, because I won’t engage with them at all. They are inherently offensive in the context of this forum, and I choose not to participate. It’s extremely weird that you’ve made acting with civility into an issue of either political correctness or my self-esteem, or some combination of both.

-Mike O’Brien

Zera Allimatti.2541

…where does my pledge talk about my self-worth? The whole point of it is that these words don’t have power over me, because I won’t engage with them at all. They are inherently offensive in the context of this forum, and I choose not to participate. It’s extremely weird that you’ve made acting with civility into an issue of either political correctness or my self-esteem, or some combination of both.

It doesn’t specifically talk about self-worth, you just come across as someone who is easily offended.

Guhracie.3419

It doesn’t specifically talk about self-worth, you just come across as someone who is easily offended.

Ad hominem attacks do offend me, but not in the sense you’re describing. I admit that sometimes I get hurt by words, and that’s my own issue, and has almost nothing to do with why I began this thread. I am offended by how these sorts of things are flung around in an attempt to derail or entirely cease actual discussion with other people. I’ve tried to describe slurs that are thrown at all types of posters, but I obviously know the ones that are usually applied to me a little bit more intimately than some of the others. This is not about defending myself. I can and generally do defend myself directly, if I feel the need. This is not an attempt to be passive-aggressive. This is just pointing out that these things are not constructive, and I won’t participate.

Thanks for the attempt to empower me, but it is truly not necessary.

-Mike O’Brien

Chrispy.5641

I’m confused about this one – “folks” means “people”.

Folks mean People in General, not People

There is a huge difference between calling something written “a complaint” and calling a person “a complainer”. Applying this type of label to a person is an attack. Talk about what people say, not about the person.

So, instead of saying “To those Complainers out there”, I should instead say “To those that are Complaining out there”? They mean pretty much the same thing outside of formal/legal English, since the -er suffix on the word means at a most basic level that the word Complainers means that a person is doing an action indicated by the root word (in this case complain : to express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.)

This means that a Complainer is a person that is expressing dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or event.

There is nothing sexist, racist, derogatory, discriminatory, or offensive in any way by calling someone a complainer, if complaining is something that person happened to be doing at the time.

To say that calling someone a complainer an attack would also mean that making any reference to someone complaining about anything, is also an attack, and this would mean that other harmless descriptors, such as Players or Folks, is also offensive.

This is different from an actual offensive word such as Whiner, which is bascally someone complaining in a petty/trivial/childish way. What you think is trivial/childish is not what he/she thinks is trivial/childish, therefore the term is somewhat accusatory, and therefore offensive. You’re also implying that the person is childish, which, last I checked, all of us are definitely older than the age of kid, so, its offensive in that way too.

TL;DR…..Its obvious that we’re not going to agree, and anything I type is probably going to do nothing to convince you otherwise, so I’ll say the same thing I said to the OP. Your entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to mine. That is all.

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Zera Allimatti.2541

Ad hominem attacks do offend me, but not in the sense you’re describing. I admit that sometimes I get hurt by words, and that’s my own issue, and has almost nothing to do with why I began this thread. I am offended by how these sorts of things are flung around in an attempt to derail or entirely cease actual discussion with other people. I’ve tried to describe slurs that are thrown at all types of posters, but I obviously know the ones that are usually applied to me a little bit more intimately than some of the others. This is not about defending myself. I can and generally do defend myself directly, if I feel the need. This is not an attempt to be passive-aggressive. This is just pointing out that these things are not constructive, and I won’t participate.

Thanks for the attempt to empower me, but it is truly not necessary.

It’s as necessary as your post.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I think the OP is asking that we, as forum members try to avoid using negative labels towards others just because we don’t agree with them. There is nothing wrong with that request. There are several posters here that as soon as their post is seen in a thread people respond with “hater” or “white knight” no matter what they post. Often times people just throw the label out there without even giving feedback to the topic at hand. They just say things like, “Here is the hater/white knight.” They just see the forum posters name and toss out a label. I agree it gets out of hand at times and doesn’t lead to positive discussion.

The Burninator

Zera Allimatti.2541

I think the OP is asking that we, as forum members try to avoid using negative labels towards others just because we don’t agree with them. There is nothing wrong with that request. There are several posters here that as soon as their post is seen in a thread people respond with “hater” or “white knight” no matter what they post. Often times people just throw the label out there without even giving feedback to the topic at hand. They just say things like, “Here is the hater/white knight.” They just see the forum posters name and toss out a label. I agree it gets out of hand at times and doesn’t lead to positive discussion.

Yes, but the OP is also talking about not taking part in a discussion just because it has one or two words that the OP doesn’t like. Take me, for example. I hate Quaggans. By the OP’s logic, I should not engage in any discussion that has to do with Quaggans just because quaggans. That’s a fool’s errand right there. There have been genuine discussions in this forum involving quaggans, and I’ve participated in a few. Oh gosh if I type Quaggan one more time I might puke. I better stop.

Guhracie.3419

Yes, but the OP is also talking about not taking part in a discussion just because it has one or two words that the OP doesn’t like. Take me, for example. I hate Quaggans. By the OP’s logic, I should not engage in any discussion that has to do with Quaggans just because quaggans. That’s a fool’s errand right there. There have been genuine discussions in this forum involving quaggans, and I’ve participated in a few. Oh gosh if I type Quaggan one more time I might puke. I better stop.

No, I’m talking about not engaging with people who engage in ad hominem attacks. I’m not talking about ignoring entire discussions, I’m talking about refusing to engage with people who can’t resist the urge to name-call. I’m talking about standing up and saying that I’m not going to be using these attacks, and I hope others will think about avoiding them as well. I’m trying to shine a light on the fact that these things are the go-to way to completely derail entire threads, without posting anything at all of substance, and we should not condone that.

Also, I hate quaggans.

-Mike O’Brien

Zera Allimatti.2541

I see what you’re saying, but it is all still equated to the power you give those words. Dismiss the words entirely and suddenly it’s as easy as scrolling past a post/comment/thread you don’t want to participate in. Let those people say whatever they want and think nothing of it or them. It is as easy as walking down the street, seeing a kittenroach, and going about your day as if nothing happened. By you acknowledging what they do, you are giving them power. You know how to stop a troll? Ignoring it and not ‘feeding it’. It’s the same with these words.

Ardenwolfe.8590

How this is even a debate is beyond me. Guhracie is simply saying we should be more selective in our word choices. Calling anyone a ‘white knight’ or a ‘troll’, simply because you disagree with their opinion on a topic, doesn’t further civil discussion on said topic.

It’s a valid point. And mocking it, by calling it a ‘little pledge’ and other colorful words, only reinforces the point he was making in the first place.

If you don’t like it, you can follow your own advice and also ignore it, stop feeding the thread more drama than was required, and move on.

There’s no need to be so diversive about such a simple topic.

Gone to Reddit.

Zera Allimatti.2541

How this is even a debate is beyond me. Guhracie is simply saying we should be more selective in our word choices. Calling anyone a ‘white knight’ or a ‘troll’, simply because you disagree with their opinion on a topic, doesn’t further civil discussion on said topic.

It’s a valid point. And mocking it, by calling it a ‘little pledge’ and other colorful words, only reinforces the point he was making in the first place.

If you don’t like it, you can follow your own advice and also ignore it, stop feeding the thread more drama than was required, and move on.

After you.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Words have to many meanings so no I will not sign on to this. Also everyone has moods and gets grumpy. Stuff gets said. Try not to assume the worst in people. They might have an off day. Just move on if you feel yourself getting mad. Most times it’s just a misunderstanding.

A forum troll will show it’s stripes by always acting negative in a way that will get people worked up. It’s the moderator’s job to warn the troll. For users best to note the person’s name and just ignore their threads/comments.

If you want a self improvement goal try saying something nice to one person a day. If they don’t respond in kind just move on.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I, Guhracie.3419, do pledge that I will not make use of the petty and demeaning go-to forum slurs. I also pledge that I will immediately disregard the entirety of any post making active use of these slurs, even if the overall opinion is in keeping with my own views. Henceforth, the following ad hominim attacks (and any variation thereof) will be ignored (and not used) by me:
White knight
troll
shill
haters
whiners
complainers
entitled
toxic
QQ

Please feel free to add to this list, and I will keep it updated with my own personal pledge. Feel free to modify the pledge in any way you’d like, as long as it’s in keeping with the whole theme of making the forum a more positive place to be. Let’s do a little self moderation, folks.

EDIT: To add a few I agree with. I’m also not saying that these words are ignored without context, I’m saying that when they’re slung around as slurs, I’m not going to engage with that post.

/CueHumorSadTruth

But isnt this post bound to be trolled by said trolls because they simply can? And arent the haters going to be drawn in by the trolls? Meanwhile both parties will likely tell you to QQ more about whiners like a properly self-entitled complainer, further stating that you’re creating a toxic environment.

/EndHumorSadTruth

Most humor aside, while this thread is made with good intentions, I can only see it being locked due to a literal and figurative incendiary ending.

(edited by Aidan Savage.2078)

Behellagh.1468

After you.

And some players simply like to display their debate skills. Or putting it another way …

“Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m sure someone will come along and name-call you because of this thread.

I didn’t need a crystal ball when I said this. And given certain responses . . . well . . . I’ll follow my own advice and let the moderators deal with that element.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I disagree with the inclusion of “complainer” or “complainers” as absolute terms to avoid. A complainer is simply someone who is complaining.

Nope, labeling a person something negative is always an attack.

I agree that labeling someone as a complainer in the chronic sense can be a pejorative. However, as I said in the post that you may have stopped reading once you got to the part you quoted, I see nothing demeaning about using the word as a descriptive (e.g., “The complainers are talking about a perceived loss of freedom.”).

If you disagree, so be it. There are certainly other words that could be used.

Intent plays a part in offense given. Those who use derogatory terms are generally doing so with intent (though there may be some who use them because they see others doing so).

Dave.2536

lol/10

It is only common sense to ignore rude people. How is that ad hominem? Please explain.

Dismissing a post based on the person rather than the post? There’s some hilarious irony about it. (OP later seemed to make a possible clarification that may muddy OP’s true intent. If this is the case then I have nothing more to say on the matter)

Zera is right. People need to stop giving undeserved power to words that don’t deserve it. All the attention and salt (is this an overused ignorable buzzword too?) has been paid to the “sarcastic ‘little pledge’” is .

PS: I’m not completely against the general tone and sentiment of the OP. I do, however, think that much of the overreaction occurs in the first post itself and not the reactions to it.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Dismissing a post based on the person rather than the post?

He explicitly stated he would ignore posts based on their content.

Dave.2536

Dismissing a post based on the person rather than the post?

He explicitly stated he would ignore posts based on their content.

Based on one word? On reasonable presumption of judgment from that single word? I’m not buying that as “content”.

That’s cherrypicking to the extreme. (Should we ban that word too OP?)