Forum Suggestion: Game Profile

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cauthon.1780

Cauthon.1780

We have disabled image-based signatures on purpose. Only text is permitted for forum signatures.

We have removed most advanced font formatting features such as changing text colors or sizes on purpose, because those features are often abused in forums.

As for images, they can be attached to your post. I understand that this is not ideal for certain purposes/edge cases, however attaching images to a forum post will work for the vast majority of forum users.

Hey! i know it’s been a long time since Regina made this comment but i still wondering… would it be that hard to have a character based avatar? Of course i don’t know a lot about programming and i hate to use WoW as an example but it’s not a bad idea to give de user the oportunity to pick one of their characters as a portrait, wich probably includes creating kind of a database that you don’t have i guess…

Anyways i’m starting to enjoy quite a lot the forums and i try to post as often as i can, but it feels so anonymous for all the community, i would like to put a face on that comment and also enter the profile of that witty writer and see i don’t know; how many Anet points does he got or what build is he using —- that again includes creating a database, kind of an armory like WoW…

And it’s not even offensive, is just knowing who is that person talking to you. Nothing about customized avatars or signatures or including grose images, just a healthy controlled avatar and a little bit of in game profile? Because it looks like the game and the forum haven’t got any point in common, totally different things, instead of talking to a player it feels like talking to a number.

i don’t know guys do you feel so anonymous as i do? xD

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

A picture of my character would be fine.
In fact I would love it as long as I could edit the picture myself.

But an armory like on the WoW forums is a terrible idea. I don’t want people telling me:“You only have 1k achievement points, your argument is invalid”.

On these forums we display our account name, which means we can’t hide behind alts like on the WoW forums.
That alone has resulted in people being more clever when posting.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I would love to have Armory like in WoW.Right now the anonymity is player’s best friend.Everyone is a hidden pumpkin.
Characters AP is easily seen both in game and on leader boards.Right now gear,stats and build are hidden who knows why.What are people so afraid?It’s obvious that some newbie with low pvp rating or low AP(PvE) or low rank in WvW won’t be taken seriously.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Posted by: Cauthon.1780

Cauthon.1780

I don’t know what’s with that fear of being bullied in the forums i mean, whe have wonderful moderators, we are in the official forums… if somebody is behaving like an kitten the rest of players know what to do, and if it isn’t fixed that way a moderator makes an intervention aand everyone’s happy xD

And people afraid of been treated like a newbie… well once again i think that’s an exageration, I’ve been ALWAYS kinda NOOB in every game, even in wow and nobody’s been laughting at me at forums, this isn’t LOL.
It’s comprehensible people behaving condescending with new players, or showing off, but that’s just….. society xD

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I don’t know what’s with that fear of being bullied in the forums i mean, whe have wonderful moderators, we are in the official forums… if somebody is behaving like an kitten the rest of players know what to do, and if it isn’t fixed that way a moderator makes an intervention aand everyone’s happy xD

And people afraid of been treated like a newbie… well once again i think that’s an exageration, I’ve been ALWAYS kinda NOOB in every game, even in wow and nobody’s been laughting at me at forums, this isn’t LOL.
It’s comprehensible people behaving condescending with new players, or showing off, but that’s just….. society xD

More likely people just don’t want to show what and how they are playing with,because when anyone can be inspected(stats,gear,build,achievements etc.) this brings some elitist behaviour…Yea right as we don’t have it already.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Counter point, having 10k+ AP would disallow for such a person to have any negative opinion.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Would not mind having a small avatar with an ability to have a character face there. I can understand the urge to “put a face on it”.

However, as it stands now, I am posting, not as my character, but as me. Using my account name is about as personal as it gets on a game forum for me (without impacting my privacy.) Also makes the forums look a little more.. dare I say…. “respectable”? And probably encourages some posters to take more responsibility for their posts?

Speaking of privacy, that is one of the reasons I enjoy GW2… no inspect, no armory.

As has been mentioned in numerous threads, when the inspect/armory suggestion arises: some folks have custom-designed builds and armor choices (stats AND looks) that they just do not want copied. I respect that. Besides, there is just something mildly creepy about a perfect stranger walking up and acting like a peeping tom; if I want that experience, I can just stand in line at the airport for the scanners.

Bottom line: I like the idea that posts out here are debated based on the merits of the post itself. That does not happen on forums where level, character, gear, achievements etcetera are available for cursory judgment.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014